Ideas for moving

Galaxia2002 said:

I hope this help you

Thanks for the input.

Well I'm quite aware of all the negatives you mentioned, and a couple others that I have found out in my research. But those things are not a major factor for me if I wanted to move. Every country has its positives and its negatives. The major important factor for me, is the people.

You mentioned crime, and that's always something that comes up about south America. But let me ask you, is it that unreasonable that a starving population will resort to crime and violence?

One of the biggest things that has impressed me about Venezuela if true is, that the almost near elimination of illiteracy in the past few years. That's huge in my opinion.

Either way though, after much thought, I am looking at the move from another perspective. I am currently looking at options where I can be more committed to the work and the Church. I think the best position would be any that will enhance my ability to support the group.

So for now I'm looking at more practical options of a local variety.

Oxajil said:
Maybe you can also research Andorra? It seems to be a nice place..

Andorra's pretty high up in the Pyrenees, not the best place if growing food all year round is your goal

JEEP said:
Dear Neema:

How about the happiest nation on earth?

_http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/editorials/stories/2010/01/09/kris08.ART_ART_01-09-10_A10_S3G7V8I.html said:
Educational focus pleases Costa Ricans
Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:55 AM
By Nicholas D. Kristof

Hmmm. You think it's a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it's also arguably the happiest nation on Earth.

Yeah, I lived there. I guess it can be considered "happy." People are nice and agreeable, but "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. Nature is beautiful. You should not be afraid of earthquakes though, nor its consequences... 7.4 in the scale of Richter was the strongest earthquake I felt. I'm not afraid of earthquakes, but that one sure scared me. It is pretty much sitting in the tectonic plates of Cocos and Caribbean.

It is a very small country, I saw people that I knew everywhere I went. A Spanish saying comes to mind as well, "small town, big hell."

What about Finland? Or The Netherlands? I believe we have some Finnish and Dutch members. I had recently ran across a report suggesting that Finnish kids have once again been recognized as the 'brightest' in the world(?). while another story suggests Dutch children may be the happiest.

Not sure if the water is flouride-free, or if it's all a social/cultural programming issue, or even if it's true as reported, but as this deals directly with people, I thought I'd mention it, just in case it's interesting.

Links:
Finnish kids are the brightest in the world ?
_http://www.oecd.org/document/60/0,3343,en_2649_201185_39700732_1_1_1_1,00.html

Why are Dutch children so happy?
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6360517.stm

Also in the Netherlands, it is not allowed to advertise ADHD treatments, because it’s not recognized as existing! At least someone is requesting to be shown objective evidence before the wholesale drugging of kids.

Netherlands panel rejects ADHD diagnosis as a mental illness.
_http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_36_18/ai_92589532/

I really hate posting this after you, Bud, but when Finland was mentioned, I did think of this:

http://www.finlandforthought.net/2007/09/19/finland-no-longer-suicide-capital-of-the-world/ said:
Finland no longer suicide capital of the world

Finnish politicians were baffled for decades as to why raising taxes hasn’t lowered the suicide rates. Then it dawned on them, maybe education was the answer…

Finland has finally shed a bleak record as one of the world’s suicide capitals after the number of people taking their own lives in this Nordic state has dropped by 40 percent in the past 15 years. Nowadays around 18 out of 100,000 people commit suicide each year in Finland, about the same level as in France and Austria. In 1990, the number was 30 per 100,000.

The decline is attributed largely to better treatment for depression, but even experts cannot really explain why the drop has been so dramatic, admits psychiatrist Jouko Loennqvist, the head of the mental health department of Finland’s National Public Health Institute. “Depression is more often properly recognised, prevented and treated. We have had special projects and campaigns about depression, which is now better recognised and treated. Psychological support and social support are nowadays in better condition,” he said.

Finland’s dire reputation as a nation of suicidals dates back to the 25-year period from 1965 to 1990 when Finland experienced an economic and urban boom. During that period, the suicide rate tripled. By 1991, Finland was the world leader in teen suicides, and among the top three in overall suicides alongside New Zealand and Iceland. Faced with the grim figures, Finnish authorities dramatically increased funding to improve mental health and since 1991 the amount of available psychiatric help has doubled.

[...]Experts meanwhile dismiss the widespread belief that Finland’s dark winters, where the sun doesn’t rise at all in the north for several months, play a role in the suicide rate. “There is a link (between darkness and suicide) but it’s not an important explanation,” Loennqvist said, noting that suicides tend to peak each year at the end of spring when the sun shines late into the day. And experts point out that Norway, located at the same latitude, for a long time had a suicide rate that was half that of Finland.

It's good they no longer have the infamous title.

My thinking was that that Neema was looking for a country where it's dominant ethnicity is NOT Caucasian. Thus, you have his choices of Spain, Venezuela, etc...

neema said:

You mentioned crime, and that's always something that comes up about south America. But let me ask you, is it that unreasonable that a starving population will resort to crime and violence?

Of course, that's one of the reasons but is a complex problem, there are also: cultural programming by the american culture (tv programs full of violence), educative crisis, low salary, and impunity that is total here. Remenber also that this could be another indirect way to control a population either by goverment or high density SAS.
I associate organized crime rather to pshychopathy than starvation.

neema said:
One of the biggest things that has impressed me about Venezuela if true is, that the almost near elimination of illiteracy in the past few years. That's huge in my opinion.

Yes, there have been good social initiatives. I can only imagine how exciting it must be to discover a new world through reading, this is really a great achievement worth applauding.

neema said:
Either way though, after much thought, I am looking at the move from another perspective. I am currently looking at options where I can be more committed to the work and the Church. I think the best position would be any that will enhance my ability to support the group.

So for now I'm looking at more practical options of a local variety.

Well, at the beginning it could be complicated by I hope with the time we have churches everywhere!.

Neema: As Perceval pointed out Andorra has a climate and an altitude that might be a bit rugged, especially for food and comfort. The cites mentioned below Tarbes, or Pau tend lay on a flatter surface more sea level . Milder climate and not as extrem as say Lourdes, which is at the foot, of the Pyrenees mountain range (on the french side) which can be a bit more cooler in the winter. But it lacks the hustle and bustle of Tarbes and has more of a mellow life style and ambiance. People also (Loudes) seem very at ease and always friendly. Just food forethought. Economy
The Pyrenees are rich in timber and in pastures, and the many streams are utilized by hydroelectric power stations. Talc and zinc are mined there. The population, partly of Basque and Bearnese stock, engages mostly in stock raising and agriculture. On the French side are the best-known resorts, such as Pau and Tarbes, famed both for the beauty of their scenery and for their mineral waters. Lourdes, one of the world's chief places of pilgrimage, is also there. On the Atlantic shore, below the W Pyrenees, are the fashionable resorts of Biarritz and Saint-Jean-de-Luz (France) and San Sebastián (Spain).

Hope your both doing well and wish you both Luck on your efforts on this subject!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ibdPylwpnA&feature=related

Hi Neema,
I can't understand why you would forsake all of Canada. It's not like that everywhere.

My brother lives in Vancouver, so I can empathize about the cost of living. As well, it's not the laid back place it used to be, at least not in Vancouver.

But I have a friend who is a cross dresser (male dressing like a very unattractive woman) who moved to Nelson, BC and loves it there. If she can get along there, any one can.

I'm in our nation's capital, Ottawa and can say it's very cosmopolitan here. We are an hour west of Montreal and five hours east of Toronto, two of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.

Cost of living is good and we have a high literacy rate and two universities.

Ottawa boasts the highest number of residents with a post-secondary education in Canada, a bilingual rate of 44 per cent, and more engineers, scientists, and PhDs per capita than any other city in the country.

I have met quite a few Iranians here, as well as in Toronto and Montreal. In fact, immigrants make up 21.1 per cent of the total population.

Ottawa's diverse ethnicity brings many languages to the city's soundscape.

Mother Tongue Number % of Pop.
English 485,830 64.9
French 115,220 15.4
Arabic 20,835 2.8
Chinese 15,095 2.0
Italian 10,625 1.4
Spanish 7,625 1.0
German 6,670 0.9
Polish 5,985 0.8
Vietnamese 5,095 0.7
Cantonese 4,960 0.7
(Source: Statistics Canada, 2001 Census)

And although we get our share of winter, we get sufficient hot air drifting from Parliament Hill.

I lived for ten years in a rural community an hour West of here and found land prices still reasonable and many farmers involved in organics.
I find Ottawa's size perfect. Toronto and Montreal were just too big for me. The city once was surrounded by other communities but the amalgamations of the 90s combined all of them together into a large municipality.

But you can drive only a few minutes and you are out of the city and into farm land.

We have four bridges over to Gatineau, Quebec, so we are right at the eastern edge of the province. The City of Gatineau is the gateway to the Gatineau Hills, only a few minutes from Ottawa, where you will find great hiking, cross country skiing in the winter and many lakes.

Finally, let's not forget our relatively free health care system in Canada either.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Regards,
Gonzo

Heimdallr said:
My thinking was that that Neema was looking for a country where it's dominant ethnicity is NOT Caucasian. Thus, you have his choices of Spain, Venezuela, etc...

Just a note. I think most Spanish people are considered and consider themselves Caucasian.

JEEP said:
Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it's also arguably the happiest nation on Earth.

San Jose and Puntarenas are ghost cities. Better go northwards, to Nicaragua. A much 'happier' country nowadays.

And Bud, forget about The Netherlands. It's an epic mess overhere.

Neema, I know how you feel about moving from a place where you truly do not feel like you belong to. I have wanted to move from Calgary for the past 10 years and this year I have finally made up my mind. I have been living in Calgary for the past 28 years and I am also an immigrant. Calgary used to be a great place to live in, but since we had the Olympics the city started going downhill. It is extremely expensive here and I feel that I truly do not belong here. Most people that I meet are quite greedy. I am college educated and I am making $12.50 an hour. My rent is about $900 amonth depending how much gas I consume during the winter months. It is a modern city but the mentality here is quite greedy. Most young people who move here do truly love it here, but then they must be the ones who belong here, not me. The average age of the city is 36 years.

Gonzo was right, Canada is a huge country and there are many smaller places that are more welcoming than the big cities. I am considering Kelowna. My first choice was Ontario, but that hope was quickly extinquished. Though, if I had an unlimited amout of cash I would choose Europe. I absolutely love Austria. The food, people, culture, their high standards of living etc. What a great place to live in.

Good luck, but you should still look at other places within Canada.

I've never been to Venezuela but Barcelona is beautiful. I've often dreamed of living in Europe though I would probli go with Madrid if I were to choose Spain. Bolivia is interesting and I could see a life there, but for some reason feel the need to be out of the Americasa and somewhere in Europe. What about Prague? I've had friends research and move to Slovakia and though I would not choose that the whole eastern european feel is good for me.

France and Germany will be other areas of interest and research based on American Grim article.

thanks for starting this topic Neema.

Herakles said:
I've never been to Venezuela but Barcelona is beautiful. I've often dreamed of living in Europe though I would probli go with Madrid if I were to choose Spain. Bolivia is interesting and I could see a life there, but for some reason feel the need to be out of the Americasa and somewhere in Europe. What about Prague? I've had friends research and move to Slovakia and though I would not choose that the whole eastern european feel is good for me.

France and Germany will be other areas of interest and research based on American Grim article.

Herakles,
I am from Slovakia actually. I would not recommend anyone to move there, it's quite a depressing place. But Praha (Prague) is amazing. But before anyone moves there they should visit the place first. The Czech language is extremely hard to learn. Even though most people understand English in Slovakia and Czech Republic people cannot expect to accomodate those who move there and speak English only. It's just common courtesy to learn the language where ever people move.

There are a lot of foreigners living in both countries especially in Praha. What I noticed is that both countries changed considerably since the communist regime collapsed and capitalism has brought with it the same narcissistic values that western countries are known for. Also the value of property increased beyond common sense and most young people are in such debts they will never be able to pay them off in their lifetime. What can I say about the food? It's fantastic. I grew up on it. People also like to have more fun and love to socialize after work a lot.

Next time you make it to Europe you should visit Praha. But keep on driving through Bratislava and dont bother stopping unless you make a turn to Devin, where I grew up. Devin is a small village, with a ruined castle, located 8 km from Bratislava. Now, we are talking about paradise.

Back
Top Bottom