High Dose Melatonin Therapy

Thanks for your answer.
Maybe i should explain the whole problem.
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2018 and i had a heavy treatement. I still have it, but its light now, I take 75mg of loxapine (antipsychotic/neuroleptic) and 10 mg of lepticur (antiparkinson) the evening. At this moment my schyzophrenia is gone but i still rely on those pills for sleep and my brain is completely hooked up, i mean, if i dont take them i dont sleep at all.
So i had the idea to take melatonin at the same time and try to reduce the other pills over time but since i realized that melatonin acts a bit like a drug and that there is an adaptation phase, it is probably a bad idea to try to combine both.
Also i dont know if i have a calcified pineal gland which would mean no secretion of melatonin at night, but i bought 3 liter of lugol iodine to help with that.

Anyway this is quite a situation but i have about 10 months to try to get off ALL DRUGS and recover sleep cycle completely.
Any share of ideas would be appreciated.

Regards.

Thanks for your answer.
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2018 and i had a heavy treatement. I still have it, but its light now, I take 75mg of loxapine (antipsychotic/neuroleptic) and 10 mg of lepticur (antiparkinson) the evening. At this moment my schyzophrenia is gone but i still rely on those pills for sleep and my brain is completely hooked up, i mean, if i dont take them i dont sleep at all.
So i had the idea to take melatonin at the same time and try to reduce the other pills over time but since i realized that melatonin acts a bit like a drug and that there is an adaptation phase, it is probably a bad idea to try to combine both.
Also i dont know if i have a calcified pineal gland which would mean no secretion of melatonin at night, but i bought 3 liter of lugol iodine to help with that.

Anyway this is quite a situation but i have about 10 months to try to get off ALL DRUGS and recover sleep cycle completely.

Regards.
The dose of melatonin is also dependent somewhat on age. We produce less melatonin as we age, so higher doses at older ages is not problematic. Also, ,melatonin is produced in many cells in the body, not just the pineal gland. good interview on melatonin here

Hi Romain. As you might already know, getting off psychiatric medication should be done very carefully and under the guidance of your doctor. Do you have a good, open relationship with him/her? I mean the professional who gave you the diagnosis and the prescription. If you are able, it would be ideal to talk to them about your plan to wean yourself off medication, AND your desire to start melatonin and iodine. With the latter, I personally had experiences that resembled anxiety attacks, after taking it for a while. I stopped obviously, but it wasn't pleasant at the time.

What I am trying to say is that both melatonin and iodine can be powerful substances and you need to know at least how they will interact with your current medication before you even consider starting them.

Yes I have talked to a few people about it and they said it can be damaging to stop antipsychotics abruptly so i am not gonna stop it.
Also the method with the melatonin wont work because they work on different receptor of the brain.
I do have time (10 months) to wean off everything so i am gonna proceed carefully.

Today I was researching about Toxic additives in supplements, found out that almost all of the product is/was, maybe except few.
And I threw away lots of 31022B50-7789-41D2-815A-9A65B57EBA2D.jpegmy own vitamins and supplements. But, it seems like my melatonin from the “Bestvite” is none additive.

• Soybean oil. This is partially hydrogenated, and it’s also genetically modified unless otherwise stated.
  • Magnesium stearate. The controversy here isn’t over the magnesium, but over the stearate, or stearic acid. The latter was linked in this study to reduced T-cell function.
  • Titanium Dioxide. This filler can cause DNA damage and intestinal inflammation.
  • Corn starch. Unless otherwise specified, corn or corn products are GMO in the US. That’s a good enough reason to avoid it.
  • Corn maltodextrin. Ditto above.
  • Stearic Acid. As with magnesium stearate, this was linked in this study to reduced T-cell function.
  • Citric acid: usually derived from GMO corn.
  • Cellulose powder. This is derived from wood pulp.
  • Modified food starch. This is almost always from corn, which means it’s GMO unless otherwise stated.
  • Sucrose. This is table sugar. It’s not enough that it’s in all prepackaged foods—now it’s in supplements too! Plus, it’s usually GMO.
  • Polyethylene glycol. Derived from petroleum, this is made from ethylene glycol (aka antifreeze.)
  • Sorbitol: These are sugar alcohols. If you’re very sensitive to FODMAPs, they aren’t a good choice, but otherwise the small amount you’d get in your supplement likely isn’t enough to cause bloating.
  • Xylitol: Ditto above.
  • Anti-caking agents. These absorb excess moisture, and prevent clumping.
  • Soy lecithin: Anything made with soy is GMO unless otherwise specified. Avoid.
  • Brominated vegetable oil (BVO): bromine is an element that acts as a competitive inhibitor with iodine, potentially leading to or exacerbating hypothyroidism.
  • Ammonium phosphatides. This is manufactured using rapeseed oil, which is not a food (and it’s genetically modified).
  • Preservatives: These give the ingredients a longer shelf life.
  • Ascorbic acid: although this is vitamin C, most of it is made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Sodium benzoate. Benzene is a byproduct of this one—a known carcinogen.
  • Sulfites. These can cause severe asthma reactions in sensitive individuals. They are also a relatively common trigger for migraines.
  • Sodium ascorbate. This is made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Ascorbyl palmitate. Ditto above—also made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Nitrates or nitrites. In the body these form carcinogenic (cancer-causing) nitrosamines.
  • Sodium citrate. Usually derived from GMO corn.
  • Citric acid. Usually derived from GMO corn

Here are the additives to look for on your supplement label and why you’ll never find them in a Pure Encapsulations® product.

Today I was researching about Toxic additives in supplements, found out that almost all of the product is/was, maybe except few.
And I threw away lots of View attachment 73300my own vitamins and supplements. But, it seems like my melatonin from the “Bestvite” is none additive.

• Soybean oil. This is partially hydrogenated, and it’s also genetically modified unless otherwise stated.
  • Magnesium stearate. The controversy here isn’t over the magnesium, but over the stearate, or stearic acid. The latter was linked in this study to reduced T-cell function.
  • Titanium Dioxide. This filler can cause DNA damage and intestinal inflammation.
  • Corn starch. Unless otherwise specified, corn or corn products are GMO in the US. That’s a good enough reason to avoid it.
  • Corn maltodextrin. Ditto above.
  • Stearic Acid. As with magnesium stearate, this was linked in this study to reduced T-cell function.
  • Citric acid: usually derived from GMO corn.
  • Cellulose powder. This is derived from wood pulp.
  • Modified food starch. This is almost always from corn, which means it’s GMO unless otherwise stated.
  • Sucrose. This is table sugar. It’s not enough that it’s in all prepackaged foods—now it’s in supplements too! Plus, it’s usually GMO.
  • Polyethylene glycol. Derived from petroleum, this is made from ethylene glycol (aka antifreeze.)
  • Sorbitol: These are sugar alcohols. If you’re very sensitive to FODMAPs, they aren’t a good choice, but otherwise the small amount you’d get in your supplement likely isn’t enough to cause bloating.
  • Xylitol: Ditto above.
  • Anti-caking agents. These absorb excess moisture, and prevent clumping.
  • Tricalcium phosphate. Large amounts of this cause digestive upset; small amounts can do the same in sensitive individuals.
  • Sodium ferrocyanide. This is “toxic to blood, lungs, and mucus membranes.”
  • Tricalcium silicate. An ingredient in cement, this is hazardous when inhaled or on skin contact. I didn’t see anything about ingesting it, but seems like a bad idea to me!
  • Emulsifiers: These help water and fats to combine.
  • Soy lecithin: Anything made with soy is GMO unless otherwise specified. Avoid.
  • Brominated vegetable oil (BVO): bromine is an element that acts as a competitive inhibitor with iodine, potentially leading to or exacerbating hypothyroidism.
  • Ammonium phosphatides. This is manufactured using rapeseed oil, which is not a food (and it’s genetically modified).
  • Preservatives: These give the ingredients a longer shelf life.
  • Ascorbic acid: although this is vitamin C, most of it is made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Sodium benzoate. Benzene is a byproduct of this one—a known carcinogen.
  • Sulfites. These can cause severe asthma reactions in sensitive individuals. They are also a relatively common trigger for migraines.
  • Sodium ascorbate. This is made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Ascorbyl palmitate. Ditto above—also made from GMO corn unless otherwise stated.
  • Nitrates or nitrites. In the body these form carcinogenic (cancer-causing) nitrosamines.
  • Sodium citrate. Usually derived from GMO corn.
  • Citric acid. Usually derived from GMO corn

Here are the additives to look for on your supplement label and why you’ll never find them in a Pure Encapsulations® product.
i take my supplements from this lab wich present their products with info and study. It seems they are free additiv.
Here's the link for vegan melatonine, in french language

I've been a regular taker of melatonin for maybe over a decade now. My usual dosage was 10mg per night. After quitting melatonin cold turkey for a week and a half, I noticed that the sensitivity of my sleep cycle to things like eating carbs, protein, and fat later in the day or at night has decreased significantly. This has been a large breakthrough for me, since I've been noticing over the past number of years, while cycling through combinations of keto, carnivore, and paleo, that I increasingly needed to avoid eating anything past the very early afternoon, since that would cause me to wake up randomly at 3am for a couple of hours before I fell back asleep again. It's been a very frustrating experience for me, relying on over-the-counter sleep medications to try and knock me out to get a full night's sleep.

I am happy to say that I may have found the root cause of this in the melatonin supplementation, either due to the amount or the duration I've been on it. Since swearing off that I've been focusing more on using more natural methods to elevate melatonin, such as getting sunlight in the early morning and evening, avoiding blue light later at night, and so on.

Earlier this week I ended up visiting a Naturopath with a bioresonance device, which analyzed my body's responses to various electromagnetic frequencies to look for imbalances in my biochemistry, microbiome, emotions, etc. It looked at nutrient deficiencies, presence of heavy metals, food sensitivities, emotional blockages, state of chakras, and so on. For my organs they were all in healthy ranges except my thymus and my pineal gland, both of which were extremely over-active. So I thought that was interesting.

I've been a regular taker of melatonin for maybe over a decade now. My usual dosage was 10mg per night. After quitting melatonin cold turkey for a week and a half, I noticed that the sensitivity of my sleep cycle to things like eating carbs, protein, and fat later in the day or at night has decreased significantly. This has been a large breakthrough for me, since I've been noticing over the past number of years, while cycling through combinations of keto, carnivore, and paleo, that I increasingly needed to avoid eating anything past the very early afternoon, since that would cause me to wake up randomly at 3am for a couple of hours before I fell back asleep again. It's been a very frustrating experience for me, relying on over-the-counter sleep medications to try and knock me out to get a full night's sleep.

I am happy to say that I may have found the root cause of this in the melatonin supplementation, either due to the amount or the duration I've been on it. Since swearing off that I've been focusing more on using more natural methods to elevate melatonin, such as getting sunlight in the early morning and evening, avoiding blue light later at night, and so on.

Earlier this week I ended up visiting a Naturopath with a bioresonance device, which analyzed my body's responses to various electromagnetic frequencies to look for imbalances in my biochemistry, microbiome, emotions, etc. It looked at nutrient deficiencies, presence of heavy metals, food sensitivities, emotional blockages, state of chakras, and so on. For my organs they were all in healthy ranges except my thymus and my pineal gland, both of which were extremely over-active. So I thought that was interesting.

So it sounds like you're getting a good night's rest now?

I also get up quite early, often with vivd reams. I went through a period of 3 AM wakeups for months. Usually I'd roll out my sauna blanket and sleep in there for another hour or so. I've never taken 10mg, though, usually 3 mg, and my max was 5 mg. I looked up the dosages on the thread and found some things I'd forgotten about!

Melatonin usually has a short life of 30 to 40 minutes. The decline in melatonin levels in your bloodstream will cause your temperature to rise, which your body interprets as a wake-up signal. People who take relatively high doses (10mg), are able to sustain elevated melatonin levels through the night. Others, take a smaller dose of melatonin if they wake up in the middle of the night. Another option is to take a time released melatonin. Nevertheless, the doses that Reiter recommends for people who choose to take melatonin (based on 90s research) are:

Sleep 0.2-10mg
Jet lag 1-10mg
Anti-ageing 0.1-3mg
Shift work 1-5mg
Immune stimulation 2-20mg

The doses that Laura suggested from the other book, looked better. But keep in mind that if there's a virus flying around, you can take 2-20mg to help you fight it off.

So maybe I have been waking up in the early morning as the melatonin wears off. Very interesting. I was going by this graph below, and since I'm younger than 40, I thought that I may as well keep my doses low.

For insomnia or restless, broken sleep:

Tak 1 mg melatonin. If you are not asleep in 30 minutes take another 1 mg. If in 30 min, not asleep, repeat with another 1 mg, up to 5 mg. (I guess if 5 doesn't work, you could start higher the next night with 2 mg, then another 2 mg in 30 min, and so on.)

Anyway, after you finally do get a night's sleep (having found the amount that does the job), continue taking that amount every night for 2 weeks for a reset, and then, if you are in the "anti-aging" set, go to your normal supplementation amount.

Anti-aging:
AgeDose 30 minutes before sleep time
40-44.5 to 1 mg
45-541 to 2 mg
55-642 to 2.5 mg
65-742.5 to 5 mg
75 plus3.5 to 5 mg

If groggy next day, reduce your dose by 1/2 mg. Try that, if still groggy, reduce again. Obviously, if the suggested amounts don't do the job, you can try upping it by 1/2 mg at a time.

Thanks for posting, it was good to revisit the info! Back to the ol' drawing board.

I thought I'd post this information here since it does involve the use of high dose melatonin specifically with regard to detoxifying the brain. If this idea interests you, it is important to research the topic thoroughly, so this post is hopefully helpful toward that end.

In the video at the very bottom of this post, the speaker, Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, is largely addressing autism in children. However, most of what he’s discussing is relevant to us all. And while the extremely high dosages of melatonin he’s discussing are appropriate for severe cases of autism, many of us might benefit from working with these concepts at lower dosages. The high dose melatonin, along with other modalities he discusses — including the proper use of the appropriate binders (extremely important) — are used to detox the brain of aluminum, fluoride, toxic chemicals, etc. For this purpose, the melatonin he’s recommending is either liposomal or transdermal, both of which prove effective for detoxifying the brain.

Klinhardt also states, again with regard to autism, that before detoxifying the brain with high dose melatonin, the lymphatic and venous drainage of the brain need to be opened. There is a cream Klinghardt uses to achieve this (as per the video). I’m leaving open how these ideas and products may be applied to those without autism who are just seeking to detox the brain. In addition to other links I'm posting here, I'll provide a link to U.S. practitioners who have trained with Klinghardt.

Also in the video, Klinghardt points out the rather stunning fact that fifty percent of us will develop Alzheimer’s (I'm uncertain as to whether this is just in the U.S. or worldwide). This is due to the same factors that cause autism: namely, the synergy of mercury, lead, aluminum, agrochemicals — additionally, fluoride, which he has a lot to say about; most significantly, the fact that fluoride is a major factor in preventing the pineal gland from producing melatonin. He also discusses the deleterious effects of EMR.

In addition to viewing the video, I recommend reading this Klinghardt article to more fully understand how heavy metals impede the vital work of the immune system. I know the topic of heavy metals is discussed elsewhere at this forum. However, speaking for myself, I never fully understood how heavy metals deposited at specific sites in the body shut down the immune system at those sites, which then allows prions, retroviruses, etc., to flourish -- again, at those specific sites. So, even if one is treating the immune system holistically, the treatment will be ineffective at the sites where there are heavy metal deposits since the immune system has been shut down in these areas. In other words, heavy metals create a kind of protective shield for chronic disease. But it’s the site specific nature of this that I never fully understood before.

Here's the article:

Klinghardt is an expert in detoxification and the immune system; and, as you’ll see in his talk, he seems to be a visionary in many respects. You can further research his work and the various products and tools he uses at Klinghardt Academy [klinghardtacademy.com].

One tool Klinghardt discusses in the video and recommends for everyone is the ionic foot bath. The brand he recommends is expensive, but unfortunately the cheaper ones don’t work. The high end ones are phenomenal at detoxing through the feet — also the hands, which connects more to the brain. Scroll down the page linked to below and you’ll see the foot bath he recommends (along with some other useful products). People are fooled with the cheaper versions of these foot baths since often there’s a chemical reaction which causes the water to change color and this is erroneously interpreted as the result of detoxification.

For more information on how powerful a tool the ionic foot bath is see the video linked to next to the product information titled "Why use an Ionic Foot Bath," which, again, relates to autism, but you can see more generally how it would be very useful for everyone. Something mentioned in that video is a study in which autistic teenagers— before using any other modalities — were given just the foot bath for a period of time with the result that 65 percent of their symptoms disappeared.

(It occurs to me that the ionic foot bath is something that could be put to use at FOTCM's various locations, in addition to the other healing modalities being used.)

Here's where you can find the ionic foot bath:

Another Klinghardt related item I thought I’d link to is the binder par excellence that he recommends. In the video I’ve been discussing he talks about Chlorella Vulgaris. But he later learned it was really Chlorella Pyrenoidosa that was the most effective for detoxification due to a powerful substance found in the thicker cell wall. The Chlorella Vulgaris, because it has a more permeable cell wall, is better for nutritional supplementation. In addition to the product information, you can watch the short video he has posted along with the product description in which he discusses this. Note: BioPure is the product line Klinghardt is affiliated with, and looks to have very high production standards; Ki Science is another product line he highly recommends, although he has no financial stake.

Klinghardt also highly recommends using a cilantro tincture (BioPure also has this product) to help with detoxification. I remember reading once that cilantro works synergistically with chlorella for detoxification, so this is a confirmation of that.

Here is the Klinghardt video I've been discussing. I believe it offers some important insights, and a workable blueprint to refer to. Again, as I said previously, the high dosages of melatonin he's talking about relates to extreme cases of childhood autism. However, these concepts can be applied more generally with further research and/or guidance from a Klinghardt trained practitioner:

Here’s a link to detailed information related to what he's discussing. Although it pertains to autism, it's relevant to understanding brain function, the complexities of proper detoxification, etc.

What I like about Klinghardt is how specific his protocols are. Some of us may already have a general feel for a lot of what he's talking about, but lack the specifics needed to create the proper protocols. For those interested, it would be beneficial, in the U.S. at least, to find a health practitioner who has trained with Klinghardt. Here's a link from his site to a list of practitioners:

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/im...inghardt_certified_practitioners.pdf?v=2019.1

A seminal technique these practitioners are taught is called Autonomic Response Testing (ART). Many of us already know about the type of muscle testing utilized in kinesiology. This takes that idea and profoundly expands upon it. Here's a description of how it works:

I do realize this post goes far and above the use of high dose melatonin, but since high dose melatonin is seminal to Klinghardt's treatment of autism, and since these ideas can be applied to the treatment and/or prevention of Alzheimer's (for example), I thought this might be the place to post this. I've been investigating Klinghardt for some time now related to my own health issues, and so I wanted to share some of this information somewhere at the forum.
Yes, I agree. He seems to have very deep insight into a lot of areas, microbial infections, toxicity, EMF etc, especially the difficult and severe ones.

What I also like he never gives up, even if he cures 80%, he is always concerned with the other 20%. He always seek natural remedies and methods that people can get and apply to themselves. He is not against pharmaceuticals, he is just looking for the most effective, cheapest, and that does the least harm.

Also, in these 2 videos from the Klinghardt Institute's YT channel he talks about Retroviruses and HERV (1 & 2) and Lyme and co-infections (1, 2, and 3). Very interesting. He talks about why some of the infections causes more severe symptoms in certain people and why they never get better.

Retrovirus and HERV

Lyme

Klinghardt Debrief: Biological Approach to Chronic Lyme Disease - Part 3

It is hard to do a synopsis of these videos, too much information.

In one of the Lyme videos (part 1, starts 09:55) I watched yesterday! he mentions the Otzi iceman (see article Artist tattooed himself to solve mystery tools and technique used on Otzi the iceman 5,300 years ago).

He has a different story to the Otzi iceman and what they found in his tissues and his bones, and about the tatoos, and a scientists death shortly after publishing a paper about it.

Thanks for your answer.

Regards.
Do you have sleep problems in particular places. Do you try to sleep in other places. Do you have every nigh sleep problem or only sometimes?

Do you try to take very small amount of coffeine (tea, coffe) or nicotine before sleep?

I tried myself melatonin in liquid form (melatonin dissolved in glicerin), but it gives me deep relaxing sleep, only when I tried first time. Then it stops to work. Maybe I shoul take very high dose but glicerin could increase sugar level in my blood. If I can only find pure melatonin, maybe I can will try again.

since that would cause me to wake up randomly at 3am for a couple of hours before I fell back asleep again. It's been a very frustrating experience for me, relying on over-the-counter sleep medications to try and knock me out to get a full night's sleep.
I have the same problem, but I believe it occure becouse I eat spacy food or highly processed food that can contain nanoparticles that makes my body more irritated. Pharmaceuticalsc can also have this irritating particles (titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate). Natural yogurt can level this effect. I bought yogurt maker and make my own yougurt with organic milk and natural yogurt from shop as a source of bacteria starter.
When I ate natural food made by myself, my sleep quality is not bad.

The best way to produce natural melatonin is to avoid stresfull life, and exposure yourself on natural day light (even if there's no sun in you area).

Electromagnetic exposure can also destrict natural melatonin production. I will try to build a tent with two blanket on the top to see if this increase my sleep level. Maybe we don't need expensive solutions to live better.

Back
Top Bottom