Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Well, if you can recognize conceptual phrasing that is similar and not just similar because really separated events were similar, then they are probably doublets/triplets. In that case, give each its own entry and use the date that seems most reliable.

I think we ought to have a "plus or minus" X years thing in addition to days. We might also want to have some kind of box to check if we suspect the item of being a doublet or triplet.

Laura said:
I've been working on a post for a couple of hours and lost the whole damn thing. I guess I wasn't being entirely coherent with my idea I was having today. So I'll let it cook a little longer and see how I feel about it later.

Meanwhile, this book appears to be impossible to purchase or find except in a library.

The chronicle of John Malalas : a translation
by John Malalas; Elizabeth Jeffreys; et al

Here is my attempt:

_http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/the-chronicle-of-john-malalas-a-translation-jeffreys-scott/7238682 $125
_http://www.calameo.com/books/000675905f2f4bf509d49 (seems you can read it here, not sure all pages are available...)
_http://bookre.org/reader?file=1068423 (ditto)

Let me know if this helps!

dant said:
Laura said:
Meanwhile, this book appears to be impossible to purchase or find except in a library.

Here is my attempt:

_http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/the-chronicle-of-john-malalas-a-translation-jeffreys-scott/7238682 $125
_http://www.calameo.com/books/000675905f2f4bf509d49 (seems you can read it here, not sure all pages are available...)
_http://bookre.org/reader?file=1068423 (ditto)

Let me know if this helps!

Zadius and AI both sent me PDF copies!!!

Zadius Sky said:
Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:

Found it. Emailing it to you right now.

Ah, I found it, too, and emailed it to her before seeing your post. :-[

Laura said:
Another bit I found just a bit ago because I was searching on Nonius Marcellus who apparently preserved bits from a lot of otherwise totally lost ancient authors in his dictionary. The following is full of interesting little tidbits.

How the text of Nonius Marcellus reaches us
March 4th, 2011 by Roger Pearse

The 4th century Latin dictionary by Nonius Marcellus <snipped>

Hi Laura I found this video, very sad...hope you have the chance to see it..:)
http://youtu.be/c34U0Pwz4_c

Laura said:
I think we ought to have a "plus or minus" X years thing in addition to days. We might also want to have some kind of box to check if we suspect the item of being a doublet or triplet.

Done. Uncertainties now can be entered as Y, M and/or D. Below keywords there is a new field where you can enter the ID of one or several suspected duplicates. In case there are more, separate the IDs by comma.

On the main listing page you now also can sort by this new duplicate field, making it easier to process them.

Laura said:

It seems that the PDF is missing the next to last page of the text, p. 306...

Laura said:
Laura said:

The library has this book, so I'll see if I can get it next week or perhaps tomorrow.

Oxajil said:
Laura said:
Laura said:

The library has this book, so I'll see if I can get it next week or perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks. Just scan that one page.

Laura said:
Laura said:

I checked the versions dant came up with and they are both missing the same page 306. So no quick fix possible. :(

While doing research in the framework of the Jewish War (Flavius Josephus) I stumbled upon a chronicle which seems to have used Malalas as one of its main sources.

It's called Russian Primary Chronicle: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_Chronicle

The Primary Chronicle (Old Church Slavonic: Повѣсть времяньныхъ лѣтъ, Latin transliteration Povest' Vremyan'nykh Let' , often translated into English as Tale of Bygone Years) is a history of Kievan Rus' from about 850 to 1110, originally compiled in Kiev about 1113. The work is considered to be a fundamental source in the interpretation of the history of the Eastern Slav.

The original compilation was long considered to be the work of a monk named Nestor and hence was formerly referred to as Nestor's Chronicle or Nestor's manuscript. His compilation has not been preserved. Nestor's many sources included earlier (now-lost) Slavonic chronicles, the Byzantine annals of John Malalas and George Hamartolus, native legends and Norse sagas, several Greek religious texts, Rus'-Byzantine treaties, and oral accounts of Yan Vyshatich and other military leaders. Nestor worked at the court of Sviatopolk II of Kiev and probably shared his pro-Scandinavian policies.

The early part is rich in anecdotal stories, among which are the arrival of the three Varangian brothers, the founding of Kiev, the murder of Askold and Dir, the death of Oleg, who was killed by a serpent concealed in the skeleton of his horse, and the vengeance taken by Olga, the wife of Igor, on the Drevlians, who had murdered her husband. The account of the labors of Saints Cyril and Methodius among the Slavic peoples is also very interesting, and to Nestor we owe the tale of the summary way in which Vladimir the Great suppressed the worship of Perun and other traditional gods at Kiev.

[continued...]

There's a PDF file (325 pages) of an English translation (translated and edited by Samuel Hazzard Cross and Olgerd P. Sherbowitz-Wetzor. Cambridge, MA: The Mediaeval Academy of America, 1953) of the so called Laurentian edition (oldest version) available here: _http://www.mgh-bibliothek.de/dokumente/a/a011458.pdf

Might be a welcome addition as a possible source for the database. FWIW.

EDIT: fixed wrong PDF link

Zadig, I notice that you are doing exactly what we don't want to do: putting the location and type of event in the keywords.

For example, in your keywords on item: 178 you had "pestilence, Byzantium". "Pestilence" is already indicated in the TYPE of event and the location, Byzantium is already in the location field. The Keywords filed is for FURTHER descriptive terms, short concise if possible.

So, after reading your text, I changed the keywords to "worldwide death and destruction" which is basically the thrust/line of force of that particular text.

What is important, besides helping a searcher, is that this exercises your critical thinking to try to find a way to further define the event in a way that will be intuitive and useful.

Zadig, I notice that you are doing exactly what we don't want to do: putting the location and type of event in the keywords.

I know.

These entries are old and I didn't have the time to change the keywords. I will do it during the week-end.

Zadig said:

I know.

These entries are old and I didn't have the time to change the keywords. I will do it during the week-end.

Thanks. i half-registered the low number of the item but I've got four books open here on my desk and my head is going around and around between Cometographia, GoT and PtL.

Meanwhile, books I would like to get but we can't afford them, so we need scans if somebody can get them from Uni libraries and scan them. I guess they are so expensive because of this:

This item is printed to order. Items which are printed to order are normally despatched and charged within 5-10 days.

The Chronography of George Synkellos
A Byzantine Chronicle of Universal History from the Creation
Translated by William Adler and Paul Tuffin
728 pages | 234x156mm
978-0-19-924190-3 | Hardback | 22 August 2002
Price: £218.00

The Chronicle of Adam Usk 1377-1421
Edited with a facing-page translation by C. Given-Wilson
Clarendon Press Oxford Medieval Texts
388 pages | 216x138mm
978-0-19-820483-1 | Hardback | 23 January 1997
Price: £135.00

Two of the Saxon Chronicles Parallel
With supplementary extracts from the others. A revised text edited with Introduction, Notes, Appendices, and Glossary, on the basis of an edition by John Earle
Charles Plummer
With a bibliographical note by Dorothy Whitelock
1,053 pages | 182x121mm
978-0-19-811104-7 | Hardback | 26 March 1963
Price: £162.00

The Chronicle of John of Worcester
Volume II: The Annals from 450 to 1066
Edited by the late R. R. Darlington and P. McGurk
With a facing-page translation by Jennifer Bray, and P. McGurk
804 pages | 4 pp plates | 216x138mm
978-0-19-822261-3 | Hardback | 16 March 1995
Price: £184.00

The Chronicle of Battle Abbey
Edited with a facing-page English translation from the Latin text by Eleanor Searle
372 pages | 216x138mm
978-0-19-822238-5 | Hardback | 08 May 1980
Price: £112.00

The Chronicle of John of Worcester
Volume III: The Annals from 1067 to 1140 with the Gloucester Interpolations and the Continuation to 1141
John of Worcester
Edited and translated by P. McGurk
408 pages | 4 plates | 216x136mm
978-0-19-820702-3 | Hardback | 15 October 1998
Price: £169.00

The St Albans Chronicle, Volume I 1376-1394
The Chronica Maiora of Thomas Walsingham
Edited by John Taylor, Wendy R. Childs, and Leslie Watkiss
1,150 pages | 3 in-text half-tones | 216x138mm
978-0-19-820471-8 | Hardback | 09 October 2003