Ideas for moving

Thanks Mona,

Prague would be amazing to see. Interesting you are from Slovak Republic. Those who moved were looking for castle to renovate into hotel and run bed and breakfast. so what about Tajov or Banka Bystrica? These are like Devin more than Bratislava? Either way I don't plan to make SR my choice.

I am surprised to hear capitalism started to infiltrate Czech Republic and eastern europe in general.

'Even though most people understand English in Slovakia and Czech Republic people cannot expect to accomodate those who move there and speak English only. It's just common courtesy to learn the language where ever people move.'

that is very true.

Mona said:
Herakles said:
I've never been to Venezuela but Barcelona is beautiful. I've often dreamed of living in Europe though I would probli go with Madrid if I were to choose Spain. Bolivia is interesting and I could see a life there, but for some reason feel the need to be out of the Americasa and somewhere in Europe. What about Prague? I've had friends research and move to Slovakia and though I would not choose that the whole eastern european feel is good for me.

France and Germany will be other areas of interest and research based on American Grim article.

Herakles,
I am from Slovakia actually. I would not recommend anyone to move there, it's quite a depressing place. But Praha (Prague) is amazing. But before anyone moves there they should visit the place first. The Czech language is extremely hard to learn. Even though most people understand English in Slovakia and Czech Republic people cannot expect to accomodate those who move there and speak English only. It's just common courtesy to learn the language where ever people move.

There are a lot of foreigners living in both countries especially in Praha. What I noticed is that both countries changed considerably since the communist regime collapsed and capitalism has brought with it the same narcissistic values that western countries are known for. Also the value of property increased beyond common sense and most young people are in such debts they will never be able to pay them off in their lifetime. What can I say about the food? It's fantastic. I grew up on it. People also like to have more fun and love to socialize after work a lot.

Next time you make it to Europe you should visit Praha. But keep on driving through Bratislava and dont bother stopping unless you make a turn to Devin, where I grew up. Devin is a small village, with a ruined castle, located 8 km from Bratislava. Now, we are talking about paradise.

Hi Herakles,
Banska Bystrica is also beautiful, actually I should not be that negative about SLovakia because despite its size it is such a breath taking country as long as you don't end up wasting time in Bratislava. There is something about that city that just makes me depressed. Most of the city is run down, the downtown area has been impoved, there are a lot of beggers and mentally people just wondering around. It is just sad to see because during the communist regime such mysery did not exist.

Vysoke Tatry or the High Tatras are out of this world. Here is this tiny country and just as you approach Poprad you come to this amazing sight of these tiny, compared to the Canadian rockies, but extremely high mountains. The nature is wow, and there are so many hiking trails and 'chatas' or cottages in the middle of nowhere where you can stop for a fantastic meal or to sleep over and continue your journey the next day. You can never run out of hiking trails there ever. Then there are the 'Nizke Tatry' or low Tatras with again more amazing hiking trails. Oh man, I would go there right now if I could just to go hiking for days; it would feel so great to be lost in the wild for a week or so. No need to worry about grizly bears, they only have small brown bears and wild pigs. Ok, maybe you should watch out for wild pigs, the bears are OK. I hope :scared:.

So, there I said. Pass by Bratislava and enjoy the rest of the beautiful country. Oh, don't forget to visit Devin.

Back
Top Bottom