Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

nicklebleu said:
I read somewhere on one of the iron blogs (but cannot unfortunately find the site anymore) that liposomal EDTA may not be such a good idea after all. The author says that it needs to stay extracellular and that the liposomal formulation may get transported inside a cell where it is actually toxic.

I have decided to give up my project of liposomal EDTA and I am currently trying to source pharmaceutical grade EDTA to give iv a try – not something that I advocate doing without medical support on your own, mind you (I have mine in-house ...)!

I am still in the research phase on that and will report back once on my way.

I'm finding that taking the capsules works just fine. Not just for me, but for others here as well. Our iron levels are coming down dramatically. But most of what I find about it is about the IV application.

EDTA is a prescription medicine, given by injection into the vein (intravenously) or into the muscle (intramuscularly).

Intravenous EDTA is used to treat lead poisoning and brain damage caused by lead poisoning; to evaluate a patient's response to therapy for suspected lead poisoning; to treat poisonings by radioactive materials such as plutonium, thorium, uranium, and strontium; for removing copper in patients with Wilson's disease; and for treating high levels of calcium.

EDTA is also used intravenously for heart and blood vessel conditions including irregular heartbeat due to exposure to chemicals called cardiac glycosides, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), chest pain (angina), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and blood circulation problems such as intermittent claudication and Raynaud's syndrome.

Other intravenous uses include treatment of cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, an eye condition called macular degeneration, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, and skin conditions including scleroderma and psoriasis.

EDTA is also used intramuscularly for lead poisoning and related brain damage.

EDTA is sometimes used as an ointment for skin irritations produced by metals such as chromium, nickel, and copper.

Eye drops containing EDTA are used to treat calcium deposits in the eye.

In foods, EDTA bound to iron is used to “fortify” grain-based products such as breakfast cereals and cereal bars. EDTA is also used in calcium and sodium compounds to preserve food; and to promote the color, texture, and flavor of food.

In manufacturing, EDTA is used in calcium and sodium compounds to improve stability in pharmaceutical products, detergents, liquid soaps, shampoos, agricultural chemical sprays, oil emulsion devices, contact lens cleaners and cosmetics. It is also used in certain blood collection tubes used by medical laboratories.

How does it work?

EDTA is a chemical that binds and holds on to (chelates) minerals and metals such as chromium, iron, lead, mercury, copper, aluminum, nickel, zinc, calcium, cobalt, manganese, and magnesium. When they are bound, they can't have any effects on the body and they are removed from the body.

Laura said:
I'm finding that taking the capsules works just fine. Not just for me, but for others here as well. Our iron levels are coming down dramatically. But most of what I find about it is about the IV application.

What brand do you take Laura?

Gandalf said:
Laura said:

I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G42N1C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Laura said:
Gandalf said:
Laura said:

I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G42N1C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Laura. I have tried to buy it but unfortunately they don't sell/send that product to canadians. :(

Gandalf said:
Laura said:
Gandalf said:
Laura said:

I got this:

Thanks Laura. I have tried to buy it but unfortunately they don't sell/send that product to canadians. :(
I just called the company directly and they told me that they do ship to Canada. The direct link is below. Hope that helps.:

_http://www.bestvite.com/edta750mg120vegetariancapsules.aspx

truth seeker said:
I just called the company directly and they told me that they do ship to Canada. The direct link is below. Hope that helps.:

Thanks so much truth seeker. It does help and effectively they ship to Canada. :flowers:

Some information about oral CaNa2 EDTA:

_http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/articles/p113.htm

Oral Chelation

By Guy E. Abraham, M.D. FACN

It is estimated that over 400,000 individuals have undergone intravenous (IV) EDTA chelation therapy since its inception some 50 years ago (1). The usual dosage per session is 3 grams of the disodium salt. Magnesium is added to the IV fluid for its known biological effects. Since only a few milligrams of lead and other toxic metals are excreted in the urine in response to IV EDTA, the use of 3 grams of EDTA seems excessive.

Based on studies performed with radioactive EDTA in young adult male subjects, oral EDTA is poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract, with an estimated bioavailability of less than 5 percent (2). However, one must keep in mind the fact that detoxification of heavy metals by EDTA occurs also in the gastrointestinal tract by blocking re-absorption of these metals after secretion by the liver in the bile which is then excreted in the intestinal tract. The intestinal route of detoxification of toxic metals by EDTA is as important as their renal excretion. The binding affinity of EDTA for heavy metals is high enough to prevent their intestinal re-absorption, after EDTA chelation of these metals in the intestinal tract.

The first study on oral EDTA in human subjects was published in 1953, some 50 years ago (3). Seven patients with increased levels of blood and urine lead levels were treated with Ca EDTA both orally and intravenously. The urinary excretion of lead was 10 to 40 times above baseline following IV EDTA, whereas it was 5 to 10 times higher with oral EDTA. The blood lead levels and red blood cell abnormalities improved in patients receiving IV and oral EDTA. Considering the fact that IV EDTA is at least 20 times more bioavailable than the oral route, enteral EDTA compares favorably to the IV route.

The second study of oral Ca EDTA disodium was published in 1954, using a daily dose of 2 grams for 7 days (4). In the symptomatic patients with lead intoxication, the symptoms improved remarkably following oral EDTA and the blood profile returned to normal. No disturbance of serum electrolytes was observed.

In 1956, a third publication reported the results of a study using a daily oral dose of 4 grams of Ca EDTA disodium in 14 patients with industrial lead poisoning (5). There was a marked increase in urine lead excretion, from 5 to 35 times baseline levels. There was a marked increase in fecal lead excretion also, above the estimated oral intake of lead. By the second and third day, most patients experienced very considerable improvements in their subjective symptoms, a feeling of general well being replacing the fatigue, weakness and loss of appetite. Based on their calculations, the authors concluded that this approach increases both urine and fecal lead levels, and most likely resulted in the removal of lead from bones. Several other studies (6-8), confirmed the effectiveness of oral EDTA.

The question then is: Why are we using relatively large doses of EDTA intravenously for detoxification of toxic metals, when the oral route worked very well, is non invasive and does not require constant visits to medical clinics which disrupt daily routine? At four hours per session and three sessions per week, this represents a loss of 12 hours per week. The ideal form of oral EDTA would be the di-potassium salt of the magnesium chelate, since these two very important intracellular minerals would be dissociated in the intestinal tract and available for absorption. The affinity of EDTA for magnesium is very low, resulting in exchange of magnesium for toxic metals in the intestinal tract. This is the approach of choice and preliminary data so far suggest that with the exception of chromium, red cell levels of trace elements do not decrease following 3 months of oral Mg EDTA K2 at a daily dosage of 1.8 gm In some subjects, there is a slight drop in red cell chromium, which is correctable with chromium supplementation. The red cell levels of mercury, lead and cadmium decreased Significantly following 3 months on oral EDTA. There is so far no side effects except urinary urgency in some subjects during the first hour after ingestion.

Oral route for EDTA chelation therapy using the di-potassium salt of EDTA magnesium chelate, based on the above rationale should be considered.

This approach is practical, noninvasive, and based on preliminary data, effective. More studies are needed however in order to fully validate this approach.

Laura, could there be any iron coming in to your diet through your domestic water supply?

My parents had their water tested at a lab and the report made for interesting reading.

Foxx said:
nicklebleu said:
I read somewhere on one of the iron blogs (but cannot unfortunately find the site anymore) that liposomal EDTA may not be such a good idea after all. The author says that it needs to stay extracellular and that the liposomal formulation may get transported inside a cell where it is actually toxic.

I have decided to give up my project of liposomal EDTA and I am currently trying to source pharmaceutical grade EDTA to give iv a try – not something that I advocate doing without medical support on your own, mind you (I have mine in-house ...)!

I am still in the research phase on that and will report back once on my way.

I can understand that it can be problematic to have something that should remain outside the cell end up inside the cell, but did the author of the blog specify why it was toxic? Also, is there any way you can try to relocate that link (searching your browsers history maybe)? I'm quite interested in reading it.

Foxx,

I unfortunately have my browser set up so that my browsing history is wiped out when I close it.
Sorry ...

I am using the same EDTA Gandalf, but decided to hold off a little until I get something like this: _http://www.swansonvitamins.com/trace-minerals-concentrace-trace-mineral-drops-8-fl-oz-liquid - ala Laura's recent post and protocol - to replace any trace minerals (like magnesium) that may also be chelated.

Ennio said:
I am using the same EDTA Gandalf, but decided to hold off a little until I get something like this: _http://www.swansonvitamins.com/trace-minerals-concentrace-trace-mineral-drops-8-fl-oz-liquid - ala Laura's recent post and protocol - to replace any trace minerals (like magnesium) that may also be chelated.

Thanks Ennio.

I am already using this one : _http://monnol.com/index.php/products/general-health/154-concentrace-liquide

Laura said:
Gandalf said:
Laura said:

I got this:

Just ordered some of this. Getting better slowly....I'll run a search for EDTA protocols today. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Gimpy said:
Just ordered some of this. Getting better slowly....I'll run a search for EDTA protocols today. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

According to Dr Gordon, a therapeutic dose is 133mg for every 10 lbs body weight. A maintenance dose is the same for every 20lbs.

An oral "provocative challenge" dose (if you are doing urine tests for excretion) is 1000mg per 35lbs. (ref Dr Gordon's blog site).

A 1990 paper that described measurements of metal/mineral loss with IV EDTA found that the mineral losses are small to moderate and easily accounted for with a supplement. The biggest threat they identified was the loss of zinc - but easily supplemented.

So Gimpy, you might want to start out with low dose and work up to the therapeutic.

Gandalf said:
truth seeker said:

Thanks so much truth seeker. It does help and effectively they ship to Canada. :flowers:

Yes, thanks for the link for Northern orders.

After paying the first class postage, as there was no choice otherwise, Iron Elephant has still not arrived; must be three weeks to a month now. Will just standby :knitting:

LQB said:
Gimpy said:

According to Dr Gordon, a therapeutic dose is 133mg for every 10 lbs body weight. A maintenance dose is the same for every 20lbs.

An oral "provocative challenge" dose (if you are doing urine tests for excretion) is 1000mg per 35lbs. (ref Dr Gordon's blog site).

A 1990 paper that described measurements of metal/mineral loss with IV EDTA found that the mineral losses are small to moderate and easily accounted for with a supplement. The biggest threat they identified was the loss of zinc - but easily supplemented.

So Gimpy, you might want to start out with low dose and work up to the therapeutic.

Thanks for this prescriptive protocols LQB.

voyageur said:
LQB said:
Gimpy said:

Thanks for this prescriptive protocols LQB.

Dr Gordon also says,

. Furthermore the malic acid component will pick up Aluminum and Iron, in some cases better than the EDTA.

So that probably means doubling up on the Mg malate.

Also, in that 1990 paper, the study found unexplained increasing amounts of aluminum coming out as EDTA IV sessions progressed. What the authors finally found was that the Vit C they added to the IV had significant amounts of aluminum. They questioned the manufacturer and got the excuse that it must have been coming from the glass vial or rubber seal ring! :pinocchio:

Back
Top Bottom