Interstellar

gdpetti said:
As for this film, which I haven't seen, can anyone tell me who the STS side of the equation is represented by? Or is it another 'global warming' scenario to blame man for everything? Or is it just ignored as the 'sins of the past' in which case we become our ancestors again like that example Laura referred to with the African tribes in which I believe was a discussion on tonal frequencies, right?'

Maybe you should just watch the movie? ;) It's not a global warming scenario, though the origin of the life-threatening situation (a sort of biological agent than got out of control) is never mentioned.

As to 'STS side', they are all STS to various degrees - just like the rest of us, right? There is, however, one particular person in the movie who stands out regarding STS tendencies - due to him the mission almost fails.

It has been surprising to see, how the movie has received pretty negative reviews and reactions on many movie sites, and on their forums. There seems to be dislike towards the ”new agey” -elements, and also there appears to be a ”backlash” towards Christopher Nolan’s style of directing/ structuring his movies.

Personally, I think that even if not perfect, the movie was very good and well made.

It is actually pretty remarkable, that such a slow moving and ”cerebral” movie can be made in Hollywood these days, at this budget level, without the studio ”transformerying” it. I guess the only explanation is that Nolan has had such a string of commercial hits, that he was given free rein with this, without the studio interfering and simplifying things, adding commercial elements.

I remember Frank Darabont, the director of Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile, saying in an interview, that in his experience it is nowadays pretty much impossible to make a ”serious” movie (budgeted over 30 million USD), without the studios interfering increasingly.

Spoilers

Although the science of the movie regarding black holes etc., might not be correct if taking the Electric Universe -concept in consideration, it was cool to see that the man made global warming -scenario wasn’t emphasized as the reason for the life-threatening situation.

And it was even cooler and surprising to see the concept of ”future selves” helping people in the present, very cassiopaean :). The ending was very emotional and uplifting, I’m still feeling the positive vibes, after seeing the movie earlier today.

I also just watched this and thought it was pretty special. For a movie that's nearly 3 hours long I never once looked at my watch or thought 'how much longer is there?' Also I thought the soundtrack was great and a perfect fit. Did anyone hear the possible references/tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey with the grand organ chords for the big scenes in space (the end of 'Sunrise' by Strauss) ?

Without spoiling anything - although can we assume if you're reading this thread without having seen the movie it's kinda your own fault if you get spoiled? - the 'fifth dimension' scene with portals to the bedroom in all times was really quite fascinating. To see a visual on the concept of time occurring simultaneously, to be able to go back and forth at will and change or influence things was really cool :) Then being able to communicate too, I wonder if where the C's transmit from - if it's in anyway like that visually or theoretically even if we can't perceive how it'd look?

Odyssey said:
Interstellar’s message is resonating with millions because it creates a tribal sense of connection and a longing to carry the fire of humanity into the future. The film is a rejection of the command and control systems being imposed on humanity and a beckoning to break the chains on our pioneering spirit.

minor spoilers follow

I watched the movie today and liked it too. It's been awhile since a good hardcore sci-fi movie hit the big screens. There was only Moon, and not counting Gravity, since it wasn't really a hardcore science-fiction, but still very nice.

And yep, a lot of interesting parallels to ideas presented by the C's. Gravity, love, time being a separate dimension, etc. Also references, even if small ones to 2001: A Space Odyssey. But maybe it's coincidental. Even the robot at first glance looked like an obelisk. And the thing with Saturn and things beginning and ending there, when in the Space Odyssey it was Jupiter. But maybe it was more of a homage to Kubrik's masterpiece than intentional parallels.

But what was most interesting, at least for me, is to see the narrative where a pioneering spirit isn't dead yet, even if it is being cynically used by others.

One of my favorite songs is Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer. And apparently she wrote the song in criticism of the Moon landing program, specifically the Apollo one, how it ended and how the whole concept of space exploration was based on lies. On one hand the program spoke of human spirit and sense of adventure, but what was really happening is a simple competition with the "Ruskies". And that's a shame, because there was entire generation, including myself, that dreamed of space travel, humanity reaching out to the skies and building colonies on other planets. There was a very long period in the Soviet Union when everyone wanted to be a cosmonaut, it was also a time when many good sci-fi books both in SU and abroad were written. It was probably a Renaissance period of hardcore sci-fi literature.

Sure, now I understand that this longing isn't really for "space travel" (though that would be nice ;) ), but for understanding concepts and uncovering secrets the Universe has to offer. But still, there is something about those rockets piercing the sky and flying boldly into the unknown. :)

https://youtu.be/UuhDDx49TTw

Keit said:
minor spoilers follow

Also references, even if small ones to 2001: A Space Odyssey. But maybe it's coincidental. Even the robot at first glance looked like an obelisk. And the thing with Saturn and things beginning and ending there, when in the Space Odyssey it was Jupiter. But maybe it was more of a homage to Kubrik's masterpiece than intentional parallels.

They did it intentionally from what I've heard and, in fact, in the 2001 book they actually fly to Saturn too. The 2001 movie changed it to Jupiter because showing Saturn's rings was too difficult with 1960's technology.

Keit said:
There was a very long period in the Soviet Union when everyone wanted to be a cosmonaut, it was also a time when many good sci-fi books both in SU and abroad were written. It was probably a Renaissance period of hardcore sci-fi literature.

Yes, I remember that time as well. It seemed like space travel was treated almost like a sort of religious experience in the USSR. I wonder how much the lack of space travel lately is due to some "powers" (4D/3D) not wanting people to go to certain places.

axj said:
I wonder how much the lack of space travel lately is due to some "powers" (4D/3D) not wanting people to go to certain places.

I've wondered the same thing. Biologically, humans are not fit for space travel and it's only with super efforts that humans can even be on a space station without becoming debilitated or dying (or blowing up on the way there). Whether it's a lack of mastery of physics and space/time on the part of humans or it's a cosmic mandate of "thou shall not escape this prison planet" played out through our biology is an interesting question.

Odyssey said:
axj said:
I wonder how much the lack of space travel lately is due to some "powers" (4D/3D) not wanting people to go to certain places.

I've wondered the same thing. Biologically, humans are not fit for space travel and it's only with super efforts that humans can even be on a space station without becoming debilitated or dying (or blowing up on the way there). Whether it's a lack of mastery of physics and space/time on the part of humans or it's a cosmic mandate of "thou shall not escape this prison planet" played out through our biology is an interesting question.

I tend to think that the biological part is quite relative - for example, biologically we are not even fit to live in colder climates, yet billions of people live there. In human history, there has always been a need for 'technological advances' in order to live in formerly inhospitable places - be it clothing, housing, food transportation, etc. Life in outer space of course presents many new challenges, but I wouldn't say that it is biologically impossible.

The gravity problem can be solved with rotation and shielding from the cosmic and solar rays can be done either with layers of material or with the help of magnetic fields as well. All of this is feasible with today's technology, though for one reason or another the development in this field is pretty slow.

That's also why I'm excited about Elon Musk and his SpaceX rockets. His aim is to create a colony on Mars within 10-20 years. And if there is one person who seems capable of doing this, it is him.

I saw the movie. Pure Masonic propaganda. The film is filled with many errors. Actually a little truth (1%), coated with 99% lie (brainwashing).
Overall the film is just a fun Sunday afternoon, nothing more, not even for that.

Lamadu said:
I saw the movie. Pure Masonic propaganda. The film is filled with many errors. Actually a little truth (1%), coated with 99% lie (brainwashing).
Overall the film is just a fun Sunday afternoon, nothing more, not even for that.

Did you not find any of the relationships moving?

Lamadu said:

Can you explain us what kind of Masonic propaganda is this? If you said it is a propaganda maybe you can also tell us what for, if it is ok with you.

Liked the part where the scientist explains how in 3D the "wormhole" would like like a sphere, instead of a circle. It resonates with a lot of what how we perceive reality at the moment. Many parallels with C's cosmogony, we all attendees ended up pointing to the clear reference to "you in the future" right after the movie ended. Tesseracts included, the reference to "they" creating a 3D space that humans could understand was also very interesting.

I saw this film tonight, it was very entertaining but moved too slow for me at times. At 169 minutes it makes me wish smoking in the cinemas was still allowed :cool2:.

I found parts quite emotional and really enjoyed the references to the fourth and fifth dimensions, **bit of a spoiler alert** and especially enjoyed the scene when he realises 'they' (the one sending messages back in time) is actually himself in the future.

Lamadu said:

Very subjective.. but I would say it was more like 20% truth (as far as truth about higher densities goes in a film) :lol: I don't think there was much of a brainwashing effect. I even had a feeling of having a little more faith in the universe after seeing how his personal sacrifices helped the future of humanity.

Lamadu said:

What lies or errors did you find, specifically? I cannot think of anything in this movie that would constitute anything close to brainwashing.

We will quote Laura. Have you read the materials of Laura?
- First around the film extends NASA names. We present a unique as saviors of humanity surrounded by a lot of emotions.
- Then claim that gravity exists only in three dimensions, while Cassiopeiaн, as I remember confirmed that gravity extends across all density and dimensions.
.. and so on

Lamadu said:
We will quote Laura. Have you read the materials of Laura?
- First around the film extends NASA names. We present a unique as saviors of humanity surrounded by a lot of emotions.
- Then claim that gravity exists only in three dimensions, while Cassiopeiaн, as I remember confirmed that gravity extends across all density and dimensions.
.. and so on

I know a person, who also went to a movie and didn't like it. He said, that all he saw in the movie were corn fields, American flags, NASA insignia and three legged robots. He also thought that it was some sort of American propaganda. etc. But then, he didn't understand the science of the movie, and he definitely didn't understand its emotional component and how both intertwine to create "a marriage" of both worlds. Don't think Masons have something like this. But C's do.

But then, no one is trying to make direct parallels between C's ideas and the movie. It's just fun to recognize similar concepts in this artistically pleasing analogy. You do know what analogy is, I hope, and how it can help understand various ideas?

As for NASA and American flags, that's what happens when the movie is being done in Hollywood. ;) I bet if it was a Russian production, you would have cosmonauts wearing ear-flaps hats, talking in English with a heavy accent and acting all crazy (oh, wait, that's how they portray Russians in American movies :P) The point is, it doesn't matter if the exact details or the decor of the movie match, but what can you understand from it by analogy. Good example of that would the The Wizard of Oz, that, as it turns out was inspired by the C's.

Back
Top Bottom