FOTCM Small Business Loan/Support

GqSoul

Jedi
I'd like to inquire about the possibility and process of qualifying for small business support from FOTCM.

Since engaging in The Work I've been pursuing a way to transition from my former career into a vocation that is aligned with my spiritual aims. I began learning the Carpentry trade and ultimately (over a 7 year period) formalized a business offering Interior Design and Finished Carpentry services. My goal is to leverage the business to provide a financial base that would allow me write and speak from the 4th way perspective taught here.

This is your second post of the day with the intent to receive something for yourself, without actually giving anything in return. When I read your first post here my immediate thoughts were - Just how much has this person given to this group in respect of networking and contributing. I did a check and discovered you have been a member for 10 years and have posted just a handful of posts. Hardly the hallmark of a person dedicated to be a part of this group, actively contributing and sharing.

I'd like to inquire about the possibility and process of qualifying for small business support from FOTCM.

Since engaging in The Work I've been pursuing a way to transition from my former career into a vocation that is aligned with my spiritual aims. I began learning the Carpentry trade and ultimately (over a 7 year period) formalized a business offering Interior Design and Finished Carpentry services. My goal is to leverage the business to provide a financial base that would allow me write and speak from the 4th way perspective taught here.
I think that if your are looking to expand your business, it would be best to work bit by bit to save up your own money and expand slowly as your business gets more successful. You say it took you 7-years to get where you are, so you know these things don't happen overnight.

Or, if you really want a loan to expand, think about talking to local business-gateway companies who can offer you advice.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by writing and speaking as an adjunct to a carpentry business, but as you have been a member here for 10-years, why not write and speak from a "4th way perspective" here on the forum where everyone can learn, share and give feedback on what you have to say? Going off and trying to do that alone without the eyes of the forum IMHO seems like the perfect way for misinterpretation, and passing on subjective opinions of what is done here.

I do not want to be rude here, but I am finding this very effrontery.. How you can ask for money in such way? Even if I do not think that this forum is meant for loan purposes, I cannot comprehend such inquiry for anybody.

It is like going to somebody on the street and saying: "Hey Man, Give me $20k. I have this amazing idea. Thanks"

Unimaginable:umm:

I think that if your are looking to expand your business, it would be best to work bit by bit to save up your own money and expand slowly as your business gets more successful. You say it took you 7-years to get where you are, so you know these things don't happen overnight.

Or, if you really want a loan to expand, think about talking to local business-gateway companies who can offer you advice.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by writing and speaking as an adjunct to a carpentry business, but as you have been a member here for 10-years, why not write and speak from a "4th way perspective" here on the forum where everyone can learn, share and give feedback on what you have to say? Going off and trying to do that alone without the eyes of the forum IMHO seems like the perfect way for misinterpretation, and passing on subjective opinions of what is done here.

I agree completely. My intent would not be to go rogue, as I definitely see the potential pitfalls. Continuing to post here will certainly be the first step.

I do not want to be rude here, but I am finding this very effrontery.. How you can ask for money in such way? Even if I do not think that this forum is meant for loan purposes, I cannot comprehend such inquiry for anybody.

It is like going to somebody on the street and saying: "Hey Man, Give me $20k. I have this amazing idea. Thanks"

Unimaginable:umm:

Yeah, I can see how it comes across that way. As I understood it, FOTCM makes provision for it's members to request support in that way. Although I've been aware if it for many years, I've been reluctant to ask for all the reasons everyone has stated here.

Maybe I don't meet the requirements, or I'm just way off base in asking. I'll be taking everyone's responses to heart.

I can't speak for them, but if you had come to me asking for money, I'd want a much more thorough understanding of what it was that you wanted money for. What you wrote was so vague that I don't even really know what you meant. I know I've not given you much of a chance to explain, but for someone that wants to write and speak it's not really off to a good start if you didn't articulate how you wanted to write and speak, and what the plan was from the outset.

Hi GqSoul,

Well there are others who’re better equipped to answer this question, but the fact is that while FOTCM has a financial aspect to it, it is not a financial institution set up legally and logistically to provide loans for small businesses or individuals.

That would turn it into a for profit organization and it would become an entirely different thing, a FOTCM bank of sorts. Being that this isn’t the case then I’m not sure if your request is going to get you anywhere.

Have you tried your options elsewhere in the market? I’m sure there’s a plethora of institutions willing to loan you the money at an affordable rate.

And from what I understood, the provisions provided for members’ support are made in a charitable manner for members in dire straits and in need. As you can see there’s a difference between, for example, “I can no longer afford medicine for my I’ll father” and “I want to start a business, can you loan me some money?”

I hope the above makes sense.

And from what I understood, the provisions provided for members’ support are made in a charitable manner for members in dire straits and in need. As you can see there’s a difference between, for example, “I can no longer afford medicine for my I’ll father” and “I want to start a business, can you loan me some money?”

I hope the above makes sense.

Exactly.

And the charitable activities are extended to members we identify as in need. We are able to identify them because we know a lot about them because they network well.

I can't speak for them, but if you had come to me asking for money, I'd want a much more thorough understanding of what it was that you wanted money for. What you wrote was so vague that I don't even really know what you meant. I know I've not given you much of a chance to explain, but for someone that wants to write and speak it's not really off to a good start if you didn't articulate how you wanted to write and speak, and what the plan was from the outset.

You're right. My thought was that if there was such a possibility, I would be informed of the process, which would include a business plan, prospectus, etc.

I think that's a moot point, however. The request wasn't externally considerate on my part. As it is, I went against my better judgement in asking because I had previously made all the same arguments to myself that have been posted here against the idea.

Back
Top Bottom