Gluten-free Recipes

I have been experimenting recently making gluten free cakes with vegetables.

Here are some recipes:

Carrot cakes

2 medium eggs (approx 100g)
100g self raising gluten free flour (Doves Farm - contains rice, potato, tapioca, maize and buckwheat flours: mono calcium phosphate and sodium bicarbonate raising agents; xantham gum)
25g millet flakes
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g light brown soft sugar
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1/2 capful vanilla extract
3 carrots grated
small amount of grated fresh ginger (teaspoonful)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1)Mix oil and sugar together in a bowl with a wooden spoon, then add in eggs, then vanilla, carrot and ginger.

2)Seive in dry ingredients and fold in with metal spoon. (The millet
flakes won't go through the seive, so just pour them into the
mixture.)

Scoop into cake cases and cook on middle shelf of oven (preheated to
gas mark 5) for 15 minutes. (Or you can cook them at a slightly lower
temperature for a bit longer.)
This should make 12 good sized cakes.

Icing:

Icing sugar
Butter/marg.
Water

Mix icing sugar and a blob of butter together with about a teaspoon of water to start with, add more water/icing sugar as required, but only add water a little at a time so as not to overdo it! Also a little vanilla extract in the icing makes it really nice too.

Or you can have them without icing.

These are really light and very morish!

Chocolate and courgette cake

100g brown sugar (mixture of light and dark soft)
2 medium eggs
1 courgette
1/2 capful vanilla extract
100g gluten free SR flour (same as used in carrot cakes above)
50g cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5. Grease and line (with greaseproof
paper) 2 x 7 inch sandwich tins.
Wash and grate courgette and put to one side.
Mix sugar and sunflower oil with wooden spoon, then mix in the eggs,
then mix in the courgette, then the vanilla extract. (The mixture will
now be very sloppy.)
Seive in the dry ingredients a bit at a time and fold in with a metal
spoon. (The mixture will be a bit of a sloppier texture than victoria
sponge mixture, but if it seems a bit too runny, you can always seive
in a little more flour.)
Put the mixture into the 2 sandwich tins and bake on the middle shelf
in the oven for 20 minutes.

When cooked, the cake should be springy in the middle. (You may need
to slightly change the cooking time/temperature to suit your oven -
whatever you would normally do for a sponge cake.)
These would be fine as individual cakes too, if you have cake cases,
but cook them for slightly less time, probably about 15 minutes.

Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack.

Icing - as above, but use cocoa as well as icing sugar - I used approx 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part cocoa.

Beetroot cakes

2 medium eggs
100g brown sugar (mostly light with a bit of dark)
70g buckwheat flour
80g rice flour
1 rounded teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 rounded tablespoons cream of tartar
1 raw beetroot (finely grated)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon of xantham gum
a little grated ginger

Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Seive sugar into a bowl, then mix in oil with wooden spoon.
Mix in eggs, then add grated beetroot and ginger.
Seive in dry ingredients a bit at a time and fold in with a metal spoon.
Scoop into cake cases (should make 12 cakes)
Bake on middle shelf for 17 minutes. (When cooked the cakes should spring back when presses lightly in the middle, or you can test with a fork in the centre of a cake - it should come out clean.)

I iced these using lemon juice instead of water, but still with a blob of butter as per the carrot cake icing.

(I would also say in all cases make sure the cake has cooled down before icing - as I once didn't, thinking it would make the icing easier to spread and it just melted and made a mess all over the kitchen surface!)

I also made butternut squash cakes, similar to the way I did carrot cakes, but these tasted a bit too earthy for my liking - although one of my friends who tried one thought they were fine.

I have put up the weights in grams as that is what I used, but if you are using ounces - the nearest round approximation would be 2 ounces instead of 50 grams - but you would need to use more egg (say 2 large eggs instead of medium), and make sure the proportions of ingredients stayed the same.

Undecided said:
Doh!
I forgot to mention I included 1 teaspoon of xantham gum in the beetroot cakes.

Since you can not edit your post, I added it to your recipe.

Just want to mention that for MANY people, peppers of any kind except black pepper are inflammatory. If you have any inflammation issues (and the list of symptoms can range from aches and pains to brain fog, anxiety, depression), then you will want to exclude all peppers from your diet. Leo Galland says that peppers are inflammatory across the board and should all be avoided by everyone.

People with arthritic issues will also want to exclude eggs and all nuts from their diet and then test for them. Those of you who can eat them, you are lucky!

3D Student, Masamune, et al:

My mom frequently buys Pamela's Products (she has celiac's and lives in the sticks near a new mega-food store- all the people by her don't like the health foods the national chain carries so they are always on sale there). She says they are outstanding and I'd have to agree. I have had some cakes and brownies my mom has made with the mix in addition to a pizza crust. Namaste is okay, I have used their baking and brownie mixes and prefer Bob's Red Mill, which is the most easily available/cheapest where I live, other than making my own foods from scratch, which is what I usually do. That way one doesn't need to worry about sweeteners, either- just add your preferred choice.

Hello all,

I have just purchased a new Gluten-free cookbook and thought I would mention it as the very first recipe I have made has been fab. (Chocolate cookies for the kids).

It is the Gluten-Free Almond Flour cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. I can't use Potato flour in anything because I am allergic to nightshades and Buckwheat gives me stomach pains, so I sometimes struggle with the mainstream gluten-free flours.

The sugar usage is confined to Agave Nectar but I used Xylitol and reduced even the Agave in my recipe. It also doesn't use dairy apart from a couple of suggestions for cream.

Its mainly Almond Flour (obviously) ;) Agave if it's a sweet recipe, Grapeseed oil for the fat instead of butter. Unfortunately there are eggs in some of the recipes (if you are allergic) but I would recommend the book and the website that accompanies it.

Not one for those allergic to nuts though! :(

I've tried several of her recipes, she has a website Elana's Pantry- on which many of her recipes can be found. I liked them and found them to be straightforward. My only complaint is that she likes to use blanched almond flour and that is rather expensive and hard to find here.

_http:/www.elenaspantry.com/recipes

D Rusak said:
I've tried several of her recipes, she has a website Elana's Pantry- on which many of her recipes can be found. I liked them and found them to be straightforward. My only complaint is that she likes to use blanched almond flour and that is rather expensive and hard to find here.

_http:/www.elenaspantry.com/recipes

Thanks for adding the website, I forgot to put the link :-[

I ordered 1kg of blanched almond flour from ebay from a nut company. It isn't here yet so I wont recommend until I try but it was definitely cheaper than I have found elsewhere.

I've been on a search for Gluten-free recipes. I found this recipe at Eating Well, and this site does have gluten free recipes (link for recipe at the bottom of this post).

Substitute butter with ghee, if desired. If you like spicy and can have ginger and/or curry and/or cinnamon according to your blood type, this recipe looks to be tasty. Also, please note what Laura stated about peppers:

Laura said:
Just want to mention that for MANY people, peppers of any kind except black pepper are inflammatory. If you have any inflammation issues (and the list of symptoms can range from aches and pains to brain fog, anxiety, depression), then you will want to exclude all peppers from your diet. Leo Galland says that peppers are inflammatory across the board and should all be avoided by everyone.

People with arthritic issues will also want to exclude eggs and all nuts from their diet and then test for them. Those of you who can eat them, you are lucky!

~~~~

Baked Curried Brown Rice & Lentil Pilaf

Pop this fast and fragrant vegetarian dish into the oven and forget it till the timer rings. Serve as a main course on a bed of wilted spinach to add color and maximize iron absorption or serve as a side with Turkish Chicken Thighs.

4 servings, 1 1/4 cups each

Active Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup brown basmati or brown jasmine rice
* 4 1/4 cups water
* 1 cup brown lentils
* 4 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 4 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
* 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, (see Note) or 1 tablespoon curry powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced

Preparation

1. Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
3. Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.

Tips & Notes

* Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galangal (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.

Nutrition

Per serving: 348 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Folate (65% daily value), Fiber (54% dv), Iron (30% dv).

3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat

_http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baked_curried_brown_rice_lentil_pilaf.html

I picked up something new and absolutely delicious yesterday! I'm going to try making my own version of it soon, as it looks pretty simple. This was a great find, as I love Hummos, but chick-peas just tear me up.

It's a lentil dip made by a local company in St. Louis (US).

Black lentils
Olive oil
Lime Juice
Peppers
Onions
Sea Salt

I'm gonna leave out the peppers (though they give it a nice kick) as I am trying to stay away from nightshades for the most part. And maybe try adding some garlic.

Yum! I munched it down with flax crackers. I bet this would be good with just about any kind of beans. Makes a nice spread instead of mayo and the texture makes me not miss cheese.

(Edit: I wonder if it would be good with sesame oil. And maybe add a pinch of cumin???)

Ya'll be sure to test for almond and lentil sensitivity!

if you are ok with almond, some of the chaps at work recommended this to me as a good Gluten Free cake and I made it for the family a few weeks ago. Since then, my wife has made it 2 or 3 times and varied the original recipe using less eggs, as the original recommended 6. Since then t has appeared in the Weekend Supplements a couple of times, so I guess it’s popular
4-5 unpeeled Clementines
2 to 6 eggs (depending on if you prefer it lighter or stodgier)
200 grms sugar or Xylitol
225 grms ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder

Place whole, unpeeled clementines in a pan, add boiled water and cover with a lid.
Bring to boil and cook for , some recipes say 2hours, but we found 1 hour does well enough.
Drain the water away, and when cool cut in half and remove any seeds, but nothing else.
Put in processor/blender and chop finely, almost into a paste.
Add the eggs, (the first time I made it I used all 6, but as I mentioned my wife made it with just 2 and was a “lighter” and “fluffier” - better I think, but I would experiment to personal taste)
Then add the sugar or Xylitol, almond flour and baking powder and mix in the processor.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin and bake for approx 50 mins to 1hour at 180/190 (350/375)
Careful not to burn the top of the cake
Let cool, then slice and enjoy!
I hope a few of you try it. It really is surprisingly good!

alphonse said:
if you are ok with almond, some of the chaps at work recommended this to me as a good Gluten Free cake and I made it for the family a few weeks ago. Since then, my wife has made it 2 or 3 times and varied the original recipe using less eggs, as the original recommended 6. Since then t has appeared in the Weekend Supplements a couple of times, so I guess it’s popular
4-5 unpeeled Clementines
2 to 6 eggs (depending on if you prefer it lighter or stodgier)
200 grms sugar or Xylitol
225 grms ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder

Place whole, unpeeled clementines in a pan, add boiled water and cover with a lid.
Bring to boil and cook for , some recipes say 2hours, but we found 1 hour does well enough.
Drain the water away, and when cool cut in half and remove any seeds, but nothing else.
Put in processor/blender and chop finely, almost into a paste.
Add the eggs, (the first time I made it I used all 6, but as I mentioned my wife made it with just 2 and was a “lighter” and “fluffier” - better I think, but I would experiment to personal taste)
Then add the sugar or Xylitol, almond flour and baking powder and mix in the processor.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin and bake for approx 50 mins to 1hour at 180/190 (350/375)
Careful not to burn the top of the cake
Let cool, then slice and enjoy!
I hope a few of you try it. It really is surprisingly good!

I'm going to modify this for those who can't eat nuts or eggs (like myself).

High energy protein bar
This may be used as a breakfast bar, or for the busy person or hiker, as a mid-morning snack or lunch. Makes 15 or 16 bars. I’ve been experimenting with this recipe for a while to finally arrive at this.

Ingredients:
100g (1 cup) buckwheat flakes
280ml (1 cup + 2 tbsp) red grape juice (I have also used apple juice, and apricot successfully)
115g (1/2 cup) butter or ghee (I have used both)
60g (1/4 cup) Xylitol
2 eggs (or any one of the several egg substitute formulas)
100g (3/4 cup) sunflower seeds, then chopped up
100g (3/4 cup) pumpkin seeds, then chopped up
100g (1 cup) flaked almonds, then chopped up
100g (3/4 cup) dried cranberries (or chopped dried figs, or …)
100g (1/2 cup) dried blueberries (or chopped dried dates, or …)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ginger

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square baking tin, or 28cm x 18cm Swiss roll tin, with baking parchment.
Place buckwheat flakes in a bowl and pour over the red grape juice, leave to soak for at least 1 hour, until all the juice appears absorbed.
In a large bowl (this is the main mixing bowl), cream butter, add sugar, beat until pale, light and fluffy.
In another bowl, whisk eggs and gradually add to the creamed mixture, beat together until combined.
Fold in juice soaked buckwheat flakes, chopped almonds and seeds, berries, and spices.
Pour into lined tin, smooth surface with a palette knife.
Bake for 25 mins until golden brown.
Allow baked ‘cake’ to cool in the tin, and place in refrigerator before taking it out and cutting into bars.
Store in an airtight tin and use within 1 week, or freeze.

There is an egg-free, crunchier version than the above ‘cake mix’ (this version is taken from Seriously Good! Gluten-Free Cooking by Phil Vickery), as follows:

100g sunflower seeds
100g sesame seeds (I used chopped almonds)
100g pumpkin seeds
100g semi-dried cranberries
100g semi-dried blueberries
100g gluten-free porridge oats (I used buckwheat flakes)
2 tbsp soft brown sugar (I used Xylitol)
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1x397g tin condensed milk
150g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes (I've used ghee here too)

(if the sugar is omitted, the texture will be slightly crumblier)
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a 24cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
Place the seeds, fruit, oats, sugar and spices in a large bowl and mix well.
Put the condensed milk and butter into a bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water. Melt together until well blended and hot. This will take about 15 minutes.
Stir the butter mixture into the fruit and seeds and mix really well.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and pack down with the back of the spoon.
Bake for 20 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove from the oven, cool and cut into bars.

I have yet to make this with a satisfactory substitute for the condensed milk.

However, I recently came across a plausible alternative in The AiA Gluten & Dairy Free Cookbook, Compiled by Marilyn Le Breton; as an alternative I have yet to see how well it works.
Sweetened condensed milk
½ cup Dari-Free (potato based milk powder substitute) + ¾ cup sugar + 2 tbsp dairy free margarine (could use ghee or butter here I guess) +1/2 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum.
Method
Mix all the ingredients together well.
Bring ingredients slowly to the boil, over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
Boil for 1 minute or until thick and bubbling, stirring constantly.
Chill liquid before adding to a recipe.

Back
Top Bottom