Experiment with Fruitarian Diet as a healing Diet

Keyhole said:
Ant22 said:
Keyhole said:
(...) You should go onto the "chronometer" website for a free trial to plug in your nutrient data and take a look at what the diet is lacking in. This can be an eye opening experience. (...)

Hey Keyhole, sorry to jump in! I was wondering if you meant this website/app? https://cronometer.com/ Or a different one?
Yep, sorry it was not "chronometer" but actually cronometer, the website you linked to. You basically input your diet with approximate weights of different foods, and it will provide you with data about the nutrient status of the diet. With a paleo diet with no dairy products, it is really difficult to meet calcium requirements. Even magnesium requirements was difficult for me.

The only way that I could hit all of the nutrients was by factoring in beef liver, a LOT of kale (mostly for calcium and magnesium), and egg yolks. Those were the single three most nutritious foods in my diet, so they are the ones I try to maximise. (...)

Thank you Keyhole, I thought I'd ask since I did find "chronometers" but none of them was related to diet. Thank you for the additional advice relating to calcium and magnesium requirements on a paleo diet too, I supplement magnesium but I never paid much attention to calcium.

I used to get muscle spasms / twitches and they improved (but not really disappeared) with calcium supplementation. Having read your post I also read up about calcium deficiency and it's also a symptom of calcium deficiency too! What's more, it looks like magnesium and calcium deficiency are related and both are negatively affected by caffeine (which I do drink).

Keyhole said:
I think the most important thing to remember here is context. Different diets suit different people, and this is probably based on one's environment, genetics etc. I personally know of a couple of vegans who appear to be doing quite well with their health, but at the same time I know others who's health is falling apart.

I too have met vegans who seem healthy and they tell me their health improved significantly when they became vegan. But what about issues such as the ones described in the below post from the Vegetarian Stance thread? The negative impact of those deficiencies may take years to develop and since it is the nervous system and the brain that are affected, they may not be as obvious to someone as digestive system or skin problems.

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,20771.msg242949/topicseen.html#msg242949
"There is overwhelming evidence that we can not be a vegetarian species. In 1972 the publication of two independent investigations confirmed this.-1-2They concerned fats. About half our brain and nervous system is composed of complicated, long-chain, fatty acids. These are also used in the walls of our blood vessels. Without them we cannot develop normally. These fatty acids do not occur in plants, although fatty acids in a simpler form do. This is where plant-eating herbivores come in. Over the year, the herbivores convert the simple fatty acids found in grasses and seeds into intermediate, more complicated forms. By eating the herbivores we can convert their stores of these fatty acids into the ones we need." {Sinclair AJ. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in mammalian brain. Proc Nutr Soc 1975; 34: 287-91. }

(...) There IS scientific proof that vegetarians suffer from brain shrinkage. "Scientists at the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, recently discovered that changing to a vegetarian diet could be bad for our brains - with those on a meat-free diet six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage." {Vogiatzoglou A, et al. Vitamin B12 status and rate of brain volume loss in community-dwelling elderly. Neurology 2008; 71(11): 826-32 }

I really have no idea how a fruitarian - or any other vegan diet can get past the above issues and their negative impact on the brain and the nervous system.

Ant22 said:
(...) I used to get muscle spasms / twitches and they improved (but not really disappeared) with calcium supplementation. Having read your post I also read up about calcium deficiency and it's also a symptom of calcium deficiency too! What's more, it looks like magnesium and calcium deficiency are related and both are negatively affected by caffeine (which I do drink). (...)

I'm sorry for the noise, I meant magnesium supplementation. :-[ I've never supplemented calcium.

Thanks Keyhole. You've helped clue me into making changes in my diet and I'm reviewing Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas. I do think I became deficient in some key areas and a life long struggle with sugar once again has been creating issues. I'm excited about this company, Viva, and their Krill oil in particular which I think will be a very good addition for me. https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-Krill-Oil-Antarctic/dp/B004TBCT4G/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1514826024&sr=1-4&keywords=viva+krill+oil

I'm also going to get a calcium/magnesium supplement next time I buy. When I was pregnant, I knew nothing about magnesium but took calcium regularly which made a obvious contribution to alleviating leg cramps. I'm also upping the veggies. Might give kale chips a try. I dont have much of an appetite for organ meats which I never eat, nor eating substantial amounts of kale, so holes in my keto diet right there as well. I was not being "well formulated".

Just as an aside, almost every client that I work with dietarily is already on a ketogenic diet.
odyssic,

I think the most important thing to remember here is context. Different diets suit different people, and this is probably based on one's environment, genetics etc. I personally know of a couple of vegans who appear to be doing quite well with their health, but at the same time I know others who's health is falling apart.

The problem here for me is that a diet like fruitarianism is so restrictive, and since I have some training in nutrition, this sticks out like a big red flag for me. Generally, if a diet is restrictive, it needs to be very well formulated to be achieving good micro nutrient levels. Honestly, this is hard to do. This is why there is such a thing as the "well-formulated ketogenic diet" instead of the standard "ketogenic diet", because typically a ketogenic/paleo diet is massively lacking in calcium and magnesium and a bunch of other things which need to be carefully calculated and tailored in individually. Likewise, vegan/fruitarianism is shocking for certain nutrients. You should go onto the "chronometer" website for a free trial to plug in your nutrient data and take a look at what the diet is lacking in. This can be an eye opening experience.

If you take a look at Dr Weston A Price's work, you will see that there were no traditional societies which completely omitted animal foods. Each one had some dairy, or eggs, or meat, or fish, or a mixture of all of them. A "traditional" diet based purely on fruit does not (as per my knowledge) exist anywhere on earth - or at least in any population-wide case that has been documented and verified.

There are personal accounts of this diet just like breatharianism, but ultimately these are just hearsay. Can anyone provide any hard data on the efficacy of a fruitarian diet long-term? I can't find ANYTHING on pubmed. On the other hand, there are plenty of studies showing how detrimental an essential amino acid deficiency can be, and I struggle to see how fruit can provide enough amino acids to fuel metabolism. Similarly, research demonstrating deficiencies in primarily animal-derived nutrients like choline + retinol + zinc + carnitine + CLA + menaquinone + etc can all be fatal. So we are in a situation where we have two choices : 1.act based on objective/semi-objective data and personal experience, or 2. act on anecdotal accounts of things happening a couple of centuries ago.

Thanks for the information and the thoughts. I've also obsessively researched these traditional societies, and there is another crucial distinction to make. These traditional societies already had a baseline of health, so these diets may be sustaining. However, in times of healing, something more extreme is often undertaken, and many of these societies were in touch with fasting and limiting diets during times of healing. I've found that in our culture, you can eat a very clean diet, ketogenic or otherwise, which would sustain a healthy body, but which does not allow the body to heal from whatever budding afflictions it is already carrying.

This is why I turned to this path for healing. Also, as we know (it being one of the more popular dietary trends in America), many are already on a variant of the ketogenic diet, and while they stabilize their symptoms, usually the underlying condition is not healed.

So for healing, even Dom D'angostino (while he is interviewed by Tim Ferriss), says that ketogenic approaches are full of promise (particularly "A medically therapeutic ketogenic diet, traditionally used to support childhood epilepsy, is typically very low in protein, contains dairy and some other things, is very high in fat, and does not necessarily include much variation.") , for brain development, cancer treatment, and strength building, etc, however, the most they can do at this point is increase the healing response after traditional cancer therapies, if a fast is undertaken before treatment, if the body has enough extra weight. I believe ketogenic diets were developed for the specific treatment of disease, and abandoned when they were found not to work. A fruit of vegan-ish diet often allows one to bypass the need for cancer treatment, which may be more harmful than effective in most cases.

The limiting of dietary intake, calorie restriction, reduced food groups, all seem to aid healing, which perhaps counters the idea that lacking certain nutrients is the cause of most disease. Ehret thought that once the system was clear, the body could synthesize certain nutrients from the air, the sunlight, that we, as more congested 'omnivores', think we need to get from food. I haven't seen a study on this, because I don't know where they'd get the subjects!

The challenge is, sometimes 'heresay' is the only way information can reach us, because scientific agendas skew the results, so it often merits further investigation, and that's what I'm doing, through testing on myself, and then with clients. I've pointed out that Dr. Morse runs a clinic that specializes in healing cancer with just fruit and herbs, so this approach for healing is certainly beyond conjecture, in my mind.

Hilton Hotema was an interesting if eccentric thinker. He did spend 50 years looking for articles in newspapers, and saved the ones that seemed to merit further investigation. Often, his stories begin with 'in 1940, the London Times posted an article that said... '

So, whether a fruitarian, vegetarian, or vegan diet is the long term solution for humanity is as of yet unproven, however, for healing, it seems dramatically more effective than other approaches. Most of the 'raw food / fasting' clinics in the late 19th, early 20th century report astounding successes, and they probably have records somewhere if one were so inclined to dig them up. However, I'm unaware of a ketogenic clinic which can report such success in healing mental and physical conditions. Another issue, is that while I understand the use of fats to nourish brain chemistry, many of these clinics were foremost 'sanitariums' for mental issues, and many seem to have been healed of their affliction by simply clearing congestion from the head.

Atherov published his groundbreaking book, Raw Eating, and raised a raw vegan daughter, and sent his book, at his own expense, to 400 heads of state to spread the word. He died in his 90's in Iran in a prison 'for his beliefs', from what I could gather. But, as a doctor, he did write pretty extensively on his experience with healing patients, as did Bircher-Benner, another that came to the raw food (mostly) approach with astounding success.

In my opinion, studies are, by their nature, inherently incomplete. They are based on assumptions. They only provide some evidence, and can be used to prove just about anything. Ie, how the tobacco studies were used, in spite of that fact the people smoke in most of the longest living cultures in the world. Semi- objective would be more objective than I'd be willing to concede for most studies.

Joanna Brandt wrote the Grape Cure, because her family and friends in South Africa were dying of cancer and other diseases (late 19th century) at relatively young ages. She writes at the introduction that they mostly lived on 'game meats'.

In most ways, I feel better than I've felt in my life (more energy, better hair growth, better skin, better muscle tone, level moods, no dark circles under eyes, less congestion, better sleep), so I'm not at this moment compelled to receive a reading from a 'chronometer', a device and a mentality which would probably not have existed in any of the cultures that Weston Price studied. And while the Weston Price work is edifying and interesting, I'd have to go through and see how long-lived the cultures he studied were... my guess is that their longevity was not remarkable, though being relatively free of disease, and mineral rich in the bones, is certainly an important consideration.

The Ahkhazians seem to be the incontestable ancient people, at least on record, though perhaps there are people's in remote regions somewhere that live longer. The work on them makes them more accessible than most, and there are many cases of them living over 150.

I suggest reading How to Live to Be 100, for their dietary practices in the 70's.

Which we can sum up like this:

"Fresh food, as far as we know, has been appreciated in both preliterate and modern Caucasian cultures. They do use dried meat when fresh is not available, and some pickled foods. Leftovers are discarded. They are aware that the loss of freshness means the loss of nutrients and good taste. The Caucasians consider storing unclean and unhealthy. Spices are ground just before they are used, and Caucasians avoid storing herbs, which gradually lose their flavor and color.​
Wild growing plants are plentiful in the woods and meadows of the Caucasus and are collected eagerly. They are equal if not superior to the cultivated species in vitamins, oils, protein, and natural sugars.​
The Rules of Diet
Two factors remain constant in the Caucasian diet:​

1. No overeating. Fewer calories are consumed in all areas of the Caucasus than the AMA recommends for Americans. Experiments conducted at Cornell University by Clive McKay showed that restricting caloric intake prolongs the life of rats, but only in the early period of life. A similar stretching out of earlier life was achieved by Denham Harman of the University of Nebraska.​
  2. An extremely high intake of natural vitamins in fresh vegetables, both cultivated and wild. They replace meat and sweet foods in the diet of the Caucasians. This massive vitamin C intake could immunize the organism against many diseases."​
An interesting passage:

"Hippocrates reported that the people of the Caucasus lived on cherries, pine cones, apples, melons, and berries which grew wild in the woods. Even at that time the area was famous for longevity, and the Greeks may have sought dietary clues as to why these people attained such unusual ages. " Page 103.​

Pine cones are a good source of fat (pine nuts), which Ehret advised to avoid entirely.

So it's possible that they introduced meat, and their lifespan actually declined some. Though, even they would only eat meat 'when the head was on the table' so they could ascertain freshness. Otherwise, they believed that the meat was unhealthy (parasites and the like, probably). And they ate small amounts of meat, usually just as on special occasions or at feasts.

For healing, in my opinion, fruit is easier, safer, more predictable to acquire, as many people may not even have access to the freshly processed meats that even the Weston Price societies had access to, so, in addition to the meat, they may be getting some parasite friends, which could hinder the benefits.

Just a few more thoughts.

I'm not on here much, but just feel it is supportive to share my experience, as a counter to the more mainstream ketogenic approach, in case some people find healing in it.

Last edited:
Adding another thought. Thanks odyssic for sharing your research and its good your seeing improvement in your health. Recently I've been looking into changes in my diet and the glaring discrepancy in different opinions on the subject really caught my attention. My conclusion is, take what I know works well for me and improve on that. We all have differences in genetic requirements for one, which has already been mentioned. A fruit fast sounds like it could be good but I'm prediabetic so not so good for me I'd say. .

I'd suggest going to Dr. Morse channel and looking up Diabetes and its treatment through fruit. Staggering successes in blood sugar regulation. I had a client doing it, as well, and her son did it only partially, he'd been diabetic and on insulin since age 8, and his blood sugars were more stable than they'd ever been. Just fyi. The blood sugars fluctuate at the onset, which scares some off, but then they stabilize. I hope that supports.

Odyssic, a therapeutic diet (such as fruitarian, vegan, raw, etc etc) undoubtedly achieve therapeutic results in the context of healing a specific disease, in some instances. It is difficult, however, to extrapolate the results of a therapeutic intervention and attempt to apply them as a long-term solution. Nature seems to have the answers, and fruitarianism was not one of them (except for gorillas), since it has not been done yet in humans. Therefore, it is an experiment to go on this diet for a prolonged period of time.

I say, if it works for you, then good luck with that. There seems to be some fundamental "in-born" needs for different humans. There are those of us who require dense nutrition found in a high-animal food diet, while others can persist and remain "healthy" on a diet of plants. Most people here seem to fall under the first category (myself included), but that is not to discount that there is a portion of humans who don't.

Overall, I hope you find health in your experimentation!

Great Piece of Information!
Let me add something to it, our diet is very important for a healthy life. There are many diseases which can be cured just by eating fruity and healthy food like, Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Heart diseases, Hypochromasia, kidney problems etc.
Anyway, great post.

Great Piece of Information!
Let me add something to it, our diet is very important for a healthy life. There are many diseases which can be cured just by eating fruity and healthy food like, Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Heart diseases, Hypochromasia, kidney problems etc.
Anyway, great post.

Hi rana, as this is a research forum, could you provide links to credible research proving that a"fruity" diet can cure the diseases you mentioned?

Although odyssic has been quite successful with his approach to diet, the majority of people on the forum have benefitted from the opposite approach, i.e. limiting carbohydrate intake and eating animal fat and meat rich diets. Moreover, possible dangers of a fruitarian diet have been pointed out earlier in the thread, have you read through it all?

Also, have you had a chance to read through the Diet and Health board here? I strongly recommend the Ketogenic Diet thread as it is a valuable source of dietary information and research.

I wanted to touch on the fruitarian diet being / seeming 'restrictive'. It does seem that way from the perspective certain countries and markets. For instance, I grew up with mostly green grapes, seedless watermelon apples, and oranges. It doesn't seem to me to be restrictive anymore because there are hundreds of not thousands of fruits to choose from, potentially. There may be as many fruits as edible 'vegetables'. Many of these are not available anymore commercially, so often need to be grown from seed. I'm experimenting with growing some of these myself, including ancient tomatoes, berries, eggplants, and melons. I was reading an interesting book, Human Heart, Cosmic Heart, in which Thomas Cowan wrote that the native American Indians reached a level of vitality because they consumed a broader range of nutrients; for instance, they consumed forty something kinds of squash (a fruit), and various melons, etc. Perennial fruit plants have the added benefit of being able to dig deep roots and mine the soil for nutrients.

Vegetables that are annuals (most of them), don't have time to develop this root system. It's possible that some of these components sought out by the plant are energetic and not yet known to science. So it is possible that an ancient fruit orchard or vineyard would contain a wealth of minerals, and this, coupled mineral-rich waters, would add enormously to one's healing potential. For instance, here in Sarasota, Florida, there is a fifty foot high mango tree in the yard across the street, and the mangos are delicious and extremely filling, about the size of a small cantaloup. There are almost innumerable tropical fruits that don't make it to the market, because they don't keep well, or they are an acquired taste. I just saw a 'basalm pear' which Thomas Jefferson grew in his compound, and which spread all over the south.

A few more thoughts that were running through my head.

Thank you.

I came across this video earlier this week, it shows two fruitarians who have eaten nothing but fruit for years. They both praise the diet and describe its healing properties, despite the fact that the woman is in her early fifties and needs a walking stick. The man said he lost some teeth early into the diet but blamed it on eating fruit that wasn't ripe enough.

Despite the fact that both of them look weak and not very healthy they claim the diet has had beneficial impact on their health over the decades they have practiced it. It may be just my impression but the observable evidence shows the opposite. I guess by its fruits you shall know the diet (excuse the pun ;-)).

Reading this thread made me think of an ex-vegan and ex-fruitarian Belgian girls testimony that I watched yesterday.

We discovered the youtube channel of sv3rige, I don't agree with everything he says or does as he can seem a bit strange and extreme.
Nevertheless, you can find out more about him on this thread.

Sv3rige gathers a lot of ex-vegan testimony which I think is a good thing cause not so many people dare to contrary to the vegan movement which is getting more and more powerful and a lot of young people run into it.

This girl talks about this doctor and I think his claims are to be taken very carefully according to her bad experience with him.
Obviously, the fruitarian diet may not be the only reason for her health issues but she claims that it got worse when she went on it.
Fruits are in my sense not adapted for everyone and even less for diabetes.
Of course, there are still on hearth some ancient species that are a lot less sugary but those are not easy to find everywhere.

I just wanted to warn you cause this video crossed my mind when I saw Dr. Morse name.

This is just one testimony among a lot of them.

FWIW

I came across this video earlier this week, it shows two fruitarians who have eaten nothing but fruit for years. They both praise the diet and describe its healing properties, despite the fact that the woman is in her early fifties and needs a walking stick. The man said he lost some teeth early into the diet but blamed it on eating fruit that wasn't ripe enough.

Despite the fact that both of them look weak and not very healthy they claim the diet has had beneficial impact on their health over the decades they have practiced it. It may be just my impression but the observable evidence shows the opposite. I guess by its fruits you shall know the diet (excuse the pun ;-)).

At 1:20 in our fruit bat brings up the karmic line, eating fruit only because its the only way not to "damage or take life"... Utterly ridiculous! How many bugs did he squash under his feet walking across the lawn? How many mayfly larvae did he and his wife damage getting in that pond?? The worse thing is they're kitted out with mod-cons made of plastic and dependent on running electricity - by-products of highly nature-destructive industries.

Back
Top Bottom