Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Laura said:
Considering the fact that many of the things that were happening back then have been happening in the past dozen years with increasing frequency, I think that learning about it is practically survival training.

Today was gruelling for me because I do see what an awful, terrifying period those people lived through, and how many millions of them died. After being immersed in these texts for so long, I start to feel like I know the people almost personally.

But obviously, some survived, mostly people who got together and helped each other or holed up in their country places which then turned into monasteries because of the whole religious thing that was going on. In times like that, I guess it is natural for ignorant people to run screaming to their god because they have no idea what is happening. They thought if they all got together and prayed a lot, it would go away and thus the monastic type of life came into being. I hope we can do better this time around with knowledge.

Blood falling on today world on today's people around you. People dying by millions and the bodies that have to be buried fast so that further problems can be avoided. Just imagine something like this happening today. Additionally to suddenly having to live without supermarkets, malls, electricity, your "old normal life". Most of us today in the western world are less prepared that the people back then in the ancient times in my opinion.

I agree with you, Laura, that learning about it is practically survival training. To know about what happened and which solutions they found in the past may help us in the future to make a difference. Not only for yourself but also for some around us. When there are enough people who go together and help each other unconditionally; when there enough who discourage the religious things spreading; when there are enough who let others go the way they choose, when there are enough who want networking instead of hierarchy, when there are enough who keep the fanatics and "elites" at bay, when there are enough of us spreading the knowledge we have without being fanatic about it, when a lot of us have the knowledge how the world really "works", then we may be able to make changes that last...

I really hope we will do better this time around with knowledge.

This is why I am trying to learn about the past to be better prepared for the future I "see". Thank you Laura and the team for helping us. Take care of yourself.

Laura said:
Another of the "strange markings" business with a different twist from GoT, year 582:

In the Paris region real blood rained from a cloud, falling on the clothes of quite a number of people and so staining them with gore that they stripped them off in horror. This portent was observed in three different places in that city. In the Senlis area a man woke up one morning to find the whole of the inside of his house spattered with blood. This year the people suffered from a terrible epidemic; and great numbers of them were carried off by a whole series of malignant diseases, the main symptoms of which were boils and tumors...

Thank you for sharing, Laura. This source mentions "strange markings" first and a disease later on. All four similar texts in this thread mention "strange markings" connected with some sort of plague...

Laura said:
So, we are still without an answer as to what kind of stuff could get on clothes and then make a person sick so that they died rather quickly unless it is just simply something that falls from the sky.

Interesting puzzle:

I don't know if this fits, yet poking around came to Uzziah, aka Azariah, king of the ancient Kingdom of Judah. A priliminary read here _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzziah

Uzziah was sixteen when he became king of Judah and reigned for fifty-two years. William F. Albright has dated his reign to 783 – 742 BC.[citation needed] Edwin R. Thiele's chronology has Uzziah becoming coregent with his father Amaziah in 792/791 BC.[2] Uzziah was struck with leprosy for disobeying the Lord (2 Kings 15:5);(2 Chronicles 26:19-21). Thiele dates Uzziah's being struck with leprosy to 751/750 BC, at which time his son Jotham took over the government, with Uzziah living on until 740/739 BC.[2] Pekah became king of Israel in the last year of Uzziah's reign. The Catholic Encyclopedia dates his reign from 809-759 B.C.[1]

Further along:

Then his pride led to his downfall. He entered the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the altar of incense. Azariah the High Priest saw this as an attempt to usurp the prerogatives of the priests[3] and confronted him with a band of eighty priests, saying, "It is not right for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the LORD. That is for the priests, the descendants of Aaron, who have been consecrated to burn incense." (2 Chronicles 26:18) In the meantime a great earthquake shook the ground and a rent was made in the temple, and the bright rays of the sun shone through it, and fell upon the king's face, insomuch that the leprosy seized upon him immediately. (Josephus Flavius, Antiquities IX 10:4).

Uzziah was suddenly struck with tzaraat while in the act of offering incense (2 Chronicles 26:19-21), and he was driven from the Temple and compelled to reside in "a separate house" until his death (2 Kings 15:5, 27; 2 Chronicles 26:3). The government was turned over to his son Jotham (2 Kings 15:5), a coregency that lasted for the last 11 years of Uzziah's life (751/750 to 740/739 BC).

Not sure about the claim by Flavius, yet the word tzaraat may have substance.

Of "tzaraat" _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzziah

The Hebrew noun tzaraath (Hebrew צרעת [tsaˈʁaʕat], Romanized Tiberian Hebrew ṣāraʻaṯ and numerous variants of English transliteration, including tzaraas, tzaraat, tsaraas and tsaraat) describes disfigurative conditions of the skin and body hair mainly referred to in chapters 13-14 of Leviticus, as well as conditions seemingly equivalent to mildew on clothing and houses.

Not sure if this pertains to the "mark" on cloths, i.e. mildew, a fungal issue.

I thought I remembered reading about red rain in recent years, so I did a search for it on the SotT site (via Google, colored rain red) as well as on the web in general also via Google. Got plenty of results, too many to reveal here. It turns out the main cause would be spores of some algae type, Trachelomonas.

From source: _http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2012/11/18/sri-lanka-red-rain-mistery-solved/ :

Medical Research Institute (MRI) Director Dr Anil Samaranayake was deployed by The Health Ministry Secretary to conduct a study to ascertain the reasons for red rain by taking water samples from Monaragala and Polonnaruwa. The Ministry of Health reported the red rain experienced in certain areas is due to the presence bacteria of the trachelomonas algae species. Medical Research Institute in Borella and Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology conducted laboratory tests which indicated that the change in the rainwater’s color was caused due to the presence bacteria of the ‘trachelomonas’ algae specie. Most commonly found within soil, the bacteria are said to diverse between red and green colors. Experiments carried out at the Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology (SLIN) proved conclusively that the cause for the unusual colour of the rain was the presence of a unicellular micro-organism belonging to Kingdom Protista, of the Phylum Euglenozoa, known as Trachelomonas. Trachelomonas was the main cause of reddish downpours in other regions of the world as well.

A famous case was the one in Kerala (India) in 2001: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala :

The Kerala red rain phenomenon was a blood rain (red rain) event that occurred from 25 July to 23 September 2001, when heavy downpours of red-coloured rain fell sporadically on the southern Indian state of Kerala, staining clothes pink.[1] Yellow, green, and black rain was also reported.[2][3][4] Coloured rain was also reported in Kerala in 1896 and several times since,[5] most recently in June 2012.[6][7]

Following a light microscopy examination, it was initially thought that the rains were coloured by fallout from a hypothetical meteor burst,[5] but a study commissioned by the Government of India concluded that the rains had been coloured by airborne spores from locally prolific terrestrial algae.[5]

It was not until early 2006 that the coloured rains of Kerala gained widespread attention when the popular media reported that Godfrey Louis and Santhosh Kumar of the Mahatma Gandhi University in Kottayam proposed a controversial argument that the coloured particles were extraterrestrial cells.[3][8][9] Red rains were also reported from 15 November 2012 to 27 December 2012 occasionally in eastern and north-central provinces of Sri Lanka,[10] where scientists from the Sri Lanka Medical Research Institute (MRI) are investigating to ascertain their cause.[11][12][13]

From source: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_rain :

While most ancient authors, such as Hesiod and Pliny, tended to ascribe the rain to the acts of gods, Cicero rejected the idea and instead suggested that the red rain may be caused by "ex aliqua contagion terrena", "from some earthly contagion".[1] The two cases in the Iliad are explained by Heraclitus as simply red-coloured rain rather than literally blood; however, a later scholiast (a critical or explanatory commentator) suggests that it was precipitation of blood which had evaporated earlier:[19] after a battle, blood would flow into nearby water courses, evaporate, and then fall as rain. This explanation demonstrating unfamiliarity with the properties of distillation was echoed by Eustathius of Thessalonica, a 12th-century archbishop.[1]

Tatlock, in a study of some medieval cases of blood rain, notes that the medieval cases of blood rain "agree well" with their classical counterparts. Although there are variables – for example the rain sometimes lasted only for a short period, while on other occasions it can last days – they were widely considered to be bad omens, and warnings of events to come. He also suggests that the phenomenon may only be recorded in small areas because the colour of the rain would not always be noticed, and may only be obvious against pale backgrounds. In the classical period, events such as a shower of blood was seen a demonstration of godly power; in the medieval period, Christians were less inclined to attribute the phenomenon to such reasons, although followers of nature-religions were happy to do so.[14]

In the 19th century, there was a trend towards examining events such as rains of blood more scientifically; Ehrenberg conducted experiments at the Berlin Academy, attempting to recreate "blood rain" using dust mixed with water. He concluded that blood rain was caused by water mixing with a reddish dust mostly composed of animal and vegetable matter. He was unclear on the origin of the dust, stating that it lacked the characteristics of African dust which might have indicated it came from the Sahara Desert. Instead, he suggested that the dust came from dried swamps where it was picked up by violent winds and would later fall as rain.[20] This explanation has persisted, and the Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology (1992) attributes the colour of blood rain to the presence of dust containing iron oxide.[21]

Other reasons for blood rain aside from dust are sometimes given. Schove and Peng-Yoke have suggested that the phenomenon may be connected to sunspots and aurorae.[22][23] When red rain fell in Kerala, dust was the suspected cause. Alternative theories included dust from a meteorite and extraterrestrial cells in the water.[24] These were later dismissed. The particles causing the red colour in Kerala were "morphologically similar" to algae and fungal spores.[25]

Hope this helps a bit. :)

@voyageur: Thanks for bringing up Flavius Josephus in this context. I'll remember this when I get to the Jewish Antiquities later on.

I'm trying to understand the changes made to the entries for the year 460 AD (entry n.365) and have a couple of questions and suggestions. You all let me know if they are off...

I noticed that the new modifications are based on The Ecclesiastical History of Evagrius Scholasticus which is an earlier source and/or from that time.

Now, the entries for 460 AD were modified to specify the following:

About the same time, when the Scythian war was gathering against the Easter, Romans, an earthquake visited Thrace, the Hellespont, Ionia, and the islands called Cyclades, so severe as to cause a universal overthrow in Cnidus and Cos. Priscus also records the occurrence of excessive rains about Constantinople and Bithynia, which descended like torrents for three or four days; when hills were swept down to the plains, and villages carried away by the deluge: islands also were formed in like Boane, not far from Nicomedia, by the masses of rubbish brought down by the waters. This evil, however, was subsequent to the former. The Ecclesiastical History of Evagrius Scholasticus

Evagrius dates these events to the time of the Scythian war, i.e. conflict between the empire and the Ostrogoths in 459-60.

Marcellinus Comes, op cit, p21 :

"The town of Cyzicus was shaken by an earthquake and since its surrounding walls had crumbled it mourned for itseld and its people for a long time"

Okay, so these texts were merged with the following one I was working with:

Michael the Syrian, Book IX – Chapter IV, p142

457-474

"At the time of Leon, there was in Constantinople the biggest fire ever. The fire was from the sea to the sea. The emperor fled beyond Mar Mâma and stayed there for 6 months …

During the reign of Leon, ash fell like rain from the sky, and agglutinated on the ground and on the roofs, as thick as of a span. ...At that time, Cyzicus was knocked down by an earthquake: it was completely destroyed and many of its inhabitants perished. A large number of towns and villages also fell, however they were not as destroyed as Cyzicus. "

We have now 1 entry for earthquake: Cyzicus, Thrace, Hellespont, Ionia, Cyclades,Cnidus, Cos. I think I should create one entry per each city? I don't know if it all happened on the same day, if that is the case, it does seem like a hell of an earthquake with so many cities affected all throughout the region. Considering the fire falling from the sky, could this be a Tunguska-like event?

There used to be Mass Death for Cyzicus, but now it is gone. So I'll create that again.

The flood event has "Heavy rains for 4 days,islands formed by masses of rubbish" as key words. I think "sheets of rain" as key words could work? I can also create a separate event for Landslide under Geology to cover the "hills were swept down to the plains, and villages carried away by the deluge".

The events for the fire are still there (entry n. 363), but that entry changed to reflect The Chronicle of John Bishop of Nikiu which is an earlier author:

And after the death of Marcian, Leo the elder became emperor. And in the days of his rule the city of Antioch was polluted owing to the earthquake that befell it. And lightning rained from heaven on Constantinople instead of rain. And it rose high, upon the roofs. And all the people were terrified and offered up prayers and supplications to God; for that lightning had been burning fire; but God out of His love for man had extinguished the fire and made it lightning.

I noticed it is now under Plasma Event with "Conflagration, lightning,burning fire" as keywords. But I think it should be "Falling Fire" (?).

The following entries are from the same time period (entry, user, category, year, source, location, keywords):

449 zadig Environment Atmospheric Prodigies Y457 M5 D28 Hydatius The Chronicle of Hydatius and the Consularia Constantinopolitana Spain Sun light diminished, Spain

149 zadig Geology Earthquake Y457 M9 D14 Anonymous Chronicle to the Year 724 - 640AD Antioch 36.2014 36.1618 Fearful earthquake

731 zadig Geology Earthquake Y460 M6 D19 Anonymous Chronicle to the Year 724 - 640AD Antioch Earth quaked and shuddered

355 gaby Geology Earthquake Y457 Michael the Syrian Chronique de Michel le Syrien Tripoli Shook the whole world

From entry 731 there is this under "other notes":

Hydatius dates an earthquake in 462 in Antiochia in Isauria, probably the same event : (The Chronicle of Hydatius and the Consularia Constantinopolitana, p. 115)

"That day was a Friday. Greater Antioch in Isauria, paying no heed to the warnings for its salvation, was swallowed up when the earth split open, and all that remained above the ground was the tops of the towers."

I can create Sinkhole under Geology for this one.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Gaby said:
I hope this is not too confusing.

Well, my head is stuck in Gregory of Tours but what you are saying all sounds reasonable. Fix it up as you suggest and we'll sort it later.

As I said, when there is a very significant event with clues pointing to possible "cosmic events", we need to try to make that spike in our data.

If you will look at the events of 585 that I was working on yesterday, you'll see what I have done with it and how. I'm still working around that time.

It would probably be best, at this point, that entries from different chronicles should be kept separate UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that an entry is exactly the same as another, and you are just adding another witness. If there are enough variations in the event to raise any question, make a separate entry! We'll be able to comb the data later after we have a visual graph of what is there.

I think we should also keep in mind that a LOT, LOT of stuff WAS going on, so it wasn't unusual to have similar things year after year.

The real clue about doublets, triplets, etc, is when there are specific details and phrases in the accounts. Read the paper I attached further back about the earthquake of 365 and Ammianus' Account for how these things are determined in a methodical way.

Even now, after 50 years of reading history, I'm patiently slogging through this data from Gregory of Tours. The more you know, the more you can see, so some of ya'll, as newbies to this sort of thing, need to take care making assumptions that events are the same.

Perhaps it would be helpful to add a justification for the choice of category if it seems iffy. Just put it in the right hand text field. I started doing this yesterday myself just to make notes to remind myself why I'm thinking what I am thinking at the time.

Another book that I'd like to get a copy of possibly from a library:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicle-Hydatius-Consularia-Constantinopolitana/dp/0198147872/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1393823666&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=The+Chronicle+of+Hydatius+and+the+Consularia+Constantinopolitana

Laura said:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicle-Hydatius-Consularia-Constantinopolitana/dp/0198147872/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1393823666&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=The+Chronicle+of+Hydatius+and+the+Consularia+Constantinopolitana

The uni library has it. I have just requested it, and will be able to pick it up on Wednesday.

Oxajil said:
Laura said:

The uni library has it. I have just requested it, and will be able to pick it up on Wednesday.

Yeah, my uni library has it as well. Also, I noticed that there's an e-document on Amazon (not kindle) for $5.95:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicle-Hydatius-Consularia-Constantinopolitana/dp/B000920K68/

Zadius Sky said:
Oxajil said:
Laura said:

Yeah, my uni library has it as well. Also, I noticed that there's an e-document on Amazon (not kindle) for $5.95:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicle-Hydatius-Consularia-Constantinopolitana/dp/B000920K68/

That's not the chronicle but rather, as it says on the amazon page "An article from: Canadian Journal of History".

Laura said:
That's not the chronicle but rather, as it says on the amazon page "An article from: Canadian Journal of History".

Ah, sorry about that (just woke up).

I searched a bit on the Net and found Hydatius: A Late Roman Chronicler in Post-Roman Spain: An Historiographical Study (Volume 1) by Richard W. Burgess. There is at the end of this volume a Table 4, page 269 (pdf 275), shows a list of portents. It's an interesting read. It's attached.

Oxajil said:
Laura said:

Excellent.

In other news, the Kronk book "Cometography Vol. 1" arrived today. That's the only one we are interested in, I think, since it goes up to 1799, inclusive.

Anyway, I think this is going to be an interesting tool for date pinning on many items. I think we may find that things are as I have suggested: lose a few years here, gain a few there, and by the time you add it all up, you have a couple hundred years in the total chronology that do not belong there.

First thing I looked for in Kronk's book was a comet around 585 which is when I have placed the ocean impact that inundated much of Italy based on clues in GoT and PtD. There isn't anything from the Cometography that would fit. Well, of course, things can come in fast and impact without being seen in advance, but as we've noticed, these things are generally accompanied by visual comet sightings sometime in the vicinity of the events.

However, there IS a comet for the year 588. This is interesting because Hodgkin dates the Italy deluge to 587. I moved it back to 585 following Gregory of Tours. Kronk has a comet in 588 that could be the one.

So, we read about this comet:

The Chinese texts Sui shu (636) and T'ung chih (1150)report this "sparkling star" was seen on 588 November 22. The object is said to have appeared at Chhien-Niu (Capricorn). The date and location indicate the comet was in the evening sky, so the likely UT was November 22.4. His Tse-Tsun (1958) included this in his list of novae, but said it was near slpha Aquilae.

The "sparkling star" caught my eye. Just "hmmm.... something that sparkles could be doing electrical arcing, disintegrating, etc."

Now, last night, before I went to bed, I was re-reading Gregory of Tours to get all my chapter and paragraph numbers set up so I could go back and put them all in. I was finding additional items that I had not considered important before, but now take on a bit more significance, so I was putting sticky-notes on the pages so I could find them for entry in the database.

Anyway, in book X.24, GoT, there is this really bizarre story that didn't mean much to me years ago when I read it, but now it takes on an all new meaning:

In the sixteenth year of King Childebert's reign (i.e. 591)and the thirtieth year of King Guntram's, a Bishop called Simon travelled to Tours from foreign parts. He gave us news of the overthrow of Antioch and described how he himself had been led away captive from Armenia into Persia. The King of the Persians had invaded Armenia, sacking the country, burning down the churches and, as I have said, taking this Bishop away into captivity with his flock. It was on this occasion that they had tried to burn down the church of the Forty-eight Saints and Martyrs, who met their death in that region, as I have described in my Book of Miracles. They piled the church high with heaps of wood soaked in pitch and pigs' fat, and then set blazing torches to it. Despite all their efforts this inflammable material would not catch fire, and when they saw this miracle performed by God they left the church. One of his fellow prelates came to hear of how Bishop Simon had been led off into captivity, and he sent his men with ransom-money to the King of the Persians. The King accepted the ransom, unchained Simon and released him from slavery. The Bishop then left that region and travelled to Gaul, where he sought help from the faithful. That was how he came to tell me his story, just as I have set it down above.

{Now, this next passage must be the "news of the overthrow of Antioch"}

In Antioch there lived a man who had a wife and children, and who was much given to acts of charity. In all his life no day passed, from the time when he first had some property of his own, that is, without his inviting a poor man to eat at his table. One day he searched the whole city until nightfall without finding a single needy person whom he could invite to share his meal. As darkness began to fall he went outside the city gate, and there he saw a man in a white robe who was standing with two other men. As he looked at him he was filled with awe, just like Lot in the tale of long ago. 'My lord,' he said, 'you seem to be a stranger here. Would you care to come to my humble home and have a meal with me and then retire to bed to rest? In the morning you can go on your way, wherever you wish." The oldest of the three men, who held a cloth in his hand, gave him the following answer: 'Were you not able, then, O man of God, even with the help of Simeon, to save this city from destruction?' He raised his hand and waved the cloth which he was holding over one half of the town. Immediately all the buildings came crashing to the ground and nothing at all was left standing. Old men and young children were crushed to death, hundreds were killed with their wives, men and women together. When he saw this the man was so dazed by the presence of the stranger and by the din made by the houses as they collapsed that he fell to the ground as if he were dead. The stranger raised the hand in which he held the cloth and was about to wave it over the other half of the town, but he was stopped by the two companions who stood at his side. They begged him with terrible oaths to spare this second half from destruction. His fury abated and he stayed his hand. He picked up the man who had fallen to the ground and said to him: 'Go home. You have no reason to fear. Your sons are safe and so is your wife; none of them has perished, and your household, too, is unharmed. You have been saved by your habit of praying regularly and by your daily acts of charity to the poor.' As he said this, he and his companions disappeared from the man's sight and they were never seen again. The man went back into the town. Half of it he found completely destroyed and overthrown, together with the inhabitants and their flocks. Later on many of them were taken out of the ruins dead, those few who were still alive being badly hurt. The promises of the Angel of the Lord, if I may call him that, were fulfilled. When the man reached his own home he found everybody there unharmed; but they were mourning the death of their neighbours, who had met their end in all the houses round about. The right hand of the Lord had protected him and all his household in the midst of the unrighteous and he was saved from the period of death, just as they tell of Lot in Sodom long ago.

Now, aside from the allusions to the story of the destruction of Sodom which are furiously interesting in this context, the following stood out: Later on many of them were taken out of the ruins dead, those few who were still alive being badly hurt.

Now, here is the account of the 526 Antioch Earthquake in my "Chronicle of the Fall" only I've added in the footnotes here in curly brackets.

THE GREAT ANTIOCH EARTHQUAKE
29 May 526 AD:

It was a warm, clear afternoon in the capital. The bustle of metropolitan commerce and tourism filled the streets. Small sailing vessels dotted the sheltered waters within sight of the government buildings, riding on a soft southerly breeze. The Sun sparkled on the gentle swells and wakes, lending a luminous glow to the poppies and tulips nodding in the parks along the water's edge. All was in order.

But suddenly, the sky brightened as if with a second, more brilliant Sun. A second set of shadows appeared; at first long and faint, they shortened and sharpened rapidly. A strange hissing, humming sound seemed to come from everywhere at once. Thousands craned their necks and looked upwards, searching the sky for the new Sun. Above them a tremendous white fireball blossomed, like the unfolding of a vast paper flower, but now blindingly bright. For several seconds the fierce fireball dominated the sky, shaming the Sun. The sky burned white-hot, then slowly faded through yellow and orange to a glowering copper-red. The awful hissing ceased. The onlookers, blinded by the flash, burned by its searing heat, covered their eyes and cringed in terror. Occupants of offices and apartments rushed to their windows, searching the sky for the source of the brilliant flare that had lit their rooms. A great blanket of turbulent, coppery cloud filled half the sky overhead. For a dozen heartbeats the city was awestruck, numbed and silent.

Then, without warning, a tremendous blast smote the city, knocking pedestrians to the ground. Shuttered doors and windows blew out; fences, walls, and roofs groaned and cracked. A shock wave raced across the city and its waterways, knocking sailboats flat in the water. A hot, sulfurous wind like an open door into hell, the breath of a cosmic iron-maker's furnace, pressed downward from the sky, filled with the endless reverberation of invisible landslides. Then the hot breath slowed and paused; the normal breeze resumed with renewed vigor, and cool air blew across the city from the south. The sky overhead now faded to dark gray, then to a portentous black. A turbulent black cloud like a rumpled sheet seemed to descend from heaven. Fine black dust began to fall, slowly, gently, suspended and swirled by the breeze. For an hour or more the black dust fell, until, dissipated and dispersed by the breeze, the cloud faded from view.
Many thought it was the end of the world...

The above passage is a reconstruction of events in Antioch, AD 526, described in the book, RAIN OF IRON AND ICE (1996), by John S. Lewis who is Professor of Planetary Sciences at the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona. His idea is that, very often, small impactors exploding in the atmosphere have devastating local effects similar to that of a multi-megaton nuclear airburst and may be recorded in history as a particularly strange earthquake. Contemporary accounts indicate strongly that this was no normal earthquake.

...those caught in the earth beneath the buildings were incinerated and sparks of fire appeared out of the air and burned everyone they struck like lightning. The surface of the earth boiled and foundations of buildings were struck by thunderbolts thrown up by the earthquakes and were burned to ashes by fire... it was a tremendous and incredible marvel with fire belching out rain, rain falling from tremendous furnaces, flames dissolving into showers ... as a result Antioch became desolate ... in this terror up to 250,000 people perished. (John Malalas quoted by Jeffreys, E., Jeffreys, M. and Scott, R. 1986, "The Chronicle of John Malalas", Byzantina Australiensia, Australian Assoc. Byzantine Studies 4, Melbourne. Emphases, mine.)

In Constantinople, Justin I reportedly reacted to the news of the earthquake by removing his diadem and crimson chlamys (short cloak). He entered the church without these symbols of his rank and publicly lamented the destruction of Antioch. He arranged for ambassadors to be sent to the city with sufficient money for both immediate relief and to start Antioch's reconstruction. Many of the buildings erected after the earthquake were said to have been destroyed by another major earthquake in November 528, although there were far fewer casualties.

{Lewis gives an incorrect date and even moves the earthquake to Constantinople evidencing some confusion on his part. Nevertheless, his ideas appear to be reasonable. There was a great earthquake in Constantinople in 557, but it occurred during the night of December 14. It is said it almost completely destroyed the city, but the death toll was considerably less than the Antioch event 31 years earlier.}

...There is some confusion in dating the Great Antioch Earthquake. NOAA has it as 29 May 525, but some sources (Wikipedia, for one) list it as occurring in 526. NOAA includes the following notation:

Display listing of nearby significant earthquakes: September 525 to May 29, 526, Very disastrous followed by five shocks, intensity IX.; May 29, 526 or 525, Lat. 36.25–Long: 36.10, Antakya, Samandag, 250,000 -300,000 deaths, intensity IX, magnitude 7.

I’m going to try for consistency here and put all accounts of this event in the year 525 in accordance with the scientific convention.

Procopius’ account of this event begins with a reference to a previous “portent” which is curious in itself, occurring during the reign of Anastasius, the emperor just prior to Justin who took the purple in 518:

Thus, then, the portent which had come to the citizens of Antioch in the reign of Anastasius reached this final fulfilment for them. For at that time a violent wind suddenly fell upon the suburb of Daphne, and some of the cypresses which were there of extraordinary height were overturned from the extremities of their roots and fell to the earth--trees which the law forbade absolutely to be cut down. [526 A.D.] Accordingly, a little later, when Justinus was ruling over the Romans, the place was visited by an exceedingly violent earthquake, which shook down the whole city and straightway brought to the ground the most and the finest of the buildings, and it is said that at that time three hundred thousand of the population of Antioch perished. And finally in this capture the whole city, as has been said, was destroyed. Such, then, was the calamity which befell the men of Antioch. ~(Procopius, HISTORY OF THE WARS of Justinian, Book II, XIV)

And a year afterwards, in the year four, Antioch was overthrown by a great earthquake of unwonted severity, and countless myriads of people perished in it. For it was summer time and, while they were feasting, and their food was in their mouth, their houses were thrown down upon them…(Pseudo-Zachariah (PZ))

In the seventh year of his [Justin’s] reign, in the month of May, Antioch the Great suffered its fifth calamity from the wrath of God… Great was the fear of God that occurred then, in that those caught in the earth beneath the buildings were incinerated and sparks of fire appeared out of the air and burned anyone they struck like lightning.

The surface of the earth boiled and foundations of buildings were struck by thunderbolts thrown up by the earthquakes and were burned to ashes by fire, so that even those who fled were met by flames. It was a tremendous and incredible marvel with fire belching out rain, rain falling from tremendous furnaces, flame dissolving into showers, and showers kindling like flames consumed even those in the earth who were crying out.

As a result Antioch became desolate, for nothing remained apart from some buildings beside the mountain. No holy chapel nor monastery nor any other holy place remained which had not been torn apart. Everything had been utterly destroyed. The great church of Antioch, which had been built by the emperor Constantine the Great, (420) stood for seven days after this tremendous threat from God, when everything else had collapsed to the ground during the wrath of God. Then it too was overcome by fire and razed to the ground. Likewise other houses which had not collapsed through the divine calamity were destroyed to their foundations by fire. In this terror up to 250,000 people perished. …

During the wrath of god it became clear what a great number of citizens there was. Many of those who had been buried by earth survived to be brought up alive but then died. … Other mysteries of God’s love for man were also revealed. For pregnant women who had been buried for 20 or even 30 days were brought up from the rubble in good health. Many, who gave birth underground beneath the rubble, were brought up unharmed with their babies and survived together with the children to whom they had given birth. Equally, other children were brought out alive after 30 days. Many even more tremendous things occurred.

On the third day after the collapse the Holy Cross appeared in the sky in the clouds above the northern district of the city, and all who saw it stayed weeping and praying for an hour. After the collapse of the city many other earthquakes occurred during the next 18 months. Buildings collapsed too at Seleukeia and at Daphne over a distance of some 20 miles. (John Malalas)

… there was a sudden fire all over Antioch. Most of the city suddenly caught fire, as if as a result of God’s wrath, after He had given warning by the sign about the collapse and the destruction which threatened. Thus in every locality in the city the fire kept breaking out all of a sudden for six months. A multitude of souls perished in it as well as many of its buildings. The people did not succeed in learning whence the fire came, as it started to burn from the highest – fifth and sixth- storeys and, thus kindled, it devastated all the people in its vicinity. (Zuqnin)

There is a second account of the Antioch fire/earthquake in the Zuqnin Chronicle separated by about 20 pages of descriptions of religious persecution and the flood of Edessa. It varies enough to include it.

In the seventh year of Justin… Antioch the Great was also overthrown, (this being) its fifth collapse, at the seventh hour of the day. (It was) a terrible and distressing collapse, impossible for anyone to recount. Such was the violent and harsh disaster, which was (sent) from heaven, that fire set alight and consumed those who had escaped from the terrible vehemence of the cataclysm of the earthquake and the collapse: the sparks flew and set fire to everything on which they settled. The earth itself from below, from within the soil, surged, seethed and burned everything which was there. Thus the foundations as well, together with all the storeys above them, were lifted up, heaved up and down and burst apart, collapsed, fell and burned with fire. Those who had saved themselves (so far) and (now) tried to escape were met by fire, which set them alight, and burnt them up. They burned like wood and the tongues of flame blazed terribly and grievously by (God’s) mighty wrath. And now, like rain from the sky, flames rained down and so the whole city blazed like a burning furnace, while it collapsed completely, fell, was ruined and burnt with fire, except only for a few houses which remained at the foot of the mountain above (the city), although even these were damaged and ready to fall. Every day these too collapsed (one by one), setting fire to those which (still remained. (In the end) no house or church or building of any kind remained, not even the garden fences, which had not be torn asunder or damaged, or had not disintegrated and fallen. The rest burned, crumbled away and became like an extended putrefaction. And underground the earth seethed and humid dust rose up. The odour of a stinking sea and (something) like watery moisture appeared, so that also sea drops rose with the bubbling dust.

Still the Great Church, which had been built by Constantine the Victorious, (and) about which it was said that there was nothing comparable in the whole Roman empire, remained, cracked, yet still standing. (But) suddenly on the seventh day it too caught fire from top to bottom, and it fell and crumbled away on the ground. So (it was with) other churches as well. Although they were saved from the collapse in the earthquake, in the end suddenly they burnt with fire by (God’s) great wrath and were razed to the foundations. (Many) souls perished and were destroyed in this city of Antioch, which became like “the wine press of wrath” to all its inhabitants, as John of Antioch wrote. {John Malalas} He (also) wrote this about (the city): how those who were (still) alive could count those who had died and were disinterred and (otherwise) found. They amounted to 250,000. …

On the third day after the collapse which was Sunday, a cross of light appeared in the sky in the western quarter. All who remained alive saw (it) and were moved and cried Kyrie eleison. They kept watching it for about one hour and then it was covered by clouds, while everybody was astounded. Thereafter God’s mercy and grace were shown, in that 30 and 40 days after (the earthquake) people were found (still) alive – men, women, youths and children – amidst all that burning and flaming fire, so that all the people were astonished and praised the abundant mercy of God, who does not withhold His grace from His creation. (Yet), there were earthquakes all these days and nights for one year and a half, constantly, all the time. …

Seleucia in Syria and Daphne, which is above Antioch, were overthrown and destroyed for 20 miles in length and breadth, and were also (a cause of) terror to those who saw it, (althought) not (because of) fire but only because of the earthquake. (Zuqnin)

The first account of this earthquake included in Michael the Syrian’s chronicle is rather short and all he mentions is fire falling on the city:

When Saint Severus left, the fire fell on Antioch and burnt most of the city. For 6 months the fire caught all around the city and no one knew how it had started and how to stop it. (MtS, Book IX – Chapter XII – Page 169)

The second account is longer and one wonders about the “7th year of its impiety” since the earthquake is said, in the previous sources, to have occurred in the 7th year of the reign of Justin. But here, it is said to have happened in the 9th year of the reign of Justin. However, the description is exactly that of the 525 earthquake. MtS makes the remark that he is copying the account from John of Ephesus:

Like Paul the Jew, Euphrosius persecuted the faithful. The justice (of God) couldn’t bear it. It shook the city with an earthquake and turned it upside down, the wrath (of God) reached the city on the 7th year of its impiety.

In year 9 of Justinian (Justin) which is year 840 for the Greeks, Antioch was overturned a 5th time.

This scourge was so violent that the fire engulfed the bodies of the ones who had escaped the earthquake and it burnt them; sparks were flying around and burnt everything they touched. The ground itself was boiling under the ash, it burnt everything it encountered.
The foundations themselves and the building were thrown into the air, were lifted, were going up and down, and fell back broken. When the ones who had escaped it wanted to flee, the fire engulfed them and burnt them like dry wood. The flames poured down from the sky like rain, and the whole city was a furnace. Except a few houses full of cracks and ready to collapse that still stood on the flank of the mountain, not one single house or church was left, not even a wall that was not torn apart. From underground boiled and came up a humid dust. We could also smell a marine rot, as if it was invaded by the flows of the sea. The great church built by Constantine the great, that was said to be unrivalled in the whole Roman Empire was still standing, cracked; the 7th day the fire attacked it and it collapsed. The same happened to the other churches

According to John’s writings, who was in Antioch, those who remained alive discovered 250000 people who died of suffocation, because it was time for festivities, and there were many foreigners in the city, all of whom were suffocated.

The third day of the disaster, a luminous cross appeared in the northern region. Those who had survived were afraid, and cried: “Kyrie eleison”. They saw the cross for about an hour then it disappeared in a cloud.

After thirty days, were found in the ground men, women, children still alive: it's a miracle due to the goodness of God.

The earthquake did not cease night or day for a year and a half. [sic]

Séleucia in Syria, Daphne, which is next to Antioch, and all their surroundings up to twenty miles long and wide, were completely overturned by this earthquake… At this time, Dyrrhachion, metropolitan city of the [new] province suddenly collapsed. –Also, Corinth, metropolis of Hellas, and Ana Zarba in Cilicia fell in the earthquake. (Mts, Book IX – Chapter XVI – Page 181-182, 183)

Michael includes the following as occurring much later, in the year 574, though it may belong with the 525 Antioch earthquake. There are some problems with Antioch earthquakes because, according to Zuqnin Chronicle, Antioch was destroyed for a 6th time during the reign of Justinian in 539-40 which turns out to be actually dated to 528! {Witakowski’s note is that the correct date of this earthquake is 29 Nov. 528 as confirmed by other sources. Zuqnin has it placed in the year 539-40.}In any event, the following snip gives one an idea of how things were being interpreted in those days: the Christians were blaming the Pagans and the Pagans were blaming the Christians. What is shocking here is that it was Christians (crypto-Pagans?) being accused of performing human sacrifice.

It was even said that he [Anatolius] testified against Gregorius, the patriarch of Antioch and against Eulogius who went from there to Alexandria, accusing them to have sacrificed a child to Daphne. When they sacrificed the child, the whole city was shaken by an earthquake. (MtS, Book X – Chapter XII – page 319)

Now, do you see from reading the above accounts why Gregory of Tours' funny remark included in his tale of Antioch struck me? Not only the allusion to the destruction of Sodom, but also:

Later on many of them were taken out of the ruins dead, those few who were still alive being badly hurt.

Which would be the "Reader's Digest" version of:

Many of those who had been buried by earth survived to be brought up alive but then died. … Other mysteries of God’s love for man were also revealed. For pregnant women who had been buried for 20 or even 30 days were brought up from the rubble in good health. Many, who gave birth underground beneath the rubble, were brought up unharmed with their babies and survived together with the children to whom they had given birth. Equally, other children were brought out alive after 30 days.

and...

God’s mercy and grace were shown, in that 30 and 40 days after (the earthquake) people were found (still) alive – men, women, youths and children – amidst all that burning and flaming fire, so that all the people were astonished

and...

After thirty days, were found in the ground men, women, children still alive: it's a miracle due to the goodness of God.

Anyway, this story from Gregory of Tours was on my mind last night when I went to bed, so it was interesting that Cometography arrived in the mail this morning. But, as I said, I was first looking for anything that might coincide with my 585 event that I was inputting yesterday: result was the "sparkling star" of 588 assumed to be a nova.

I then reverted in my thinking to the GoT problem and thought I'd have a look-see if there was anything in 526 AD around the time of this terrible Earthquake/Fire from Heaven event that was obviously a Tunguska type event.

There isn't one recorded for that year.

There is, however, a comet recorded for 518/519/520 in Kronk:

Chinese texts report a "broom star" visible in this year which was to have been as bright as a flame and which was seen in the east. There is, however, a contrdiction in the date. The Wei shu (572) says the comet was seen on 520 October 7, while the Sui shu (636) says the comet appeared on October 1. The comet was probably in the morning sky.

The Italian text "Anonymous Valesianus (527) report an object seen during 519 or 520. It is described as a "fearful star" and as "a star like a little torch." The object remained visible for 15 days and exhibited a tail pointing westward.

Several Byzantine texts mention this comet. John Malalas' "Chronicle (565) says, while discussing the beginning of the reign of emperor Justin I, "At the beginning of his reign there arose in the East a tremendous star, named a comet which sent out a beam pointing downwards. People called it Bearded, and they were afraid." Malalas said the emperor's reign began in 518. The Byzantine text Chronicon Paschale (628) says that in 519 "there rose on the far side in the east a fearsome star, called a comet, which had a beam issuing downwards; some called it bearded; and men were afraid." An almost identical statement placed in the same year also appears in the Byzantine text Chronographia (813).

The next comet in Kronk is Halley's in 530, (seen in August and September), under which we find the following also:

The Byzantine text Chronicle (565), written by John Malalas, says, "During this reign {of emperor Justinian I, which began in 527} there appeared a tremendous great star in the western region, sending a white beam upwards; its surface emitted flashes of lightning. Some people called it the Firebrand. It continued shining for 20 days, and there were droughts and murders during riots in every city and many other events full of ill omen." This account was dated as 530 and was followed by an event that occurred at the end of September, so it may have happened in September or earlier. The Byzantine text Chronographia (813), written by Theophanes the Confessor, notes "a very large and fearful comet" was observed in the west for three weeks, with a tail extending to the zenith. The comet is also mentioned by Georgius Cedrenus in Synopsis Istorion (1100).

This comet was at first believed to have been an early apparition of the Great Comet of 1680 because of suggestions made by Isaac Newton and Edmond Halley. A. G. Pingre (1783) somewhat supported this, but only after showing that some dates and positions needed to be altered to make the identity possible. The first person to link this comet to 1P/Halley was J. R. Hing (1850) after he found that the orbit of this famous comet could fit the Chinese observations if a perihelion date in early November were assumed. Nevertheless he noted, "Yet this inference is necessarily open to considerable doubt, and I am very far from insisting upon it." Although the link and Hind's perihelion date seemed confirmed when P. H. Cowell and A. C. D. Crommelin (1908) computed an orbit with a perihelion date of November 15, later, more precise, calculations by D. K. Yeomans and Kiang (1981), Werner Landgraf (1986), and G. Sitarski (1988) established the actual perihelion date as about September 27.

Just to round things off, let's look at the alleged 528 earthquake:

…on the second of the month of January, at the eighth hour… an earthquake took place and Laodicea was razed to its foundations from the Antioch Gate as far as the Jewish quarter and the sea. The left side, however, where the Church of the Blessed Mother of God stood, did not fall. According to reckoning, seven and a half thousand souls had perished in (the quake). Many Jews but only a few Christians were found alive, although wounded with heavy blow: 274 Jews and 4 Christians. All the churches however by God’s help did not fall and were not (even) shaken, neither did fire overwhelm the ruins. (Zuqnin)

This sounds somewhat similar to Gregory's tale in that it says that half the city was destroyed and his remark Later on many of them were taken out of the ruins dead, those few who were still alive being badly hurt. only Laodicea is not Antioch. But the "Antioch Gate" is mentioned.

…there was a severe earthquake and Dyrrachium was overthrown by it. But who is able to report the terrible chastisements which the sins of the people bring about all the time, and the collapse of cities? Thus it also happened to that city of Dyrrachium, the metropolis of the new province called Epirus, from which the emperor Anastasius had come, as it suddenly trembled and came to be ruined in the severe earthquake. Just at that time it collapsed and buried its inhabitants. (Zuqnin)

Two years after the fifth collapse of Antioch it was overthrown again, for the sixth (time), on the 29th of November… On that day there was a heavy earthquake for one hour. At the end of the quake there was heard (a sound) like a great, powerful and protracted thunder coming from the sky, while from the earth rose a sound of great terror, powerful and frightful, as from a bellowing bull. The earth trembled and shook because of the terror of this horrible sound. And all the buildings which had been built in (Antioch) since its(previous) collapse were overthrown and razed to the ground as well as the walls and the gates of the city, especially the Great Church, not to mention other churches and martyria and the rest of the buildings, even the small ones, which had escaped (being destroyed) in the previous earthquake. All the villages around (Antioch) were overthrown too, those which had been rebuilt previously, as far as 10 miles from (Antioch). Seleucia and Daphne fell in the fifth collapse but in this, the sixth, did not fall nor were they damaged.

(Most of) the citizens who had been dug out died, apart from those who were (just) wounded, of whom some got (their limbs) broken and others were struck with various injuries. (But) God’s mercy and grace appeared and did not allow fire to kindle and burn (the city) as in the previous collapse. Most of those, however, who were alive, fled to other cities and left Antioch deserted and desolate. On the mountain above the city others made for themselves shelters of rugs, straw and nets and thus lived in them in the tribulations of winter.

Immediately after the earthquake in which Antioch was shaken and collapsed a harsh winter came. It had snowed three cubits deep and those who stayed in the city made lamenting supplications in great pain, walking barefoot in the snow… (Zuqnin)

As you can see, it is all a bramble patch.

Zadius Sky said:
Laura said:

Ah, sorry about that (just woke up).

I searched a bit on the Net and found Hydatius: A Late Roman Chronicler in Post-Roman Spain: An Historiographical Study (Volume 1) by Richard W. Burgess. There is at the end of this volume a Table 4, page 269 (pdf 275), shows a list of portents. It's an interesting read. It's attached.

Excellent!

From the "Historical Earthquakes of Syria" we find, for 588:

588 Antioch: VI-VII. Aftershocks.
Sources
– Evagrius Scholasticus [this author was an
eyewitness because the earthquake took place
during his marriage]: There was an earthquake
with a big sound at Antioch. Many buildings
fell down. A part of the holy church fell down.
The dome was inclined in north direction and
fell down by the following shocks. Same happened
for most of the district of Ostracina and
Brisia. The buildings near the church of the
Deipara Virgin fell down, except the Central
Portico. The towers in the Kampos fell down
while other buildings survived. A large number
of persons were killed. No fire.

– John of Nikiu [no indication of the year can be
found, except the name of the Emperor Maurice]:
An earthquake destroyed Antioch. Many
streets at the west and on the island were destroyed.
Men were killed.

– Agapius of Menbij: An earthquake at Antioch.
The big churches were destroyed as well as
most of the city wall, trade square and houses.

– Nicephorus Callistus: Same as mentioned in
Evagrius Scholasticus.

Parametric catalogues
– Plassard and Kogoj (1981): 589 October 21 or
31, I = III, an earthquake caused destruction in
Antioch with many victims (Perrey).

– Poirier and Taher (1980): 588 October 31, I0=
= IX (MMS), Antioch destroyed with 60000
victims.

Seismological compilations
– Guidoboni et al. (1994): 587-588, Antioch VIII≤
I≤IX. In the year of 588 a disaster earthquake
in Antioch causing thousands of deaths 60000),
razing most buildings to the ground, accompanied
by many aftershocks (Evagrius).
Antioch suffered a great earthquake, many roads in the
east were destroyed, as well as islands and countless
victims (John of Nikiu).

It was a violent earthquake in 587-588 destroying most of Antioch
and killing the inhabitants (Ibn Batriq).

It was in the winter of 587 (Michael the Syrian).

It was in 588-589 (Chronicle of 1234; Barhebraeus).

– Sieberg (1932): 587 September 30, a destructive
earthquake in Antioch. It was said that it
caused 60000 victims.

In addition to the above discussion about the 526 and 528 (or 530) events discussed above, the "Tunguska-like" ablation of Antioch, there is this from the "Historical Earthquakes of Syria":

〈034〉 526 May 20-29 Antioch: VIII; Dafneh:
VII; Seluecea: VII. Aftershocks. Liquefaction
at Antioch. Fire in Antioch.

Sources
– Malalas (1831): Alarge catastrophe occurred in
Antioch. Citizens were buried under the debris.
The houses, located only near the mountain, survived.
The rest of the buildings were completely
destroyed. Fire following the earthquake destroyed
the Big Church (so was named the ancient
church of Antioch) and the remaining houses.
There were 250000 casualties because of holidays.
Shocks lasted 18 months. Some buildings
in Selucea and Dafneh fell down.

– John of Ephesus: In Antioch, the disaster was
on the 7th hour, fire from the land and sky. City
wall, houses and churches were destroyed.
There was a fire following the earthquake. The
Big Church was burned after 7 days and de-
stroyed completely. There were 255000 casualties
... as Malalas.

– Procopius of Caesarea: A severe earthquake
occurred in Antioch where most of the buildings
and the most beautiful ones fell down.
There were 300000 casualties.

– Evagrius Scholasticus: An earthquake, followed
by a fire, occurred in Antioch.

– Chronicon Edessenum (Urfa): A great earthquake
ruined Antioch.

– Zachariah of Mitylene: A severe earthquake
in Antioch. Houses fell down over their inhabitants.

– Giovanni Lido: The earthquake split Antioch
and Selucea, no damage to the desert place between
the mountain and the city where runs the
river of Orontes.

– Marcellinus Comes: A severe earthquake destroyed
Antioch. The fire, following the earthquake,
increased by the wind.

– John of Nikiu: An earthquake and a fire were in
Antioch. Houses were completely destroyed as
well as a house located on the nearby hill. Many
churches were destroyed or divided in two parts
from the bottom to the top. The Big Church was
destroyed. The casualties were 250000. Towns
of Dafneh and Selucea at 20 miles from Antioch
were destroyed.

– Theophanes: A large part of Antioch was destroyed
by the earthquake. The survived citizens
were killed by the fire.

– Chronicle of 819: A severe earthquake. Antioch
was destroyed. The casualties were 255000.

– Georgius Monachus: An earthquake and a fire
were in Antioch. There were many casualties.

– Leo Grammaticus: Most of Antioch was destroyed
by the earthquake and fire.

– Georgius Cedrenus: There was an earthquake,
followed by 6 days fire. There were many thousands
of casualties.

– Michael Glykas: The earthquake produced a
big opening. The fire killed the survivors.

– Chronicle of 1234: An earthquake and a fire
occurred in Antioch, destroying all buildings
and churches.

– Girgis Bar Hebraeus: An earthquake occurred
in Antioch. The casualties were 255000. Shocks
continued for one year and six months.

Parametric catalogue

– Plassard and Kogoj (1981): 526 May 29, in
Lebanon I=V, Antioch was destroyed for the
fifth time with a large number of victims
(Michael the Syrian).

– Poirier and Taher (1980): 526 May mid-day
20-29, I0= IX-X (MMS), very severe earthquake
in Antioch.

– Guidoboni et al. (1994): 526 May mid-day 20-
29, Antioch I = X, a disastrous earthquake was at
Antioch, causing a great fire and thousands of
deaths. There were fire and liquefaction resulted
by the earthquake at Antioch, and everything had
been destroyed, 250000 people perished (Malalas).

Much of Antioch collapsed and vast numbers
of people were killed (The Chronicle of
Zacharia of Mitylene).

Dafneh was struck by a
violent earthquake which reduced the whole city
to ruins and three hundred thousand Antioch perished
(Procopius of Caesarea).

– Sieberg (1932): In 526, a strong earthquake, followed
by a fire, destroyed Antioch with 250000
deaths (?). In Seleucea, there was damage.

〈035〉 528 November 29 Antioch: VII-VIII;
Lattakia: VI-VII.

Sources

– Malalas (1831): in Antioch, duration one
hour, terrible rumbling, all buildings which
were rebuilt fell down, as well as the city wall
and some churches. Damage to other cities near
Antioch, with 5000 casualties. In the same year,
Laodicia had the first earthquake, where its half
was destroyed with 7500 casualties, the synagogue
fell down but the church did not.

– John of Ephesus: A terrible earthquake with
rumbling, ... as Malalas as well as the city gate
fell down. The Big Church fell down and all the
surviving houses and churches from the previous
earthquake fell down except few numbers
of buildings, villages in the vicinity 10 miles
were destroyed. Seleucea and Dafneh did not
affect. Surviving citizens of Antioch ran away
to the open. In the 529 Laodicia was completely
destroyed from the gate of Antioch to the
Ghetto, but the left zone east of the church of S.
Mother of God did not fall down, there were
7500 casualties without a fire.

– Evagrius Scholasticus: The earthquake split
Antioch.

– Theophanes: A strong earthquake lasted for one
hour with terrible sound such as a bull’s sound,
all the constructions, the city wall and old constructions
which survived from the previous
earthquake fell down, there were 4870 casualties.

– Georgius Monachus: One hour duration, sound,
the area 5 miles around Antioch fell down.

– Leo Grammaticus: An earthquake at Antioch.

– Georgius Cedrenus: A large earthquake lasted
for one-hour duration, there was a terrible
sound, all constructions were destroyed with
4870 buried casualties, emigration of survivors.

– Chronicle of 1234: There was a severe earthquake,
followed by a sound from the sky like
thunder and a sound from the earth like a bull’s
sound. City walls, churches and the surviving
constructions from the previous earthquake
were destroyed as well as the vicinity villages,
there were 2740 casualties.

– Nicephorus Callistus: A severe earthquake at
Antioch.

– Saadeh (1984): 529 January 2, a violent earthquake
occurred in Lattakia, causing destruction
of its large part and killing 7500 people.

Parametric catalogues

– Plassard and Kogoj (1981): 529 November
29, in Lebanon I = IV, Antioch was destroyed for
the sixth time (Cedrenus; Michael the Syrian).

– Poirier and Taher (1980): 528 November 29,
I0=X-XI (MMS), Antioch, a mountain fell into
the Euphrates at Quludhya, the Euphrates shifted
its bed.

– Ben-Menahem (1979): 528 November 29,
Ml= 6.9, destruction of Antioch. Damage in
Jerusalem and Damascus. Felt in Egypt, Turkey,
Armenia and Mesopotamia (Ergin et al.; Plassard
and Kogoj; Sieberg).

– Guidoboni et al. (1994): 528 November 28, Antioch
and Lattakia I=IX, an earthquake struck
Antioch destroying both the new buildings put up
after the previous one (526), and those old buildings
which had survived it, victims number was
few thousands. Antioch suffered from an earthquake
collapsing the new buildings, walls and
some of churches, from one side and killing up to
5000 lives (Malalas).

Laodicea suffered its first
earthquake disaster by destroying its half and
7500 deaths (Malalas).

Antioch was subjected to
a violent earthquake causing all the buildings and
walls to collapse (Theophanes).

– Sieberg (1932): In 528 November, a destructive
earthquake was in Antioch, Dafneh and
Betelma (?). There was damage in Seuleucea,
Loadicea and Pompejopolis (?). In the latter,
surface rupture appeared. There were 4870 victims.

Back
Top Bottom