Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Laura said:
Stoneboss said:
I finally got my DNA test results today from Genetreck Biolabs Inc. in Vancouver for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I tested negative. However, I still have to deal with high ferritin levels (286.4, three weeks after giving blood). I'm scheduled to give blood again next Tuesday, but since I can only donate blood once every 56 days, I've decided to order some EDTA which I should receive some time next week. I'll have to re-read this thread to get more info on dosage and frequency for the EDTA. I'm thinking of waiting a couple of weeks and getting another blood test and see where I'm at, and go from there. The EDTA thing sounds promising...

This is the problem. People with the genetic mutation can be fine, and others without can have iron loading, though it seems that the iron loading is statistically higher with the genetic mutation.

I've been experimenting with the EDTA now for a few weeks and it really does make me feel better rather quickly and I'll be doing another blood test soon to see how much it has brought the iron down without an additional decantation during this period.

My Hubby is giving me the 'stink eye' over the EDTA, and suggested loading up on liquid minerals first, since I'm all ready depleted in that area. (EDTA arrived yesterday)

Which ones did you prefer/consider trying? (Still having bad leg cramps etc if I miss even one dose of magnesium etc)

Just started 'Exposing the Hidden Dangers of Iron'.

Megan said:
Stoneboss said:
I finally got my DNA test results today from Genetreck Biolabs Inc. in Vancouver for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I tested negative. However, I still have to deal with high ferritin levels (286.4, three weeks after giving blood). I'm scheduled to give blood again next Tuesday, but since I can only donate blood once every 56 days, I've decided to order some EDTA which I should receive some time next week. I'll have to re-read this thread to get more info on dosage and frequency for the EDTA. I'm thinking of waiting a couple of weeks and getting another blood test and see where I'm at, and go from there. The EDTA thing sounds promising...

Keep in mind that elevated ferritin is a general indication. It can be up for any number of reasons aside from iron overload, and also you need to address potential sources of inflammation including dietary grains, processed foods, vegetable oils, dairy, specific food allergies and sensitivities, toxins stored in your body, toxic chemicals in your environment, and so on. There can be hidden dental problems; there are so many possibilities. So don't focus on decanting blood to the exclusion of other things.

Have you read The Iron Elephant?

I ordered "The Iron Elephant" about 3 weeks ago, but haven't received it yet. I will read it as soon as it arrives... If it ever does. :/

[quote author=Stoneboss]
I ordered "The Iron Elephant" about 3 weeks ago, but haven't received it yet. I will read it as soon as it arrives... If it ever does. :/
[/quote]

Same here (just checked the invoice and it was April 11th) and am still :knitting: for a card in the mail box telling me it has arrived. Book was $14.95 and the shipping was $15.00. It is always sad when shipping is more expensive than the item.

voyageur said:
[quote author=Stoneboss]

Same here (just checked the invoice and it was April 11th) and am still :knitting: for a card in the mail box telling me it has arrived. Book was $14.95 and the shipping was $15.00. It is always sad when shipping is more expensive than the item.
[/quote]

I see. The price is about the same as what I paid from one of the Amazon booksellers. I hope this place wasn't taking orders thinking copies were available when they weren't!

Has anyone asked Iron Overload Disorders Association about how to obtain the book? If not, I may do that when I have a chance.

Gimpy said:
My Hubby is giving me the 'stink eye' over the EDTA, and suggested loading up on liquid minerals first, since I'm all ready depleted in that area. (EDTA arrived yesterday)

Which ones did you prefer/consider trying? (Still having bad leg cramps etc if I miss even one dose of magnesium etc)

I don't think you need to be taking the EDTA with your iron panel. What is your rationale?

Laura said:
Gimpy said:

I don't think you need to be taking the EDTA with your iron panel. What is your rationale?

I think that there is still a rationale behind taking EDTA with a normal iron panel ... mainly because it detoxifies other heavy metals (mainly lead, cadmium, mercury and the radioactive metals), also given that iron is probably not the highest in the list as regards affinity to EDTA (lead being the highest).

I suppose that lead contamination is ubiquitous in humans and a widely underestimated matter.

Of course one needs to make sure to not become iron deficient - so checking up on iron stores regularly is important. And maybe if one continues to take EDTA due to improvement of symptoms and general well-being, one might even have to start substituting iron to keep the levels within the optimal range.

nicklebleu said:
Laura said:
Gimpy said:

I think that there is still a rationale behind taking EDTA with a normal iron panel ... mainly because it detoxifies other heavy metals (mainly lead, cadmium, mercury and the radioactive metals), also given that iron is probably not the highest in the list as regards affinity to EDTA (lead being the highest).

I suppose that lead contamination is ubiquitous in humans and a widely underestimated matter.

Of course one needs to make sure to not become iron deficient - so checking up on iron stores regularly is important. And maybe if one continues to take EDTA due to improvement of symptoms and general well-being, one might even have to start substituting iron to keep the levels within the optimal range.

True. In fact, taking it makes me feel so much better and I'm sure it is because of the metal detoxing. But Gimpy needs to be careful. Hubby is right.

I take it in the mornings and at noon - it supposedly does its job and exits the body in a few hours; and then take my magnesium at night. I only take it three days on, and then 4 to 6 off during which time I take an iron-free mulit-min, extra zinc, chromium, selenium, and copper.

So maybe a protocol similar to that would work for her? It was only after the second cycle that I really noticed how much better it made me feel.

nicklebleu said:

I think you are right and this is the reason I will continue with the EDTA. There is just no way to avoid heavy metals in the environment and food anymore. There is much evidence from Dr Garry Gordon and others that EDTA yields so many benefits to the brain and organs - and justifies nearly lifetime on/off protocol. Gordan's stories of how EDTA so dramatically improved performance of his horses (in competition with million dollar jumping horses) is fascinating (search Townsend Letters for Garry Gordon).

Laura said:
Gimpy said:

Heavy metals. I never did a mercury detox after having all my amalgams removed. While I've not had my iron levels checked since the procedure (I was going to ask to have that done when seeing the doc for the next follow up appt) didn't think it would hurt to do this?

Taking chlorella tablets is how I've been doing detox for the last few years now.

Hubby is more for pushing mild exercise/sticking to the diet, to get my legs back.

Fwiw a minor update. I did a phlebotomy at the alternative health practitioner but she needed to stop after about 50-70 ml cause the color of the blood did change and I felt I would faint away. Afterwards I started to sweat and turned very pale, so it isn't something for me to do on an empty stomach or at all. Then I had the ultra-sonic examination and nothing of concern. Then I had an appointment with the hematologist and she took again a hole blood panel and giving blood for these tests in the afternoon was much easier instead in the morning.

So overall I do barely better. There are days where I have more energy and than there are days where I could sleep all day. Other symptoms that do occur from time to time is excessive thirst, but I couldn't rule out if this is caused by "bronze" diabetes in the descriptions of the books and elevated blood sugars or a general symptom. But it wouldn't make sense either, cause I have already diabetes and BG's are normal. Another symptom was very brownish urine where I could see debris in it, but it may be cause of I'm not in the mood to do anything, so I need to force myself to drink and move around, even smoking is not of interest.

Gawan said:
Fwiw a minor update. I did a phlebotomy at the alternative health practitioner but she needed to stop after about 50-70 ml cause the color of the blood did change and I felt I would faint away. Afterwards I started to sweat and turned very pale, so it isn't something for me to do on an empty stomach or at all. Then I had the ultra-sonic examination and nothing of concern. Then I had an appointment with the hematologist and she took again a hole blood panel and giving blood for these tests in the afternoon was much easier instead in the morning.

So overall I do barely better. There are days where I have more energy and than there are days where I could sleep all day. Other symptoms that do occur from time to time is excessive thirst, but I couldn't rule out if this is caused by "bronze" diabetes in the descriptions of the books and elevated blood sugars or a general symptom. But it wouldn't make sense either, cause I have already diabetes and BG's are normal. Another symptom was very brownish urine where I could see debris in it, but it may be cause of I'm not in the mood to do anything, so I need to force myself to drink and move around, even smoking is not of interest.

Have you considered that EDTA might be the boy for you, not phlebotomy?

Also medicinal clay for internal use has fantastic properties for binding metal ions including iron. It has to be taken on an empty stomach for 3 months. Not sure how available it is in Gawan's country.

Laura said:
Gawan said:

Have you considered that EDTA might be the boy for you, not phlebotomy?

I did order EDTA calcium disodium from the suggested page nicklebleu wrote about _purebulk.com today.

Radagast said:
Also medicinal clay for internal use has fantastic properties for binding metal ions including iron. It has to be taken on an empty stomach for 3 months. Not sure how available it is in Gawan's country.

Okay thanks, it is common where I live or I heard that people did use it. At least it is known for binding heavy metals, eventually something to look into.

Gawan said:
Radagast said:

Okay thanks, it is common where I live or I heard that people did use it. At least it is known for binding heavy metals, eventually something to look into.

Not sure whether this is what Radagast is refering to when mentioning medicinal clay, but I've so far been using bentonite and have found it very helpful, and in Germany it can be bought here, fwiw: _http://www.zentrum-der-gesundheit.de/bentonit-pulver.html

Made it into get my blood workup done today and as suspected the form scribble was only for a singular Ferritin marker and not the full workup. The lab was good enough to call the Dr.'s office, copy my form and said she would get them to change the workup. On top of that she handed me a stool sample kit (it was never described or provided earlier) and said I would need to fast and we can do all the tests later. Asked about where i can give blood and she said it was by "appointment only" and 300 km away - oh lovely. May well have to learn to self decant.

Megan said:
I see. The price is about the same as what I paid from one of the Amazon booksellers. I hope this place wasn't taking orders thinking copies were available when they weren't!

Has anyone asked Iron Overload Disorders Association about how to obtain the book? If not, I may do that when I have a chance.

Well that now seems a big possibility for the delay. Would think they would send a notice or something - will write them back.

Back
Top Bottom