Interstellar

Unexpected, yes, and take the biochemical reactions out of the equation of your 'emotions' and what is left? What are those evoked emotions if they can be so easily turned on and off? This is why it is said that 3dSTS experience here is 100x more vivid. The late 2d body is full of this programming, thus our 'emotions'... or at least our bodies reactions, hard to say they are ours, depending upon how one defines themself of course.

As for being in a hurry on that first planet, that is after getting there and one would hope that these scientists and their machines, which they program to do most of the work anyway, would have it all figured out and be ready to 'hit the ground running', but it seems they weren't prepared at all. What good is going there if the analysis is bad, as the data was just a repeating set (which is another classic tool of the trade). One thought would be to send a probe first for initial analysis etc and then when results are available, to send them back to the crew which could go into stasis to save that valuable time component. Either way, I enjoyed the film, but the script is full of this nonsense, the acting saved it, perhaps the directing, not sure who is responsible for that script, if Nolan, then perhaps all of his films have this shared defect? Not that it hurts sales of course, most people in the audience don't pay attention to such things anyway, as the science can really bog down the flow if not presented properly, which can be hard to do, and why cliches are used so often in all entertainment formats. Myths works better when not bogged down by reality. ;) thus the current favorite, black holes. I wonder if they aren't allowed to get too close to mentioning anything other than dead end streets, something Neo in the first Matrix film was warned about.... ''you've been down that road before..." It's a nice film, just too bad the script is allowed to breathe, but then if it was, it wouldn't probably have been made... can't let the light escape that basement closet in Omelas. ;)

Puck said:
The movie made me cry, and for the first time in my life I actually wanted children. That, in and of itself, really blew my mind. The emotions evoked were unexpected... an incredible understatement. Like I didn't understand the bond between parent and child, not viscerally, emotionally. I had a completely logical understanding but something about the film tinkered with my insides, jumbled up the pieces and let them reassort based on the pattern in the film. I think I get it now, which is incredibly rewarding and also immensely painful.

Strange to have such a reaction to a movie, or perhaps not so.

Oh, man, I'm right there with you, although I do have children. I think those feelings stem from how the movie makes one feel about time and how one perceives existing within it. It seems both fleeting and infinite all at once and I think the film taps into the fear of loss and the most primal fear a parent can feel is that of losing a child.

Mr.Cyan said:
dugdeep said:
Well put, AI.

I saw the movie a couple of days ago and also really enjoyed it. I was surprised at the number of concepts from the C's that were illustrated on the big screen. I was thinking about the idea of whether or not the filmmakers were some how keyed in to what the C's have been disseminating, but I think it may be more subtle than that. I think it just represents the current thinking in science, specifically the characteristics of higher densities. It may be that this channel, and the work done here, has brought more truth into the collective unconscious, for lack of a better term, and the filmmakers are simply tuned in to the latest research.

That said, I thought the scene where McConaughey's character entered the black hole was truly jaw-dropping. Probably the best 3D beings like us can conceptualize 4D, and to see it illustrated on film was really inspiring! I also really liked the concept that love is a very real force in the universe and that, at our level, we can't really have much more than a glimpse of it. I'd never thought about it in the way that the film portrayed it and it has sent my brain in many different directions as a result. That's the most I can ask for in a movie. Big thumbs up!

Fully agreed dugdeep :)

I too was suprised at the number of concepts from C's depicted in this film. Significant moment for me was the communication between Cooper's future self and the present through the tesseract - where the moment/place of communication was the at the library through books dropping. This symbolised to me the important of Knowledge another key concept from the C's

I agree. I watched the dvd last night. Apart from the importance of knowledge, the powerful universal theme of Love came through very strongly for me. It really moved me on many different levels, and I felt quite teary watching the scenes between Cooper and his daughter, Murphy in particular. Real Love is so powerful, and sometimes the sacrifices we have to make embody and give value to this.

In relation to the 'time travel' theme and 'ghostly' incidents, it reminded me in a sense of what the Cs said in respect of remembering where we were 5 years ago. Looking back at my journal at that time, prior to finding Laura, the Forum, and SOTT - I am now on a very different path or branch, and perhaps the 'signs' that I followed then were seeded by my 'future Self'?

Visually and even auditory, some of the scenes were quite stunning and moving too.

If I had to encapsulate this film into one sentence, it would be a quote from the Cs, 'US in the future': "Love is light is knowledge."

I recently found out that the ending was changed.

Here's an article on Nolan's original ending:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/interstellars-original-ending-actually-made-sense-and-i-1692640631

Jonathan Nolan's much more straight-forward ending "had the Einstien-Rosen bridge [colloquially, a wormhole] collapse when Cooper tries to send the data back."

So no tesseract (that was Christopher's idea), no time manipulation, and no return home. Nolan didn't elaborate on this point, but we might speculate that the original end to the movie was as dark and unforgiving as space.

I sound a bit bleak but I liked that ending better than the "Hollywood happy ending".

I didn't like that he returned. It would have been more interesting if he did "die" and change form like Dave from the sequel of 2001 A Space Oddysey , 2010 when he appears changing forms to the crew to leave Jupiter before a big event.

With black holes the only thing that we know that goes faster than light (and might escape black holes) is INFORMATION! Quantum theory entanglement faster than light communication proves this. If only...

Also, Nolan is also good at leaving unknowns at the end, like Inception, but with Interstellar he didn't leave much of a mystery if at all.

I encountered an interesting video essay about Interstellar, and how it is fundamentally about experts failing those they trust. The channel looks like it has quite a few thought-provoking videos. There's more than a couple of allusions, covert and overt, to the Covid-19 crisis as well. This looks like it may be shaping up to be a very painful lesson for humanity at this juncture.

What goes wrong in Interstellar is that, time and again, experts fail the people who trust them. Those failures have consequences, and those consequences are borne, not just by the scientists who make them, but by the people who rely on the experts. Experts may have proficient knowledge in a field, and even dazzling levels of intelligence, but they are still fallible people. And even the broader institution of science which tries to minimize the errors of individuals through community accountability can’t stop the mistakes of individuals or even a group of experts from sometimes slipping through the cracks, resulting in disasters like the Space Shuttle Challenger or Chernobyl. These were all simple incompetencies that had devastating consequences. Incompetence aside, Interstellar reminds us that experts are also moral creatures. The fact that a person has prolific expertise in a field does not negate the possibility of them lying to us. Even if they are held up as bastions of authority, it is quite easy for experts to lie, And in fact, I was surprised to discover just how often scientists lie, especially with regard to their research. The documentation of this is abundant. You can find plenty of articles on the subject online. Wikipedia has a growing list of major scientific fraud. Frankly It seems to be a major problem that is mostly swept under the rug. And we should all be deeply troubled.

I encountered an interesting video essay about Interstellar, and how it is fundamentally about experts failing those they trust. The channel looks like it has quite a few thought-provoking videos. There's more than a couple of allusions, covert and overt, to the Covid-19 crisis as well. This looks like it may be shaping up to be a very painful lesson for humanity at this juncture.

Wow! That was a good listen!

Brilliant essay. And it has everything to do with what is transpiring now. Everything now is about 'experts' and science, wall to wall in the media. Yes they will fail us, but from some other perspective, they will be doing exactly what they intend.

Trick is to not be taken in and taken down by said experts. Sadly many will be.

Back
Top Bottom