Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Persej said:
Maybe this is the reason why it didn't work for your mother LQB?

Well, I can't remember all the details but I think vitamins were added to the IV and minerals were separate. In any event this ND/MD had been providing EDTA IV for years and I think he knew what he was doing. We traded lots of info over that time period.

FWIW I've made a liposomal Disodium EDTA+Magnesium Citrate (citrate is also a chelator) combo before. There was some sedimentation on the bottom but the majority appeared to be encapsulated in solution. Went through the bottle (32oz, with about 30g Disodium EDTA) in the course of about a month without any noticed ill-effects, but be cautious as EDTA is rather non-specific in what it picks up (see below). Haven't made a pure liposomal Disodium EDTA but perhaps I will.

Here's a table of formation constants for metal-EDTA complexes (higher numbers = higher affinity binding; I doubt these values were calculated at physiological pH being that this is from an analytical chemistry class website but the scale should stay the same: Na<Mg<Ca<Fe2+<Al<Zn<Pb<Ni<Cu<Hg<Fe3+): _http://www.cem.msu.edu/~cem333/EDTATable.html

Some other tables of chelator binding affinities:

_http://www.stanford.edu/~cpatton/maxc2tcm.htm
_http://george-eby-research.com/html/stability_constants.html

So there is potential for EDTA to pull out needed minerals (which can be replaced), but this may be outweighed by the higher affinity for heavy metals (Pb, Ni, Hg, Fe3+.)

250g Disodium EDTA powder can be purchased at _www.purebulk.com for $16.25usd.

This concept that Ennio posted a few pages back got stuck on my mind. Perhaps oral EDTA in liposomal form is the way to go?

This lack of iron, which is needed for the bacterial electron transport
chain, can inhibit the growth of many bacteria. However, this does
not help when the inflammation is in the intestines.

In the intestines the iron level is elevated and the Haber Weiss
reaction is very active.

The Haber Weiss Reaction (aka Fenton reaction)

Iron is a catalyzer in The Haber-Weiss reaction, ‘free’ iron can
catalyze the formation of very injurious compounds
, such as the
hydroxyl radical (OH) from compounds such as hydrogen peroxide,
which are normal metabolic byproducts (Fenton reaction).
The hydroxyl radical is highly reactive, and attacks lipids, proteins and
DNA.

The initial reaction with each of these molecules is the formation of
peroxides (e.g., lipid peroxides) that can interact with other molecules
to form cross links. These cross-linked molecules perform their
normal functions either poorly or not at all.

Iron supplementation may aggravate inflammatory status of colitis.
Iron supplementation is one of the principal therapies in
inflammatory bowel disease. Iron is a major prooxidative agent;
therefore therapeutic iron as well as heme iron from chronic mucosal
bleeding can increase the iron-mediated oxidative stress in colitis by
facilitating the Fenton reaction, namely production of hydroxyl
radicals.

It was concluded that iron supplementation can amplify the
inflammatory response and enhance the subsequent mucosal damage

in a rat model of colitis. We suggest that the resultant oxidative stress
generated by iron supplementation leads to the extension and
propagation of crypt abscesses.

Reactive oxygen species may be pathogenic in ulcerative colitis. Oral
iron supplements anecdotally exacerbate inflammatory bowel disease
and iron levels are elevated in the inflamed mucosa
. Mucosal iron
may enhance hydroxyl ion production via Fenton chemistry.
Conversely, the iron chelator, desferrioxamine, is reportedly
beneficial in Crohn's disease.

During inflammation, the superoxide anion (O-2) and hydrogen
peroxide (H2O2) are produced by stimulated polymorphonuclear
leukocytes and macrophages. The toxic effects of these reactive
oxygen intermediates increases when traces of iron are present,
because iron catalyzes the formation of the hydroxyl radical (OH).

Iron release from ferritin depends on O-2 because it can be
prevented by the addition of superoxide dismutase. Catalase and
dimethylsulfoxide have no inhibitory effect on iron mobilization.

[...]

Perhaps DMSO can stop the damage mechanism in the intestines,
but maybe it needs some help from an O-2 scavenger also.

For gut healing effects, chelating heavy metals and iron from the intestines sounds like a reasonable way to go, especially when access to IV EDTA is not an option.

And once one heals the gut, one goes a long way towards healing the rest of the body, or so it seems to me.

Psyche said:
Perhaps oral EDTA in liposomal form is the way to go?

I still think that for the majority of people bloodletting (or donating) is the way to go, as there is no side effects to it, apart from a small bruise in the skin.

EDTA seems to have complex influences on the body, which have not been investigated much, as this is not a sellable drug. We currently have very little information about which minerals are scavanged under what conditions.

For those unable to donate blood for whatever reason I would definitely advocate EDTA - with the above caveats.

nicklebleu said:
Psyche said:
Perhaps oral EDTA in liposomal form is the way to go?

I still think that for the majority of people bloodletting (or donating) is the way to go, as there is no side effects to it, apart from a small bruise in the skin.

EDTA seems to have complex influences on the body, which have not been investigated much, as this is not a sellable drug. We currently have very little information about which minerals are scavanged under what conditions.

For those unable to donate blood for whatever reason I would definitely advocate EDTA - with the above caveats.

Agreed. DMSA and EDTA and other heavy metal chelators can help out in specific situations and in a pinch when one cannot do the "decanting" (as I prefer to call it). But best to let the body do things. It seems to be important to force the body to replace the blood cells with new ones which is what decanting does.

I'm not sure what this means...this is from the cbc done in Feb, can anyone clue me in if this is an indicator of high iron?

Hematocrit: 37.4 range: 34-46.6

Hemaglobin: 12.4 range 11.1-15.9

RDW: 15.5 range 12.3-15.4 (High, this is red blood cells)

Gimpy said:
I'm not sure what this means...this is from the cbc done in Feb, can anyone clue me in if this is an indicator of high iron?

You need the Ferritin number to know. You should insist on having that checked next blood test. I rather suspect that it is high.

Laura said:
Gimpy said:

You need the Ferritin number to know. You should insist on having that checked next blood test. I rather suspect that it is high.

My GP is actually recommending the Ketogenic/Paleo diet to his patients now. Looks like those lipid panels he kept after me for did some good. :headbanger:

I'll see if the Ferritin can be added, I'm sure they're going to want more blood work before the procedure is done.

Gimpy said:
My GP is actually recommending the Ketogenic/Paleo diet to his patients now. Looks like those lipid panels he kept after me for did some good. :headbanger:

That is great news! :thup:

Q: If EDTA is removing calcium, then how does it effect bone growth?

Dr. Gordon: The interesting thing is that when you take the disodium EDTA it actually stimulates bone growth. Disodium EDTA is the intravenous compound that I initially championed. What happens to people as they age is that their blood vessels provably turn to stone. Let’s give it a number. At age ten you have a certain amount of calcium in your aorta. At age eighty there will be a hundred and forty times more calcium in every person’s aorta.

So with disodium EDTA, you actually tie up the calcium that’s in the blood, so that the body thinks there’s a shortage of calcium, and it turns on the parathyroid hormone. The parathyroid hormone then mobilizes that calcium that has been building up in your artery. Provably, we can lower that content of calcium in your vascular tissue, and, amazingly enough, that same parathyroid hormone switch will make you turn on bone growth again. It’s a very exciting process. After all, we’re the only medical society with two practicing ninety-four year old members. They’ve had over two thousand intravenous treatments. They have perfectly healthy bones, nice soft arteries, and they are still practicing. They are still able to show up and enjoy working. Anti-aging is part of the chelation treatment. So there’s a big difference.

So, because nobody could understand everything I just said, we have largely now switched to the calcium EDTA. Calcium EDTA gives you calcium when we give you the EDTA, and it makes it a painless treatment, taking three to five minutes. This cuts down the cost of the treatment from $120 to around $60, making it available to everybody, because it doesn’t interfere with their day’s productivity. People can swing by the doctor’s office, be there in five minutes, and have the treatment. The treatment is given rapidly, because it’s painless, and it will take out as much as ten or twenty times more lead per treatment than we get out of the old treatment. But it doesn’t do that interesting thing that I’ve talked about of lowering the level of calcium in your arteries, and enhancing the uptake of calcium in your bone, which is done under the parathyroid hormone influence. In fact, if you are a world expert on parathyroid hormone, you’ll know that disodium EDTA infusions are called parathyroid tropic hormones.

_http://www.smart-publications.com/interviews/mavericks-of-medicine/dr-garry-gordon/

Q: Can you talk about the difference between calcium EDTA and other forms of EDTA?

Dr. Gordon: Yes. With all of the research out there, there will be people that will be more interested in the sodium EDTA. I emphasized the use of sodium EDTA when I coauthored the book The Chelation Answer with Morton Walker because, as an expert in aging, I’ve been very sensitive to the fact that we appear to be killed by calcium. That sounds like a strong statement with people being told to take calcium, but those of us who are in the know will tell you, without question, the way to kill any nerve cell is to put it in a solution of glutamate and calcium.

Glutamate is a very important part of things that go on in our body, and one is unable to entirely avoid glutamate because it is a part of our diet. Doctors even prescribe it because it helps to heal the stomach. Foods from parmesan cheese to tomatoes and peas all wind up producing glutamate in your body. Unfortunately, the glutamate is what we say sets the gun, and when you add calcium it pulls the trigger. It takes the two of them—the glutamate and calcium—to kill nerve cells. Everybody kind of understands that the older they get the weaker their bones are and they become more and more demineralized. Yet any doctor doing radiology will tell you that the older the person is the easier it is to see the calcium accumulation on the person’s blood vessels. In some people you can see the blood vessels even without putting dye inside the body because there’s so much calcium lining their arteries.

What is average? At age eighty you will have on your aorta—the main blood vessel coming out of your heart—one hundred and forty times more calcium than it had age ten. So, in a sense, it almost becomes like a piece of PVC pipe. When you do an autopsy you actually have to have shears to cut through and remove the heart from the dead person because the aorta is such a rigid pipe. I have spent my life teaching what things like boron, exercise, magnesium, and adequate levels of vitamin K-2 and vitamin D do. That’s all covered on my Web site under the word “calcification” or “calcinosis” or “pathologic calcification.” So, it would sound then as though nobody would ever want to use calcium EDTA if calcium is such a bad guy.

But we get to some other issues here. We use the sodium EDTA because if you look at the ascending order for which particular atoms EDTA likes to bind to—which is well-proven in analytical chemistry—you see that there are certain ones that it likes more than others. EDTA is a weak chelator for things like calcium and magnesium, and it is a powerful chelator for things like lead, mercury, cadmium, and chromium. By this we mean, how strong or weak is the affinity between the EDTA and these various substances? We used sodium EDTA, and we put it in people’s veins because we knew that it loved calcium enough that it would make the calcium in your body relatively scarce during the time we gave you a sodium chelation I.V. treatment.

In other words, if I bubbled it into your arm through an I.V. tube—giving it drip drip drip over a four hour period—during that time the calcium in your blood stream would go down to half normal levels.
This might scare some doctors. They would say, my goodness, your going to kill this patient if he or she doesn’t have any calcium. You do need calcium in the blood in order to enable a muscle to contract, so obviously by lowering it that much the body says wow, this is pretty hard and pretty scary. The body then reacts by tripling the output of a gland called the parathyroid, which puts out a little parathyroid hormone. This then causes the body to put calcium back into the solution, making it available to then replace the calcium that I have temporarily tied up with the EDTA.

So this means that the EDTA has temporarily got a new partner and they’re dancing through the blood vessels. However, this is not a partner that the EDTA wants to have for life, because EDTA really would prefer to find lead for a lifetime partner. Other metals, like zinc, it just likes a lot. So because people have these hard rigid arteries that are lined with calcium we realized that if we could put some of that calcium back into the solution then sodium EDTA was a good choice. However, sodium EDTA did not go in the arm painlessly. It actually causes some aching, some pain, and a little spasm of the vessels. So it can sometimes be difficult to sit in a chair for four hours.

Now that would be okay if you could really have everyone reliably do that. Every person would have a huge benefit. If you could make all the plaque in people’s arteries go away then they won’t ever need bypass surgery. But they need to be sitting in the chair for four hours, thirty times, fifty times, or a hundred times. Many patients have needed a hundred chelations. Intravenous chelation therapy is very safe. In the over ten million people treated with intravenous chelation there haven’t been any deaths. So it wasn’t a bad deal, but you have to measure that against the following facts. We did see an improvement in blood flow in eighty-six percent of the patients treated.They could walk further, go up hills or more flights of stairs, and have less leg cramps and chest pain. They developed better vision and lots of other dramatic things happened.

We treated ten million people. After enough time went by we became aware that although we had improved blood flow, we hadn’t really gotten all the junk out of the artery. So then we had to sit back and say, wait a minute. The person is getting a dramatic benefit. He thinks I’m a genius. But in some cases we actually witnessed that the blockage in the artery had increased. In some cases it had been at sixty percent when we started treatment and was now up to a seventy percent blockage. You sit there and say, wait a minute, how can that be? My arteries are actually more blocked but I’m now able to jog again. I can play golf again. I can run up stairs again. What’s going on?

Obviously, it gets really complicated inside the human body. A lot of the blood vessels are what we call collatoral, and they are very tiny, like capillaries. They can not be seen on an arteriogram. So what really happens in the body needs sophisticated testing, not the outdated arteriogram on people that have been cut open. Every year we cut open half a million people doing some kind of surgery based on a totally misleading test called an angiogram, which only looks at the highway and doesn’t look at the detour sites around a blocked artery. A detour site would be like if you went through the farmer’s field. It’s a dirt road, but it gets around the obstruction and everybody gets to St. Louis on time. Then you didn’t need to have such a big fuss about the obstruction. So in order to find that, you need a PET scan.

A PET scan is expensive, and it’s not widely available, so people continue to be operated on for non-urgent reasons. This is because what they can see on the arteries is never actually what’s going to kill them. In fact, it’s so sad. The plaque that kills you doesn’t show up in the angiogram because it’s in the wall of the vessel. But that’s another topic. That’s under the topic “vulnerable plaque.” The patients that were getting the sodium EDTA could lower the pathologic calcium in their blood vessels but we didn’t get rid of all the plaque. So then we had to sit there and say, what is going on?

Finally, after thirty years of banging our heads against the wall, we began to realize that lead has more of a toxic effect on the body than we had ever dreamed. When we started we knew that any form of chelation—calcium EDTA, sodium EDTA, magnesium EDTA, all of these—would grab lead, but, at the time, we never really believed that lead, mercury, and cadmium were such a big problem for human beings. So we ignored the obvious. Then we finally realized, hey wait a minute, if we use the calcium EDTA then it’s entirely painless. We can give the treatment in three or four minutes and you’re out of the office and back to work. So it doesn’t cost you four hours of your productive income, and you’re not paying the doctor a huge sum of money to have to be observed by competent people while an I.V. is running in your arm.

So it was win-win. What happened is we became aware that because the EDTA was painlessly administered, we could get it in fast enough to get it up to a higher level of concentration. The sodium EDTA was so painful that you had to administer it very slow—drip drip drip. But the calcium EDTA, because it goes in so much more rapidly, was actually more like a deep wax simonize than a wash job. If you administer the sodium EDTA you were helping everybody, but weren’t getting a deep cleansing of the lead, mercury, and cadmium.

Then we begin to wake up to the fact that clearing the body of the heavy metals themselves was the primary reason that people could now run up the stairs
, because of nitric oxide and things related to that. Also, EDTA improves blood viscosity, or the thickness of the blood. If your blood is thick like honey you can’t walk up and down steps. If it’s thin like wine you can you walk up and down just fine. But those are all different topics. All these different forms of EDTA confuse people. I have finally gotten people to wake up to the fact that calcium EDTA works at least as well as the sodium EDTA. That was a shock because ten million people sat in the chair as I did for four hours, taking up a lot of valuable time with an aching arm. Now, worldwide, more and more doctors are switching to calcium EDTA. Calcium EDTA, by the way, is added by the ton to our food, but it’s only added in enough quantities to protect the food from spoiling.

Now I’ve raised the level so that we take it in supplements and get enough—not only to protect the garlic and the other things that are in the supplements from ever turning bad—but also enough to protect the human body. So just like Dow is legally allowed to tell people that you add their EDTA to foodstuff to prevent spoiling, I tell every one of my patients that I don’t want them to spoil on me either. Everybody knows that we have all kinds substances that have been used in an effort to prevent spoilage, but most people never think about their body spoiling. There is this process called lipid peroxidation—when fats turn rancid—and everybody may have heard by now that if fat is rancid it can kill your dog if you give it to him. So you don’t keep things around that are rancid.

What I’m trying to teach people is that EDTA does many things, and we have to have enough in our body at all times. Just think of the intestinal tract itself. There is more bacteria in your intestine than there are cells in your body. There are a lot of biochemical reactions going on and technically some of those bacteria are responsible for converting your food into useful nutrients. For example, B-6, folic acid, and some vitamin K are not in their active form until they’re acted upon in the gut. But if you don’t tie up and protect the human body from interactions with the toxic metals that are in our water, food, and air, then you have a lot of free radicals going on in your intestines. This is why we have a needless epidemic of colon cancer.

My position is very simple. Many many people attack the use of oral chelation that utilizes any form of EDTA. They say that when you put EDTA in your veins it is a hundred percent absorbed and I can’t deny that. It clearly is, and in one four hour infusion you can get some of the same benefits you might get from a month of using the oral form of EDTA. But even if you never wanted to take the oral form of EDTA, you would be well-advised to take some every day because of the epidemic of colon cancer today. This is due to the interaction between various molecules in the intestinal track that wind up becoming what we call oxidized biosalts, which can lead to the formation of very toxic substances.

These very toxic substances wind up inside ninety-nine percent of all people in America today. When we test people’s bowel movements we find carcinogens and mutagens in their feces. These people are bathing their poor colon in substances that are so toxic that it’s a wonder that everybody doesn’t get colon cancer. By merely adding EDTA you prevent all of those lipid peroxidises and other reactions from going on because you are eliminating the metals that catalyze those bad reactions.

So I have my bias with calcium EDTA because it’s well tolerated. I’ve already said these nasty things about calcium, and how much I don’t like taking tons of calcium supplements every day because it’s not the answer that everybody’s being told it is. If you look at Chinese peasants they have strong bones at age ninety, and they have a total daily intake of calcium at approximately a third what we get in our diet. So people are not in need of calcium, but they’re being lied to for complex reasons, and it’s a great business. The calcium EDTA that I’ve chosen to use in both the I.V. and oral forms is there for a specific purpose to do a specific job. In the form of the I.V. it’s because it’s painless, allowing me to get a high enough concentration to really do a deep cleansing and move a lot of lead out of the person’s body in a short time. This makes it more economical and cost effective.

In the oral form, amazingly enough, I’m still getting a win-win because every human being in America does have to take some calcium supplementation, even though I don’t like it, because we have so much phosphorus in our diet—from soft drinks and the high ingestion of meat. So when you look at my work on pathologic calcification as a cause of aging you will see that I tell people that they don’t need that much calcium. When you look at the heath-assessment nutrition evaluation by the United States government and the NIH, and if you read all their papers, you’ll see that the average person gets 1300 milligrams of phosphorus and about 800 milligrams of calcium per day.

So I have to give you about four or five hundred milligrams of calcium a day. In my oral form of chelation you’re only getting roughly sixty, seventy, or eighty milligrams of calcium, so it’s not going to perturb the balance in the wrong way. I’m bringing in the EDTA that I do need in a form that is able to move lead out of people’s body. And the amount of lead that comes out has been researched by Los Alamos Research Laboratory, and even they scratch their heads and say, wait a minute, how does this work out?

_http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/dr-garry-gordon-interview-the-health-benefits-of-EDTA-chelation-therap/page-3

Q: How has EDTA been shown to stimulate mitochondrial activity?

Dr. Gordon: I’ve cogitated that for a long time. It was my eighth chelation treatment when, for the first time in my life, I was able to run up a two thousand foot elevation. That would be approximately three and half miles up a steep road, and I didn’t even start to tire at the top of it, while a two year old Irish Setter had its tongue hanging down to the ground. The chelation treatments turned me into Superman. So how could that happen after just the eighth treatment?

In those days—thirty-four or thirty-five years ago—I was dumb enough to think that maybe I’d found the cardiovascular equivalent of Drano and that the chelation treatments were dissolving arterial blockages. I knew that by the age of twenty-one all of the young men killed in Korea and Vietnam always had lots of arteriosclerosis. So I just assumed that because I’d had disabling angina by the age of twenty-nine that maybe I had found a Roto- Rooter® that cleaned all my vessels. I didn’t really think about the mitochondria at that time. Then I started working with company called Wakunaga in Japan, and they had a form of oral chelation using some garlic substances. We started to look at mitochondrial function because they wound up giving large doses of this oral chelation formula to their handball team and they became the top handball team, in Japan.

It became clear that there was a tremendous increase in energy. Then when you start talking to people who do nothing but study mitochondrial function, they’ll tell you that heavy metals tend to congregate at the outer membrane level of the mitochondria and they’re significantly impeding the ability for you to make the currency of energy which is called ATP (adenosine triphosphate). So if we begin to study that function it becomes very clear that any time you can remove that lead you’ll experience dramatic benefits, and you don’t have to get it all out of your body. This is the most incredible thing about this whole conversation.

Let’s look at the work by Harid Hardy at Mass. General, published in one of the journals of occupational medicine twenty-five or thirty years ago. She was astonished by the recovery of a patient who had come to see her. He had been a painter and he had what we call “Alner Nerve Dropping.” This means that a nerve had died in his arm and part of his arm was useless. It had been that way for around five or ten years. She put him on chelation and in less then two months this whole nerve function in his arm came back.

What we’ve had to learn since then is that it takes fifteen years to remove all of the lead from an adult’s bones. It takes children around five to seven years to do this using chelation therapy. So obviously, the chelation she gave the patient could not have started to have removed all the lead, because, after all, you are born with a significant level of lead.
This is because, as a rapidly growing tissue inside of a mother’s body, the mother’s body assumes you are a waste basket. So the mother’s body takes the lead and mercury out of her system and dumps it into the baby. This is why six hundred thousand children a year are born with mercury toxicity in the United States, according to the EPA.

So lead poisoning is in everybody. Now, if we look at it then, how in the world can all that mitochondrial function and energy happen? Well, some people have a defect in their enzyme functioning which we call COMT. If you have a gene for metyltranferase that’s negative negative (--) then you don’t get rid of these heavy metals at all. So these people still function, but they’re all able to function far better with chelation.

Then you have the inner current poisoning that goes on. My father was an orthopedic physician and surgeon and he was lied to by three different dentists. Each one who saw me said that the last guy put in all my mercury fillings wrong. Then they would drill them all out and put in all new mercury fillings. In other words, it was called a sucker game and they just about killed me. After the third dentist I had narcolepsy, hypoglycemia, and I was so sick that I could hardly function. I had acute mercury toxicity from going way beyond genes into actual things that had been put into my body. And if you look at that it would only make sense then to have a dramatic reversal.

This, by the way, is the toughest part of this oral chelation story. The Dow documents show exactly how many atoms of mercury or lead can be handled by how much EDTA. It is astonishing and it’s a subject of major controversy worldwide. It shows that lead and mercury are the two most effective substances to be tied by EDTA. Now what does “tied up” mean? It means it’s bound. Being bound is essentially, for all practical purposes, like being in a shell game. It’s out of sight and out of mind, out of harm’s way. Even though it hasn’t yet taken the lead or mercury out of your body, by tying it up the mercury can no longer interfere with the production of glutathione in your body, among the thousands of things that it does.

So we just need to realize that the ability to get a chelating agent to nullify the toxic effect of these heavy metals is sufficient in and of itself, but it’s very confusing to the poor patients, because we have patients who continue to die after seeing an average chelation doctor. We have patients die because doctors really are confused. They say, well, we gave you thirty treatments. When you came here you couldn’t walk ten feet and now you’re able to jog five miles, so we must have helped. We’ll see you around. They don’t realize that as soon they stop the treatments they have not cured the patient. If the patient took those treatments over the course of a year then the patient has only gotten rid of one fifteenth of the total lead from his body, which, in the long run, is not a big enough bang to have a long-term benefit—even though he now feels great because you’ve essentially neutralized the enemy.

But the enemy is hiding, waiting to come out again as soon as they stop the chelating. This is why it’s so sad. I have very bright doctors who are helping a lot of people with intravenous chelation that feel fantastically improved—but they don’t understand two things. They feel improved, but they didn’t get the cleaning of their arteries that they had hoped to get.

We’ve treated ten million people. Because arteriosclerosis is in and of itself a disease that is not always static, and is remodeling itself constantly, you have more at some times and a little less at other times. Out of all those we have some people that look like we dramatically cleaned their arteries but that’s not the average story. If we look at the average story we realize that people are getting this increase in energy at the mitochondrial level, so the guy now has the energy to run up and down the steps because he increased his mitochondrial efficiency.

Let’s look at what we call the “ejection fraction,” that is—how strong can your heart contract? When I have a heart that really squeezes down tight, that’s ideal and sixty, seventy, eighty percent of the blood that’s in the heart is ejected. But when it’s flabby and you’re ready to die then it’s down to around a thirty percent ejection, meaning it’s hardly pushing any blood out. We have dramatic pictures of people whose hearts were filling their whole lung cavity. They were living on oxygen machines and we got them all breathing again. We turned many people around, and improved their ejection fractions, but we have to be careful to realize that just because we turned them around doesn’t mean that we cleared their arteries.

In his book The Sinatra Solution, Steve Sinatra—who doesn’t even use chelation—says that he’s routinely canceling heart transplants. I have been able to cancel every heart transplant, because I use all the things that Steve talks about—the carnitine, the alpha lipoic acid, and the ribose—in addition to chelation. The ribose, the magnesium, and the coenzyme Q-10 are important. Ribose is a big story. It is a five carbon sugar. Normally we’re against sugar, but here’s a sugar that takes no effort for the body to convert into the currency of energy called ATP.

So that’s another arrow in our quiver which allows us to treat sicker and sicker people faster and faster by adding these additional things I just rattled off for the treatment of heart disease. It’s important to realize that mitochondrial function is critical. In addition to EDTA, there are many things—from carnitine to coenzyme Q-10—that are going to enhance mitochondrial function. But clearly it helps if you can get some of the heavy metals tied up so they’re no longer effectively preventing ATP production. Again, when we think of it, always think of the simplest example. Lead competes in the body with zinc, and zinc is a catalyst to many enzymes. Whenever you have an enzyme that is not operating efficiently you have a less than efficient, production of biochemical reactions and the person is not operating optimally.

_http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/dr-garry-gordon-interview-the-health-benefits-of-EDTA-chelation-therap/page-5

Q: Can you talk about about the TACT study that NIH is funding?

Dr. Gordon: The big study that’s going on now is the Trial to Access Chelation Therapy—otherwise known as the TACT study—and it’s being funded to the tune of twenty-nine million dollars. Currently, it’s less than halfway through its five year study. The study is merely to test one thing—will people who use some chelation with an oral vitamin and mineral supplement during those five years have less heart attacks, or less of need for surgery, than the people who got a placebo? That is the question that the Trial to Access Chelation Therapy put up.

This study is not near and dear to me because it’s using the old outdated sodium EDTA that requires four hour treatments, which nobody really has time for anymore. The study really came out of my incorrect belief thirty years ago that I found Nirvana. I thought I had found the magic bullet to clean everybody’s arteries and we now know that we don’t have it. So, since I’m really much more focused on the long-term implications today, I’m sorry to see us waste our money on a study that only does a few chelations and then follows subjects for a few years.

It will probably come out as a slight benefit but no where near the kind of benefit that one is able to achieve if people are put on to the oral chelation after the I.V.s. I have nothing against I.V. I love I.V. chelation. It’s always going to be good. Asking if I was against I.V. chelation would be like asking would I be against simonizing my car? I’m never against a deep cleansing. But the problem is that I need to wash my car every day for the next fifty years in addition to the simonizing. So that’s the problem. We’ve got the simonizing and the washing confused. So we have some people saying, oh I took the I.V.s and that’s all I need. Well, that’s not all they need and that’s why I tell everyone to use the oral EDTA as well.

_http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/dr-garry-gordon-interview-the-health-benefits-of-EDTA-chelation-therap/page-6

So, his conclusion is that EDTA is not cleaning the arteries but mitochondria?

I just realized who this Gary Gordon is. I do believe I did some work for him back in 1976, although I was a consultant and did not work for him directly. I don't remember if I ever met him personally, but I remember being in his medical facility a time or two. It's where I first learned about "chelation" and I have been wondering ever since if what he was up to back then was for real or not. It looks like maybe it was!

Laura said:
It takes a few days to really feel the benefits. The plasma replaces fastest and then the RBCs.

You could possibly feel better at about 50 of ferritin. Since you are young, that number may represent a gradual accumulation. See if your doctor will agree to bringing it down.

I tried to ask him, eventually asked the wrong question or without further context. He already thinks that I'm with the ketogenic diet living in the early 19th century where diabetics where treated that way (also when my last Hba1c was 5.1% and the newest 5.8%) and doesn't think it is good for long term treatment and that ketones in the urine are bad and so on... After that I asked him if it would be possible to do blood letting (because I'm not allowed to donate blood), he had to laugh and thought these are middle age practices and there is no need. Imo it didn't matter how I would have asked it because he believes in the standard diet of 50-60% carbs (information he knows) and eating bread is healthy and what my blood results did tell: everything is within the lab range from liver, thyroid, heart, blood pressure (performance test) etc.. The positive side is at least, he likes to know what I did read.

Wasn't "Life Without Bread" originally published in German? Why not give a copy to your doctor?

I tried to donate blood yesterday. The lady she said she stopped the procedure because I indicated that I was experiencing pain. Yes, there was some pain but bearable, and only when she moved my arm with the needle inserted. I even asked the needle be reinserted but then she said that there was a air drawn into the system that is not allowed. The only drew about 30 cc.

She seemed in a hurry throughout, I don't know why as there was only one other donor in the room. I called after I got home. They apologized suggesting the lady who worked with me was new and if I came in again they would put someone more experienced with me. But I still have to wait 8 weeks before I can go back.

They did check my iron level which they said was 14. I called this morning, they said that this is a measure of hemoglobin. This would put me in the middle of the male range.

Of course, this is not a ferritin reading. So getting a ferritin reading will provide needed information. I will be getting that tested in the next week or so.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom