FOTCM Kit of Parts for existing and planned communites

For A jay and Laura :

The posts from the others is the conversation I intended; discussing what other people are thinking of, actually planning and doing in terms of design and construction of space. So, didn't mean to "step on any toes", just wanted to hear what others had in mind; construction methods, site layout, and "Kit of Parts".

I also want to make the DIY builders aware that the methods they may be favoring are set to be eliminated , so time is of the essence.

I agree with you. :D... and we have some participation and interest that has led to a variety of prescient topics , far beyond a "Kit of Parts". Am getting ready to post some constructed examples that are relevant to the posts from others above.

N'est ce pas ?? o Non ? :D ? o :( ??

ljroxark :cool2:

I agree with Davida.

Davida said:
I Just want to point out that although people can be co-linear at the beginning of an endeavour, people change, best friends fall out for any number of reasons, perhaps somebody in the group fall in love with another that is not co-linear, and wants to leave, but has invested in a wonderful group project... and legal wrangling starts.

I hope you guys have some sort of agreement, it would save so much wasted energy in the future, should such an unfortunate event occur, over some dispute over ownership, or money, or god knows what.

Please keep in mind that just because people are on this forum, it doesn't mean that they are always what they seem. We have had experience here with this. Please read this.

Things, and people, are not always what they appear to be. So stay cautious.

The posts from Seaniebawn , Davida and Nienna :

From what I can determine, this forum and Laura's publishing have attracted thousands of peolpe all over the globe. Its likely that some of them will form groups , its a good chance that some are actively planning to "build" right now, in their own group , possibly composed of peeps not on the forum at all. That's the reason for opening this discussion, really. Just to be a resource for peeps that are at that step or considering it seriously.

As far as FOTCM, absolutely agree. I wasn't articulate enough. It is obvious to me, though, that FOTCM, is going to experience a growth spurt. The stated direction is forming communities,that means people and people need housing. As I do have experience in that domain of buy/sell/design/build, one of the things that first time builders of structures have in common is that they don't realize how much time and effort goes into "planning and design". In fact that is what takes the joy out of it for most 1st time constructors, the mess that results in poor information, poor design and poor craft. From my many years of experience, it is never too soon to begin thinking about what you want to achieve with your constructions, hence my encouragement to start thinking about it. It takes a great deal of time and energy , more than most ever imagine, and there are some pressing issues a foot that directly impact these decisions, they are time sensitive.

I have a time limitation at the moment, am having computer issues..lol... I have replies for all, will post ASAP. :D

I understand what you are doing, LjRoxArk, as you have stated it clearly.

However, I think that while people are thinking about these things, they also need to be cautious. Hence, my post. Thinking that these sorts of communities will not pose problems because everyone is collinear is wishful thinking so they need to be thinking of all circumstances. There are predators everywhere looking for their prey and those they can live off of.

Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers.

Well I agree with forming communities within the FOTCM first. However that would work if one lives in the USA or UK. But for myself I suspect that I may be alone in this country where I live, with no other members, so I have no idea how I could from a community.

I have been seriously considering building a home/homes from shipping containers and now plan to start the project this summer.
We rent a large agricultural farm and there are no building restrictions whatsoever for constructing buildings, homes, stables, barns you name it. The only instance when you need to get planning approval is if you want to construct a boundary / perimeter wall. We already have a fence around the land so no need for a wall yet.
The size of the plot is approx. 25,000 square metres. We grow grass and cut our own hay. There are 12 horses with stabling / paddocks for them all.
There is also a spring water well which delivers the water to the surface by an electric pump.

Cost of living is relatively cheap especially at the local shops because the farm is 40 minutes drive from the capital city.

I also have priced the shipping containers and they come out around $500 - $700 depending on the size.
I have lived in this country 28 years now, so am considered a 'local' !

If there is anyone who would like to find our more information, throw out ideas please do let me know.

I live in the Sultanate of Oman. Both myself and daughter are British nationals and we live alone. We do everything ourselves including training Arabian racehorses and my daughter just won the First Prize Cup for an 80 km endurance ride.

Ocean said:
Well I agree with forming communities within the FOTCM first. However that would work if one lives in the USA or UK. But for myself I suspect that I may be alone in this country where I live, with no other members, so I have no idea how I could from a community.

There's actually satellite communities all over the world that have sprung up outside of the US/UK. So you never know who or what might be available in your neck of the woods until you network about it, which you've already started by posting this. :)

Are you a FOTCM member?

We do everything ourselves including training Arabian racehorses and my daughter just won the First Prize Cup for an 80 km endurance ride.

Wow, congrats! That's one long ride!

Regarding a building something like Hobbit little house I found this lovely example the other day, maybe will give some inspiration
http://naturalhomes.org/hemplimeshelter.htm

And also just to mention that if anyone is looking to move to Europe, right now in Croatia, around Zagreb at +/- 100km distance, what is either very close to Slovenia, Italy or Hungary, it is possible to buy very very cheaply either land that has legal papers to build a house, or even a big land with the 3 bedroom house for less than 100 000 EUR. It is not advertise at international realestate agencies as there is no any touristic value for that, and not much foreigners are looking to move to small villages around Zagerb, or Slavonia and Baranja, Lika or at area near Hercegovina border, and Hercegovina too so, so don't get confused with huge prices at the islands and coast ... few months ago we stumble upon a property with a small house of around 70m2 and land of around 1200m2 that was for sale for only 35 000 EUR! There is even the whole desolated villages that are waiting for someone to move in ...

Back
Top Bottom