Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

Keyhole said:
Since transitioning to ketosis I have been experiencing the same, so I have been considering having an extra portion in hopes that I may end up putting on some weight as well. Even when upping my fat intake to about 200-250g I still don't seem to be putting any on...
One thing I have thought is that because we work nights and have had trouble getting a FULL 8-9 hours of non-disturbed sleep everyday ( we have tried our best to black out the windows but still there is some light that gets in) perhaps this is affecting fat metabolism and the ability to gain weight? I remember reading a few articles on SOTT about how disturbed sleep can reduce fat metabolism by (I think) 80%!! :scared:

Inadequate sleeps does impair metabolism, but that would actually make you more prone to gaining weight than losing or maintaining.

If it helps, I usually have at least 2 sometimes 3 fat bombs per day in order to get enough fat to gain weight with my high activity levels. Though you have to careful of how many carbs you have in each fat bomb, I've not had any issues other than the necessity of betaine HCL with each meal/fat bomb combo.

s-kur said:
s-kur said:
It's mean that if i take ~200-300 g. day it will cause increase weight? I ask because i've lost much weight with ketogenik, and now it's very low (i haven't this aim :D). I try eating 3-4 times daily (fried eggs+butter in the morning, meat\offer\custard in the dinner, mid-dinner snack"salo" and great supper with eggs\meat+butter) and nothing changes in my weight :(

Oops :) I recieved the answer for my question! yes, it's increase your weight.Two months later after my last weighing such diet increase my weight on 5-6 kg.

Good to hear you're making progress! :)

What I like about this diet is that you can go without eating for quite some time after a lunch. So if you are short in money, and you become intolerant to sweet and dairy type of foods, your body becomes cheap regarding food.

Prometeo said:
What I like about this diet is that you can go without eating for quite some time after a lunch. So if you are short in money, and you become intolerant to sweet and dairy type of foods, your body becomes cheap regarding food.

Yes, you're right, Prometeo. There is no more need to look in a supermarket and to leave there money...But i hope, that frequent hunger will soon leave me alone. I dont know wheither it's only habit or wrong "protein" ketosis' consequences :huh:

I finally managed to make my first fat bomb :) I used stevia only so it doesn't have any carbs at all. I replaced 4 teaspoons of xylitol with 2 teaspoons of stevia.

Me and my wife made our first fat bomb batch last night and it is fantastic! We halved the original coconut milk/oil recipe and sweetened with 3 tbsp. erythritol and 3, 1/8 tsp. stevia. We decided to try a chocolate version first so we added 3 tbsp. dutched cocoa powder at the end. It turned out like a rich chocolate mousse. We are looking forward to trying some fruit flavored versions next!

Just made my first small batch with the original recipe, using cocoanut cream. Texture is a bit off, but how satiating and flavorful!!! I shall definitely make this again. Thanks Laura :)

Kris

These two recipes turned well.

_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/nourishing-dark-chocolate-gelatin-pudding/
_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/easy-chocolate-keto-paleo-gelatin-pudding-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Replace honey with xylitol or erythritol.
Also, I put much more gelatin then indicated. 4-5 tbsp maybe.
It goes very well with blueberries or raspberries.
I also put more cinnamon then indicated, but not much nutmeg because it has a strong taste.
Coconut oil can be added and butter I think, although I didn't tried buter.

Easy Chocolate Gelatin Pudding

Ingredients: Serves 2

1 cup coconut milk (full fat, canned)
2 tbsp cacao powder or organic cocoa
1/2 tsp stevia powder extract
Or 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 Tbsp quality gelatin (I like this one)
2 Tbsp water

Directions:

Add the coconut milk, cocoa, and sweetener to a pan over medium heat and stir with a whisk.

Mix the gelatin and water in small bowl.

Add the gelatin to the pan and stir until dissolved.

When the coconut milk mixture is warm transfer into two small ramekins or pudding cups.

Place in the fridge for 30-45 minutes (or freezer for faster setting).

Serve and enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Unflavored Gelatin
1/2 cup water
2 oz Unsweetened Dark Chocolate
1 can coconut milk, (use canned, full fat)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp vanilla,gluten free
10-12 drops of liquid stevia
OR 1/4 cup maple syrup/honey

Directions:

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler with the coconut milk and sweetener until melted and mixed thoroughly.

Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mix the gelatin with the water until dissolved.

Add the dissolved gelatin to the chocolate mixture and stir well.

Put the pudding into the refrigerator for one to two hours or until set and chilled.

If you are impatient put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

jsf said:

Well it ain't much of a fat bomb, if it ain't got no fat! ;)

A Jay said:
jsf said:

There is fat in the coconut cream (20%), and the coconut oil. I have to calculate how much it amounts to, in the end.
With the gelatin, it is very filling.

This stuff is amazing. It has been a great help when I travel. I don't have to be dependent on airport food. It also makes a great breakfast substitute when I'm in a hurry.

Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups fat (I use 1/3 coconut oil, 1/3 grass fed beef tallow, and 1/3 ghee)
2 cans unsweetened organic coconut milk (don't buy the Lite kind, you want as much fat as possible)
18 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salt
3 droppers of liquid Stevia extract
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Put the coconut milk, coconut oil and ghee in a saucepan on the oven with low heat. Stir occasionally with a fork. While the tallow is melting (that's the last to melt), beat the egg yolks. Add the salt, vanilla, and stevia to the oil mix. After the oil is melted, stir the mix until it reaches a temperature of over 155 F. I use a meat thermometer. Or you can look for bubbles forming before the boiling point is reached. Once it reaches 155 - 158F take the pan off the burner and drizzle in the egg yolks while beating with an electric beater. Once the egg yolks are beaten in, place the pan back on the burner at low heat and stir until the 155F temperature is reached. You will notice a thickening. Once that happens immediately remove the pan from the oven and place in the sink in cold water for about five minutes. Then pour it in a baking dish of some kind and refrigerate.

I found in all my trial and errors that the crucial thing was the right ratio of fat mixture to egg yolks and heating the fat mixture to the right temperature before beating in the egg yolks. I basically wanted to get in as much fat as possible without it separating out. If it separates out, even a bit, then you get pieces of cold fat after it's cooled down. If that happens, it's not a big deal, just a little unpalatable. To fix it put your bowl of it in the microwave for just 10 seconds and it will be fine.

I don't use xylitol, so the carbs are less.

A Jay said:
Inadequate sleeps does impair metabolism, but that would actually make you more prone to gaining weight than losing or maintaining.

If it helps, I usually have at least 2 sometimes 3 fat bombs per day in order to get enough fat to gain weight with my high activity levels. Though you have to careful of how many carbs you have in each fat bomb, I've not had any issues other than the necessity of betaine HCL with each meal/fat bomb combo.

Oops :lol: I will admit that I don't have much of an understanding of how metabolism works - so thank you for pointing that out A Jay.

It certainly has helped - I have actually increased my amount to literally 2-3 fat bombs per day with no bad side effects (which I actually expected to get!) Another thing which made me slightly hesitant to increase the number was because me and my partner make a BIG batch on the weekend, and usually go halves on the amount throughout the week (which made me feel guilty asking for more). She can only handle one per day, and if I have only one I am feeling hungry still :-[

After speaking about this we have now come to an agreement to make extra fat bomb at the weekend to meet both our needs which is awesome! :cool:

In one serving of fat bomb I end up with about two grams of carbs - which all from cocoa. This usually constitutes most of my carbs for the whole day.

jsf said:
A Jay said:
jsf said:

There is fat in the coconut cream (20%), and the coconut oil. I have to calculate how much it amounts to, in the end.
With the gelatin, it is very filling.

I was actually making a bit of a joke, sorry if that's not how it came across. But good to know you're adding extra fat to the recipe! ;D

jsf said:
These two recipes turned well.

_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/nourishing-dark-chocolate-gelatin-pudding/
_http://www.grassfedgirl.com/easy-chocolate-keto-paleo-gelatin-pudding-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Don't seem to be very useful when the point is to get in plenty of egg yolks and fat. There is some fat in the coconut milk, but certainly not enough to justify the carbs that come with these items.

Keyhole said:
Oops :lol: I will admit that I don't have much of an understanding of how metabolism works - so thank you for pointing that out A Jay.

No problem. :)

It certainly has helped - I have actually increased my amount to literally 2-3 fat bombs per day with no bad side effects (which I actually expected to get!) Another thing which made me slightly hesitant to increase the number was because me and my partner make a BIG batch on the weekend, and usually go halves on the amount throughout the week (which made me feel guilty asking for more). She can only handle one per day, and if I have only one I am feeling hungry still :-[

How much bone broth are you getting, and how much fat are you putting in it? I discovered recently that I'm really only fully satiated when getting a lot of fatty broth, no matter how many fat bombs I eat. Whether it's the broth, the fat, or both I don't know. But it's definitely cheaper to throw some lard, tallow, or butter in a cup of broth than to cook up three fat bombs a day.

Maybe experiment with extra buttery broth for a bit and see if that helps with satiation?

After speaking about this we have now come to an agreement to make extra fat bomb at the weekend to meet both our needs which is awesome! :cool:

In one serving of fat bomb I end up with about two grams of carbs - which all from cocoa. This usually constitutes most of my carbs for the whole day.

I'm glad y'all talked it out and came up with a workable solution! :cool:

Honestly, I am not having broth daily... Every few days at most! The reason being is that I keep it frozen in a big container and when it comes to removing frozen broth and smashing it up with a hammer - I usually put it off untill the next day (or the day after) :huh:

I used to have broth daily while keeping it refrigerated. Although we made a big batch of MK Scarletts bone broth (w/o cross of veal) and kept in it the refrigerator but it only lasted a few days - went bad and we had to throw a LOT away. After this experience I have been reluctant to keep broth unless its frozen :(

Back
Top Bottom