For those living in violent/dangerous cities/countries

cholas said:
Hi Tykes. It sounds like you too are in a high-crime area. Also on the front line, I imagine, so it's good to hear of your experiences. Though I would agree the state of the world is generally the same, behind the curtain anyway, there can also be some glaring differences in opportunity/comfort/safety from one region to the next.

As an example. Crime in our area(a few hours NW of you) is fairly low and is usually related to petty theft. Money here comes mainly from tourism so a huge amount of resources are expended to insure people's 'safety'. 'No crime' is very good for business. In a nearby large city, they still have the occasional shootout, but many(most?) cities do. Having been here for close to 5 years, I'm still surprised daily at how much I really enjoy living here, comparatively speaking. We feel as though we are part of a real community, in a 'lookout for your neighbors' sense. I don't go around telling much of what we often discuss here in the forum, but helping folks when they need a hand, checking in on them occasionally, giving when possible etc all makes for a tighter, safer community. Networking.

So don't lose hope in this regard, Tykes. Not all places are necessarily equal. Congrats on your decision.
c
Hi cholas, thank for your words. I will take into account your advice.

I´m still searching for a place to move, and the description you have made of your area it sounds quite good, ( though it´s a shame that nowadays we have to settle for places where there are only "occasional" crimes, but that´s the way it is), and of course the kind of interaction you describe it´s the ideal. It is great to know that places like that still exist, and i´m glad to hear that you enjoy to live there. If it´s not asking too much i would like to ask you more details.

Thanks again.

Sure Tykes. All things considered, I'd prefer to converse in this regard via PM, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

A few things I'd rather not be too open about on the wild web......Anyone have thoughts on this?

cholas said:
Sure Tykes. All things considered, I'd prefer to converse in this regard via PM, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

A few things I'd rather not be too open about on the wild web......Anyone have thoughts on this?

It´s more than comprehensible cholas, no problem. I was thinking of contacting you via PM , but also i´m not sure if it is a good idea to talk about this on a public forum. Very kind of your part.

Hi cholas and Tykes,

Just so you know, pm's are discouraged on this forum. This is for the protection of everyone.

edit: If you want to discuss something in a more private area, the swamp would be the place to do it.

truth seeker said:
Hi cholas and Tykes,

Just so you know, pm's are discouraged on this forum. This is for the protection of everyone.

edit: If you want to discuss something in a more private area, the swamp would be the place to do it.

Ok truth seeker, thanks for the reminder.

I work at a wealthy residentual golf resort inhabited by mostly older rich white people who can pay $350,000 a year for a membership plus 20mils for a winter home. I go to work around these plaid wearing wall street speaking people and then go home to my $450/month one bedroom apartment (me, my partner, our 2 children and a new baby due any day now) and can say this: I do not want what those wealthy people have. I want to life in comfort, not luxury. I want my kids to be safe, not pampered. To paraphrase some wise people: its all lessons.

I sure can relate there Bar Kochba. In many cases the old adage 'selling their souls' comes to mind.

To avoid using PM's yet maintain a small amount of privacy, I'll start a thread in the FotCM section. Mainly to answer questions that Tykes has asked.

Found here:http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17250.0

cholas said:
The PTB need fear to increase their control, correct? They need us to be afraid. Of terrorists, of militias, of 'gangs', drug-dealers, the mafia, smoking( ) etc. So in the u s, especially after 911, they have their 'terrorists', who might show up any minute in a jumbo jet ready to take out large buildings full of innocent people. Draconian laws are passed, mainly unopposed by the majority, because people are afraid.

In Mexico we have the same. Replace 'terrorist' with 'drug-gang' of course but the results are the same. The streets are pretty loaded with 'security' now. Checkpoints are becoming pretty normal, especially near the northern border, and the conditioning of the population to these changes is apparently working. All to protect us from 'them'.
I also agree as cholas, we are and have been conditioned…you can check it on the mainstream media, on newspapers they presented us almost everyday something-someone related with blood as if it is a general rule, you can say it happends in sensationalist newspapers but they are the ones that many people read, since Calderon became president it’s a news per day about his war against drug dealers…you can read some news from Irak from 3-4 years ago and they are pretty similar on the script…so I wonder…
cholas said:
have you ever been in your neighborhood and watched someone you knew [to be a good person] being assulted?
mmm…I don’t know how I may react, for I had not been in that kind of situation, as Kochba and celtic I try to 'stay under the radar' too: no accessories, no jewels, modest clothes …my appearance does not help me very much :P kind of the bean on the rice –so to speak- every now and then, …where I work, where I live, people ask me where I come from…but I think that it’s the way of…how you behave in the community…being neighborhs, help each other buy stuff in your area, be kind, be part of the community can make a difference…it had worked to me, I had not been robed…when I got in a cab, I always try to chat with the taxi driver…that way the time goes fly and it he had other intention, may be he had forgot it…obviously I don’t take a taxi at night on the street…

Navigator said:
Hello,

I live in México. As you probably know, crime is on the rise. You can see in the news that hundreds of people are being murdered every week because of drug related violence. It has been hitting my hometown hard for a while and I am worried. Kidnappings an blackmail are the mark of the trade. México is number one in kidnappings and Ciudad Juarez, a border city, has been declared the most violent city in the world. My hometown isn't a big city and I know of awful things happening to good people everyday. But thinking of all of us living in latinamerica facing similiar things, I would like to ask the C's: "What can we do to protect ourselves"?
Hi, I live in Chihuahua Nuevo Casas Grandes

Here the things are hard, I agree with you because there is a lot of violence from people with more power than the president

I just have to say that were I live, you can see in the night the Orion constelation

Hi Mabar and cubbex. Thanks for your input. For some of us it's likely hard to grasp the current situation in rougher areas than our own. I think in general that maybe we are doing a balancing act between protecting ourselves personally by laying low and networking with others for strength in these tricky times.

I think Navigator nailed it pretty well here(and of course I somehow missed it :umm:):

Navigator said:
the PTB would like to have a society where everyone is just minding their own business, so there is no social cohesion. But isn't this reminiscent of Nazi Germany? Remember Martin Niemöller's speech?

The social situation here in Arizona is twisted. There are lots of illegals here, and many dislike and are racist towards whites (at least most of the illegals I have met). They seem to be mistrustful and envious at the same time. They dont realize that I also am busting my butt to provide food and shelter for my family. Anyhow, my point in saying this is that the ptb seem to want this situation. As was mentioned, they seem to want everyone to mind their own business, be distrustful, fearful, so they can keep us separated. My 8 year old son got to experience racism firsthand when a little Mexican girl told him he couldnt pet her dog because "White people arent allowed to pet our dog." And this is only one example of racism. There are many others, some not so benign.

Bar Kochba said:
The social situation here in Arizona is twisted. There are lots of illegals here, and many dislike and are racist towards whites (at least most of the illegals I have met). They seem to be mistrustful and envious at the same time. They dont realize that I also am busting my butt to provide food and shelter for my family. Anyhow, my point in saying this is that the ptb seem to want this situation. As was mentioned, they seem to want everyone to mind their own business, be distrustful, fearful, so they can keep us separated. My 8 year old son got to experience racism firsthand when a little Mexican girl told him he couldnt pet her dog because "White people arent allowed to pet our dog." And this is only one example of racism. There are many others, some not so benign.

It is clearly twisted. I liven in the northern part of México. I know a lot of people going to the US seeking economic estability for themselves and their family. Of course, the mexican government is in part to blame for the poor laboral conditions it offers to its citizens. But when you see groups like the Minutemen and people like McCain going ballistic (no pun intended) over the "us vs them" discourse I have to say that THAT is exactly what the PTB wants.

Here is a little something to be distrustful and fearful about.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/207407-Arizona-legislature-passes-police-state-measures-against-immigrants

On the one hand, the illegals wouldnt be here, taking such a risk, if the situation wasnt worse where they came from. On the other hand, they do know the risks involved in coming and working here ilegally. Its very sad. There are many illegals employed where I work, and the company pays them the absolute minimum because they know the illgals wont complain. Now that Arizona is cracking down, they are double checking ss#'s. Mexicans who have worked there for 10 years, have families, etc, are being fired for not having correct papers. Very sad.

Sorry, catching up late on this thread. We might be drifting off topic a bit in discussing the immigration issue, but I just wanted to add a few thoughts(should we start another thread?).

Bar Kochba said:
The social situation here in Arizona is twisted. There are lots of illegals here, and many dislike and are racist towards whites (at least most of the illegals I have met). They seem to be mistrustful and envious at the same time.

I've experienced the same while living in the u s. And what caught my attention in a recent Session, when the percentage of psychopaths in various countries was brought up, is that the u s figures are so high. In part because it attracts, by it's very nature, some less than kind, understanding people.

I could be wrong here, but from what I've observed, many who enter the u s to work illegally are no better off there than here in Mexico. I think that what is happening is that with the rose-colored glasses pulled on tight, many feel that 'someday' they will 'make it'. In other words, they think that they have a future in the u s. But rarely is it happening at the moment. For most illegals anyway. It's practically slave labor on either side of the border but one side is illegal.

Having recently been in Tucson, and on the day of the big protests, the animosity was very apparent. I visited some friends from Mexico who live there legally yet are starting to wonder about the safety of their family. Especially with the recent new law passage.

Navigator said:
Of course, the mexican government is in part to blame for the poor laboral conditions it offers to its citizens. But when you see groups like the Minutemen and people like McCain going ballistic (no pun intended) over the "us vs them" discourse I have to say that THAT is exactly what the PTB wants.

Exactly. Many folks I know here at home share this view. And it's true of course especially when the corporations who profit handsomely by the slave-wage conditions are included. It's an ugly, psychopathic partnership and the PTB do indeed have common people fighting against each other once again.

As an aside, we were discussing these same ideas at a restaurant in the University district of Tucson. Across the street were hoards of young college students at the bars, partying, not a care in their little world. The happy hour special there: A bucket of Corona for 5 bucks. :cry: The irony.....

cubbex said:
Navigator said:
Hello,

I live in México. As you probably know, crime is on the rise. You can see in the news that hundreds of people are being murdered every week because of drug related violence. It has been hitting my hometown hard for a while and I am worried. Kidnappings an blackmail are the mark of the trade. México is number one in kidnappings and Ciudad Juarez, a border city, has been declared the most violent city in the world. My hometown isn't a big city and I know of awful things happening to good people everyday. But thinking of all of us living in latinamerica facing similiar things, I would like to ask the C's: "What can we do to protect ourselves"?
Hi, I live in Chihuahua Nuevo Casas Grandes

Here the things are hard, I agree with you because there is a lot of violence from people with more power than the president
Hi all, just an update. I´m really worried, more than ever about the situation of violence here in the city where me and my family live. Today i received a phone call in my house from someone who identified himself as a member of a very well known violent gang, this person call me by my name and told he knows where i live and work, and in short he has all the information (including photos) needed to do me so much harm and my family he says. Of course i suspected this was a case of nasty extorsion, i hang up the phone inmediately, but anyway i am worried bout my wife, since she stays alone in home until my mother gets back from work, i come home four hours later.

I really wish we could move right away from this situation (though it won´t be possible until the end of this year for), the life is simply unbearable here, for instance a couple of weeks ago, a complete family was murdered presumably by one of this gangs, but the way they commited this crime was beyond insanity, among the victims was a pregnant woman (eight months), they exposed the baby as "a warning" of what would happened to all their enemys. Horrible.

Back
Top Bottom