Interstellar

Mal7 said:
Another good thing about it was they managed to make a sci-fi movie without excessive use of violence, fights, explosions etc.

There was not even one gun within the whole movie - and yet, the stakes could not have been higher. The only violence in the movie was caused by just one person - plus, the natural disasters, of course.

I saw the movie and thought it was entertaining, and read through the comments here.

The "top" leaders lied, killed, and manipulated in order to pursue what they wanted, no matter if the whole world died, so that part wasn't sci-fi.

I noticed the background music was very loud at some scenes, inappropriately loud that it was no longer background but foreground, that it made me think that the music was purposefully competing with the visual to hammer the senses.

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed the story, but was kind of disappointed with the ending and it's simplification of what "5d" (or whatever that was) is. Interesting thoughts but it didn't feel deep enough, unlike other sci-fi films that make you think or spin your head :) I felt the same about Lucy, which also seemed to have an ending that was "stunted" IMO.

I feel like 2001: A Space Odyssey's ending was much deeper.

axj said:
Mal7 said:
Another good thing about it was they managed to make a sci-fi movie without excessive use of violence, fights, explosions etc.

There was not even one gun within the whole movie - and yet, the stakes could not have been higher. The only violence in the movie was caused by just one person - plus, the natural disasters, of course.

I really enjoyed this, its hard to see any movie these days without guns or excessive violence.

Divide By Zero said:
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed the story, but was kind of disappointed with the ending and it's simplification of what "5d" (or whatever that was) is. Interesting thoughts but it didn't feel deep enough, unlike other sci-fi films that make you think or spin your head :) I felt the same about Lucy, which also seemed to have an ending that was "stunted" IMO.

I feel like 2001: A Space Odyssey's ending was much deeper.

I agree, the ending did seem a little bit of a letdown after a 3 hour watch, but the scene where cooper meets his daughter was really intense, I thought that added a lot to the dynamic of the father daughter love point. Not so sure about him flying off into the void though, seemed pointless but what else was he going to do?

Rise said:
I agree, the ending did seem a little bit of a letdown after a 3 hour watch, but the scene where cooper meets his daughter was really intense, I thought that added a lot to the dynamic of the father daughter love point. Not so sure about him flying off into the void though, seemed pointless but what else was he going to do?

Well, he flew off to join the female astronaut on the new world. I thought that was a very relateable decision, though I wondered why no-one else joined her there in the meantime, considering that humanity now had those huge outposts right near the wormhole.

Thanks for recommending this movie, I really enjoyed it.

I don't wanna repeat what others have written before me, the only thing that wasn't mentioned here and what struck me was that the "Endevour" had to spin to reach its destinations. Truly a great cinematographic effect, but also interesting seen with the knowledge that spinning and gravity is somehow connected.

First I thought that the twice or three times recited poem was by Shakespeare, but it's by Dylan Thomas:

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Could be read as a wake up call to not let "the dark" encroach upon you without resistance.

Since Masonic elements were mentioned, my husband mentioned that the hands of the watch (very important scene) formed the Masonic compass. Fwiw.

Afterthought. In "Star Trek. The Next Generation" whoever was responsible at least made the effort to assemble an international diversified team. Now this is not deemed necessary any more, it seems ... :halo:

M.T.

SPOILER ALERT!

Odyssey said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds highly watchable. Found this quote on why so many people dig this movie.

_http://www.activistpost.com/2014/11/interstellar-positive-message-for.html

Interstellar’s message is resonating with millions because it creates a tribal sense of connection and a longing to carry the fire of humanity into the future. The film is a rejection of the command and control systems being imposed on humanity and a beckoning to break the chains on our pioneering spirit.

The artificial habitat that we live in has seduced us into a sate of complacency. We aren’t exercising the strength that we have as human beings. Our ancestors strove for knowledge and beauty amidst great hardship. Now we are convinced that we are at the end of the road; We don’t need to strive for anything else. We don’t have a reason to rebel. It’s time to break the chains.

Your impact on this critical time period can be as simple as making changes in your personal life, or as big as speaking out on important issues and spreading ideas for change. In a world of rising tyranny and corruption, you can carry the fire of humanity into the future.

The elite of society have told us that humanity is a virus. Global warming is our fault. We are having too many babies. Being a man is inherently evil. Creativity and free thought is stamped out in our schools. Empty shells of human beings are worshiped on television.

Can a generation rise out of this and reach for the stars? Can we cut through the programming and believe in ourselves again?
This sums it up quite well and the similarities to the concepts presented by the C's are amazing. I watched this movie twice, first in German and a second time in English, so that I had a chance to understand the heavy Texan dialect of the protagonist :P To me it was an emotional experience throughout the movie. I didn't know that Mr. Nolan was capable of telling such an emotional story, since I found his other movies kind of intellectual and cold. So I was quite biased in the beginning. But after so many positive responses I gave it a chance and WOW! The comparison to Kubrick's 2001 is quite obvious, especially the final part, when the protagonist transits into a higher plane of existence. But unlike 2001 the concept of a higher plane that transcendants 3D-reality seemed not that cryptic and intellectual but more relatable, more accessible.

It sounds weird when you try to describe it (Don't read further if you haven't watched the movie!) When the space craft passes through the event horizon of the black hole, there is infinite blackness, followed by a stream of sand trickling down to the craft, which reminded me of the very first scene, when the camera pans along the book shelf, while dust trickles down on that small model of a shuttle craft. And after the pilot ejects out into the unknown he suddenly enters a giant kaleidoscope of book shelf related memories. What an amazing imagery! It's like a symbolic transition to his daughters living room, the focal point of the journey, that becomes the template for this infinite 3d-fractal of a book shelf kaleidoscope, that multiplies itself into infinite memory fragments, that actually happen in real time and simultaneously. It's an interface that allows limited access to different events in different times. It's hard to put into words. I haven't seen anything like it. It's quite psychedelic actually. I wonder how it effects people who haven't thought about such concepts yet. :wow: I also wonder about the impact Kubrick's 2001 must have had on the audience back then.

Your post was the best marketing for the film I've seen or heard. Nice review and teaser combined. :)

spoilers!

axj said:
Rise said:

Well, he flew off to join the female astronaut on the new world. I thought that was a very relateable decision, though I wondered why no-one else joined her there in the meantime, considering that humanity now had those huge outposts right near the wormhole.

Nolan said in an interview that the wormhole was 'closed' when Cooper leaves at the end of the movie... so he literally is flying off into the void.

Haven't seen it, so my question is how similar is the scene's intent bet father/daughter in this film with that in The Time Travelor's Wife?

gdpetti said:
Haven't seen it, so my question is how similar is the scene's intent bet father/daughter in this film with that in The Time Travelor's Wife?
I haven't seen "The Time traveler's wife" but read the story on wiki. Interstellar is different. Time travel thing in interstellar is a small component at the end, almost linear in depiction.

Great, great movie. The visualizations of higher dimensional beings's space is wonderful. In my opinion, the story theme with father and daughter connection through time and space was more like the movie Contact.
And of course, the ultimate STS character is named Mann

So we finally made it to see the movie. I felt that judging by the posts made here, this was one movie that My SO and I would want to see on the big screen. And it was; a beautiful film full of imagery, relationships, and universal ideas.

! SPOILER ALERT !

I have a couple of moments in the film that I would like to comment on.

The first is when it came down to decide which planet to choose. The female doctor was conflicted because on one hand she had all the empirical data suggesting that Dr Mann’s planet was habitable; He sent his beacon, and he was “the best of humanity” as she claimed. On the other hand, ‘Edward’s’ planet was the destination of the man she was once in love with. Now, the immediate reaction to this dilemma is to go with the objective/empirical data, because of course the woman is crazy, right? And it is possibly just wishful thinking, and/or emotional reasoning. But then the female doctor begins her monologue on love, and I thought this was very important. I am paraphrasing here (very badly I’m sure), but it was something along the lines that we (humans) did not invent love, that it is an essential part of the universe, and has most likely been around since the dawn of the universe (or is infinite). And with this, her love for him had to mean something in terms of the pivotal choice about to be made (strings, the inter-connectivity of love, and what-not). She understood that the men would have difficulty wrapping their decision making around this (OSIT), but I felt she proposed an intriguing argument. And I remember thinking at the time that something bad would happen on Dr Mann’s planet, and of course it did. GUYS!! The take home here is that we should listen to our women more, no matter how crazy they seem to our subjective little male minds. Part of the Knights and Ladies theme we have here…Or maybe this is just for me, and I am picking up on this because I need to listen more and take into account the woman’s point of view. :-[

The other part of the movie I would like to discuss is the Tesseract scene. Wow. I thought that was as good of a visualization of a tesseract as could be done on film - as far as how a 3D individual would experience a 4D like landscape. I liked the way he figured out (by accident) how to manipulate the physical world, by using his emotions (i.e. anger, pain, and sadness) for leaving his daughter, to knock books off the shelf, and that he was Murph’s (his daughter's) ‘ghost’. Then ‘plucking’ on the gravitational strings to manipulate the dust and the second hand of the watch in order to communicate was a cool effect.

It has been said before on this thread, but the idea that gravity and love are interconnected through the diminsions/densities was pretty unique for Hollywood and sci-fi, and I believe it to be the most powerful message taken from the film. This certainly does correlate with some of the same things the C’s have been saying.

I highly recommend this movie; it will not disappoint. Even those that are not sci-fi fans will be entertained and will take something away from it, IMO.

Edit: Clarity

CNS said:
The take home here is that we should listen to our women more, no matter how crazy they seem to our subjective little male minds.
Things that seem crazy may be warning signs that should not be disregarded. Instead, think about them and investigate what they might mean.

Spoiler alert:

After reading CNS's post on the movie I had a conundrum that came to mind.

If he was the ghost of his daughter, the same ghost that said to stay, was it him that set up the dirt/sand to give the location of the secret mission that lead him in the first place? It probably was the "higher power" that set up the wormhole in the first place, but I couldn't help but think about it because it wasn't certain.

Back
Top Bottom