Is Coffee Good or Bad for you?

I myself never really liked or disliked coffee until I started doing Bulletproof. Adding butter and MCT oil turned it into a delectable treat! That said, I can tell good from bad coffee from how it makes me feel now. Bad coffee gives gives me the "jitters" even from one cup and feels rather uncomfortable. I don't get that when I use a good quality coffee. They say try to pick whole bean, single origin hand washed coffee as it tends to be better quality and lower in mycotoxin content. That said I usually only have it 2 - 3 times a week, as I find if I do drink it too often or too fast even the good coffee will give me the jitters. It does make a great fat delivery system though!

I've tried tea with butter too but I find it tastes too much like butter and not enough like tea. I'll probably give it another shot with just less butter and see how that goes.

fabric said:
I've tried tea with butter too but I find it tastes too much like butter and not enough like tea. I'll probably give it another shot with just less butter and see how that goes.

Toss the tea in a blender with MCT oil and butter ( and/or lard, maybe an occasional egg yolk ) and blend it up. Adding chai type spices is nice too.

m said:
Toss the tea in a blender with MCT oil and butter ( and/or lard, maybe an occasional egg yolk ) and blend it up. Adding chai type spices is nice too.

Egg yolk's not a bad idea!

Turgon said:
Now, when y'all are talking about coffee, are you talking about decaf or caffeinated? Because I've hated coffee for as long as I can remember, but recently had bulletproof ghee coffee and really enjoyed the taste. I was very alert and sharp off of it, although it was a bit much at times. There was an almost low-grade anxiety in my belly during, which would be the "fear". I scaled it back a second time and had a decaf blend and was still bouncing off the walls with the "fear", although again, I was very alert most of the day. I noticed both times in the late afternoon, as it was wearing off I was getting annoyed very easily.

I was just about to make another, my third one this week, but after reading that others are also getting that low-grade anxiety, I might hold off on drinking coffee too often and instead make some ghee black tea instead. ;D

I get exactly the same negative effects from decaf as regular. I get no negative effects from tea which has plenty of caffeine in it too. So I don't think it is the caffeine alone.

Laura said:
Gaby said:
Here is a very good update on coffee:

The connection between coffee and gluten sensitivity
http://www.sott.net/article/294133-The-connection-between-coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity

Yeah, it's really true. I tried another experiment - three days in a row a single cup of coffee; bad idea. A whole lot of pains reactivated, pressure feeling in my head, anxiety and frankly, I found that I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would considering the fact that I LOVE the smell of it!

Wasn't worth it. Back to my nice, black tea with an occasional orange/spice tea.

Same here,i really LOVE drinking tea, especially various types of green tea, about coffee, it has a negative effect on me, i still drink it some times, but i had enough of it, i mean it really isn't worth it, after drinking just a cup of coffee a day some times i feel tired, numb, i'm starting to sneeze a lot and so forth, so yes i had enough of it, it isn't worth it so from tomorrow i'm starting to skip the coffee entirely and drink my loved tea with a slice of lemon.

Andre' said:
Laura said:
Gaby said:
Here is a very good update on coffee:

The connection between coffee and gluten sensitivity
http://www.sott.net/article/294133-The-connection-between-coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity

Yeah, it's really true. I tried another experiment - three days in a row a single cup of coffee; bad idea. A whole lot of pains reactivated, pressure feeling in my head, anxiety and frankly, I found that I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would considering the fact that I LOVE the smell of it!

Wasn't worth it. Back to my nice, black tea with an occasional orange/spice tea.

Same here,i really LOVE drinking tea, especially various types of green tea, about coffee, it has a negative effect on me, i still drink it some times, but i had enough of it, i mean it really isn't worth it, after drinking just a cup of coffee a day some times i feel tired, numb, i'm starting to sneeze a lot and so forth, so yes i had enough of it, it isn't worth it so from tomorrow i'm starting to skip the coffee entirely and drink my loved tea with a slice of lemon.

Yeah, another experiment for me re-introducing coffee during the last few weeks. Result: Maybe one cup a week is okay, and even seems to stimulate me in a positive way, but if I overdo it, I start feeling HORRIBLE - headaches, low energy, bad sleep etc. So I guess I stick to the occasional cup when I'm in a social situation or in the form of bulletproof coffee as a special threat now and then, otherwise it's tea for me.

Yeah, it's definitely more than just the caffeine in coffee. It must be those highly cross-reactive substances with gluten - especially in Laura's case of pains and feeling of inflammation. The gut-brain connection must have something to do with the anxiety/fear also.

I never drink decaf coffee, so I was talking about caffeinated when it was giving me restless sleep. And I also love the smell (both brewed and beans/ground), even more than the taste, especially dark-roasts, which is what I've always loved. I do like the taste, with no sweetener added at all now, as opposed to making it really sweet when I used to have a sweet tooth years ago.

I'm wondering if having vitamin C would take care of the problem of mycotoxins (Vitamin C neutralizes/detoxes them) AND if there's any inflammation for those having it occasionally and having some of those issues.

Coffee causes inflammation for me, especially in my lower back and shoulders... Tea does OK. The only thing is, I can't drink tea on an empty stomach.

Since having coffee again for early morning purposes if needed, I tend to find NAC helps minimize the effects somewhat.

I gave up coffee about 6 weeks ago. Even though I miss the routine of waking, grinding, brewing, and enjoying, I'm better off without it. I have on and off anxiety and the caffeine only made it worse. Since, I've switched to buttered tea with a small amount of zylitol. Besides less anxiety, my stomach is also grateful. I was getting midday indigestion and as soon as I gave up the java, it went away.

Coffee is definitely more than just caffeine. If prepared "correctly", it can give a very tangible mood lift which caffeine on its own is unable to produce. These effects vary greatly with the variety of beans being used. Perhaps it's due to beta-carbolines (same as those in tobacco smoke) or some essential oils.

Negative inflamatory-like effects also seem to depend on the variety. I've noticed that strains with an intense aroma, which often happen to be those more "euphoric", are much more likely to produce headaches, mental fog etc., especially when prepared turkish-style. On the other hand, there are coffees i'm totally OK with, even when drinking 2 cups a day. It does not seem to depend on the quality alone and i don't think mold is the only culprit.

Buttered bulletproof coffee is awesome but the stimulation is more pronounced and can last too long for me. I guess with a "bad" strain of beans the negative effects will last much longer too.

For coffee lovers who find the negative effects overwhelming there's always a last restort - cold brew coffee. Cold water extracts a narrower spectrum of compounds, minimizing the amount of undesirable stuff (acids etc.). Caffeine does get extracted though. The taste is different but not bad at all.

This is a really interesting thread, so many different reactions from so many different people. I have been drinking organic coffee for about 5 years now, and have not found any bad side effects. Well, not quite true. Recently I found myself lying awake for hours at night, unable to sleep. So I cut the evening coffee and the problem went away. I guess the fact that coffee seems to affect different people in different ways might be a corollary to the information in the latest session about different folks having different dietary requirements - keto not for all, some need carbs etc.

I guess there is also the effect I have noticed on technical forums. Typically the people who post on a particular issue are ones who have the problem. So there tends to be an over representation of negative feedback about the subject under discussion as the people who are happy with the subject don't bother to post as they do not perceive a problem. Maybe that is in play here, or maybe I am extrapolating without due consideration to the nature of this forum. :(

SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, it's definitely more than just the caffeine in coffee. It must be those highly cross-reactive substances with gluten - especially in Laura's case of pains and feeling of inflammation. The gut-brain connection must have something to do with the anxiety/fear also.

The first thing that came to my mind was that it is a seed, therefore, it might contain some particular antinutrient that causes harm to the digestive system and others.

I did a quick search and found this:

Gluten Sensitivity or Celiac? Don’t Drink Coffee!

One of the most important pieces of information I learned at the recent PaleoFX12 Conference I attended in Austin last month concerned the surprising connection between gluten and coffee which holds ramifications for other autoimmune disorders as well.

The problem has nothing to do with caffeine, so decaf coffee would be included in this discussion.

In a nutshell, fairly recent lab research has revealed that 10% of coffee is a protein that cross reacts with gluten antibodies.

This means that if you are gluten sensitive or celiac and are avoiding gluten containing grains or perhaps have even gone completely grain free, if you still drink coffee there is a strong likelihood that the protein in the coffee is triggering the very same gluten related health problems you are trying to avoid.

In other words, even if you think you are doing fine with your current gluten free diet, it is very possible that skipping the coffee could take your health to the next level.

And this:

The Pros and Cons of Coffee

Coffee is made from a seed (not a legume, but the pit of the coffee fruit). Right away this should put us on the alert since seeds tend to contain protective compounds to prevent digestion and thereby ensure the survival of the plant species. In the case of wheat, those compounds cause increased intestinal permeability (i.e., leaky gut) and prime the immune system to exaggerate inflammation and potentially cause autoantibody formation, which is clearly detrimental to our health. In the case of the itty bitty seeds in blueberries, those compounds have such a low toxicity level as to have a negligible effect on our health (and the beneficial antioxidants and polyphenols in blueberries more than compensate!). So, where on that spectrum is the coffee bean?

Coffee is very rich in antioxidants and polyphenols. Many of the health benefits of coffee are attributed to these substances. These chemicals are also found abundantly in fruits and vegetables, which is why a diet rich in plant matter has pretty much the same list of health benefits as coffee (well, actually, far more health benefits). Some of the health benefits of coffee are directly attributable to its caffeine content (which is also why drinking tea which is rich in antioxidants, polyphenols and also contains caffeine is also associated with good health). This is partly why many of the beneficial effects of coffee are not seen with decaf coffee. Also, the decaffeination process tends to strip the coffee not only of much of its caffeine content but also many of its antioxidants and polyphenols (potentially leaving behind a few of the more harmful substances that can be found in coffee).

A large percentage of people report that coffee upsets their stomach or gives them heartburn. This is because coffee stimulates the secretion of the main gastric hormone gastrin 2. This causes excessive secretion of gastric acid and speeds up gastric peristalsis (even decaf coffee has this effect). Coffee also stimulates release of the hormone cholecystokinin (CKK), which stimulates release of bile from the gallbladder. In a healthy individual, this release of bile salts is likely sufficient to neutralize the highly acidic chyme. However, deficiencies in gall bladder function are associated with metabolic syndrome 3. In the case of reduced gall bladder function or excessive coffee consumption, highly acidic chyme travels through the small intestine where it irritates and inflames the lining of the intestines. This is also clearly a good argument for consuming coffee with food.

One of the detrimental effects of consuming caffeine (whether from coffee, tea, chocolate or energy drinks) is the effect that it has on cortisol. Caffeine acts to increase cortisol secretion by elevating production of adrenocorticotropic hormone by the pituitary gland 4. Excessive cortisol production can lead to a variety of health issues, including an overactive immune system, disrupted sleep, impaired digestion, and depression. When you consume caffeine, your cortisol level increases (dependent on what your cortisol management is like to begin with and how much caffeine you consume) and can stay elevated for up to 6 hours. With daily consumption, your body will adapt somewhat and not produce quite as much cortisol, but complete tolerance to caffeine does not occur 5. Very importantly, if you are a habitual consumer of caffeine, your cortisol will increase more dramatically in response to stress (like that guy cutting you off in traffic) than someone who doesn’t consume caffeine 6,7. If you have difficult managing stress as it is, caffeine is not helpful to you.

One key study showed that moderate coffee consumption in healthy individuals correlated with increased markers of inflammation in their blood 8. People who drank more than 200mL (that’s one large cup in my house) of coffee every day (equivalent to 37.3mg of caffeine) had increased circulating white blood cells and several key inflammatory cytokines (chemical messengers of inflammation, usually restricted to the site of injury or infection). When cytokines circulate in the blood, they cause low level inflammation everywhere in the body. This chronic systemic inflammation is exactly one of the situations we are trying to prevent with adoption of a paleo diet! These increases in markers of inflammation were persistent even after adjusting for other health and lifestyle factors (such as age, sex, weight, exercise, and smoking).

If you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, extra caution should be used when consuming coffee. Internal data from Cyrex Labs shows that for people who produce IgG or IgA antibodies against gluten (i.e., gluten sensitivity), coffee is the most common cross-reactive food. This is because there is a high degree of homology between some coffee proteins and gluten (this means the proteins look very similar so if your body is producing antibodies against gluten, they are more likely to also recognize coffee proteins). Food sensitivities are one of the main issues that prevents the body from fully healing after adopting a paleo diet. If your health isn’t improving as dramatically as you expected after adopting a paleo diet and if you are gluten-sensitive, continuing to consume coffee may be the culprit

fwiw...

I'm also sensitive to coffee, but haven't noticed emotional issues flaring up in response to it. What happens is simply that I get a bit more tired than usual some hours after drinking coffee - though if I have it on several successive days, I also feel inflamed.

Caffeine does not seem to be an issue. For a time, I used to drink 2 or more liters of strong, black Ceylon tea every day. That did not give any such problems.

However, I also seem to be mildly sensitive to tea. From the caffeine, the mind becomes more focused and less dreamy (which may be related to what's mentioned about "ADD" in the book Scattered) - but there's also a subtle loss of some other kind of clarity. More risk of tunnel-vision in some way. Could be a mild inflammatory response.

I've recently found that yerba mate works the best of all caffeinated drinks for me. Some are apparently sensitive to it, but in my case it basically works like tea does, but without that subtle loss of some kind of mental clarity.

I think for most people who want a caffeinated drink (and for whom caffeine is more beneficial than detrimental), it's a good idea to try out both black tea and yerba mate, and check if you're sensitive to one or both of them. Then, if one or both of them work out fine, you can pick the one that seems best for you.

Psalehesost said:
I'm also sensitive to coffee, but haven't noticed emotional issues flaring up in response to it. What happens is simply that I get a bit more tired than usual some hours after drinking coffee - though if I have it on several successive days, I also feel inflamed.

Caffeine does not seem to be an issue. For a time, I used to drink 2 or more liters of strong, black Ceylon tea every day. That did not give any such problems.

However, I also seem to be mildly sensitive to tea. From the caffeine, the mind becomes more focused and less dreamy (which may be related to what's mentioned about "ADD" in the book Scattered) - but there's also a subtle loss of some other kind of clarity. More risk of tunnel-vision in some way. Could be a mild inflammatory response.

I've recently found that yerba mate works the best of all caffeinated drinks for me. Some are apparently sensitive to it, but in my case it basically works like tea does, but without that subtle loss of some kind of mental clarity.

I think for most people who want a caffeinated drink (and for whom caffeine is more beneficial than detrimental), it's a good idea to try out both black tea and yerba mate, and check if you're sensitive to one or both of them. Then, if one or both of them work out fine, you can pick the one that seems best for you.

I have noticed that I'm sensitive to some teas as well, I sometimes feel nauseated when drinking black tea, I don't know if it is because it lowers the blood pressure, because I've already have a low pressure so maybe some days it is already very low and black tea lowers it even more, so I feel dizzy and nauseated. I think this is the case because I can drink it most of the time and it doesn't cause that effect.

Some other teas make me feel sleepy (chamomile and mint for example, and these are plants used to sleep in natural medicine here, so it makes sense) I bought a variety of different teas recently to try them out, but the problem is that I mixed them up together instead of trying them separately... :rolleyes: :P So I don't really know which one is the one that isn't very good for me. I'll have to wait a few days and try them separately.

So, yes, I also stick to my yerba mate which seem to be OK for me, but I don't drink it after 5-6 pm otherwise I can't sleep properly. People here drink it in the evening and I'm always like "how can you do it??" :scared: I also noticed that drinking too much of it can cause a bit of mild anxiety, though, so I try to keep it to two per day. And it is also very addictive for most people. :/

Thank you Yas for the posted information, since i'm also, sensitive to coffee it was an interesting reading, finally i have decided to cut it off completely, i like drinking tea, especially green tea, i didn't noticed any negative effects after drinking tea as i noticed when drinking coffee so no more coffee for me.

Back
Top Bottom