Earthquakes around the world

Greece earthquake: Massive 7.0 quake strikes near Samos - buildings collapse in Turkey​

The earthquake struck just off the coast of west Turkey on the Greek island of Samos in the eastern Aegean Sea, about 11 miles off the coast of western Izmir, at 11.51am UK time (1.51pm local local time). Hours later a second earthquake with a magnitude of 5.1 struck the Turkish coast. The epicentre was located in the Aegean Sea, 20km from the Kuşadası region in Turkey's Aydın province, AFAP reports.

Greece earthquake: Massive 7.0 quake strikes near Samos - buildings collapse in Turkey​

The earthquake struck just off the coast of west Turkey on the Greek island of Samos in the eastern Aegean Sea, about 11 miles off the coast of western Izmir, at 11.51am UK time (1.51pm local local time). Hours later a second earthquake with a magnitude of 5.1 struck the Turkish coast. The epicentre was located in the Aegean Sea, 20km from the Kuşadası region in Turkey's Aydın province, AFAP reports.
Here is a video of the flash flooding in Samos triggered by the M7.0 earthquake:

Last week I thought of finished in the post by saying stillness before the storm. And the M7.6 in Alaska did get the big blue marble rolling.
In the usual area there were 40 out of 136 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5 and 2074 out of 2541 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 81.6%
This last week was highlighted by a M7.0 in Greece and it was the only quake above 6.0.
In the usual area there were 6 out of 107 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5 and 1744 out of 2108 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 82.7%
Earthquakes 7 days to Nov 1st 2020.gif

6.3-magnitude quake strikes off eastern Indonesia, no casualty

2020-11-01
JAKARTA, Nov. 1 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake measuring 6.3 Richter scale rocked Indonesia's eastern province of Maluku on Sunday, but did not cause damage or casualty, officials said.

The meteorology and geophysics agency did not issue a tsunami warning, as the quake did not potentially trigger giant waves.

The quake jolted at 10:43 p.m. Jakarta time (0343 GMT) with the epicenter at 193 km northeast Maluku Barat Daya district and the depth at 196 km under the sea bed, the agency said.

The intensity of the quake was felt at II to III MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) in Saumlaki town, and II MMI in Dobo town, it said.

In the nearest area with the epicenter, there were no reports of damaged buildings or casualty, and the jolts were felt weak, said Yushua Philippus, head of the operational unit of Disaster Management Agency in the district.

"It is safe. No damages were caused by the tremors. In the closest area with the epicenter, Babar island, we have checked. It is safe there," he told Xinhua.

Indonesia has been often hit by earthquakes as it sits on a vulnerable quake-impacted zone called "the Pacific Ring of Fire."

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - South Shetland Islands, Antarctica

Date & time: 2020-11-06 11:49:19 UTC -
Local time at epicenter: Friday, 6 Nov 8.49 pm (GMT -3)
Magnitude: 6.0
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 62.3°S / 58.26°W
AQ.png
(Antarctica)
Nearest volcano: Penguin Island (19 km / 12 mi)

5.8-magnitude quake hits Volcano Islands, Japan region

2020-11-07
HONG KONG, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.8 jolted Volcano Islands, Japan region at 01:10:32 GMT on Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 17.76 km, was initially determined to be at 25.6893 degrees north latitude and 143.6273 degrees east longitude.

This last week was highlighted by a M7.0 in Greece and it was the only quake above 6.0.
In the usual area there were 6 out of 107 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5 and 1744 out of 2108 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 82.7%
The past week was more quiet at least from big quakes. It had three M6, the highest being a M6.1 in Tonga.
In the usual area, there were 7 out of 87 earthquakes equal or greater than 4,5 and 1724 out of 2034 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 84,8%
Earthquakes 7 days to Nov 8th 2020.gif

We just had a 4.0 earthquake in Massachusetts this morning! I was outside cutting my way through a large briar patch when wife and daughter came running out of the house to say they felt/heard an earthquake. I didn’t feel or hear a thing.

The current Earth Changes continue unabated.
We just had a 4.0 earthquake in Massachusetts this morning! I was outside cutting my way through a large briar patch when wife and daughter came running out of the house to say they felt/heard an earthquake. I didn’t feel or hear a thing.

An overview of the radio observations during October 2020 is given.
The graphs show both the daily totals (Figure 1) and the hourly numbers (Figure 2) of “all” reflections counted automatically, and of manually counted “overdense” reflections, overdense reflections longer than 10 seconds and longer than 1 minute, as observed here at Kampenhout (BE) on the frequency of our VVS-beacon (49.99 MHz) during the month of October 2020.

The hourly numbers, for echoes shorter than 1 minute, are weighted averages derived from:

verbelen_averages.png

Local interference and unidentified noise remained moderate during most of the month and only on 3 days lightning activity was detected.

Due to a technical problem the beacon power was reduced from 12 till 17 October. This is clearly seen in the plot of “all” reflections which are counted automatically, but hardly affected the manually counted overdense and longer reflections.

Although the Draconids and Orionids often produce a nice show, this time they were hardly eye-casting. The most striking activity increase happened on October 16th (solar longitude 203.1°) with a clear increase of reflections longer than 10 seconds.

This month 15 reflections longer than 1 minute were observed here. A selection of these, together with some other interesting reflections are included (Figures 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11).

If you are interested in the actual figures, or in plots showing the observations as related to the solar longitude (J2000) rather than to the calendar date. I can send you the underlying Excel files and/or plots. Please send me an e-mail: felix.verbelen at skynet.be.
202010_49990_FV_perDay.png

From the Independent:

New England was hit by strongest earthquake in the region for decades

Southern New England was hit by the strongest earthquake in the region for decades. It rattled homes but did not cause any significant damage.

At 9am on Sunday, the area was hit by a 3.6 magnitude earthquake that was centered in Buzzards Bay, off the coast of New Bedford, Massachusetts, according to the US Geological Survey's National Earthquake (USGS) information centre.

The earthquake hit the area at a depth of around 9.3 miles and was felt in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and as far away as Long Island, New York.

It was the strongest to have hit the area since 1976, when a magnitude 3.5 earthquake was recorded, USGS geophysicist Paul Caruso told the Associated Press.

The agency's website recorded around 14,000 visitors in the hours after the earthquake, with people from 100 miles away reporting the incident.

Mr Caruso said it is not unusual for earthquakes in New England to be felt that far away.

"It's common for them to be felt very far away because the rock here is old and continuous and transmits the energy a long way," he said.

Ali Kenner Brodsky, who lives in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, which is not located far from the epicentre of the earthquake, told the AP that she was sitting in her kitchen talking with her son, when it hit.

"It was a rumbling. It sounded like something exploded. It rumbled. The whole house shook," she said.

Ms Brodsky told the AP that the earthquake lasted for about 10 to 15 seconds, and added: "In that moment, it feels like it's going on forever."

Chris Besse, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, said it had not received any reports of significant damage, although there were some reports of minor incidents.

The police in Fall River tweeted about the earthquake, and revealed that it had received several phone calls from local residents reporting that street signs had become uprooted in the incident.

Mr Caruso said that 3.6 magnitude earthquakes rarely cause any major damage.

Additional reporting by the Associated Press

6.0-magnitude quake hits 289 km WNW of Haveluloto, Tonga -- USGS

2020-11-11
HONG KONG, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.0 jolted 289 km WNW of Haveluloto, Tonga at 00:48:43 GMT on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 416.93 km, was initially determined to be at 19.7409 degrees south latitude and 177.5517 degrees west longitude.

Moderate earthquake, 5.7 mag has occurred near Volcano Islands, Japan region
November 11, 2020
A moderate earthquake with magnitude 5.7 (ml/mb) was reported Volcano Islands, Japan region (0 miles) on Wednesday. The temblor was reported at 05:17:56 / 5:17 am (local time epicenter). Unique identifier: us7000cd9a. Ids that are associated to the event: us7000cd9a. Exact location of event, longitude 142.7625 East, latitude 25.4623 North, depth = 10 km. Global time and date of event 11/11/20 / 2020-11-11 05:17:56 / November 11, 2020 @ 5:17 am UTC/GMT. The epicenter was at a depth of 10 km (6 miles). A tsunami warning has not been issued (Does not indicate if a tsunami actually did or will exist).

In the past 24 hours, there have been one, in the last 10 days two, in the past 30 days two and in the last 365 days six earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater that have been detected nearby. Every year there are an estimated 1320 moderate earthquakes in the world. Earthquakes 5.0 to 6.0 may cause light damage to buildings and other structures.

A strong earthquake at 5 am woke up the town of Gostivar where I live. it was 5.0 Magnitude and the epicenter was in the National Park Mavrovo about 15Km SW from the town.
To be honest I didn't felt anything. I woke up because my parrot started to panic and fly inside his cage. I woke up, turned the light on and saw him in panic. I thought that he was scared by some insect or something like that. Then I heard my son and my mother talking about the earthquake. People from the neighborhood were very upset and a lot of them went outside. No visible damage in the town. Maybe there is some damage at the epicenter, I don't know.

Just one small aftershock an hour ago. It was about 3.6 magnitude.

Back
Top Bottom