Is Coffee Good or Bad for you?

A recent SCD Lifestyle podcast with Dave Asprey (bulletproof coffee) contains much information. I think it is worth a listen as a source of ideas for further experimentation, if you are interested in the subject.

One comment I recall is that if coffee upsets your stomach, it could be due to mold toxins. The main topics are listed below.

Are Coffee & Fat Helpful or Harmful for Your Gut?
_http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/11/are-coffee-fat-helpful-or-harmful-for-your-gut-podcast-50

05:23 Butyric acid’s profound healing of the gut

12:01 Can dairy sensitive people handle butter?

17:52 What is MCT oil? And how to tell good quality…

22:43 When the gut is really inflamed what fat is easiest to digest?

27:18 Coffee cross reacting with wheat and causing problems?

36:02 Low acid coffees, roast styles and creating easy to drink coffee

40:57 Fat based toxins and the genetic link that some of us struggle with

44:26 Dave’s 3 tests for foods he eats

This is my first post except for my newbie post. If I do something inappropriate, please let me know. Responding to buttered Earl Grey tea, I like mine with coconut oil.

zim said:
How do you take it? I mean what is the recipe you use to eat the cocoa with stevia? :)

It was just cocoa in some coconut milk sweetened with stevia. As it happens, bad combination for me and for a lot of people who are sensitive to the coconut milk.

Psyche said:
zim said:
How do you take it? I mean what is the recipe you use to eat the cocoa with stevia? :)

It was just cocoa in some coconut milk sweetened with stevia. As it happens, bad combination for me and for a lot of people who are sensitive to the coconut milk.

Is this coconut milk containing guar gum as a "stabilizer?" Guar gum can actually be a useful supplement for some people, or so says Chris Kresser, but it can be bad for others, and buying it in BPA-treated cans is not a good idea at all.

_http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

Just to say that I am taking a tea (Yogi) and put ghee in it and it is simply delicious! How come I did not try it before? Tomorrow I will put ecological butter to see the difference.

Psyche said:
zim said:

Ohh I see, I don't like coconut milk I used to drink almond but it damage my stomach, so There is not a good substitute to make drinks? either fruits (now in KD),limon ????? how we can drink beverages without carbs????

Zim
how we can drink beverages without carbs????

Sparkling mineral water with pure essence oils like lemon, peppermint, sweetened with stevia or xylatol are very refreshing.

Hot drinks are pretty much flavored teas with butter (or the ultra high-fat cream if you can tolerate it--I cannot) and sweetener unless you are also/still drinking coffee.

Again, we pretty much evolved to drink water, so the above are just flavor variations of water. Milk or milk substitutes, beer and wine, and juices (essentially coconut water) are really thin food.

shellycheval said:
Zim
how we can drink beverages without carbs????

Sparkling mineral water with pure essence oils like lemon, peppermint, sweetened with stevia or xylatol are very refreshing.

Hot drinks are pretty much flavored teas with butter (or the ultra high-fat cream if you can tolerate it--I cannot) and sweetener unless you are also/still drinking coffee.

Again, we pretty much evolved to drink water, so the above are just flavor variations of water. Milk or milk substitutes, beer and wine, and juices (essentially coconut water) are really thin food.

Thanks Shellycheval

I drink black tea without stevia, I like the taste of the black tea alone :P, sometimes I made water with lemon which is good for my body very refreshing, I don't drink coffee about 2 years ago, either wine, milk or sugar juices they are so evil for my body !!! :)

I've learn that each time I ate something and had " some evil ingredient inside" my body reacted immediately :barf: feeling very bad for at least a week, so I needed to carry all my food and beverages everywhere, it is very stressful for my job!!!!
Sometimes I don't want eat anything for the fear that I will feel sick again!!!! There were moments that I choose the food in a restaurant that didn't have "anything evil" and surprise!!!! :( It had been test and error for me!!!! :cry:

zim said:
...I've learn that each time I ate something and had " some evil ingredient inside" my body reacted immediately :barf: feeling very bad for at least a week, so I needed to carry all my food and beverages everywhere, it is very stressful for my job!!!!
Sometimes I don't want eat anything for the fear that I will feel sick again!!!! There were moments that I choose the food in a restaurant that didn't have "anything evil" and surprise!!!! :( It had been test and error for me!!!! :cry:

When you eliminate the bad stuff you can become hypersensitive to it, even if you didn't appear to be before. It would not be healthy to not want to eat anything, but you can certainly use the bad reactions as incentive not to go back to what you were eating before.

Megan said:
zim said:
...I've learn that each time I ate something and had " some evil ingredient inside" my body reacted immediately :barf: feeling very bad for at least a week, so I needed to carry all my food and beverages everywhere, it is very stressful for my job!!!!

When you eliminate the bad stuff you can become hypersensitive to it, even if you didn't appear to be before. It would not be healthy to not want to eat anything, but you can certainly use the bad reactions as incentive not to go back to what you were eating before.

Megan, a quick thank you for posting that... I had forgotten and was trying to rack my brain as to what other people have experienced.

I too have been having hard core reactions to "food" items that I could barely notice reacting to before (and thought i was going crazy). Pain is a good teacher, is all I have to say on that one.

In my case, I get delayed headaches on the next day.

Thanks Megan
Yes, its amazing how the body talk to us!!! :P

For those of you who like Rooibos tea, notice how it is really not recommended for those with estrogen dominance and sluggish livers. Haven't seen any other data about it, but I'm not surprised considering it is a powerful plant.

South Africa's Redbush Tea

_http://earthclinic.com/Herbs/rooibos-tea.html

From its natural range in a small corner of South Africa, Aspalathus linearis has found its way over really just a few years to grocery shelves around the world. Harvested for its leaves just like green or black tea, the Rooibos or "redbush" plant is actually a legume adapted to arid climates. Its leaves are annually harvested and allowed to oxidize in heaps, just as with traditional tea (camellia), but the resulting red tea is naturally caffeine-free and offers rare antioxidants as well as quercetin, a number of other phenols, and several volatile oils.

While this locally treasured tea has been more broadly known since the 17th and 18th centuries, it may have been a South African woman, Annique Theron, who made the plant and its products genuinely popular by publishing a book in 1974 that extolled the health benefits children and adults could derive from Aspalathus linearis, particularly in the relief of allergies and skin conditions. Today, you can not only find Rooibos Tea in all sorts of varieties but also rooibos and its components in skin care and other health products.

Health Benefits of Rooibos

The medicinal components of Rooibos tea are especially valued as anti-inflammatory agents and antioxidants, both of which are critical to everyone's health. More specifically, Rooibos is valued as a natural remedy for acne, various other skin conditions, as part of a diet to prevent or mitigate diabetic conditions, and even as a potential cancer prevention remedy.

Skin Care: Specifically, Rooibos is promoted as an acne treatment with both internal and external usage reducing the prevalence of acne outbreaks. Similarly, it is sometimes used to treat psoriasis, diaper rash, general dermatitis, and other skin conditions where inflammation can be a central issue.

Diabetes: Diabetics may want to look into Rooibos as well for reduction of diabetic symptoms. Lab studies have shown the tea to have positive effects on both hypoglycemia and in reducing the negative effects of high blood sugar levels.

Caution: Major components of Rooibos tea are metabolized in the liver, so this herbal remedy is not recommended for those with compromised liver function. Additionally, Rooibos may have some limited estrogenic effects, which may be contra-indicated for those with estrogen-related cancers or other hormone-sensitive conditions.

Resources and Studies

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center - Rooibos Tea medical overview

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533719/ - Rooibos Tea reduces oxidative damage to the brain.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2871121/ - Polyphenols in Rooibos Tea modulate carbohydrate metabolism/blood glucose levels, reduce diabetes conditions.

A noble quest for those wishing to get off coffee and I salute you.
Still, this is one addiction I love and will protect :)

Trouble is, coffee is the most heavily sprayed crop on earth and the biggest commodity after oil. So lots of deforestation in the AGRI-SWILL non-organic, non shade-grown variety.

I personally feel that organic is essential (and fair-trade or otherwise fairly compensated coffee is ideal). Certified bird-friendly is a great thing, as the tremendous deforestation caused by corporate sun grown coffee plantations is causing horrific loss of biodiversity. Shade grown, bird-friendly also provides a habitat for local and migrating birds and other critters.

Re: Coffee bad aswell?

I love this product and it has worked miracles on my knees. Great for so many things.. can't imagine it as a tasty drink though.. what do you do to it to make it tasty?

Fwiw, I quite enjoy Natural Calm, and you can make it as a hot drink:

_http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/
[/quote]

Ripred
I personally feel that organic is essential (and fair-trade or otherwise fairly compensated coffee is ideal). Certified bird-friendly is a great thing, as the tremendous deforestation caused by corporate sun grown coffee plantations is causing horrific loss of biodiversity. Shade grown, bird-friendly also provides a habitat for local and migrating birds and other critters.

Could you please recommend some particular brands that meet the above criteria?
thanks,
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom