Fear Of The Abyss - Aleta Edwards

Thanks hesperides, for asking. I think I was not clear enough. Sorry about that.

These examples come to mind. I was sitting on the bed of my eldest son who was ready to go to bed and who was about five at the time. It was dark in his room and I started dissociating, probably because of the darkness. And then I started having this idea that I was posing a threat to him, but my body didn't do anything, I didn't act. Still, I was under the impression that he was in danger because of me. I think it took me at least one day or maybe even more to come to the realization that I hadn't done anything, that I wasn't me who was the predator, but that some kind of memory (triggered by the darkness) was trying to come to the surface.
About five or six years later it happened again, probably because my youngest son was sitting in my lap. Again, I had this idea that I was about to harm him, he was sitting in my lap, which was a healthy intimate moment, but for me it had meant something different when I was small. I was terrified at that moment, (almost) convinced that I had already started acting like a sexual predator. That was the moment that I checked to see whether my body was doing anything.

I have had several dreams that made me think that I was the sexual predator, but when I started to think about them afterwards I could see that the naked body that was reflected in the mirror in my dream had not been mine, because it was much skinnier (I have never been skinny) and the body belonged to one of my women caretakers who was indulging in sexually perverse and violent behaviour.

I hope I have been able to explain this better, I still find it hard to talk about it in the most objective way possible.

Thank you Mariama for elaborating further. Actually, I was a bit confused because of the above bolded parts. From your description I understand now some of your repressed memories would turn into such a strong vivid dream, while still being physically active (not sleeping in your bed), that you needed confronting your inner world images with reality. When times comes where there is no more strength available to run away from the abyss, then the underlying fear that was growing bigger over the years suddenly overwhelms the psychic area,

Mod: fixed quote

Oops, sorry! I made a mess. It´s the first time I´m using the modify option so please, could some moderator help me or tell me how to do it?
The correct post is: mentioning the quote of Mariama, as per my second post, and my answer to it corresponds to my first post.

Thank you! :-[

Hi hesperides,
It is just that at the beginning of the quote you put just [ quote ], in order to close the quote you put [ / quote ].

If you want to change the text of your reply, you can do it without changing the quote code.
Hope it helps.

Thank you for your assistance, mkrnhr.

hesperides said:
Thanks hesperides, for asking. I think I was not clear enough. Sorry about that.

These examples come to mind. I was sitting on the bed of my eldest son who was ready to go to bed and who was about five at the time. It was dark in his room and I started dissociating, probably because of the darkness. And then I started having this idea that I was posing a threat to him, but my body didn't do anything, I didn't act. Still, I was under the impression that he was in danger because of me. I think it took me at least one day or maybe even more to come to the realization that I hadn't done anything, that I wasn't me who was the predator, but that some kind of memory (triggered by the darkness) was trying to come to the surface.
About five or six years later it happened again, probably because my youngest son was sitting in my lap. Again, I had this idea that I was about to harm him, he was sitting in my lap, which was a healthy intimate moment, but for me it had meant something different when I was small. I was terrified at that moment, (almost) convinced that I had already started acting like a sexual predator. That was the moment that I checked to see whether my body was doing anything.

I have had several dreams that made me think that I was the sexual predator, but when I started to think about them afterwards I could see that the naked body that was reflected in the mirror in my dream had not been mine, because it was much skinnier (I have never been skinny) and the body belonged to one of my women caretakers who was indulging in sexually perverse and violent behaviour.

I hope I have been able to explain this better, I still find it hard to talk about it in the most objective way possible.

Thank you Mariama for elaborating further. Actually, I was a bit confused (your explanations are ok) because of the above bold parts. From your description I understand now some of your repressed memories would turn into such a strong vivid dream, while still being physically active (not sleeping in your bed), that at some point you needed confronting your inner world images with reality. Hence I think you must have shown much resolution and courage when dealing with this stuff because in a way, it must be like fearing you are losing your mind. I´m happy you mentioned you are progressing with EE. :)

Thanks for the feedback about the dream Mariama. I had pretty much reached the same conclusion. It felt kind of cathartic. Your experience sounds terrifying to go through. I am always in awe of women who have the courage to have children. I never did. With each year that passes I am more at peace with my choice. And apologies for taking so long to respond.

I am re-reading the Wave and am currently in book 3 where Laura is talking about the left/right brain functions and how religions among other things have hijacked the right brain's ability to be in the now and observe the natural world. I was thinking particularly about how religions shut down this natural function of the brain and how abuse reinforces it even more deeply. It was on my mind as I went to bed last night and woke this morning with a clearer understanding of how the two were meant to work together. Observe in the now with the right and apply the thinking and logic of the left without the emotions taking over. It's probably elementary for so many people on the forum who have much more experience, knowledge and wisdom that I do.

Then I had the thought that one of the powerful things about Aleta's book and the exercises in it, is that it is a way to get these two functions working together as they were meant to work as a team, a marriage, as Laura so perfectly writes. They bring the power of being in the present, observing body states and thought loops, instead of reacting to things in the lies of the past while thinking about and analyzing and acting, making choices in the present.

Just another little epiphany for me, but it excites me to see a tangible application of this gathering of knowledge.

There is so much in this book that can be seen in thought patterns, actions and development as part of PCS dynamics. I don't know whether I would have been able to see them as clearly before but it has been rather transformational. Out of the many that stayed in mind was the relationship with or towards the mother (parents), the self & the external environment or world.

When the mother is perceived as good, the child perceives himself as good; when the mother is bad, the child perceives himself as bad. He projects his feelings on the mother, then takes them back in, and this cycle constantly reinforces and heightens the infant's feelings about himself. When the mother is disturbed, the child feels badly about her - and himself. He lacks the capacity to conceive of himself as a separate entity, or to recognise that it could be possible to be good even though the mother might not be. When the mother is attentive and nurturing, it is to the infant's benefit that he finds the mother to be a part of him. His self-image is developing along normal, healthy lines and the feelings he projects onto the mother, then takes back in, teach him that he is good.

I didn't know my mother as a person until I was around 9 or 10 which is when living with her really began. Before that I saw her in passing, in between boarding school, in between living with different relatives & going from country to country. I knew my father to a greater degree, or at least that was the case for time spent with him. Around this time we moved houses frequently. I remember being left alone with boxes whilst everyone else went to get remaining items from the previous house.

The house moving stopped once my father found out my mother was pregnant with the 4th child; she lied to him several times although all her friends would remark "congratulations". He drank often, becoming severely depressed, suicidal & hostile himself. Shortly after he departed to Tanzania without much recourse.

At around the same time my closest friend passed away consequent to a terminal illness. In my childish mind - not only had I lost my father & a close friend, as well as moving to a new location/school, I was left with a stranger (my mother). She would tell me & my sister daily that my father left because he didn't love us, didn't care for us, he was a terrible man - this obviously conflicted with what I felt but we didn't have any other person close by to tell us otherwise. She always wore a mask, a false smile, when he was around & appeased to his wishes "like the good wife she should be".

After enough times of hearing this it was practically a legislation that my father had neglected us. I had my first & only nosebleed & was having severe difficulties in many areas around the time she was pregnant/my friend died but there really wasn't anyone to take note with my father away. Perhaps I thought if I tried harder to please her she would take note, idealised her? She has a way of imposing guilt then playing innocent. Eventually I attempted to ran away from home.

I began to hate my father for neglecting us & asking whether what my mother was saying was true, that he wasn't coming back. This feeling probably fuelled more by my mother's words. I had had previous female carers & had never really witnessed or felt anything like the impact of being left with my biological mother - then being told she was my mother (we used to call auntie mother) - & just not being able to assimilate it. When I expressed dissatisfaction, I was told my feelings were stupid - family was more important, by my father, where my mum sat & smiled.

When my father did return, quite sporadically after 2 years absence, my condition was deteriorating. My father, who also exhibits PCS traits, did something in an attempt to smite me, or fix me, & this somehow was confirmation that he was an evil man as my mother had claimed in all his years of absence. The splitting/black-and-white thinking after this was vast. My mother was all-good since I'd never seen my dad attempt to fix her, my father was all-bad, the world was all-bad & any "bad" seen in myself was confirmation that I needed fixing as my dad had interferingly attempted to do so (therefore bad).

Therefore I had to be all-good. Since the only thing that was deemed "all-good" was my mother, I had to be like her to be all-good. I didn't understand when this didn't work; I simply thought "not good enough" & try harder. I still felt my feelings but would just dampen them. They were all wrong & needed fixing of course. How do we go about fixing that? Get enough people to consider me "all-good" & my father would see that I no longer needed fixing, love me & never neglect or punish me again.

Something to that affect. From then on it got progressively worse & morphed into codependence. I was still struggling with the condition I had mentioned earlier but it was as though everyone in my family turned a blind eye to it, was too invested in individual dramas. So this lead to "not good enough/worthy of having needs acknowledged" so I'd fear physically leaving someone in case I a) upset them or b) could not meet a need on my own. Then came extreme guilt, shame, blaming oneself if I thought either of those two things were going to or had taken place, propelling the cycle further. Incompetence of any kind was strictly prohibited.

Competence must have osmotically been attributed to getting one's needs met.

Another way to describe it could be, say, trying to win your right to existence, to live/be (past the point of uninvited fixing).

SMM, I had many similar experience to what you have expressed in your post. My father left when I was 5 and shortly after that my brother was hit by a car in front of our house and died on the sofa. He left after my youngest sister was born, another similarity.

I too tried to be good enough and do enough to "earn the right to breathe". My birth mother never said much of anything about my father, but clearly hated him. In the early years if I expressed any desire or wanted anything that she wouldn't or couldn't give, which was just about everything she would say "You're as stubborn as your father", usually followed up with physical violence. And then her pedophile boyfriend was added to the mix with the message that I was really bad and sinful or he wouldn't be "attracted" to me and my sisters.

It is painful work and is getting easier as I examine where the spokes of the wheel were created and always bring me to the "you're just not good enough to exist" abyss.

I also had health issues, having undiagnosed celiac disease, and no one noticed or cared. Dr. Edwards' book is such a gift to me, helping me be in the present, and regain the knowledge of my inherent dignity, to be able to move forward, to start to experience a little of who "I" am, the broader, wiser me, that can look at least with a modicum of objectivity at the experiences and learn from them. It's interesting that you use the word osmotically because I have found in working on my machine that that word comes to mind a lot. So much was just absorbed, without words, with looks and a prevailing attitude that I was just bad, making it more difficult to track back programs/spokes and feelings to the source, than particular words or incidents.

We survived, albeit damaged, but not beyond healing and repair and that gives me satisfaction and hope. And as Dr. Aleta said during the SOTT interview, it is not false hope. And I also think that I have an inside track on psychopathy since the more I understand the phenomenon, I am more and more convinced that I was raised by a full-blown psychopath.

Thank you so much for your post. It is so good to read your thoughts and experiences and healing to share these experiences, feelings and thoughts!

Bluefyre said:
I too tried to be good enough and do enough to "earn the right to breathe". My birth mother never said much of anything about my father, but clearly hated him. In the early years if I expressed any desire or wanted anything that she wouldn't or couldn't give, which was just about everything she would say "You're as stubborn as your father", usually followed up with physical violence.

I also tried to be good enough ("a good son" whatever that is) & do enough to "earn the right to breathe". My mother had an incredibly high standard for cleanliness (which was foisted on to me, & the Catholic "holiness is close to godliness" mantra can be seen stemming from her mother) & had me continuously & consistently clean every "nook & cranny", top to bottom of the house. Every day. And I would get called to clean a supposed mess (a minute dirt mark) that wasn't even mine since most of the house was in effect, off limits or I would get the blame for anything & have to rectify it & apologize profusely. It was never enough, so I would "go the extra mile" which turned into many miles all day every day; cleaning to a standard higher than hers which upon reflection bordered on obsessive-compulsive.

As young kids tend to do I just called things as they were with no malicious intent, if when called on something, I would point out what she had said before or an example that she had given. This I soon discovered would send her into a rage (only recapitulaion has pegged this for me, before I always saw it as anger - which was a almost all the time - but certain programs were obviously triggered that sent her spiralling) which resulted in a serious beating, which happened easily hundreds of times between age 12 & 17 alone. During this period I learned that she was a pathological liar, way before I fully understood the meaning.

Entering into the teen-ages was when I would periodically be called "a bastard child", she had, & continued to badmouth my father, who I never knew, (I left my birth country around age 4 went to US, then arrived in UK in '87) to me, "he's a bastard, he left me with a young child" etc in the beginning, then eventually to be called the above, which tapered off into my mid teens with "you're just like your father". With the beatings for stating minutes-old (sometimes seconds amazingly) facts, such as "this is what you told me to do" or asking questions about things I had no experience of, (which would always prompt her to question my level of intelligence) I also learned to expect a beating no matter what; & to mitigate the regularity of such by not expressing normal emotional reactions whilst under duress. Mainly, because anything I said was labelled "answering/talking back" which of course, required beatings.

How did I feel? Scared, angry, frustrated & ashamed, since she always repeated that I should feel ashamed & later would ask, "aren't you ashamed?" It's quite stunning how that works in childhood, it seems that (4-D speaking) it's a nifty set-up for later life, to be told to feel certain ways as well as act in certain ways, in accordance with certain genes being played like magical musical notes on a bio-psychological keyboard. Then they genetically modify already questionable food to trap you & your future.

Bluefyre said:
So much was just absorbed, without words, with looks and a prevailing attitude that I was just bad, making it more difficult to track back programs/spokes and feelings to the source, than particular words or incidents.

No it really doesn't help when recapitulating, especially if you gradually grew numb to your own emotions, well, other than program driven anger or general frustration. My mother repeated her script so often, I could predict her likely actions & modify mine to keep on the boundaries so to speak. I learned her patterns, like the times she did things, how she did them & so forth. I had good eyesight so I would leave lights off (on only if absolutely necessary) so as not to alert her to my presence & activities, & would get food or use the bathroom or whatever. I regularly got glares ("daggers") which told me something was off so I wouldn't do anything, hoping that that might work.

The attitude though, was as certain as death & taxes, she never ever let up with the contempt & blatant disregard for my wellbeing. She would use me as "her shoulder to cry on" (about how bad everyone treated her - persecutory complex) then switch to blaming me for her mistakes (along with the beatings that she was fond of dishing out) & then randomly, be all smiles & cook for me (I did majority of cooking from age 13) & then when I began working at around age 17, she would eat the food that I had bought for us & eat most of mine too. I would eventually be left with chips (fries to Americans) biscuits if she hadn't polished those off, or/& sugary cereals. The insult to injury was me paying bills for things I didn't use like the phone, which was always high as well as half of the extortionate rent, electricity when I just sat in the dark anyway (using the moonlight & streetlights via the window) & then complaints about giving her money in general - not being "a good son". With those patterns ingrained, all that was required were occasional looks with the prevailing noxious attitude.

Bluefyre said:
We survived, albeit damaged, but not beyond healing and repair and that gives me satisfaction and hope. And as Dr. Aleta said during the SOTT interview, it is not false hope. […]
Thank you so much for your post. It is so good to read your thoughts and experiences and healing to share these experiences, feelings and thoughts!

It really is an amazing little book, clear & concise & very powerful. I have the highest regard for people that can provide such help in this manner, it sure isn't easy. I would have used some quotes from the book but I'd have ended up quoting half the book! The quote that SMM used & bolded is spot on though, I did feel like I was becoming a bad person (& a dirty one too, I was told both) never mind what my mother was like. Which makes me think of P.P.
We studied ourselves, since we felt something strange had taken over our minds and something valuable was leaking irretrievably. The world of psychological reality and moral values seemed suspended as if in a chilly fog.

I'm not always sure of how to express my emotions since I've been numb for as long as I can remember, & by the time I am, someone's made a far more eloquent post on their feelings, which still helps. So thanks to SMM, & thanks to Bluefyre. :)

hesperides said:

Thank you Mariama for elaborating further. Actually, I was a bit confused (your explanations are ok) because of the above bold parts. From your description I understand now some of your repressed memories would turn into such a strong vivid dream, while still being physically active (not sleeping in your bed), that at some point you needed confronting your inner world images with reality. Hence I think you must have shown much resolution and courage when dealing with this stuff because in a way, it must be like fearing you are losing your mind. I´m happy you mentioned you are progressing with EE. :)

Thank you so much, hesperides, for your feed-back. :)
I think that this is a good way of describing it, "it must be like fearing you are losing your mind". It was probably something like that. Clearly, my mind/the inner predator was playing tricks on me, but I had noticed that phenomena before, so I could somehow manage to think straight. I do remember feeling shaken afterwards, since it all seemed so real.
Subsequently, when sitting cross-legged on the floor with my kids (another trigger) I had this image of a friend of the family, so I knew that my mind was trying to tell me something, because he had been a threat when I was young.

Bluefyre said:
Thanks for the feedback about the dream Mariama. I had pretty much reached the same conclusion. It felt kind of cathartic. Your experience sounds terrifying to go through. I am always in awe of women who have the courage to have children. I never did. With each year that passes I am more at peace with my choice. And apologies for taking so long to respond.
Oh, I wouldn't call it courage, Bluefyre, at least not in my case. I wasn't even aware of the impact of my childhood on myself, nor on my children. I didn't even know half of it when I had my children. I was very naive, selfish and even stupid at the time. Although being a mum helped me see that I was repeating certain patterns (I could see my mother in myself) and after a while I could see that I was in need of help. Having children and realizing how much I could hurt them if I wasn't to stop this generational cycle of abuse did help me in a big way, though. It gave me the will and the motivation to tackle this beast of burden once and for all. Also, my kids have provided me with a razor sharp mirror and I have seen the worst in myself, through their eyes, for which I am eternally grateful, although I don't think it was their responsibility.

Apologies to you both for this late reply.

Thank you very much for bringing up this book, Obyvatel.
I bought it yesterday and I'm halfway through it. Some of the exercises are liberating and some others are very, very difficult to do.

I suspect that what I used to call "guilt" which is a major issue for me, is actually shame as it is defined by Aleta Edwards here. And I also suspect that the PCS type describes me pretty well.
I think I'm very, very slow in catching up. I read the Narcissism books but it was still hard to filter my past through them in a lasting way.
I don't know if the same thing will happen with this book, because it seems I have some very serious resistance to facing and accepting my past as a whole.

I'm currently having a very hard time trying to write about my childhood, because new perspectives keep coming up, and memories that were faded and comfortably veiled are becoming as vivid as living them not again but for the first time.
Last night I went to bed thinking about what I had read and how the fear of becoming as either of my two raw models may be keeping me in such a state of passivity and constant doubt of myself, always feeling I have never done nearly enough and I should do "more" without even being able to define that. How I am unable to accept my feelings and desires, instantly declaring whatever joyful perspective as a fantasy that would never come true for me, feeling "shamed and humiliated just for wishing" (that phrase is from chapter 4).

So, in this state I went to sleep and dreamt that I was holding some papers with what was supposedly a course I was studying, and a man carrying a suitcase came and gave me a missing page, then we sat at a desk and went over the course.
When I woke up a thought was reverberating in my mind - that I grew up in a separate, artificial reality created by a traumatized, twisted and yet very powerful mind that kept defending this bubble against outside influences either subtly turning them or forcefully scaring them away.
If even one of my relatives could hold their own and speak up instead of running away maybe some drops of reality and kindness would have reached me.

And at the same time I saw that this is exactly how psychopaths create "their own reality" by forcing it onto others either subtly or forcefully, counting on compliance or jailing/ridiculing the few that speak up.

So.. what I was thinking, and this may be completely wrong, is that I live in 3 artificial realities one inside the other.

-The global "reality" that presents the world as progressing and turns a blind eye to the atrocities and absurdities that happen daily, and is being held in place by an iron hand
-The one that I was born into, which was created by a very traumatized, even damaged mind with a strong temperament that held it firmly in place by any and all means
-And a third, another artificial reality that I unwittingly created through the automatic habits, thoughts and programs, based on a false personality that is supposedly self-sufficient.

All in all, a lie, wrapped in a lie, wrapped in yet another lie. I'm suffocating just by writing this.

Sorry for the long, gloomy and probably incoherent post.

Something worth mentioning in this thread - since this is something many had hoped for, including myself - is that FotA was released in paperback format:
Bluefyre said:
FOTA is out in paperback now at Amazon.

Eva said:
So.. what I was thinking, and this may be completely wrong, is that I live in 3 artificial realities one inside the other.

-The global "reality" that presents the world as progressing and turns a blind eye to the atrocities and absurdities that happen daily, and is being held in place by an iron hand
-The one that I was born into, which was created by a very traumatized, even damaged mind with a strong temperament that held it firmly in place by any and all means
-And a third, another artificial reality that I unwittingly created through the automatic habits, thoughts and programs, based on a false personality that is supposedly self-sufficient.

All in all, a lie, wrapped in a lie, wrapped in yet another lie. I'm suffocating just by writing this.

I think this is the situation for many people at the present time. It seems overwhelming when we see glimpses of this terrible reality. Keeping in mind that we are not alone in this and the belief that it is possible to slowly change this state of affairs starting with working on ourselves and moving outward to the collective level is what gives me strength.

Hang in there.

I wanted to add something to this thread (and in a general sense). The book has been very helpful to me, but didn't entirely resonate until I worked out what was missing from my vocabulary.
specifically, I know what shame and guilt feel like, how I feel them in many actions and thoughts that are in fact neutral, and what behaviours that creates in me - but I didn't know what shame and guilt meant (cognitively/symbolically).

So I'm sharing two videos on shame and vulnerability that clarified it for me.

https://youtu.be/iCvmsMzlF7o

https://youtu.be/psN1DORYYV0

The specific part is this - guilt is 'I did wrong', shame is 'I AM wrong'. My particular abyss is that (more so than being some sort of monster, although that is there too) I have no right to exist. As such everything is coloured by that - I have no right to anything (thoughts, feelings, emotions) without guilt.
My take on narcissism was that of reinforcing this position - I am wrong to have any desires/want/need (needs being the important part) for my self.
Added to this guilt also reinforced the abyss by being transformed into shame - I did wrong, therefore I shouldn't exist.
It is such a fundamentally deep feeling of being so 'broken' and 'wrong' that it has touched every aspect of my life.
I could see this dynamic from a young age, I knew it was black and white when I read the definition of black and white thinking, I've read the books etc but could still not shift this.

What I've had to learn about is what it means to be human and have basic human needs (especially the need to connect with others) in order to see that this view is false, by actively acknowledging and taking care of those needs. It may seem really simplistic, so much so that I over looked it many times.
Of all those needs, that of social connection (the opposite being shunning/rejection either real or perceived) is the most fundamental. It is hard wired into us as humans from an evolutionary perspective we would not survive the environment on our own, so need social connection/cohesion in order to survive - therefore my abyss is fear of death (from social rejection). All my behaviour was driven by hyper vigilance around that fear (the hyper vigilance creating a biased lens through which I saw the world and others).

_http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/rejection.aspx
The pain of social rejection

As far as the brain is concerned, a broken heart may not be so different from a broken arm.

By Kirsten Weir

April 2012, Vol 43, No. 4

Print version: page 50

Pain of social rejection

Anyone who lived through high school gym class knows the anxiety of being picked last for the dodgeball team. The same hurt feelings bubble up when you are excluded from lunch with co-workers, fail to land the job you interviewed for or are dumped by a romantic partner.

Rejection feels lousy.

Yet for many years, few psychologists tuned into the importance of rejection. “It’s like the whole field missed this centrally important part of human life,” says Mark Leary, PhD, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University. That’s changed over the last decade and a half, as a growing number of researchers have turned their eyes toward this uncomfortable fact of life. “People have realized just how much our concern with social acceptance spreads its fingers into almost everything we do,” he says.

As researchers have dug deeper into the roots of rejection, they’ve found surprising evidence that the pain of being excluded is not so different from the pain of physical injury. Rejection also has serious implications for an individual’s psychological state and for society in general. Social rejection can influence emotion, cognition and even physical health. Ostracized people sometimes become aggressive and can turn to violence. In 2003 Leary and colleagues analyzed 15 cases of school shooters, and found all but two suffered from social rejection (Aggressive Behavior, 2003).

Clearly, there are good reasons to better understand the effects of being excluded. “Humans have a fundamental need to belong. Just as we have needs for food and water, we also have needs for positive and lasting relationships,” says C. Nathan DeWall, PhD, a psychologist at the University of Kentucky. “This need is deeply rooted in our evolutionary history and has all sorts of consequences for modern psychological processes.” {The evolutionary importance of social cohesion/getting along cannot be over stated. In essence social/societal exclusion from an evolutionary (and hence hard wired genetic psychological perception) equates to death, and adapting for social/societal inclusion equates to life/survival}

Pain in the brain

As clever as human beings are, we rely on social groups for survival. We evolved to live in cooperative societies, and for most of human history we depended on those groups for our lives. Like hunger or thirst, our need for acceptance emerged as a mechanism for survival. “A solitary human being could not have survived during the six million years of human evolution while we were living out there on the African savannah,” Leary says.

With today’s modern conveniences, a person can physically survive a solitary existence. But that existence is probably not a happy one. Thanks to millions of years of natural selection, being rejected is still painful. That’s not just a metaphor. Naomi Eisenberger, PhD, at the University of California, Los Angeles, Kipling Williams, PhD, at Purdue University, and colleagues found that social rejection activates many of the same brain regions involved in physical pain (Science, 2003).

To study rejection inside an fMRI scanner, the researchers used a technique called Cyberball, which Williams designed following his own experience of being suddenly excluded by two Frisbee players at the park. In Cyberball, the subject plays an online game of catch with two other players. Eventually the two other players begin throwing the ball only to each other, excluding the subject. Compared with volunteers who continue to be included, those who are rejected show increased activity in the dorsal anterior cingulate and the anterior insula — two of the regions that show increased activity in response to physical pain, Eisenberger says. As far as your brain is concerned, a broken heart is not so different from a broken arm.

Those findings led DeWall, Eisenberger and colleagues to wonder: If social rejection aches like physical pain, can it be treated like physical pain? To find out, they assigned volunteers to take over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol) or a placebo daily for three weeks. Compared with the placebo group, volunteers who took the drug recounted fewer episodes of hurt feelings in daily self-reports. Those reports were backed by an fMRI study, which found that people who had taken acetaminophen daily for three weeks had less activity in the pain-related brain regions when rejected in Cyberball, in contrast to those taking a placebo (Psychological Science, 2010).

The same patterns are seen in situations of real-world rejection, too. University of Michigan psychologist Ethan Kross, PhD, and colleagues scanned the brains of participants whose romantic partners had recently broken up with them. The brain regions associated with physical pain lit up as the participants viewed photographs of their exes (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2011).

The link between physical and social pain might sound surprising, but it makes biological sense, DeWall says. “Instead of creating an entirely new system to respond to socially painful events, evolution simply co-opted the system for physical pain,” he says. “Given the shared overlap, it follows that if you numb people to one type of pain, it should also numb them to the other type of pain.”

Lashing out

Being on the receiving end of a social snub causes a cascade of emotional and cognitive consequences, researchers have found. Social rejection increases anger, anxiety, depression, jealousy and sadness. It reduces performance on difficult intellectual tasks, and can also contribute to aggression and poor impulse control, as DeWall explains in a recent review (Current Directions in Psychological Science, 2011). Physically, too, rejection takes a toll. People who routinely feel excluded have poorer sleep quality, and their immune systems don’t function as well as those of people with strong social connections, he says.

Even brief, seemingly innocuous episodes of rejection can sting. In one recent study, Williams, Eric Wesselmann, PhD, of Purdue University, and colleagues found that when participants passed a stranger who appeared to look “through” them rather than meeting their gaze, they reported less social connection than did people who made eye contact with a passing stranger (Psychological Science, 2012).

In fact, it’s remarkably hard to find situations in which rejection isn’t painful, Williams says. He wondered whether people would be hurt if they were rejected by a person or group they disliked. Using his Cyberball model, he found that African- American students experienced the same pain of rejection when they were told that the people rejecting them were members of the Ku Klux Klan, a racist group. In other studies, participants earned money when they were rejected, but not when they were accepted. The payments did nothing to dampen the pain of exclusion. “No matter how hard you push it, people are hurt by ostracism,” he says.

Fortunately, most people recover almost immediately from these brief episodes of rejection. If a stranger fails to look you in the eye, or you’re left out of a game of Cyberball, you aren’t likely to dwell on it for long. But other common rejections — not being invited to a party, or being turned down for a second date — can cause lingering emotions.

After the initial pain of rejection, Williams says, most people move into an “appraisal stage,” in which they take stock and formulate their next steps. “We think all forms of ostracism are immediately painful,” he says. “What differs is how long it takes to recover, and how one deals with the recovery.”

People often respond to rejection by seeking inclusion elsewhere. “If your sense of belonging and self-esteem have been thwarted, you’ll try to reconnect,” says Williams. Excluded people actually become more sensitive to potential signs of connection, and they tailor their behavior accordingly. “They will pay more attention to social cues, be more likable, more likely to conform to other people and more likely to comply with other people’s requests,” he says.

Yet others may respond to rejection with anger and lashing out. If someone’s primary concern is to reassert a sense of control, he or she may become aggressive as a way to force others to pay attention. Sadly, that can create a downward spiral. When people act aggressively, they’re even less likely to gain social acceptance.
{Although given our current society anger is usually an appropriate response to the pathological/cold hearted society we are expected to fit into}

What causes some people to become friendlier in response to rejection, while others get angry? According to DeWall, even a glimmer of hope for acceptance can make all the difference. In a pair of experiments, he and his colleagues found that students who were accepted by no other participants in group activities behaved more aggressively — feeding hot sauce to partners who purportedly disliked spicy foods, and blasting partners with uncomfortably loud white noise through headphones — than students accepted by just one of the other participants (Social Psychological and Personality Science, 2010).

Social pain relief

It may take time to heal from a bad break-up or being fired, but most people eventually get over the pain and hurt feelings of rejection. When people are chronically rejected or excluded, however, the results may be severe. Depression, substance abuse and suicide are not uncommon responses. “Long-term ostracism seems to be very devastating,” Williams says. “People finally give up.”

In that case, psychologists can help people talk through their feelings of exclusion, DeWall says.

“A lot of times, these are things people don’t want to talk about,” he says. And because rejected people may adopt behaviors, such as aggression, that serve to further isolate them, psychologists can also help people to act in ways that are more likely to bring them social success.

The pain of non-chronic rejection may be easier to alleviate. Despite what the fMRI scanner says, however, popping two Tylenols probably isn’t the most effective way to deal with a painful episode of rejection. Instead, researchers say, the rejected should seek out healthy, positive connections with friends and family.

That recommendation squares with the neural evidence that shows positive social interactions release opioids for a natural mood boost, Eisenberger says. Other activities that produce opioids naturally, such as exercise, might also help ease the sore feelings that come with rejection.

Putting things into perspective also helps, Leary says. True, rejection can sometimes be a clue that you behaved badly and should change your ways. But frequently, we take rejection more personally than we should. “Very often we have that one rejection, maybe we didn’t get hired for this job we really wanted, and it makes us feel just lousy about our capabilities and ourselves in general,” Leary says. “I think if people could stop overgeneralizing, it would take a lot of the angst out of it.”

Next time you get passed over for a job or dumped by a romantic partner, it may help to know that the sting of rejection has a purpose. That knowledge may not take away the pain, but at least you know there’s a reason for the heartache. “Evolutionarily speaking, if you’re socially isolated you’re going to die,” Williams says. “It’s important to be able to feel that pain.”

I particularly liked the "Power of Vulnerability" video. She is a good story teller. Never thought about it before: courage comes from the latin "cor" which means heart. Then she equates courage of vulnerability as doing something wholeheartedly. Nice one! :)

Back
Top Bottom