Is Coffee Good or Bad for you?

Prodigal Son said:
SovereignDove said:
... Perhaps my body was trying to tell me something? ...
It always pays to 'listen' to what your body is 'telling' you, after all, your body knows better than 'you'.

It certainly does, and I have a bad habit of not always "listening", and when I don't listen, my body "speaks" louder. Thanks for that reminder, I needed it. :D

Acid Yazz said:
Kniall said:
Miss.K said:
I get so depressed and tired when I try, that I can only crawl up in bed and feel that life is not worth living without

I had stopped drinking coffee for several years before recently experimenting with it again. While I got satisfaction from drinking it, and didn't become too excitable like I used to when going over a certain threshold, I look back at the fact that I came down with not one but two bouts of flu sickness (very raw nose, like Laura mentioned, heavy sneezing fits, and feeling stuffy and feverish) in the space of the ten days I was drinking it.

So I've decided at this point that coffee, certainly on a regular basis, is not for me. I wonder if the coffee very subtly compromised my immune system (even though I felt great) and that is how I came down with my first colds in ... well, a long time! In fact, my symptoms could simply have been part of an allergic reaction to the coffee.

Same here...

Luckily I've never been a coffee drinker. I mean, I've never drank it on a regular basis... I always preferred herbal infusions. So I guess I never got addicted to it, but I really enjoyed a cup of coffee once in a while.

Then, when starting the diet changes two years ago I stopped drinking it at all, and recently I've been experimenting with it, drinking one cup 2-3 times a week.

The result: I've got a cold last week, feeling pretty bad and concerned because it had been a long time since I didn't get sick like that. I had pain all over the body, strong migraines and even felt feverish for 3 days. I though my immune system was compromised for some reason and I got a flu like everybody else (it's the "flu season"), But I was still surprised because, as I said, I don't get generalized strong flu symptoms that last for more than some hours since I started changing my diet.

Besides that, I have been feeling some mind fog every morning and a difficulty to concentrate properly, something that I didn't have anymore. I blamed it on some kind of food reaction, since I'm one of those who are super sensitive to very different foods, but didn't think it was the coffee... :rolleyes:

Now that I read this (Yes, I guess I arrived late), I realize it could be the coffee. Yesterday I took a cup of it and today I feel this mind fog, fatigue, and difficulty to concentrate...

I also noticed that I got out of my keto balanced state. I crave for carbs again, something that wasn't a problem for me anymore...

So no more coffee for me. :cool: :cool2:

in the past 2 months I'm experiencing something like an allergic reaction,I'm coughing very often,the nose is filled with mucus sometimes i have difficulty in doing EE because of that and besides that i still have to work on my diet (previously like 2-3 years back i had a much worse diet and still i didn't experienced such a prolonged allergic reaction like this one ) so after doing a little research on the forum(I've found also a thread about people experiencing lately respiratory illnesses : http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31396.0.html ),i found this thread and after reading your posts i started to realize that since i drink daily a pretty strong coffee ,maybe my allergic reaction is in part because of that ? After drinking coffee i realized that I'm feeling sometimes weaker,feeling disturbances in the stomach,sometimes feeling tired my mind is foggier even sometimes i feel more irritated, yes i think from now on the coffee is out from my diet for sure ,thanks to all who participated in this thread it helped me to understand better one of the the causes of my "allergy" .

Andrian said:
i found this thread and after reading your posts i started to realize that since i drink daily a pretty strong coffee ,maybe my allergic reaction is in part because of that ?

Maybe, but it is more probably related with the bread and nutella you are having. Allergies never calm down unless there is zero molecules of gluten in the body disturbing the immune system.

I have really bad allergies all my life and it was only after removing gluten and dairy that there was a significant change. I have had coffee any now and then with no ill effects, on the contrary, a little boost and better bowel movements that leads to an overall wellness feeling. If I overdo the coffee, my adrenals and health resent, so it is one of those things were I have to find a balance.

Acid Yazz said:
Megan said:
Acid Yazz said:
...So no more coffee for me. :cool: :cool2:

The coffee might or might not be connected with the things you noticed. If you are looking for trouble with it, there is a good chance you will find it even if it isn't there. You were not drinking much coffee.

Yes... I agree.

I wasn't looking for a trouble with coffee specifically...

I just connected my flu symptoms to it since I read this thread yesterday and found that others had reported something similar. AND... one thing that I added to my diet recently was coffee... So... I thought it made sense to think that maybe coffee isn't that good for me, even if I don't drink a lot of it.

But it can certainly be another thing too, as I react to many different foods, as I said. ;)

Well... reporting back on this. I now think it might be another thing...

I stopped drinking coffee and the symptoms persisted. I'm having headaches and sinus inflammation all the time now, it's starting to feel as previous to quitting gluten and dairy, though the migraines and sinus inflammation symptoms are not as strong and uncomfortable as in those times. I'm also noticing that my mood is somehow altered, I'm more "hyperactive" as before, and I'm also feeling some fatigue and lack of energy.

Psyche said:
Andrian said:
i found this thread and after reading your posts i started to realize that since i drink daily a pretty strong coffee ,maybe my allergic reaction is in part because of that ?

Maybe, but it is more probably related with the bread and nutella you are having. Allergies never calm down unless there is zero molecules of gluten in the body disturbing the immune system.

I have really bad allergies all my life and it was only after removing gluten and dairy that there was a significant change. I have had coffee any now and then with no ill effects, on the contrary, a little boost and better bowel movements that leads to an overall wellness feeling. If I overdo the coffee, my adrenals and health resent, so it is one of those things were I have to find a balance.

Yesterday, I had one of these migraines early in the morning so I did some pipe-breathing (it really helps with migraines ;D) and I kind of "asked" my body for some clues about what might be causing this. In the evening the though of gluten came to my mind. Strange because I discarded that possibility since I'm gluten free for almost 3 years now... But, thinking better, there's a chance that my symptoms are related to a possible hidden source of gluten coming from something that I am eating. Lately, I've been eating outside more often, and also added some other elements in my diet after a period of time having mostly meet and fat with some spices like turmeric and cinnamon during which I felt great.

I, like Psyche, had very bad allergies all my life that have just improved since I stopped eating dairy and gluten. And I have found that I'm very sensitive to those two things...

So... I guess I will avoid eating outside again and eliminate some possible hidden sources of gluten in the ingredients I use for cooking :)

Regarding coffee. My mother found a local coffee maker and they grind it in front of you. So I think it's a good option for now and then...

Acid Yazz said:
Yesterday, I had one of these migraines early in the morning so I did some pipe-breathing (it really helps with migraines ;D) and I kind of "asked" my body for some clues about what might be causing this. In the evening the though of gluten came to my mind. Strange because I discarded that possibility since I'm gluten free for almost 3 years now... But, thinking better, there's a chance that my symptoms are related to a possible hidden source of gluten coming from something that I am eating. Lately, I've been eating outside more often, and also added some other elements in my diet after a period of time having mostly meet and fat with some spices like turmeric and cinnamon during which I felt great.

Every time I have to eat outside, my health resents it. If I do it once in awhile, it is okay. It is the vegetable oil that they use or re-use or something like that. I recall the story of a celiac woman who tested positive for gluten antibodies even though she was strictly gluten free. When she stopped reheating her meals in a microwave where gluten containing foods were heated right before, her antibodies finally tested negative. Kind of a nightmare to stay gluten-free when you have to eat outside, eh?

FWIW, I know someone whose migraines stopped the minute he stopped using his smartphone. He told me that even though his lifestyle (and diet) has been pretty atrocious, surprisingly enough he hasn't had migraines. It made me view all the EMF pollution in a new light. But yeah, there are many factors involved for each one of us.

Psyche said:
Acid Yazz said:

Every time I have to eat outside, my health resents it. If I do it once in awhile, it is okay. It is the vegetable oil that they use or re-use or something like that. I recall the story of a celiac woman who tested positive for gluten antibodies even though she was strictly gluten free. When she stopped reheating her meals in a microwave where gluten containing foods were heated right before, her antibodies finally tested negative. Kind of a nightmare to stay gluten-free when you have to eat outside, eh?
I've wondered if it's not only the oils, but the quality/source of the meat as well.

Psyche said:
Andrian said:

I'm still having problems with leaving behind gluten products(bread sometimes cookies) and sugar now I'm not consuming a lot(sugar) like 2-3 years ago but still i have to cut it out : gluten,sugar,dairy,its time to take care of my diet more seriously.

Psyche said:
Acid Yazz said:

FWIW, I know someone whose migraines stopped the minute he stopped using his smartphone. He told me that even though his lifestyle (and diet) has been pretty atrocious, surprisingly enough he hasn't had migraines. It made me view all the EMF pollution in a new light. But yeah, there are many factors involved for each one of us.

Yes. I thought about the vegetable oils as well because they use them a lot here and I have had reactions to it before. They come mostly in my skin. And my skin hasn't been that well lately.

And I also thought it might be the EMF, because I still use Wi-Fi from my cellphone for the internet connection. I'm solving that now. Tomorrow I'll have another service installed ;)

It's very interesting that you mentioned the microwave thing because I have been eating at a friend's house who obviously eats gluten and we have been heating my food in his microwave... so... it might be another thing to add... :/

truth seeker said:
I've wondered if it's not only the oils, but the quality/source of the meat as well.

The meat is often from pastured cows here (even though they do feed them with some soy or corn... :/ But there are many farmers who grow them mostly on grass as it is cheaper...) So I guess it's not THAT bad... not ideal though. I generally buy my meat from a smallholder in the countryside. ;)

BTW... I think I accidentally pressed the "report to moderators" bottom on Psyche's message... I'm sorry! :/ :-[

Megan said:
I have been buying Whole Foods Market's Allegro brand, looking specifically for varieties that are organic and fair trade. Bulletproof Exec's "Upgraded Coffee" is rumored to be pretty good too, although I haven't tried it.

Yes, I tried the BulletProof Exec Upgraded Coffee and to me it is great quality coffee. Also, the mixture of coffee, grass-fed butter and MCT oil (which I have been doing every morning and some afternoons for a month now) is a creamy-coffee-lover-who-has-quit-dairy's dream come true. The taste it great with no redical energy spikes (high or low). I highly recommend trying it.

Here is the recipe on the BulletProof Exec site: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

There they also talk about what great quality coffee is with regards to toxins that come from mold (mycotoxins).

They do also sell Upgraded Cacao butter which I have tried in the coffee as well. It is good, but I don't like it as much as without.

Here is a recent article from the Vital Choice seafood folks (with some references) on the potential benefits of coffee/tea:

_http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/articlesView.asp?id=2078&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Buzzy+Drinks+Show+More+Benefits&utm_content=09%2F16%2F2013&utm_campaign=Coffee+%26+Caffeine+for+Liver+%26+Prostate+Health+%E2%9C%AF+FREE+Bonuses+%E2%9C%AF+Recipe+Video%3A+Baked+Cilantro+Citrus+Halibut+%E2%9C%AF+MORE

Coffee and Tea Aid Livers and Prostate
Caffeine may help prevent fatty liver; Coffee confirmed as a curb on prostate cancer
9/16/2013By Craig Weatherby

Health pundits have long denigrated coffee as devilish and acclaimed tea as angelic.

But – like other beliefs based on a faddish affinity for East Asian traditions – that divide has dissolved into an evidence-free distraction.

We reported some of the growing good news about coffee and caffeine previously … see the Cocoa, Tea & Coffee section of our news archive.

Two new studies add to growing evidence that the caffeine and polyphenol-type antioxidants in coffee and tea provide separate and overlapping health benefits.

Prior signs that coffee may deter prostate cancer
Two years ago, Harvard researchers reported their discovery of a link between higher coffee intake and lower risk of prostate cancer (Wilson KM et al. 2011).

Men who drank six or more cups per day were 18 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer compared with non-drinkers, and were 60 percent less likely to develop metastatic/lethal prostate cancer.

(High coffee consumption was not linked to a lower risk of early or low-grade cancers and was only weakly associated with a lower risk for uncommon, aggressive, “high-grade” cancer.)

The risk reductions were similar for drinkers of regular or decaf coffee, so, as the authors concluded, “The association appears to be related to non-caffeine components of coffee.” (Wilson KM et al. 2011)

By “non-caffeine components of coffee”, the authors meant polyphenol compounds, which are commonly called antioxidants.

However, the proven antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of polyphenols in the human body are indirect, and stem from their beneficial “nutrigenomic” influence on people’s genes.

Now, the results of a U.S.-Dutch study in men diagnosed with prostate cancer suggest that men who drink more than four cups of coffee a day are 59 percent less likely see their cancer recur and/or progress, compared with those who drink only one or fewer cups per week.

New U.S.-Dutch study sees coffee deterring prostate cancer
Researchers from the U.S. and the Netherlands report encouraging news for coffee lovers.

A team led by Dr. Janet Stanford from Seattle’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Milan Geybels of Holland's Maastricht University led the study.

Their team recruited 1,001 prostate cancer survivors who were aged 35-74 years when they were diagnosed (Geybels MS et al. 2013).

Participating men were asked to recount their diet and beverage habits during the two years before their diagnosis, as well as their demographic (age, education, etc.) and lifestyle information, family history of cancer, use of medications, and more.

The researchers contacted the prostate cancer patients more than five years after diagnosis to see whether their cancer had recurred and/or progressed.

All told, 630 men answered questions regarding coffee intake, fit the follow-up criteria, and were included in the final analysis.

Of those, 61 percent consumed at least one cup of coffee per day and 12 percent consumed four or more cups per day.

The U.S.-Dutch analysis showed that men who drank four or more cups of coffee per day experienced a 59 percent drop in the risk of prostate cancer recurrence and/or progression, compared with patients who drank one cup or less per week.

The study included too few men who died of prostate cancer to allow a meaningful conclusion about coffee’s ability to reduce the risk of dying from prostate cancer.

This international study had advantages over previous ones – such as the 2011 Harvard study described above – because the authors gathered detailed data on prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels, secondary treatment for prostate cancer, and the results of scans and biopsies.

Access to such unusually detailed data allowed the authors to determine whether a patient showed evidence of prostate cancer recurrence or progression.

The U.S.-Dutch team proposed that coffee’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects – produced by polyphenols – reduce the risk of recurrence or progression of prostate cancer.

They cautioned that men with hypertension should probably not drink four or more cups of regular coffee daily – due the blood-pressure-raising effects of caffeine – while other components in regular and decaf coffee (e.g., organic acids) may raise blood cholesterol levels in some men.

Caffeine deters fatty liver disease
An international team led by Duke University scientists linked higher intakes of caffeine with reduced risk of fatty liver in people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

Worldwide, 70 percent of people diagnosed with diabetes and obesity have NAFLD, which is the major cause of fatty liver not caused by excessive alcohol consumption.

Excessive consumption of fructose, which – unlike glucose – is processed in the liver and is linked to increased risk for NAFLD.

(Both cane sugar and high-fructose corn syrup consist of one molecule each of glucose and fructose.)

Almost one in three American adults have NAFLD, for which diet and exercise remain the only effective treatments.

The study authors report that caffeine stimulated the metabolization (burning or excretion) of lipids (fats) stored in human liver cells, and lowered fat levels in mice fed a high-fat diet (Sinha RA et al. 2013).

Their findings suggest that consuming the amount of caffeine in of four cups of coffee or tea daily may help prevent NAFLD and/or protect against its progression.

The team said this research could serve as a starting point for studies on the full benefits of caffeine.

The study was supported by funding from Singapore’s Agency for Science, Technology, and Research.

Sources

Basaranoglu M, Basaranoglu G, Sabuncu T, Sentürk H. Fructose as a key player in the development of fatty liver disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Feb 28;19(8):1166-72. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v19.i8.1166.
Duke University (DU). Coffee and Tea May Contribute to a Healthy Liver. August 16, 2013 Accessed at http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/
Geybels MS, Neuhouser ML, Wright JL, Stott-Miller M, Stanford JL. Coffee and tea consumption in relation to prostate cancer prognosis. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Aug 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Jang HH, Park MY, Kim HW, Lee YM, Hwang KA, Park JH, Park DS, Kwon O. Black rice (Oryza sativa L.) extract attenuates hepatic steatosis in C57BL/6 J mice fed a high-fat diet via fatty acid oxidation. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2012 Mar 30;9(1):27. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-9-27.
Panchal SK, Wong WY, Kauter K, Ward LC, Brown L. Caffeine attenuates metabolic syndrome in diet-induced obese rats. Nutrition. 2012 Oct;28(10):1055-62. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2012.02.013. Epub 2012 Jun 19.
Sinha RA, Farah BL, Singh BK, Siddique MM, Li Y, Wu Y, Ilkayeva OR, Gooding J, Ching J, Zhou J, Martinez L, Xie S, Bay BH, Summers SA, Newgard CB, Yen PM. Caffeine stimulates hepatic lipid metabolism via autophagy-lysosomal pathway. Hepatology. 2013 Aug 8. doi: 10.1002/hep.26667. [Epub ahead of print]
Skop V, Cahová M, Papáčková Z, Páleníčková E, Daňková H, Baranowski M, Zabielski P, Zdychová J, Zídková J, Kazdová L. Autophagy-lysosomal pathway is involved in lipid degradation in rat liver. Physiol Res. 2012 Jul 20;61(3):287-97. Epub 2012 Apr 5.
Wilson KM, Kasperzyk JL, Rider JR, Kenfield S, van Dam RM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, Mucci LA. Coffee consumption and prostate cancer risk and progression in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 Jun 8;103(11):876-84. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djr151. Epub 2011 May 17.

kevin2themystic said:
Megan said:
I have been buying Whole Foods Market's Allegro brand, looking specifically for varieties that are organic and fair trade. Bulletproof Exec's "Upgraded Coffee" is rumored to be pretty good too, although I haven't tried it.

Yes, I tried the BulletProof Exec Upgraded Coffee and to me it is great quality coffee. Also, the mixture of coffee, grass-fed butter and MCT oil (which I have been doing every morning and some afternoons for a month now) is a creamy-coffee-lover-who-has-quit-dairy's dream come true. The taste it great with no redical energy spikes (high or low). I highly recommend trying it.

Here is the recipe on the BulletProof Exec site: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

There they also talk about what great quality coffee is with regards to toxins that come from mold (mycotoxins).

They do also sell Upgraded Cacao butter which I have tried in the coffee as well. It is good, but I don't like it as much as without.

heres some additional info on the BPC.

Bullet Proof coffee has many benefits which include:
- "Bulletproof Fasting is the same as intermittent fasting, except you consume a cup of Bulletproof Coffee in the morning. The healthy fats from grass-fed butter and MCT oil give you a stable current of energy that sustains you through the day. The ultra low toxin Upgraded Coffee Beans optimize brain function and fat loss with high octane caffeine. The MCT oil also serves to increase ketone production and boosts your metabolic rate by up to 12%. This drink is so filling, we’ve had clients who drank one cup of Bulletproof Coffee in the morning and didn’t feel like eating until mid afternoon. Adding extra MCT oil will promote ketogenesis (the formation of ketones) and provide more of a mental kick". - https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/

- The fat from the grass fed butter contains "less than 1g of casein protein per 100g", it also "makes a valuable addition to the diet, particularly in cases of inflammatory bowel disease, as a dietary source of butyric acid. Butyric acid is the major fatty acid fuel source for cells that line the colon and can help alleviate reduce inflammation associated with colitis and Crohn’s disease". -http://www.passion4health.com.au/blog/why-can-i-have-cheese-yoghurt-butter-but-not-milk

- The 'Brain Octane' mct oil can provide the following benefits:
"converts into energy faster than other fats or oils, delivers much needed ketones to fuel a starved brain that can no longer efficiently metabolize glucose for energy, Reduces brain fog, rebalancing the gut yeast, candida, responsible for producing 180+ toxic chemicals in the blood stream. - https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-upgraded-brain-octane/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcazaOjcZSM - In this video @3:13 dave provides information on coffee, positive and negative associations and why his is supposedly "bullet proof" :cool2:.
he provides facts such as: - "91.7% of green coffee beans contain mold. - Caffeine is an anti fungal agent that helps to protect the coffee". (which raises question for me to his previous call, if caffeine is an anti fungal agent that protects the coffee, then whats the deal with the mild?) *continue list* - "does't make you feel jittery/anxious, - strains the adrenal glands far less" (though he doesn't specify how much his coffee does stress the adrenal glands :cool2: ..) *continue list* - "Inflammation, joint and muscle soreness is not induced by BPC, - BPC doesn't make you pee after drinking" he then says "if you need to pee half an hour after drinking coffee its due to the Ochratoxin the coffee contains".

*Personal note*: I have been on the Bullet Proof coffee, often in conjunction with intermittent fasting and carbohydrate back loading after mid afternoon work out twice a week. It does feel really good in the body though take care with the amount of mct oil you use as starting with a tea spoon a day is recommended, I was too keen had 2 tablespoons in a day leading to mild acetylcholine toxicity and messed with the function of my lymphatic system. I feel many benefits from the coffee though I do notice a seemingly manipulative edge to dave.

malachi said:
... he provides facts such as: - "91.7% of green coffee beans contain mold. - Caffeine is an anti fungal agent that helps to protect the coffee". (which raises question for me to his previous call, if caffeine is an anti fungal agent that protects the coffee, then whats the deal with the mild?) ...

Here: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/100-coffee-titan-dan-cox-on-caffeine-coffee-and-mycotoxins-podcast/ Dave does a podcast with Dan Cox who is quite the expert on coffee and import/export. He said that a good roaster contracts import of beans subject to mycotoxin (mold) testing both prior- and post-shipping in multiple areas of the shipment. If the contract level of mycotoxin is exceeded, then the roaster refuses the beans. The importer will sell these beans at discount to less reputable roasters. He was suggesting that you should know and trust your roaster/provider. He had good things to say about Pete's coffee as a roaster.

Looks like a great idea - would love an excuse to have healthy coffee. However, I best wait for the thumbs up here as I could well have missed something important.

Re the Brain Octane:

Ingredients:

Contains 8-carbon medium-chain triglycerides from coconut and/or palm kernel.

I didn't think we were meant to have this. (The Palm kernal). Maybe I am wrong.
Nor do I know what the 8 carbon medium-chain triglycerides contain ( though I do admit that I haven't watched all videos yet).
So if it is more powerful than coconut oil what is boosting it?

On another note I have noticed that I am starting to rely very heavily on food and health products that I cannot get here. Also in another thread (Alois Irlmaier Prophecies), the mention of only being able to can with tin? cans and not glass, or they would get contaminated. Is this so?

Problem being, it is nice for now but WTSHTF we can be left high and dry for relying on outside source. But maybe we will be so healthy and in ketosis by then that we would have a better chance of survival with what we can find. FWIW

Edit: added the palm kernal for clarity

Wow, this thread is an eye-opener :)!

Although i have been on the full keto diet for more than 1 year - i have not stopped drinking coffee, and have only cut down to 1 cup every morning, because i have read as well various articles about the health benefits of coffee.

After reading this thread, I'm now convinced to experiment and switch to tea to see the effects - thanks Gandalf !

Back
Top Bottom