Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

I got my blood screening back. In hindsight I should have ordered TIBC and transferrin as well as ferritin, and I probably will soon.

Ferritin was 115 ng/ml. Above the our reference range but somewhat low on their scale 30-400.

My MCV was high 95 fl range 79-97 which may have an iron connection. This has been this way for years, sometimes just under the high or a little over. Some years ago I asked my doctor about it. He said this is a possible symptom of pernicious anemia. From what I've read about it PA is the inability of the stomach to extract B12 from food. So it is really a B12 deficiency. But maybe iron loading is causing this.

I had the highest cholesterol numbers in memory.

Total 281
ldl 174
hdl 95

higher than usual but ration is 3.0 which is ok at least according to their range although they flagged both ldl and hdl as high. LEF sees ldl over 100 and hdl over 59 as risk factors although they calculated CHD risk of <.05 which is very low on their scale.

psa is .3 very low, good to see.

They flagged creatinine as low and BUN/creantinine ratio as high so I will do some research on that.

Mac

I've got my test results too:

Iron: 11 umol/L (10 - 33)
TIBC: 64 umol/L (45 - 70)
Saturation: 17% (16 - 50)
Ferritin: 108 ug/L (20 - 320)

which are quite good, although still not ideal. However, I tested 1 week after a blood donation and without fasting. So that may have affected the test results. Still, I think the normal blood donation schedule (once every 12 weeks) and some mild exercises will do the trick of keeping the iron under control.

My cholesterol is unexpectedly high: 9.6 mmol/L (3.6 - 6.7). I'm not sure what that means. Since all other results are normal, it's not something to worry about by itself. I note it here just in case.

On a separate note, a doctor's request is required for blood test in Australia (that's how I was told by the nurse). So when I saw the doctor, I told him that I had got the news that my uncle had high level of iron in the blood and I wanted to check it out in my case. That seemed to work well in getting his attention. Just a trick to use in case of uncooperative/uneducated doctor...

My mother just got a blood test couple of days ago (done in the morning and fasting for about 15 hours). She's 69 years old (will be 70 in October).

Item Result Reference Ranges
Fe (IRON) (Ferrum) 82.2 mg/dl (female) 50-170 mg/dl
TIBC 359.4 mg/dl 250-400 mg/dl
Transferrin saturation 352.0 mg/dl 200-360 mg/dl
Ferritin 332.6 ng/ml (female 65-90 years) 13-651 ng/ml

Hemoglobin 135 g/l (female) 115-155 g/l
RBC 4.50 1012/l (female) 3.9-5.6 1012/l
Blood quotient 0.9 0.85-1.05
Hematocrit 43% (female) 36-48%
Platelets 198 109/l 150-400 109/l
WBC 5.2 109/l (female) 3.9-11 109/l
Segmented leukocytes 61.0% 42-72% (2-5.5 109/l)
Eosynophyles 3.0% 0.5-5% (0.020-0.030 109/l)
Lymphocytes 30.0% 19-40% (1.2-3.0 109/l)
Monocytes 6.0% 3-11% (0.09-0.6 109/l
Erythrocyte 6 (female) 2-15

SGOT 30.1 (female) < 31 U/l
SGPT 25.3 (female) < 32 U/l
GGT 70.5 (female) < 30 U/l

perfect level: 120-220 mg/ld
Total cholesterol 483.1 max permissible: 220-260 mg/dl
dangerous level: >260 mg/dl

perfect level: >55 mg/dl
HDL 28.3 max permissible: 35-55 mg/dl
dangerous level: < 35 mg/dl

perfect level: <150 mg/dl
LDL 441.8 max permissible: 150-189 mg/dl
dangerous level: >190 mg/dl

perfect level: <150 mg/dl
Triglycerides 65.0 max permissible: 150-200 mg/dl
dangerous level: >200 mg/dl

HbA1c 4.5 4.4-6.7%

Prothrombin index/ratio 88.0 80-105%
Prothrombin time 14.2 11.9-15.6 sec
international normalized ratio 1.26 0.91-1.48

C-Reactive Protein 6.0 <12.0 mg/l

TSH 3.9 0.5-4.1 mlU/ml
T4 free 1.3 0.85-1.85 ng/dl
TP-ab 12.5 <40 AU/ml

So her ferritin is quite high. I included everything else they tested for just to give a full picture. The only other things that are out of range are all the cholesterol figures and the GGT (Gamma-glutamyltransferase) in the transaminases. Triglycerides look great, as do HbA1c and C-Reactive Protein (they didn't have CRP-HS/high sensitivity as an option at the lab). I'm kind of concerned with the iron panel and want her to start decanting/donating blood every 10 days to 2 weeks or so until the ferritin comes down below 150 ng/ml then continue once or twice a month until it's down to around 50. Her hemoglobin and hematocrit are also good to start decanting. The "normal" reference ranges on the iron panel are crazy high, especially for ferritin in her age range; so even though her ferritin is "within range," I think 332.6 is too high to ignore. I did the math to get her transferrin saturation as a percentage and it works out to 22.87%. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Spoon said:
Laura, could there be any iron coming in to your diet through your domestic water supply?

My parents had their water tested at a lab and the report made for interesting reading.

I haven't drunk anything but distilled water (cook only with RO water) for many years.

SeekinTruth said:
The "normal" reference ranges on the iron panel are crazy high, especially for ferritin in her age range; so even though her ferritin is "within range," I think 332.6 is too high to ignore. I did the math to get her transferrin saturation as a percentage and it works out to 22.87%. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It is high, I don't know why they give that range. If there are decanting possibilities, perhaps that is the way to go, see if it helps bring down a little bit the LDL and total cholesterol panel.

Psyche said:
SeekinTruth said:
The "normal" reference ranges on the iron panel are crazy high, especially for ferritin in her age range; so even though her ferritin is "within range," I think 332.6 is too high to ignore. I did the math to get her transferrin saturation as a percentage and it works out to 22.87%. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It is high, I don't know why they give that range. If there are decanting possibilities, perhaps that is the way to go, see if it helps bring down a little bit the LDL and total cholesterol panel.

And maybe a few courses of EDTA/DMSA are worth considering to cut back the number of decantings.

LQB said:
Psyche said:
SeekinTruth said:

And maybe a few courses of EDTA/DMSA are worth considering to cut back the number of decantings.

Yeah, I'm going to look into EDTA/DMSA and see if and how I can get some shipped here -- in addition to decanting/blood donation possibilities. And I think it may bring down her LDL and total cholesterol levels (and increase HDL) too. Although her triglycerides are really good (as she's been on KD for quite a while), as well as HbA1c and C-Reactive Protein being very good, so probably the lipid panel isn't that dangerous, but you never know what's going on internally with this iron loading business. I also want to do a blood test soon -- at age 46, I may have accumulated a bunch of iron, as well.

On a side note, the test results I posted came out with a messed up format, even though it looked perfect in the Preview. I guess, the line breaks in Preview don't match those in the actual post, and that's why it didn't come out with clean 3 columns? :/ I noticed the "Insert Table" feature and will try that to post similar formats in the future.

Even though the Iron Disorders Institute recommends:

What type of cookware should I use while reducing my iron levels?

Glass or ceramic cookware is best. Iron filings can get into food from cast iron skillets and some grills. Once you are de-ironed, any cookware is okay to use as long as your iron levels are being monitored regularly.

http://www.irondisorders.org/frequently-asked-questions-faq

And Chris Kresser says:

People with iron overload should probably not use iron skillets, as inorganic iron can leach into the food, particularly when cooking with liquids and acidic ingredients like citrus or tomato. However, the amount of iron that is released into the food is generally safe for those who do not have any issues with excess iron.

http://chriskresser.com/the-best-and-worst-cookware-materials

Perhaps it is wiser to avoid cast iron cookware altogether, even after the bodily iron levels have been brought to safe levels?

About alternatives to cast iron cookware, ("non lead") ceramic and glass can be used in the oven, but what about frying pans?
Some recommend stainless steel or carbon steel, others are against:

Stainless steel

Stainless steel is considered the best material for cookware because it is very neutral and easy to clean. Cooking acidic food in stainless steel can result in a small amount of chromium leaching into the food. Stainless steel that has been cleaned and scoured with a metallic pad may also leach a small amount of nickel into the food, when exposed to alkaline food.

If your food tastes metallic, you should consider changing your cookware.
http://www.school-for-champions.com/health/cooking_surfaces.htm

Stainless steel cookware is made from a metal alloy consisting of mostly iron and chromium along with differing percentages of molybdenum, nickel, titanium, copper and vanadium. But even stainless steel allows other metals to leach into the foods. The principal elements in stainless that have negative effects on our health are iron, chromium and nickel.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036029_cookware_non-stick_chemicals.html

Stainless steel cookware

Stainless steel is unlikely to leach any metals into food mainly due to the way these products are manufactured. Stainless steel is really a mixture of several different metals, including nickel, chromium and molybdenum, all of which can trickle into foods. However, unless your stainless steel cookware is dinged and pitted, the amount of metals likely to get into your food is negligible. Stainless steel pans often have an inner core of aluminum or copper (and some have a copper-clad bottom). The reason this is done is because these two metals are very efficient heat conductors. Since the aluminum or copper is sandwiched between layers of steel and neither come in contact with the food. Avoid using anything to clean this type of cookware that might scratch and damage the surface – like steel wool! And read and follow the manufacturers recommended washing instructions.

http://nourishholisticnutrition.com/toxins-detoxification/is-your-cookware-poisoning-your-food/

Perhaps enamel covered frying pans are a good option:

Enamel

Enamel cookware is ideal for dishes where heat retention and balance are required. The best quality can be found in enameled cast iron, but enameled ceramic or steel are other great choices. It is one of the safest types of cookware that comes close to a non-stick surface, making it easy to use and clean up after cooking. The cooking surface is nonreactive, so there is no need to worry about dangerous chemicals or metals leaching into food.

Though it can take a long time to heat up, the heat is distributed evenly and is easily maintained, making it a versatile cookware material for many types of dishes. Enamel cookware can also easily go from stovetop to oven, so these pots and pans are great for slow cooking or braising.

The major downside of enamel cookware is it tends to be very expensive, particularly when made by a reputable brand like Le Creuset. That said, high quality enamel pots and pans can be a worthwhile investment, as they are extremely durable and will last for many years. I personally love my enamel cookware and use it on a regular basis to create many of my meals.

http://chriskresser.com/the-best-and-worst-cookware-materials

hiker said:
Perhaps enamel covered frying pans are a good option:

The Lodge enamel/ceramic pots are great for cooking and hold up well (so far). They are iron core so you get the benefits of iron without the risk of iron in the food.

Enamelded cookware is what I mainly use. However I asked the manufacturer (Le Creuset) about iron leeching into food and got the reply that they have never investigated that. So not sure how the reality of enameled surfaces not leeching any metal into food is correct.

They are expensive, but I have a Creuset cooking pot I inherited from my mother which is over 50 years old, and apart from being a bit stained is working as good as ever - so I think that it is a very worthwhile investment - you'll never need to replace it, if you look after it well and don't abuse it (the three worst things being heating up too high (only needs medium temps for frying), putting hot under cold water (thermal shock) and using metal instruments scratching the surface).

In the end I think that avoiding iron is impossible, best to just decant blood down to a safe ferritin level and then (for non-HH people) to go and donate blood 3 - 4 times a year to get rid of excesses.

FWIW.

nicklebleu said:
In the end I think that avoiding iron is impossible, best to just decant blood down to a safe ferritin level and then (for non-HH people) to go and donate blood 3 - 4 times a year to get rid of excesses.

FWIW.

I agree. We are still using our iron pans and our stainless pans and crockery casserole things. From all I've read, this iron overload is a slow accumulation and the problem is the inability to get rid of it in regular ways so you just have to do it by decanting when needed.

monotonic said:
Could avoiding dietary iron worsen an anemia condition while doing little to help iron loading?

Realistically, I don't think you can avoid iron in the diet.

monotonic said:
Could avoiding dietary iron worsen an anemia condition while doing little to help iron loading?

I don't think I'm going to be giving up my fatty bacon made in a cast iron skillet anytime soon. ;D

Just got my results, or some of them as the serum iron reading appearently was botched in transport. Ferritin was 92, and Transferrin 28. Should I get the test redone for the serum iron, or can I rest on the seemingly safe remainder of the reading and do an occasional donation?

Back
Top Bottom