Elderberries Block Flu Virus From Attaching To and Entering Human Cells

I've never made any type of infusion, but it seems the flowers are also medicinal.

When we were children, my mother would use the flowers when we had eye infections. She would make tea with the dried elderberry flowers and she would steep a gauze into it and then apply it on our eyes for a few minutes. I remember it working. She would also give us the tea to drink as well, and with a little honey, it tasted really good.

Some of the elderberry flowers' benefits:

Elder flower (Sambucus nigra) has been used in traditional medicine all over the world in many different cultures due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. The most common uses are for colds and flu, sinus infections, and other respiratory disturbances.

A cup of hot, elder flower tea is sweat-inducing and is ideal for
  • colds and influenza
  • any chronic nasal and bronchial catarrh
  • bronchitis
  • to counter rheumatic complaints.
As an oral rinse, elder flower can be used for its antiseptic properties
  • as a mouthwash and gargle
  • to alleviates tonsillitis
  • and for a sore throats
A hot infusion of the flowers can be used as an eye wash for conjunctivitis. It is soothing and comforting to apply to sore eyes after a day’s work. A side-benefit is the astringent quality means to improves skin tone and function, removing the odd wrinkle.

When we were children, my mother would use the flowers when we had eye infections. She would make tea with the dried elderberry flowers and she would steep a gauze into it and then apply it on our eyes for a few minutes. I remember it working. She would also give us the tea to drink as well, and with a little honey, it tasted really good.

Some of the elderberry flowers' benefits:

You've inspired me, Alana! This year I'm going to try to get the flowers and dry them, as well as dry some of the berries for tea.
Thank you! 😊

I find them growing wild and try to scope out a few patches early in the summer, usually in the ditches along back roads. They grow wild in the US in grow zones 3-8. They are also widespread in Europe.

This is really interesting, I was always told elderberries were very healthy and medicinal by my grandma. She never let me eat the fresh fruit and told me it had to be prepared properly before being eaten, but I guess this may have been due to her awareness of my digestive issues when I was little rather than the fruit itself.

Elderberry may be another one of those long forgotten natural remedies, such as iodine or AHT.

I just bought some dried elderberries that can be used to make tea and I think I'll make smoothies with them as well. I guess it won't hurt to try them out. The flu season is in bloom and it would be great to avoid getting ill!
I found out the hard way, half an hour before a job interview, that eating them without cooking/boiling can lead to nausea and vomiting.(I was excited to try them and they sort of smelled chocolatey:ohboy: )So I'd say making a smoothie is a no-go unless you do it with the leftover pulp after making tea with them. I personally let them steep for 15 min, and havent done that with more than a teaspoon of the dehydrated ones at a time.

So far, between drinking that tea daily and doing intermittent fasting, I've avoided getting sick, even when surrounded by sick people, FWIW. 👍

I found out the hard way, half an hour before a job interview, that eating them without cooking/boiling can lead to nausea and vomiting.(I was excited to try them and they sort of smelled chocolatey:ohboy: )So I'd say making a smoothie is a no-go unless you do it with the leftover pulp after making tea with them. I personally let them steep for 15 min, and havent done that with more than a teaspoon of the dehydrated ones at a time.

So far, between drinking that tea daily and doing intermittent fasting, I've avoided getting sick, even when surrounded by sick people, FWIW. 👍

Wow, that’s really interesting. Thank you for mentioning it, I was totally going to just throw them in a smoothie raw. Clearly my grandma was right about avoiding eating them raw!

The instructions on the seller’s website also say that they must be consumed after being cooked and not raw but I thought it’s just one of those things sellers put on their products due to legal requirements. For example, my iodine bottle says it’s for external use only and I’ve never had issues taking it internally.

You probably just saved me form a not-so-fun day at work Temperance, thank you! :flowers:

Wow, that’s really interesting. Thank you for mentioning it, I was totally going to just throw them in a smoothie raw. Clearly my grandma was right about avoiding eating them raw!

The instructions on the seller’s website also say that they must be consumed after being cooked and not raw but I thought it’s just one of those things sellers put on their products due to legal requirements. For example, my iodine bottle says it’s for external use only and I’ve never had issues taking it internally.
Plants can nourish, heal and also cause discomfort and much worse. Here is more about these berries:
Sambucus - Wikipedia has
Sambucus is a genus of flowering plants in the family Adoxaceae. The various species are commonly called elder or elderberry. The genus was formerly placed in the honeysuckle family, Caprifoliaceae, but was reclassified as Adoxaceae due to genetic and morphological comparisons to plants in the genus Adoxa.
Next:
Toxicity
Although the cooked berries (pulp and skin) of most species of Sambucus are edible,[7][8] the uncooked berries and other parts of plants from this genus are poisonous.[9] Leaves, twigs, branches, seeds, roots, flowers, and berries of Sambucus plants produce cyanogenic glycosides, which have toxic properties.[9]

Ingesting a sufficient quantity of cyanogenic glycosides from berry juice, flower tea, or beverages made from fresh leaves, branches, and fruit has been shown to cause illness, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and weakness.[7][9][10] In August 1983, a group of 25 people in Monterey County, California became suddenly ill by ingesting elderberry juice pressed from fresh, uncooked Sambucus mexicana berries, leaves, and stems.[10] The density of cyanogenic glycosides is higher in tea made from flowers (or leaves) than it is in berries.[9][11]

The seeds of Sambucus callicarpa are poisonous and may cause vomiting or diarrhea.[12]
The above is a general description and then one can search for the properties of individual species.
If the one your Grandma used was the common European one, Sambucus nigra, then there is plenty of Wikis and to get a more complete picture one can translate different ones to see what they write. I have found one sometimes can find perspectives on non-english Wikis that are richer in some respects. Sambucus nigra - Wikipedia
Poisonous to mammals
Except for the flowers and ripe berries (but including the ripe seeds), all parts of the plant are poisonous to mammals, containing the cyanogenic glycoside sambunigrin (C14H17NO6, CAS number 99-19-4).[30] The bark contains calcium oxalate crystals.
The Polish when Google translated:
Toxic properties All parts of the fresh plant contain cyanogenic glycosides : sambunigrin and sambucin , which are toxic in humans in larger quantities [17] . Fruits contain them in an immature state [18] . High temperature (cooking and frying uncovered) removes their poisonous properties. Most often poisoning occurs as a result of consumption of unripe and unprocessed fruit. Symptoms of intoxication are: weakness, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate and breathing disorders up to shortness of breath. First aid is to provoke vomiting and gastric lavage. Necessary doctor's help [23] .In pollen, flowers and fruits, 33.2 kDa protein was found to cause allergic reactions such as rhinitis, conjunctivitis and dyspnoea [24] .
I can attest the to the "larger quantities". as, I have tried eating a few raw berries, when still a child, without getting sick. They don't taste particularly well when raw.

If I recall correctly from my year of studying Naturopathy:
Elderberry, Golden Seal and Echinacea liquid herbal extracts are brilliant in the defence against colds/flu. I will look up my herbal medicine books for more details and a clinical overview. In the mean time, here is an excerpt by the American Herbal Council’s The Clinical Guide to Elderberry regarding the various types of Elderberry, pharmacological actions, dosages and clinical studies etc:

http://cms.herbalgram.org/press/files/elderberry-scr.pdf

One wonders, of course, if Elderberry's flu virus blocking capacities might be helpful with other viruses?
It may take a the glance of medical knowledgeable person to see how many of the conditions mentioned below, that have been treated with elderberries in traditional medicine could be attributed to a virus. Another question is, if it is believable, knowing the properties of sambucus bush/tree, that it would work in practice. At the ind I included the use of Elderberry in Chinese medicine, which is a little different form how it was used in Europe, but with some overlap.
Some claim elderberry has been attributed with antiviral properties which should included more than just flues and colds.
Below are some excerpts
This plant is used as a medicinal plant by native peoples and herbalists.[21][22] Extracts of the flowers and fruits are used in bronchitis, cough, upper respiratory cold infections, and fever, and have recently been shown to reduce the incidence of cold, as well as shorten the duration of cold and flu symptoms.[23][24][medical citation needed] Topical extracts of the leaves and bark are also used.

Sambucus nigra fruits and flowers have been used in traditional Austrian medicine – internally (fruits as tea, jelly, juice, or syrup; flowers as tea or syrup) for treatment of disorders of the respiratory tract, mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and skin, and for viral infections, fever, colds, and influenza.[25][26] The first book about the medicinal properties of the plant was written by German physician Martin Blochwich in the 1620s.

The dried corollas and stamens of Sambucus nigra L. (Sambucus, British Pharmaceutical Codex, 1949) have been used as a vehicle for eye and skin lotions, while the fruits are used to promote urination.[27]
Then a Google translation of the Polish:
Medicinal plant
History

Black elderberry has been a popular plant used for medicinal purposes for centuries. In ancient Egypt, the plant was used to treat burns [18] . In Europe, flowers were formerly used to stimulate lactation in lactating women [4] . In traditional medicine, elderberry extract was used to treat diabetes [43] . In North America (subsp. Canadensis ) the plant was used by Indians to treat colds and skin diseases [18] .
Herb raw material
According to Farmakopea Polska, the herbal raw material is flowers ( Flos Sambuci ) and ripe (black) fruits ( Fructus Sambuci ) [4] . However, bark ( Cortex Sambuci ), roots ( Radix Sambuci ) and leaves ( Folium Sambuci ) also have medicinal properties [44] .
Action and use in medicine

Flowers act or are attributed to them: diuretic, diaphoretic, antipyretic, expectorant, and externally also anti-inflammatory. Fruits have laxative properties, have diaphoretic, diuretic, antipyretic, analgesic, detoxifying effects [14] , hypolipemic (they lower triglycerides, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (in medical tests these views have not been confirmed [18] ), antiviral and immunostimulatory [45] ] . Due to the high anthocyanin content, the fruit has a potential antioxidant effect [18] .

Infusions of flowers are used for colds, to treat various types of catarrh and inflammation of the respiratory tract and rheumatic diseases. Decoctions used to treat migraine , neuralgia , diarrhea , rheumatic and neurological diseases are usually made of fruits , and thanks to their detoxifying properties also in metabolic disorders. Externally, infusions of flowers are used to rinse skin with dermatitis, skin blemishes and burns, rinse the mouth and throat with inflammation, and wash the eyes with conjunctivitis [14]. Infusions of elderberry flowers with colds have many times more powerful effect than infusions of linden. Bark from two and three-year-old twigs in folk medicine was used as a diuretic more potent than flowers and fruit. Elderberry flowers including chamomile are used to reduce menstrual pain. Some recommend using a mixture of elderberries, chamomile and rue . Fruit extracts also have a weak analgesic effect. They can be used to wash the mouth after tooth extraction and facial nerve paralysis [4] .

Studies in mice using an aqueous extract of dried flowers confirm the effect on glucose transport and glycogenesis in muscles. The effect on glucose uptake may be caused by the action of active substances on insulin receptors [43] . Traditionally, elderberry is also used to treat viral diseases [46] . Elderberry juice is used to treat flu and colds. The positive effect of ingestion has been confirmed in in vivo [47] and in vitro [46] studies . The extract enables the prevention and treatment of infectious bronchitis in chickens [48]. The beneficial effect on the health of diabetics and the improvement of the immune system is associated with the content of natural polyphenols, including anthocyanins [49] .

The effectiveness and safety of using fruit or leaf extract as a natural antidepressant has also been confirmed [50] . Antiviral and antibacterial activity (against Streptococcus pyogenes groups C and G and Moraxella catarrhalis ) has been confirmed in clinical studies [18] . The immune-enhancing effect is associated with increased production of proinflammatory cytokinins in human monocytes [18] . The beneficial diuretic effect is not associated with the solubility of kidney stones [18] .

Harvesting and drying
Flowers are collected on a sunny day when they bloom but do not fade. Avoid collecting rotten or dried (brown) raw material, as it causes rotting of the remaining raw material when drying. Flowers are cut with whole umbels. It is best to dry in a ventilated and dry place, with a thin layer, at a temperature no higher than 35 degrees Celsius. A good raw material cannot be brewed and is whitish yellow (brown should be discarded during drying). It is best to collect the fruit after a rainy day, but on a sunny day, when they are mostly fully ripe (black and purple). Green and unripe are discarded because they contain large amounts of sambunigrin [4] [23] .

Dosage
Elderberry medicinal preparations are considered safe and are well tolerated in clinical trials. It is recommended to use an infusion of 10-15 g flowers per day. In the case of fruit, syrup containing about 30-38% berries is used in doses of 15 mL 3 times a day. Powdered fruit extracts are used 2-3 times a day in 500 mg capsules. Ingestion of too high doses may cause nausea , diarrhea and polyuria [18] .
Compared to the above the English is more restricted. First there is information of the sambucus group
Nutrition
Raw elderberries are 80% water, 18% carbohydrates, and less than 1% each of protein and fat (table). In a 100 gram amount, elderberries supply 73 calories and are a rich source of vitamin C, providing 43% of the Daily Value (DV). Elderberries also have moderate contents of vitamin B6 (18% DV) and iron (12% DV), with no other nutrients in significant content (table).

Dietary supplement
Elderberry fruit or flowers are used as dietary supplements to prevent or provide relief from minor diseases, such as flu, colds, constipation, and other conditions, often served as a tea, extract, or in a capsule.[7] There is insufficient research to establish its effectiveness for such uses, or its safety profile.[7]

Traditional medicine
Although traditional medicine uses of elderberry occurred over centuries,[20] there is no scientific evidence that such practices provide any benefit.[7]

Other
The flowers of Sambucus nigra are used to produce elderflower cordial. St-Germain, a French liqueur, is made from elderflowers. Hallands Fläder, a Swedish akvavit, is flavoured with elderflowers.

Hollowed elderberry twigs have traditionally been used as spiles to tap maple trees for syrup.[22]

The fruit of S. callicarpa is eaten by birds and mammals. It is inedible to humans when raw but can be made into wine.[12]

In the The Chinese Wiki on the Sambucus group there is mentioned:
Elderberry berries are edible, the flowers and the berries can also be brewed wine, flowers can make tea, berries can make jam, but elderberry green parts and unripe fruit is toxic, the color of the berries the seeds are toxic, when eaten must be careful.

Elderberry can also be used as an ornamental tree, its branches can be used as medicine, can rheumatism, and blood meridians, the treatment of bruises.
Chinese Wiki on European Elder
Western elderberry containing elderberry anthocyanins, the anthocyanin glucoside and cyanohydrin glycosides (canogenlc glucosides, and iridoid glycosides (iridoid glucoside, and Morrow Honeysuckle glycosides (morroniside and chemical composition. Western elderberry and elderberry, the gross elderberry stems and branches the same as the traditional Chinese medicine elderberry the base of the original [10]

Traditional Chinese medicine elderberries promote sweating, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, and to have improved hay fever, treatment of rheumatism, blood and bone, swelling and gout and other effects.[11]

How very interesting! I’ve been using elderberry syrup for years at the first sign of illness especially with my grandkids. I need to pass this study along to the parents I know as a good reminder. Great for adults too and so yummy! With the latest flu scare, I’ve been wondering what can be added to our protacall for fighting illness and strengthening immune systems. High dose vit C with baking soda along with hydrosol silver are the main ones I use. Adding Vit D and zinc when I remember. Reinforce the elderberries. When I was a kid, I loved to eat them fresh off the bush. Berries have always been my favorite fruit, is that some kind of 4D suseptability?;-D
Thanks!
I’m going to take spoonful now.

Last edited:
Hello,

Elder tree in my country (Croatia) has many usages in traditional medicine and general usage.
Here I´ve listed most common ones.

FLOWERS

Most common traditional use of Elder tree flowers is in form of a tea or syrup/juice.

TEA
Basic recipe for tea is: Pour 3-5 grams of dried flowers with 250 ml or one cup of boiling water. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes, then strain.
  • Help in the treatment of viruses, flu and colds. It will also alleviate cough and respiratory problems. One season it with honey.
  • Cold tea to rinse your throat in case of inflammation of the tonsils or purulent angina (usually also with sage)
  • Put one teaspoon of dried flowers flower and one chamomile dry flower in one larger bowl. Pour over 400 ml of hot water and let stand for 10 minutes. Lean your head over the pot, cover with a cloth, steam and inhale. Repeat this twice a day and it will help with mucus buildup, sinus infections as well as infections and sore throats. In addition, it has a beneficial effect on the skin and soothes the eyes.
Tea is usually prepared from elder flowers alone, or mixed with rose hip, chamomile or mint.
Tea from the flowers of elderberry is used in the treatment of colds, flu, bronchitis, coughs, initial pneumonia, asthma, scarlet fever, heavy breathing, initial tuberculosis and all rheumatic diseases. It can even be given to children during eruptive diseases such as measles and chickenpox to help extract rash and speed recovery.
Flowers and berries help with coughing, cause sweating, which means they can be used against fever. In doing so, they remove toxins from the body through sweat.

STEAM
Take a teaspoon of dried flowers and one dried chamomile flower, pour over 400 ml of hot water and let stand for 10 minutes. Lean your head over the pot, cover with a cloth, steam and inhale.
Repeat this twice a day and it will help with mucus buildup, sinus infections as well as infections and sore throats. In addition, it has a beneficial effect on the skin and soothes the eyes.

SYRUP/JUICE
Basic traditional recipe for syrup is:
35-40 big freshly picked fully opened flowers
4 kg of sugar --> sugar can be probably replaced with Xylitol
4 l of water
1 kg of lemon
12 dag of citric acid
Mix 2 liters of water, flowers, 2 kg of sugar and finely chopped lemon. Let stand for 24 hours, but occasionally mix. Strain the liquid and then add another 2 kg of sugar, 2 l of water and citric acid. So leave it standing for another 24 hours and this time you have to stir occasionally. After that, pour everything into bottles and store it in some dark and cold place.
This refreshing syrup is diluted with water and is perfect for summer time. One can add more lemon juice and fresh mint leaves for more taste.

BERRIES

From berries are traditionally prepared tea or marmalade.

TEA
The berry tea is prepared by boiling 10-15g of dried berries in half a liter of water for 10 minutes, letting it stand for 10 minutes and strain. Add lemon juice, sweeten (if needed) and drink during the day. This tea may have a mild laxative effect.

Traditionally, along with elder flowers tea, there are more remedies that are very often used in my country for fighting flue or cold in combination with with elder flowers tea and one on the top is Propolis.
It is most common used in form of a drops or a spray.
I use it in both ways:
- spray: when I have some throat issues or funny feeling, I spray a little and it helps me.
- drops or spray: when I feel that I will get that nasty herpes on the lip, as soon as I feel that something might came up, I quickly put a lot of propolis drops on the spot and after 10mins I don´t feel that any more.
- drops: put a drop or two in a little tea and drink that few times a day when I´m sick - it tastes very bitter
So, it is one of the top allies in fighting any flue or cold from where I come from. Also I know people that are allergic to penicillin, use propolis. So it has antibiotic and antiviral effects.

All the best,
Marija

The foraging website that I noted in previous post above (Elderberry) says this about the taste and use:

The elderberry flowers are a good raw snack, eaten right off the tree. Other popular uses include adding the flowers to muffins, pancakes, frosting and batter-frying them into fritters. They can also be used to flavor assorted non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks.

The berries do NOT taste great raw due to the presence of a rather off-putting volatile oil. However, drying or cooking the berries drives off this chemical resulting in a really good flavor. Add the berries raw or dried berries to pancakes, muffins or other batter-style cooked goods. Elderberry jam and jelly is an old-time favorite. Of course, the most popular way to use elderberries is to make wine!

Great stuff!
Just a quick question for people speaking serbo-croatian, I am still not 100% sure which flower this is on regional language.
Da li je elder berry crna zova ili aronija? :)

Great stuff!
Just a quick question for people speaking serbo-croatian, I am still not 100% sure which flower this is on regional language.
Da li je elder berry crna zova ili aronija? :)
Sambucus nigra is "crna bazga" in croatian, and "crna zova" is the same plant. Here, where I live, dried flowers are most commonly used to make tea, and fresh flowers to make syrup (with sugar), which are used diluted with water for beverage. Fresh elderberry fruits are not used
because although they are edible, they can reportedly cause nausea, as stated in this article:

Back
Top Bottom