Iodine and Potassium Iodide

As I wrote earlier, it's no use me trying to explain what I read in not-so-too-good -english, just make yourself a big favour and read the links just on the two first two pages of this thread as a introduction to iodine. Doctors practiced doses ranged 5-8 gram iodine dayily without any negative consequences. To treat leprose or syphilis the starting dose was about 1,5 gram daily. The same with plague or some other serious diseases. There are lots of references. High doses are needed to bring back health, to kill parasites, or to detox from some metals, especially mercury.

Kenny, maybe you could also do yourself a favour and read this entire thread instead of just the initial two pages or so? You'll see that people's responses to iodine were varied, many people here reported massive issues with the tiniest doses, others did well on higher doses.

Context is king, and so is each individual's specific situation, and this rule goes way beyond just iodine supplementation. Excuse my pointing out the basics but the good old statement that there is the good, the bad and the situation that determines which one's which comes to mind here.

Not to mention that testimonials provided throughout this entire thread have as much experimental value as materials quoted at the beginning. It's strange that you rejected their usefulness.

All you don't get the point - Iodine is dangerous in low doses - just as "professionals" advise. And then people have problems with iodine, and often give up. And everyone should use at least 100 mg Iodine daily or move out of Earth to other, non radioactive poluted planet, without artificial EM smog. Lower doses make people don't use Iodine, because of bad experience.

Questioning your own thinking is a highly advisable strategy on this forum, yet you are absolutely convinced all of us here fail to get the point and you're the only one who got it. It's rather ambitious of you to assume this.

And how are you going to explain the fact that I personally took low doses of iodine (2 to 8 drops of 12% Lugol) consistently for 4.5 years, during which time I noticed tremendous improvement in my health? Heh?

Kenny, maybe you could also do yourself a favour and read this entire thread instead of just the initial two pages or so? You'll see that people's responses to iodine were varied, many people here reported massive issues with the tiniest doses, others did well on higher doses.

Context is king, and so is each individual's specific situation, and this rule goes way beyond just iodine supplementation. Excuse my pointing out the basics but the good old statement that there is the good, the bad and the situation that determines which one's which comes to mind here.

Not to mention that testimonials provided throughout this entire thread have as much experimental value as materials quoted at the beginning. It's strange that you rejected their usefulness.

Questioning your own thinking is a highly advisable strategy on this forum, yet you are absolutely convinced all of us here fail to get the point and you're the only one who got it. It's rather ambitious of you to assume this.

And how are you going to explain the fact that I personally took low doses of iodine (2 to 8 drops of 12% Lugol) consistently for 4.5 years, during which time I noticed tremendous improvement in my health? Heh?
As I can remember Ant22, you tried/carried out a lot of other health protocols and supplements, so can you really attribute all your health improvements to iodine?

I have been following this thread since it appeared and I can not remember anyone trying such huge doses of 700 mg to 2 grams per day as Kenny has. If anyone can remember someone, please post, with a quote possibly. I am very curious.

I took the time and went through the first two pages of this thread (as Kenny suggested) to look for dosage references (among some other interesting information) and found these :
winningcancer.com Iodine and Chelation ; Heavy Metals and Halogens:

Increased fluid facilitates the excretion of excess iodine and the bromides, fluorides and heavy metals that the iodine displaces. Dr. Abraham also reported that the administration of magnesium in daily amounts up to 1200 mg eliminated the body odor but not the cloudy urine.
A newly discovered oxidant defense system is found in the free radical scavenging capacity of thyroid hormones Thyroxine, reverse-T3 and iodothyronines seem to be important as antioxidants and inhibitors of lipid peroxidation[xx],[xxi] and is more effective than vitamin E, glutathione and ascorbic acid.
Several mechanisms are utilized to remove mercury from the body. In order for these detoxification mechanisms to work properly, numerous essential minerals like Iodine, Zinc, Sulfur, Selenium, and Silica stimulate the excretion of mercury. Unfortunately, the average person's daily intake of Iodine is not high enough to protect them from mercury.
Supplementing with iodine can replenish your iodine stores while flushing out poisons. People usually do not experience the negative effects of some type of detoxification when using iodine unless they are removing unusually high levels of bromide and fluoride. Most people actually notice increased energy, better sleep, and mental clarity.
The involvement of free radicals in tissue injury induced by magnesium deficiency[xxiv] causes an accumulation of oxidative products in the heart, liver, kidney, skeletal muscle tissues and in red blood cells.[xxv] Magnesium is a crucial factor in the natural self-cleansing and detoxification responses of the body. It stimulates the sodium potassium pump on the cell wall and this initiates the cleansing process in part because the sodium-potassium-ATPase pump regulates intracellular and extracellular potassium levels.
Some doctors see cancer tumors having characteristics very similar to yeasts. "Seaweeds (iodine) have exceptional value in the treatment of candida overgrowth. They contain selenium and (all the) other minerals necessary for rebuilding immunity; furthermore the rich iodine content is used by enzymes in the body to produce iodine-charged free radicals which deactivate yeasts. Before the advent of anti-fungal drugs, iodine was the standard medical treatment for yeasts. When candidiasis is complicated with tumours or cancers, then seaweed is of additional benefit. Salt should normally be restricted during candida overgrowth"
winningcancer.com - Iodine: Bring Back the Universal Nutrient Medicine:

Dr. David Derry said, "Lugol's solution is an iodine-in-water solution used by the medical profession for 200 years.One drop (6.5 mg per drop) of Lugol's daily in water, orange juice or milk will gradually eliminate the first phase of the cancer development namely fibrocystic disease of the breast so no new cancers can start. It also will kill abnormal cells floating around in the body at remote sites from the original cancer. Of course this approach appears to work for prostate cancer as prostate cancer is similar to breast cancer in many respects. Indeed, it likely will help with most cancers. Also higher doses of iodine are required for inflammatory breast cancer. As well we know that large doses of intravenous iodine are harmless which makes one wonder what effect this would have on cancer growth."
The antiseptic properties of iodine are used to sterilize every surface and material in hospitals. Iodine is an excellent microbicide with a broad range of action that includes almost all of the important health-related microorganisms, such as enteric bacteria, enteric viruses, bacterial viruses, fungi and protozoan cysts.[v] The minimum number of iodine molecules required to destroy one bacterium varies with the species. For H. influenzae it was calculated to be 15000 molecules of iodine per cell. When bacteria are treated with iodine, the inorganic phosphate up-take and oxygen consumption by the cells immediately ceases.
Selenium is absolutely essential in the age of mercury toxicity for it is the perfect antidote for mercury exposure. It is literally raining mercury all over the world but especially in the northern hemisphere. And of course with the dentists poisoning a world of patients with mercury dental amalgam and the doctors with their mercury laden vaccines, selenium is more important than most of us can imagine. One must remember that mercury strips the body of selenium for the selenium stores get used up quickly because of its great affinity for mercury)
Iodine is needed in microgram amounts for the thyroid, mg amounts for breast and other tissues, and can be used therapeutically in gram amounts.[ix]
Dr. David Miller
When patients take between 12.5 to 50 mg of iodine per day, it seems that the body becomes increasingly more responsive to thyroid hormones.[xi] Optimal intake of iodine in amounts two orders of magnitude greater than iodine levels needed for goiter control may be required for iodization of hormone receptors.
Iodine transport damage can be corrected, in part, by administration of reasonably high doses of ascorbic acid or more natural Vitamin C.
It takes 20 to 40 times the amount of Iodine needed to control breast cancer and fibrocystic disease than it does to prevent goiter (150 mcg).
Drs. Abraham, Flechas and Brownstein tested more than 4,000 patients taking iodine in daily doses ranging from 12.5 to 50 mg, and in those with diabetes, up to 100 mg a day. These investigators found that "iodine does indeed reverse fibrocystic disease; their diabetic patients require less insulin; hypothyroid patients, less thyroid medication; symptoms of fibromyalgia resolve, and patients with migraine headaches stop having them." We can expect even better results when iodine is combined with magnesium chloride.
Thyroxin and Triiodothyronine stimulates and maintains normal heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.[xvii] "Despite the general medical dependence upon special hormone tests, such as TSH, etc, temperature appears to be much more accurate for assessing thyroid function. During the past decade, I have noticed that 90% of individuals have a temperature BELOW normal. The oral temperature before getting out of bed in the morning should be 97.6 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Mid-afternoon the temperature should be 98.6. Temperature is the simplest measure of basal metabolic rate, the key function of the thyroid gland," said Dr. Norman Shealy, who suggests iodine dosages of 1500 micrograms daily 4 to 6 weeks. If basal temperature comes to normal, lower iodine dosage to 600 mcg daily.
Dr. Fletchas[xviii] reported that two years later and 70 pounds lighter this above patient continues to have excellent glucose control on iodine 50 mg per day. "We since have done a study of twelve diabetics and in six cases we were able to wean all of these patients off of medications for their diabetes. The range of daily iodine intake was from 50 mg to 100 mg per day. All diabetic patients were able to lower the total amount of medications necessary to control their diabetes."
In a study done on 617 infants between the ages of 6 weeks and six months, in an iodine deficient area, it was shown that with the addition of 100 mg of iodine oil to the diet of newborns, that the death rate of infants was markedly lower than for those without any supplementation.
winningcancer.com Iodine, the Universal Pathogen Killer:

I personally talked to a missionary, Stephen Fisher, in Zambia on the phone last year who told me about his very successful use of iodine to treat people with malaria. He used 20 drops of Nascent Iodine in a half glass of water given 4 or 5 times during the first day and then decreased the dose to 10 drops of Nascent Iodine 4 times a day for 3 more days, although higher dosages can be administered for much longer since iodine is a nutritional medicine that is needed by the body. Such a protocol can be used for the swine flu or any other type of influenza. Brownstein and others use much higher dosages of other iodine forms, namely Lugol’s 9 and Iodoral for cancer treatment. If you are interested in high dose usage, please read one of the books by Dr. Brownstein or myself for more details on how to do so.
9 Retired biochemist and toxicologist Walter Last has this to say about Lugol’s: “Lugol's solution is an internal iodine solution designed to eliminate Candida and possibly viruses and other microbes from the bloodstream. Obtain 100ml of Lugol's solution, also labeled Aqueous Iodine Oral Solution B.P., from a chemist. Take a test drop in liquid other then just water to make it taste less strong. If this does not cause an allergic reaction, continue to take 4 x 6 drops daily in liquid or mixed with food, but not together with vitamins A, C, E, grape seed extract or cysteine. Iodine is an oxidant and it is best to reduce the intake of antioxidants while using it. If the blood was contaminated, then you may initially experience a die-off reaction of the Candida, causing weakness and possibly headache or nausea. If this happens cut temporarily back on the amount of Lugol's solution and drink plenty of water and diluted teas or juices. Continue for 3 weeks, but interrupt if you develop a serious reaction. Do not take the iodine for more than 3 weeks as that interferes with thyroid activity. If necessary repeat the course after several months.”
Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD:

Researchers have determined that residents on the coast of Hokkaido eat a quantity of seaweed sufficient to provide a daily iodine intake of 200 mg a day.

Russian researchers first showed, in 1966, that iodine effectively relieves signs and symptoms of fibrocystic breast disease. Vishniakova and Muraveva treated 167 women suffering from fibrocystic disease with 50 mg KI during the intermenstrual period and obtained a beneficial healing effect in 71 percent (it is reference 49 here).
Some people taking milligram doses of iodine, usually more than 50 mg a day, develop mild swelling of the thyroid gland without symptoms. The vast majority of people, 98 to 99 percent, can take iodine in doses ranging from 10 to 200 mg a day without any clinically adverse affects on thyroid function.
Iodine was used for a wide variety of ailments after its discovery in 1811 up until the mid-1900s, when thyroidologists warned that "excess" amounts of iodine might adversely affect thyroid function. It is effective in gram amounts for treating various dermatologic conditions, chronic lung disease, fungal infestations, tertiary syphilis, and even arteriosclerosis. The Nobel laureate Dr. Albert Szent Gy?rgi (1893?1986), the physician who discovered vitamin C, writes: "When I was a medical student, iodine in the form of KI was the universal medicine. Nobody knew what it did, but it did something and did something good. We students used to sum up the situation in this little rhyme:

If ye don’t know where, what, and why Prescribe ye then K and I"

The standard dose of potassium iodide given was 1 gram, which contains 770 mg of iodine.

This 19th and early 20th century medicine continues to be used in gram amounts in the 21st century by dermatologists. They treat inflammatory dermatoses, like nodular vasculitis and pyoderma gangrenosum (shown here), with SSKI, beginning with an iodine dose of 900 mg a day, followed by weekly increases up to 6 grams a day as tolerated. Fungal eruptions, like sporotrichosis, are treated initially in gram amounts with great success. These lesions can disappear within two weeks after treatment with iodine.

For many years physicians used potassium iodide in doses starting at 1.5 to 3 gm and up to more than 10 grams a day, on and off, to treat bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with good results and surprisingly few side effects.

There is a case report in the medical literature of a 54-year-old man who, thinking it was iced tea, drank a "home preparation" of SSKI in water that his aunt kept in the refrigerator for her rheumatism. Over a short period of time he consumed 600 ml of this solution, which contained 15 gm of iodide, an amount 100,000 times more than the RDI. He developed swelling of the face, neck, and mouth, had transient cardiac arrhythmias and made an uneventful recovery.

Gram ranges of iodine were only anectodotaly mentioned as an "old" therapheutic dosages and none of the "new" doctors (Brownstein and others) were/are mentioning them, let alone using or advising them. I can't remember that they even tried very high doses and said that they were not effective.

I have been using Lugols 5% for some 4 years now and it has helped me to some extent (l have a little bit more energy and my brain works somewhat better) but I am still strugguling with joint and musle pain and with fatigue. I have tried a maximum of 300 mg of iodine per day but was too fatigued after 2 weeks so I had to lover it to about 2 drops/day (12 mg/day) which I still use religiously today, every day (maybe missed out 2 days off iodine in those 4 years). Occasionaly I do pulse dosing of 300mg/day maximally 2 days in a row. On the third day I usually feel very fatigued and need about 2 days to recover.

I got tired of being tired most of the time so, encouraged with Kennys posts, I decided to experiment with high doses. Started 15 day ago with 100 mg/day and upping the dosage by 50 mg every two days. I am now at 450 mg/day divided into two doses. First (morning) dose I drink mixed with milk because otherwise all that iodine becomes too "heavy" on my throat and stomach. On the first 10 days I had lots of energy and my sleep time was reduced by 1 hour. After that I had an energy drop (still have) to a little bit more energy then I usually have. My joint and muscle pain has reduced by some 30% and some days I have none. I supplement with salted water every day, sometimes B vit complex, sometimes D vit and sometimes selenium.
All and all it's going pretty good and I will report more after I reach 1.5 grams/day (maybe higher) or become "cured" (or my leg falls off) :-).

Just to add: intelectually, Kennys post were not so alluring, but I felt a gut feeling of joy when reading them that I had to give them more credit. No offense, Kenny.:-)

I'm not sure that high dose is the criterion gold. I don't deny that it is suitable for some people, but it's not the standard
Everyone is NOT the same
Nobody said iodine is not good
You are missing the point
Context is king, and so is each individual's specific situation, and this rule goes way beyond just iodine supplementation
Kenny, if you connect the dots from the quotes above, you will see a clearer picture of this iodine issue.
Iodine may be a part of the whole picture, but there are other factors.

Say you have an MTHFR mutation or a Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency or your gut health is not okay.
Shortcomings of nutrients (Vitamins and minerals) play a roll, diet is crucial, age is also relevant, environment, etc

You have tried Iodine in high doses and you got improvements in you general health, that's very good! But don't expect this is also for everybody.

Kenny, there hasn't been any attack against you. Wondering about megadoses when one hasn't got evidence is not an attack. It's even necessary.
As said we are not against discovering new things, but we are against advicing megadoses when we don't know what harm it can do. Of course I would ingest even 10g if I was at a terminal stage of a cancer, or another highly severe malady, but I won't in my present state.
If someone finds a study and evidence for megadoses and in which conditions, we'll take it. Without accurate knowledge, on a forum, we can't advice megadoses to a patient without close medical monitoring.

The Todd: Thank you for providing the quotes: it's about doses around 100 mg: this isn't a problem for us. It's about doses above 500mg that questionned us. About iodine becoming too heavy in your stomach and throat: I had this too, at lower doses, that's why I changed for blue iodine (thank you again, Persej). With this kind of iodine (organic, instead of mineral - amyloiodine) I can ingest higher doses. But I don't take it every day, I like pausing my body for long periods and taking it again when I feel my body asking for it.

Stomachaches when taking Lugol is maybe a sign from the body to inform that it can't tolerate the taken amount? Maybe mineral iodine (as in Lugol solution) is more risky, harmful to the body? It's possible that Dr Lugol or other ones in the 1800's have given megadoses in specific cases and close monitoring with good results and the info have been destroyed, or censored? We don't know.
In his hospital in Paris, Dr Lugol usually gave 20mg x 3/day (60 mg each day) and it was efficient in most cases. In some cases (like syphilis, severe tuberculosis with cutaneous abcesses) he added iodine baths every day.

In the present state of our knowledge, it is more prudent to add a complementary treatment (vitamines, diet, etc) or to add another way of iodine intake like
- baths (Dr Lugol used wooden bathtube because at that time bathtubes were made with zinc and it's not good to put iodine and a metal in contact),
- inhalations. Laura made and excellent thread about inhalations, with what one can use in it, including iodine, depending on what condition one wants to treat.

Another point: Even if you increase the doses, if you don't treat in a holistic way, you won't be able to solve the problem , so it's not worthy to take risk of getting harmful effects. Holistic way: I mean treating, for example, interferences as dental cavities, metallic plaques of past broken bones, mental blocakes, etc... Cf electric body, meridians, fascia ( for fascias there has been a good radio-show on sott).
As always, evering is distinct but everything is connected.

As I can remember Ant22, you tried/carried out a lot of other health protocols and supplements, so can you really attribute all your health improvements to iodine?

You are correct TheTodd, I have indeed tried lots of therapies and supplements over the years so you've come to a reasonable conclusion based on what I've shared so far. However, there are things I haven't shared that may give you (and others) a better idea of where I was coming from.

I posted in this thread about a sudden relapse of my symptoms in mid May 2019 and in the course of the discussion that followed I was advised to quit ALL supplements, including iodine. I followed the advice completely and discontinued all supplements for full 6 months. During this time I continued to feel very well but some symptoms that I thought had been long gone started to creep back in.
  1. I used to have really bad and frequent colds but during the 4.5 years on iodine I didn't have a cold or flu even once. Just 2-3 instances of a day or two of slight head cold and a little bit of a blocked nose that resembled the last day of a normal cold. Then suddenly between September and December I had 5 rather severe colds. Given that going through a cold should give me some immunity for a while such frequency was rather weird.
  2. Before iodine I had frequent and random rashes and/or breakouts on my face (painful, large and often inflamed spots). They improved and later disappeared after I started taking iodine and returned shortly after I discontinued it. They weren't as bad as before, no inflammation, just itching and redness - but they were there.
  3. I used to have mild but painful bunions. Over the years one foot has completely cleared and the other one still has slight inflammation left. I regained full flexibility in both my feet and my toes. Around September time I noticed the pain and discomfort started to come back daily, especially in the foot that hadn't completely cleared.
  4. Before iodine have permanently blocked sinuses. This issue slowly returned over the past couple of months.
As of mid-December, so 6 weeks ago, I resumed iodine supplementation following the 6-month break, but I decided to leave out all other supplements for the foreseeable future. I wanted to give it full three months before reporting my experiences but since you asked the above question I decided it may be useful to provide clarification at this stage.

It's hard to tell whether I got my immunity against colds back becuase it's only been a month since I had the last one but so far so good. Recurring rash has significantly reduced, in fact, I only had it once. Pain in my feet disappeared and my sinuses are clear again. That last symptom was resolved in a spectacular manner, the very first dose of iodine after my 6-month break caused a reaction that I'd describe as opening a tap in my nose. This lasted throughout that day and my sinuses have remained clear since then.

Note that apart from iodine+selenium I didn't remove or add any other supplements so I think it's fair to say that - at least in the case of the above symptoms - iodine was an important factor.

I hope this clarifies my viewpoint and reasons behind it. If removing all supplements from my diet, including iodine, coincided with relapse of certain symptoms, and reintroducing only iodine resulted in their improvement, I think it's fair to say low doses of iodine aren't as dangerous as Kenny claims. Certainly not for everyone. On the contrary actually: they can be very effective.

You are correct TheTodd, I have indeed tried lots of therapies and supplements over the years so you've come to a reasonable conclusion based on what I've shared so far. However, there are things I haven't shared that may give you (and others) a better idea of where I was coming from.

I posted in this thread about a sudden relapse of my symptoms in mid May 2019 and in the course of the discussion that followed I was advised to quit ALL supplements, including iodine. I followed the advice completely and discontinued all supplements for full 6 months. During this time I continued to feel very well but some symptoms that I thought had been long gone started to creep back in.
  1. I used to have really bad and frequent colds but during the 4.5 years on iodine I didn't have a cold or flu even once. Just 2-3 instances of a day or two of slight head cold and a little bit of a blocked nose that resembled the last day of a normal cold. Then suddenly between September and December I had 5 rather severe colds. Given that going through a cold should give me some immunity for a while such frequency was rather weird.
  2. Before iodine I had frequent and random rashes and/or breakouts on my face (painful, large and often inflamed spots). They improved and later disappeared after I started taking iodine and returned shortly after I discontinued it. They weren't as bad as before, no inflammation, just itching and redness - but they were there.
  3. I used to have mild but painful bunions. Over the years one foot has completely cleared and the other one still has slight inflammation left. I regained full flexibility in both my feet and my toes. Around September time I noticed the pain and discomfort started to come back daily, especially in the foot that hadn't completely cleared.
  4. Before iodine have permanently blocked sinuses. This issue slowly returned over the past couple of months.
As of mid-December, so 6 weeks ago, I resumed iodine supplementation following the 6-month break, but I decided to leave out all other supplements for the foreseeable future. I wanted to give it full three months before reporting my experiences but since you asked the above question I decided it may be useful to provide clarification at this stage.

It's hard to tell whether I got my immunity against colds back becuase it's only been a month since I had the last one but so far so good. Recurring rash has significantly reduced, in fact, I only had it once. Pain in my feet disappeared and my sinuses are clear again. That last symptom was resolved in a spectacular manner, the very first dose of iodine after my 6-month break caused a reaction that I'd describe as opening a tap in my nose. This lasted throughout that day and my sinuses have remained clear since then.

Note that apart from iodine+selenium I didn't remove or add any other supplements so I think it's fair to say that - at least in the case of the above symptoms - iodine was an important factor.

I hope this clarifies my viewpoint and reasons behind it. If removing all supplements from my diet, including iodine, coincided with relapse of certain symptoms, and reintroducing only iodine resulted in their improvement, I think it's fair to say low doses of iodine aren't as dangerous as Kenny claims. Certainly not for everyone. On the contrary actually: they can be very effective.

Ant22, those are some good news. I'm glad you are felling better again.

The more I read, the more am I unsure I follow this high-doses "business". Let's just forget, for a moment, about how Kenny is conveying information) and look at what we actually have:
- Kenny says that low doses are problematic, especially below 100 mg of iodine and that high doses (500-1500mg) will help break that spell;
- people who have problems on low and medium doses - have not tried high doses and fear high doses;
- people who had some problems resolved on low doses - have not tried high doses and fear high doses (like me before, for example);
- people who "claim" they have had/use high doses - "claim" they have made serious health improvements (like Kenny, his FB friends, anectodal claims from past iodine theraphys and I remeber at least one more guy that made a big essay on his improvements with big doses (Iodine and Potassium Iodide ));
- people who fear high doses, are waiting for hard proof that high doses are safe (mostly for 4.5 years, since iodine became popular on this forum);
- we have no information that high doses cause problems (even on that 54-year old man that accidentally drinked 15 grams of iodide in one day).

It's logical to think that high doses are not for everyone, but what is the actual percentage of those people? Is it, maybe, very small?
Of course we can discuss many theoretical problems that potentialy may arise on high doses but we will actually never know really, untill we try - because they are speculations and educated guesses.

So the only problem here is that we have only anectodal information on high doses effectivnes (and safety) and have zero real (and anecdotal) information on high doses problems.
Am I missing something here?

This is an interesting thread. I will relate some of my experience with iodine.

A long time ago, while doing some research (This was 15, or maybe 20 years ago that I was doing this research)., I happened upon some history of iodine, and how it was almost universally used for many afflictions. Doctors even had a saying back then, (paraphrasing) if you don't know the reason why, treat it with k and i (iodine). While I don't remember the exact numbers, large doses were used, with little or no side effects. And iodine was routinely swabbed on the area of incisions as a disinfectant.

I decided to give it a try, and went down to the pharmacy to buy some. I couldn't find it, so asked the pharmacist about it. He looked a little puzzled and said that he could make some up if I wanted it, so he did. It was Lugol's that he made up for me, and I remember it was a pretty big bottle.

So that was my introduction to it. I just kept increasing the dose until side effects occurred, but other than a runny nose, no adverse effects were experienced. I really didn't know what I was doing, and I don't remember how big the doses were. This was many years before I found the forum. I did notice over time that it did reduce, or eliminate a lot of problems I had. Mostly food sensitivities, insomnia, low body temperature, brain fog, fatigue, etc.

Now I am not recommending anyone do what I did, and in hindsight, it seems rather careless, but just wanted to relate a bit of my experience.

Now, I wish I could post here that research, but I have spent some time searching the internet, and I can't seem to find it. Must be scrubbed, or put into the dark recesses where it is hard or impossible to find.

Ant22, those are some good news. I'm glad you are felling better again.

The more I read, the more am I unsure I follow this high-doses "business". Let's just forget, for a moment, about how Kenny is conveying information) and look at what we actually have:
- Kenny says that low doses are problematic, especially below 100 mg of iodine and that high doses (500-1500mg) will help break that spell;
- people who have problems on low and medium doses - have not tried high doses and fear high doses;
- people who had some problems resolved on low doses - have not tried high doses and fear high doses (like me before, for example);
- people who "claim" they have had/use high doses - "claim" they have made serious health improvements (like Kenny, his FB friends, anectodal claims from past iodine theraphys and I remeber at least one more guy that made a big essay on his improvements with big doses (Iodine and Potassium Iodide ));
- people who fear high doses, are waiting for hard proof that high doses are safe (mostly for 4.5 years, since iodine became popular on this forum);
- we have no information that high doses cause problems (even on that 54-year old man that accidentally drinked 15 grams of iodide in one day).

It's logical to think that high doses are not for everyone, but what is the actual percentage of those people? Is it, maybe, very small?
Of course we can discuss many theoretical problems that potentialy may arise on high doses but we will actually never know really, untill we try - because they are speculations and educated guesses.

So the only problem here is that we have only anectodal information on high doses effectivnes (and safety) and have zero real (and anecdotal) information on high doses problems.

Just to add some other interesting information regarding high doses of iodine.
Another article regarding iodine popped up on sott.net:
Inside, there is a link to dr. Sircus page:
Among other information, dr. Sircus writes:
Cousens states, “Historically, as early as 1911, people normally took between 300,000-900,000 micrograms daily without incident.
I reported in my book that Dr. Brownstein uses between 200 and 300 milligrams of iodine daily, with higher doses for more serious and difficult diseases. In perspective, this seemingly “high” dose is still far lower than what the 11th edition of the 1910-1911 Encyclopedia Britannica cites as the “usual” doses of 300-900 milligrams (300,000-900,000 micrograms!) of iodine daily.
At 6 grams daily (which is 6 million micrograms/day or 6,000 milligrams/day!), a much higher dose, iodine has been used to cure syphilis, skin lesions, and chronic lung disease,” says Cousens. “From a larger physiological perspective, it is important to realize that the thyroid is only one gland of many glands and tissues that needs iodine. Other glands/organs/systems with high iodine uptake are the breasts, ovaries, cervix, blood, lymph, bones, gastric mucosal, salivary, adrenal, prostate, colon, thymus, lungs, bladder, kidney, and skin. Iodine is found and used in every hormonal receptor in the body,” he states.

BTW. I think, Iodine without selenium would do even better. Maybe it is due to my poor english writing practice, so I don't exactly write what I think, but I never said low doses of Iodine doesn't work. They just are not as effective as higher doses and MAY cause problems. Maybe in 1 of 3 people. And only higher doses effectively (in a matter of weeks) detox from mercury, that is extremally dangerous toxin for human.

Last edited:

Not exactly. I say they MAY be problematic for about 30% people. And I say 100 mg is generally safe, for a start, and for a long run. Doses between 300 and 700 detox from mercury, doses between 100 and 2000 mg heal most of diseases, fix most health problems, although doses up to 8000 mg daily are possible and safe.

100% correct

Even although you're not studied enough throughout Iodine literature, you stepped on many, not one anecdotical proof. Then it is not anectotical, but repeated. So worth considering.

Really? I didn't know. And I don't understand them. Since I had a problem poisoning my life, trying 500 mg of Iodine after 100 mg solved it wouldn't seem to be any achievement. Especially when C's encouraged to go over 100 mg...

I think, you just need to read this thread with considering my points. It is all here, and many more.

I think, you just need to read this thread with considering my points. It is all here, and many more.

Seems like you may be missing that The Todd is in agreement with you. He's basically saying that there's evidence that higher doses can be beneficial, but there's really no evidence that higher doses are harmful.

I think the issue with bad reactions has to do with high levels of bromide as a result of eating too many bread products. This is a modern issue as bromide wasn't added to bread back when iodine was being used to treat illness. And of course heavy metal toxicity and there could be specific issues like with the thyroid or whatever. But once you account for those I tend to think it's pretty safe myself.

Even although you're not studied enough throughout Iodine literature, you stepped on many, not one anecdotical proof. Then it is not anectotical, but repeated. So worth considering.
What Iodine literature are you talking about?
Anecdotal proof? I don't think that is a real proof, the one we look for on this forum.

Why should I read a 250 page thread?!? I have read the entire thread as I have been following it since it got popularity in 2015. Of course, I can't recall every single piece of information in it, but as I can remember, you were/are the only member who has tried and advocated (very) high doses. Or, maybe we are not on the same page - we don't understand each other very well.

I have found the iodine mentioned in the 11th edition of the 1910-1911 Encyclopedia Britannica;
and on pages 725-726 it stands:
IODINE…

In medicine iodine is frequently applied externally as a counter-irritant, having powerful antiseptic properties. In the form of certain salts iodine is very widely used, for internal administration in medicine and in treatment of many conditions usually classed as surgical, such as bone manifestations of tertiary syphilis. The most commonly used salt is the iodide of potassium; the iodides of sodium and ammonium are almost as frequently employed, and those of calcium and strontium are in occasional use. The usual doses of these salts are from five to thirty grains or more. Their pharmacological action is an obscure as their effects in certain diseased conditions are consistently brilliant and unexampled. Our ignorance of their mode of action is cloacked by the term deobstruent, which implies that they poses the power of driving out impurities from the blood and tissues. Most notably is this the case with the poisonus products of syphilis. In the tertiary stages – and also earlier – the disease yields in the most rapid and unmistakable fashion to iodides; so much so that the administration of these salts is at present the best means of determining whether, for instance, a cranial tumor be syphilitic or not. No surgeon would think of operating on such a case until iodides has been freely administred and, by failing to cure, had proved the disease to be non-syphilitic. Another instance of this deobstruent power – “alternative”, it was formery termed - is seen in the case of chronic lead poisoning. The essential part of the medical treatment of this condition is the administration of iodides, which are able to decompose the insolubale albuminates of lead which have become locked up in the tissues, rapidly causing their degeneration, and to cause the excretion of the poisonous metal by means of the intestine and the kidneys. The following is a list of the principal condition in which iodides are recognized to be of definite value: metallic poisonings, as by lead and mercury, asthma, aneurism, arteriosclerosis, angina pectoris, gout, goitre, syphilis, haemophilia, Bright’s disease (nephritis) and bronchitis.

Small quantities of the iodate (KIO3) are a frequent impurity in iodide of potassium, and cause the congeries of symptoms known as iodism. These comprise dyspepsia, skin eruption and the manifestations which are usually identified with a “cold in the head”. In many cases, as in syphilis, aneurism, lead poisoning, &c., the life of the patient depends on the free and continued use of the iodide, and this is best to be accomplished by securing an absolutely pure supply of the salt. Another often successful method of preventing the onset of symptoms of poisoning is to administer small doses of ammonium carbonate with the drug, thereby neutralizing the iodic acid which is liberated in the stomach.

Five to thirty grains or more of potassium iodide = 324 to 1944 milligrams or more of potassium iodide.

I've had a sinus infection for a few days and antibiotics aren't working. I saw this nasal spray Lugol's DIY video. I instead used colloidal silver. I'm reluctant to try it because I used a paper towel to pull out the nozzle and I'm not sure if the towel was completely dry (thinking about tap water and amoebas).

I think I need a neti pot or something similar. Being sick is not fun and amplifies negative thoughts. Reminds me of the session where transmarginal inhibition is used to weaken people and reduce their frequency.

Back
Top Bottom