Is Coffee Good or Bad for you?

I gave up coffee some months back. I was only having a large cup in the morning bullet-proof style, but I noticed that I was having trouble falling asleep so I tried an experiment. I switched to buttered tea, and now falling asleep is easier. I've always been pretty sensitive to caffeine, but I also think that coffee was stressing my adrenals which was causing the difficulty with sleeping. While I loved the taste of coffee, it's not worth having it mess with one's sleep.

Heimdallr said:
I gave up coffee some months back. I was only having a large cup in the morning bullet-proof style, but I noticed that I was having trouble falling asleep so I tried an experiment. I switched to buttered tea, and now falling asleep is easier. I've always been pretty sensitive to caffeine, but I also think that coffee was stressing my adrenals which was causing the difficulty with sleeping. While I loved the taste of coffee, it's not worth having it mess with one's sleep.

Thanks Heimdallr - since my last post on this topic, i stopped drinking coffee cold turkey the next day. It was intense headaches for 2 days and after that it was fine. Now i enjoy drinking oolong tea daily, and it works fine with me too :). Falling asleep for me has been the same, as it had improved tremendously after cold therapy; but i do feel the difference with the more relaxed adrenals - i dont feel as "strung" as before and not as fatigued. Its been two months of tea drinking daily, and now i looking forward to my next cuppa !

I went through a phase for about 3 weeks of drinking coffee recently. I just suddenly craved it after 32 years of hating the taste. It made me feel nervous and gave me "the fear" (you know like a feeling that something bad is going to happen). Needless to say I stopped and had headaches for 3 days then was back to normal.
It was an interesting experience but not one I'll try again.
Every morning I have a cup of buttery peppermint tea. It tastes brilliant.
I tried adding coconut oil but it just separated and sat on top of the tea so when I drank I got a big mouthful of warm oil! Bleugh.

Here is a very good update on coffee:

The connection between coffee and gluten sensitivity
http://www.sott.net/article/294133-The-connection-between-coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity

Gaby said:
Here is a very good update on coffee:

The connection between coffee and gluten sensitivity
http://www.sott.net/article/294133-The-connection-between-coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity

Yeah, it's really true. I tried another experiment - three days in a row a single cup of coffee; bad idea. A whole lot of pains reactivated, pressure feeling in my head, anxiety and frankly, I found that I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would considering the fact that I LOVE the smell of it!

Wasn't worth it. Back to my nice, black tea with an occasional orange/spice tea.

Laura said:
Wasn't worth it. Back to my nice, black tea with an occasional orange/spice tea.

Me too!

My little joints of the hands and feet were painful and swollen. I stopped coffee and the pain went away in the 4th-6th day. I also had more mental clarity and I felt my body moved much more swiftly. So for me, it is not worth it. Black tea works just fine.

lainey said:
I went through a phase for about 3 weeks of drinking coffee recently. I just suddenly craved it after 32 years of hating the taste. It made me feel nervous and gave me "the fear" (you know like a feeling that something bad is going to happen). Needless to say I stopped and had headaches for 3 days then was back to normal.
I tried adding coconut oil but it just separated and sat on top of the tea so when I drank I got a big mouthful of warm oil! Bleugh.
If you're making the fat bombs and can tolerate them, they also make a nice 'creamer' for tea.

truth seeker said:
lainey said:
If you're making the fat bombs and can tolerate them, they also make a nice 'creamer' for tea.
Oh nice! Thanks for the tip. I do love fat bombs, I'll try that today.

I had an odd experience last month with a 4-day fever probably due to viral infection.
It left me with no taste for coffee nor smoking and in general the olfactory and gustatory senses have gone totally off for about 3 weeks!
While the taste for food and smoking went back up to normal after the throat was cleared from inflammation, the coffee expresso still don't taste the same.
I'm one of those who periodically quit drinking coffee and consumes it spottily... it's time for another of those periods! Thanks for the info!
Coffee or not, I usually have 2+ cups of black tea per day.

I think I do well with coffee but very occasionally, in Venezuela we are used to have a tiny cup when drinking it, no like normal size cup and I drink it every two weeks more or less and works fine for me!

I've relegated coffee for weekends when catching up with a friend or doing a lengthy word processing session, but if I over do it I also get the 'fear' and feel like I've got a mild cold :shock:

After another long abstention, I started having a large cup of coffee in the morning for a few months. Don't seem to have any problems with it now. Last couple of time I tried it a couple of years ago, again after long abstentions, I wasn't able to get deep, restful sleep (tossing and turning, and no deep sleep). That's why I quit again after a few day trial.

I do remember older material (Nora Gedgudas?) pointing out that coffee has substances (not caffeine) that are the most cross-reactive with gluten. We discussed it on the forum couple of years ago. I also think it's important to have good quality, fresh beans ground fresh (either at home or at the store at time of purchase). I might quit again for a month or two and then reintroduce to see if I have any issues.

Immersion said:
I've relegated coffee for weekends when catching up with a friend or doing a lengthy word processing session, but if I over do it I also get the 'fear' and feel like I've got a mild cold :shock:
Ditto with the 'fear'. It's really an unsettling feeling.

Isn't it? It's worst when I have to go somewhere like a big supermarket where everyone is going about their regular mechanical consuming and I just have this overwhelming feeling of doom looming round the corner. I've found myself pipe breathing in the aisles on quite a few occasions.

Now, when y'all are talking about coffee, are you talking about decaf or caffeinated? Because I've hated coffee for as long as I can remember, but recently had bulletproof ghee coffee and really enjoyed the taste. I was very alert and sharp off of it, although it was a bit much at times. There was an almost low-grade anxiety in my belly during, which would be the "fear". I scaled it back a second time and had a decaf blend and was still bouncing off the walls with the "fear", although again, I was very alert most of the day. I noticed both times in the late afternoon, as it was wearing off I was getting annoyed very easily.

I was just about to make another, my third one this week, but after reading that others are also getting that low-grade anxiety, I might hold off on drinking coffee too often and instead make some ghee black tea instead. ;D

Back
Top Bottom