Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

anart said:
Galaxia2002 said:
I was thinking that vit C bowel tolerance could be a marker of the levels of iron in the body because this iron excess creates reactive oxygen species, so a person with high iron levels "should" have a oxidant balance in the body that would need more antioxidants to compensate. I would like to know if you note a parallel between vit C bowel tolerance and any parameter used to measure iron. Of course that would be if there is no some inflammation of infection at the moment, just in a normal day.

I actually had a similar thought since my vitamin C tolerance is very high - and my TS level is 46% with ferritin level of 197. Not sure, though...

Interesting. The idea would be to have a database to try to find a tendency.
LQB said:
Shijing said:
I don't know if it could be related or not, but my doctor said that the one thing that caught his attention was my low sedimentation rate. He thinks that my blood might be too thick, which can be caused by a couple of different things, and he asked me to do a different test to look into this more. I've been having angina-like symptoms the past couple of weeks which may be related -- he suggested that I start adding some cayenne pepper to my food every day because it's a natural blood thinner. Depending on the cause, I also read that one way to alleviate blood that is too viscous is through phlebotomy, so that might be another reason to give blood.

Shijing, if you do want to try thinning your blood safely, I would highly recommend nattokinase/serrapeptase enzymes - they will also help with any fibrin problems related to inflammation. A highly regarded blend is Serracor-NK by AST Enzymes (ASTenzymes.com). I've used this brand for years.

is not omega 3 a blood thinner too?

Shijing said:
I finally got my blood iron test back yesterday, and these are the results (they didn't test for UIBC):

Results Range
Iron 75 40-190 ug/dL
TIBC 271 250-400 ug/dL

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_iron-binding_capacity

"The UIBC is calculated by subtracting the serum iron from the TIBC."

UIBC = TIBC - Fe(serum) = 196

Resistense said:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_iron-binding_capacity

"The UIBC is calculated by subtracting the serum iron from the TIBC."

UIBC = TIBC - Fe(serum) = 196

Thanks for looking that up, Resistense -- I'll enter that figure in with the rest of my data.

I've been looking into blood viscosity a bit more, and I saw it mentioned that "excess iron tends to lift the production of red blood cells beyond the normal level, thus raising the Hemoglobin level". Sorry if I missed that earlier (and as I mentioned, still waiting for The Iron Elephant), but I did back up and re-read this:

Belibaste said:
Gandalf said:
It is exactly the same procedure here. Moreover if your hemoglobin is too high, you can not give blood and they will tell you that it is very dangerous since your blood is too thick.

That's what happened to some of us. To fluidify the blood we use aspirin or vitamin E and we had no problem at all yesterday. Everybody managed to give about half a liter.

There's been something else going on for the past few weeks that I hadn't connected, and that is the bottoms of my legs and my feet are suddenly starting to go bald -- I wasn't sure what was causing it, but together with my angina symptoms, it tends to point toward a problem with oxygen transportation, likely the result of my blood being too viscous and not being able to get enough oxygen (as well as nutrients and hormones) to various parts of my body.

Thanks to everyone for the blood thinning suggestions -- besides looking at LQB's suggestion, I've broken out my earthing mat which I haven't used for awhile and am going to see if that makes a difference. I tried to find some vitamin E last night, but all eight brands (!) the store carried also had soybean oil, so I haven't picked any up yet -- I'll buy some aspirin today and will keep looking for vitamin E which is free of soy. I also did a double dose of fish oil (omega 3) last night before bed, and will do another today. I should also note that for the two days I was using cayenne pepper, my angina symptoms calmed down -- I know cayenne is evil, but I wanted to note that since reacting positively to it is apparently another clue that I'm dealing with high blood viscosity. Also, at bedtime on the days I used it, I noticed a slight burning sensation in my lower legs and feet (where the balding is happening) that may have meant that the oxygen supply was being restored somewhat.

Shijing,

Just be careful with the Aspirin, many side-effects (stomach ulcers, bleeding etc.).

I do decanting with a 14G needle and slight pressure of the tourniquet applied and that works perfectly well without any platelet inhibition.

If you struggle with coagulation during decanting I would probably rather go down the oral EDTA route, as that does thin your blood somewhat too ...

Just my 2 cts ...

Shijing said:
Thanks to everyone for the blood thinning suggestions -- besides looking at LQB's suggestion, I've broken out my earthing mat which I haven't used for awhile and am going to see if that makes a difference. I tried to find some vitamin E last night, but all eight brands (!) the store carried also had soybean oil, so I haven't picked any up yet -- I'll buy some aspirin today and will keep looking for vitamin E which is free of soy. I also did a double dose of fish oil (omega 3) last night before bed, and will do another today. I should also note that for the two days I was using cayenne pepper, my angina symptoms calmed down -- I know cayenne is evil, but I wanted to note that since reacting positively to it is apparently another clue that I'm dealing with high blood viscosity. Also, at bedtime on the days I used it, I noticed a slight burning sensation in my lower legs and feet (where the balding is happening) that may have meant that the oxygen supply was being restored somewhat.

Dr Gary Gordon, regarding CVD, makes the bold statement that when he receives a new cardiac patient, he immediately cancels any planned surgery as long as blockages are less than 90%. Apparently this is how confident he is of his EDTA protocol. He claims that EDTA is an excellent natural blood thinner. He claims that EDTA does wonders for the heart by removing heavy metals from the tissue (especially lead), thus allowing the mitochondria to really do their work even with heavy arterial blockage. His protocol for the heart includes carnitine, ALA, and of particular importance, d-ribose (apparently the heart loves the stuff), magnesium, and CoQ10.

I got this info from his book Detox with Oral Chelation. I'm not sure what to think of him but he sure has a lot of experience with EDTA.

nicklebleu said:
Just be careful with the Aspirin, many side-effects (stomach ulcers, bleeding etc.).

I do decanting with a 14G needle and slight pressure of the tourniquet applied and that works perfectly well without any platelet inhibition.

If you struggle with coagulation during decanting I would probably rather go down the oral EDTA route, as that does thin your blood somewhat too ...

Thanks nicklebleu -- I picked up some aspirin today just to have on hand, but I was finally able to find vitamin E without soybean oil, so I think that's going to be my primary go-to for now. I've been reading a bit more about foods and blood viscosity, and it looks like the primary vitamin you want for thinning blood is vitamin E, whereas the best one for thickening is vitamin K.

LQB said:
Dr Gary Gordon, regarding CVD, makes the bold statement that when he receives a new cardiac patient, he immediately cancels any planned surgery as long as blockages are less than 90%. Apparently this is how confident he is of his EDTA protocol. He claims that EDTA is an excellent natural blood thinner. He claims that EDTA does wonders for the heart by removing heavy metals from the tissue (especially lead), thus allowing the mitochondria to really do their work even with heavy arterial blockage. His protocol for the heart includes carnitine, ALA, and of particular importance, d-ribose (apparently the heart loves the stuff), magnesium, and CoQ10.

I'm also going to be ordering some EDTA -- I notice on the Amazon link that Laura posted earlier that it's usually bought together with Nattokinase and Serrapeptase. My local community college also had a book sale last week and happened to have Chelation Therapy for a dollar, so I'm going to try to take a look at that soon since it seems to focus primarily on EDTA.

Shijing said:
I'm also going to be ordering some EDTA -- I notice on the Amazon link that Laura posted earlier that it's usually bought together with Nattokinase and Serrapeptase. My local community college also had a book sale last week and happened to have Chelation Therapy for a dollar, so I'm going to try to take a look at that soon since it seems to focus primarily on EDTA.

Interesting... I also bought a multi- Vit/mineral supp designed to go with EDTA, and I was surprised to find 600FU nattokinase in every dose!

I finally got my DNA test results today from Genetreck Biolabs Inc. in Vancouver for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I tested negative. However, I still have to deal with high ferritin levels (286.4, three weeks after giving blood). I'm scheduled to give blood again next Tuesday, but since I can only donate blood once every 56 days, I've decided to order some EDTA which I should receive some time next week. I'll have to re-read this thread to get more info on dosage and frequency for the EDTA. I'm thinking of waiting a couple of weeks and getting another blood test and see where I'm at, and go from there. The EDTA thing sounds promising...

nicklebleu said:
Shijing,

Just my 2 cts ...

Hi nicklebleu

I like the idea of decanting my own blood. Do you actually do it yourself, or does someone else do it for you?

Stoneboss said:
nicklebleu said:
Shijing,

Just my 2 cts ...

Hi nicklebleu

I like the idea of decanting my own blood. Do you actually do it yourself, or does someone else do it for you?

I do it myself ...
:)

nicklebleu said:
Shijing,

Yeah, the "Hidden Dangers of Iron" book said that aspirin helps you to decant iron... by micro-bleeding that is! In other worlds, leaky gut. Not good at all.

Aspirin as an exceptional thing when you want to decant 500 cc or so through a butterfly needle might make it easier, but ideally a bigger needle would be the solution.

Stoneboss said:
I finally got my DNA test results today from Genetreck Biolabs Inc. in Vancouver for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I tested negative. However, I still have to deal with high ferritin levels (286.4, three weeks after giving blood). I'm scheduled to give blood again next Tuesday, but since I can only donate blood once every 56 days, I've decided to order some EDTA which I should receive some time next week. I'll have to re-read this thread to get more info on dosage and frequency for the EDTA. I'm thinking of waiting a couple of weeks and getting another blood test and see where I'm at, and go from there. The EDTA thing sounds promising...

This is the problem. People with the genetic mutation can be fine, and others without can have iron loading, though it seems that the iron loading is statistically higher with the genetic mutation.

I've been experimenting with the EDTA now for a few weeks and it really does make me feel better rather quickly and I'll be doing another blood test soon to see how much it has brought the iron down without an additional decantation during this period.

Hi,
today i got my blood testing results which have been required from my cardiologist owing to the checkup after heart operation last year.
Within all other blood tests, also was necessary to check iron levels, so here they are:

Result Ref. interval

erythrocytes - 4.24 3.86 - 5.08 mm/3.6 ks
hemoglobin - 136 119 - 157 g/L
hematocrit - 0.408 0.356 - 0.470 L/L
MCV - 96.2 83 - 97.2 fL
MCH - 32 27.4 - 33.9 pg
MCHC - 333 320 - 345 g/L
iron - 16.2 8 - 30 umol/L
UIBC - 41 26 - 59 umol/L
TIBC - 57 49 - 75 umol/L

It looks like i haven't got iron overload problem, yet.
The results seem to be fine, but i would be thankful if some of you could give me another opinion, please?

Stoneboss said:

Keep in mind that elevated ferritin is a general indication. It can be up for any number of reasons aside from iron overload, and also you need to address potential sources of inflammation including dietary grains, processed foods, vegetable oils, dairy, specific food allergies and sensitivities, toxins stored in your body, toxic chemicals in your environment, and so on. There can be hidden dental problems; there are so many possibilities. So don't focus on decanting blood to the exclusion of other things.

Have you read The Iron Elephant?

Back
Top Bottom