Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

Keit said:
Incidentally, today I read the following interview of Dr. Andy Roark, a very passionate, compassionate, and funny veterinarian. In the interview he shares stories and insights that I think could be also helpful in this case, or to anyone who is looking to not only do something they love, but also help people.
_http://catalystvets.com/an-interview-with-an-inspirational-servant-leader-dr-andy-roark/

That was ineteresting Keit. I had never heard of him before.

Some great responses in the posts above. I would suggest you have a good look at the course didactics at the universities around you to give you a feel for the course content. Also have a look at the end point and see what sort of jobs are available to you as a new grad-it's noble to want to be able to help people but it's truly frustrating to be educated and not have the ability of applying that knowledge through work/employment. You definitely want to avoid the
'Before Uni, chopping wood fetching water (ie working in a warehouse)
After Uni (4 years +debt), chopping wood fetching water (working in a warehouse)' :D

Added: and to answer your two questions in the thread's title-
No, it's never too late;
There is a point if it's something you would truly LOVE to do :)

I would second what Arwenn said, and add to try to find grads of the courses you want to take to see how they fared. If going to a college really take a look at their track record. Call prospective employers to see if they will hire you once graduated. I went to college for IT in 2000, and because the college i went to was not recognized at the time, or this new course at least wasn't , i had to have work experience with my degree in order to get a job. Catch 22. It also doesn't take very long to become outdated in this field.

I have been thinking and trying to reflect on the words of everyone who has posted on this thread... I am pleased that I chose to ask this question here on the forum because all of you responses and feedback have been thought provoking and immensely helpful for me (and anyone else who may be in my position).

For a while now I have felt no motivation to participate in life, and had almost "given up and given in". That feeling cynicism toward almost everything I experience and anticipation of what may be in store for me (and everyone else) in the near future. I guess the thought of my talents going to waste because they cannot be applied in a way that may be useful for other human beings added it all as well. Throughout school, while everyone was planning their careers the only subject I ever enjoyed was drama. It has always been a 'natural talent' for me (as described by others) yet I was quite sure that I would never have the chance to be able to explore this any further, and to be able to properly apply it to life some how...

I am pleased to say that, because of the wonderful comments I have received here... - It gave me the motivation to see if there were any way I could incorporate my 'born talent' into what deeply interests me (psychology). While researching some of the routes I may be able to take after completing a degree I stumbled across something called 'Drama Therapy'. This is a therapy in which the therapist works with people who are psychologically traumatized etc and develops creative ways to deal with whatever the issue is THROUGH drama, movement and sound. As soon as I read this, it felt as if something clicked inside of me, and I truly think that THIS is how I can use my natural talents, along with the knowledge I have gained and am yet to gain. I am about to go to work just now, although I would like to reply to some of the other posts.

I will thank everyone again, deeply, from the heart. If I had not have posted this, perhaps I may have overlooked any of these possibilities. :D

if you did go to a 4 year college, you might be able to get your living expenses covered by a loan from the SLC. Or if you have good credit /cosigner, to get a student loan from a private bank which I think has better terms than a standard loan. Not sure how it works in the UK, but I'm pretty sure the school facilitates the loan, pays off themselves and reimburses you the rest of the amount for "living / school expense".

So that would allow you to quit the job you are doing, but maybe look for part time at the university.

If you aren't able to do that, then online programs is good, because it takes less of your time... and doesn't cost.

on a side note, you reminded me of a study/psychology I came across a while back called "dramaturgy".
[
this might be an interesting book : Dramaturgical analysis of social interaction

Dramaturgical analysis describes social behavior from the standpoint of the language of the theater: individuals are defined as actors and social interactions viewed as dramatic productions. . . . Although individual perspectives of dramaturgical analysis are available, no single current text providing a summary and examples of generally accepted views exist. "Dramaturgical Analysis of Social Interaction" fulfills this role, providing an outstanding review of this approach—making it crucial reading for researchers of collective behavior and students of group dynamics.

This volume begins with an introduction to and definition of the key concepts of the dramaturgical perspective. The classic categories of drama and thirty dramatic situations are discussed and applied to the analysis of social interaction. Part II examines the idea of dramatic production, reviewing such concepts as: the shared or common definition of a situation, or "actable idea"; the goal of any social interaction, or "some new meaning" or redefinition of the situation; the change in meaning of self concept necessary for actors in the process of "self-reconstruction." The final section demonstrates how the dramaturgical perspective applies to areas of social interaction such as victory celebration, ceremonies of departure and arrival, and funerals. A comprehensive bibliography of contributions to the dramaturgical approach rounds out this useful resource book. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

Nooo don't study psychology... well yeah do it if you think you may help others. I'm studying it and by doing along my research and experiments on nutrition and supplementation, now I want to drop it and study nutrition :violin: comparing the psychological problems nutritional deficiencies and diet produce, to what real emotional trauma produces, nutrition in my opinion can be much of a better therapy and option than psycho therapy. As you keep studying psychology and therapeutic techniques, is pretty much techniques and ways to sort of, introduce the person into the work, yeah the esoteric work. And what you find constantly in this career is that people may solve their problems after some sessions of therapy, and then they fall again with the same mistakes and problems somewhere else, because their psychology may not have a problem but their body, and if the body is sick all of you is sick.

Just saying, if a comet falls and destruction is all around, and you know about nutrition and supplementation and how that affects your mind, you can even raise an army of people capable of regenerating and holding themselves in between the dark flames.

Not to dismiss psychology, it is important to know your machine if you aspire to high levels of understanding and a better level of self control, but working as a practitioner of psychology in the stage of my career, the only type of people you can help is: rich hypochondriacs folks, extreme cases of abuse like constant rape, kidnapping, cases of impulsive murderers, incest in between the families that produce newborn babies and confusion, and children with learning disorders/problems (and this may be cause by a nutritional deficiency). Even the sudden rise children with depression that usually end dying is because they may have a nutritional deficiency, but they instead of addressing nutrition they use psychiatric drugs and this never helps at all, these poor children just die. So there are lots of people working on those problems, but is not easy to find doctors and nutritionist that address the problems of nutrition shared in this forum, and this can help a lot of people expanding the knowledge of nutrition and overall well being and even work as a prevention of possible future emotional and psychological trauma. This may help the people to stand still in a possible future of chaos, wars and comets :shock:

l apprenti de forgeron said:
Thank you, Chu. That was very enriching.
I have wondered this myself in several times. Why do something in these times?. For what? Know or believe that there is little time to big changes (which is likely that they bring death) reflects how miserable it can be the personality, in this case mine. Maybe, leaving a small legacy, if only to spread the truth among people interested, it helps to go beyond this personality that is identified with a physical body and a very short time of existence. So I think, Keyhole, that you must study psychology. And I say this for all here and for me: say yes to any project you undertake now that allows you to grow, learn, develop. It can be a career, or change jobs, or why not, a new love. Perhaps the intensity of these times make that saying yes to commit with a loving person (not saying complementary because that is very difficult) can become a huge adventure, simultaneously to the major changes we are experiencing. And a great love can break narcissism for love to the partner, and also break the obsession with the little time that remains. Also that romance to a lady can be expanded. The love for others in general, and love for all who ask. Perhaps Gurdjieff would say love to all who make the work. We living amazing times, and it is this generation that will see the end / beginning of the great cycle. It is a great joy from that perspective.
Thanks for all the answers, and to you Keyhole, for starting the thread.

Prometeo said:
Nooo don't study psychology... well yeah do it if you think you may help others. I'm studying it and by doing along my research and experiments on nutrition and supplementation, now I want to drop it and study nutrition :violin: comparing the psychological problems nutritional deficiencies and diet produce, to what real emotional trauma produces, nutrition in my opinion can be much of a better therapy and option than psycho therapy. As you keep studying psychology and therapeutic techniques, is pretty much techniques and ways to sort of, introduce the person into the work, yeah the esoteric work. And what you find constantly in this career is that people may solve their problems after some sessions of therapy, and then they fall again with the same mistakes and problems somewhere else, because their psychology may not have a problem but their body, and if the body is sick all of you is sick.

Just saying, if a comet falls and destruction is all around, and you know about nutrition and supplementation and how that affects your mind, you can even raise an army of people capable of regenerating and holding themselves in between the dark flames.

Not to dismiss psychology, it is important to know your machine if you aspire to high levels of understanding and a better level of self control, but working as a practitioner of psychology in the stage of my career, the only type of people you can help is: rich hypochondriacs folks, extreme cases of abuse like constant rape, kidnapping, cases of impulsive murderers, incest in between the families that produce newborn babies and confusion, and children with learning disorders/problems (and this may be cause by a nutritional deficiency). Even the sudden rise children with depression that usually end dying is because they may have a nutritional deficiency, but they instead of addressing nutrition they use psychiatric drugs and this never helps at all, these poor children just die. So there are lots of people working on those problems, but is not easy to find doctors and nutritionist that address the problems of nutrition shared in this forum, and this can help a lot of people expanding the knowledge of nutrition and overall well being and even work as a prevention of possible future emotional and psychological trauma. This may help the people to stand still in a possible future of chaos, wars and comets :shock:

It's not black and white here folks, OSIT. For instance, I just recently came over a major hurdle in my personal growth, and my diet has improved in tandem, BUT, I'm not sure I ever would have been able to improve my diet without having read some of the psychology books and participated on the forum here. It has taken a while (a few years?) to change my outlook on life through repeated efforts (which never felt like enough, I must say) as well as not-exactly-continual knowledge input - I would be "in the groove" for a while then fall out into depression, binging on sweets and video games, etc. Finally, with some help here, I emerged from a personal crisis of conscience (connected with yet another fall into games and sweets) with confidence I didn't have before, and I have given up video games and have hardly had any depression since.

It appears to me that I couldn't have improved my diet without psychological knowledge with which to fight addiction and change my unconscious narratives, yet I could not have made psychological progress if I hadn't also made efforts on diet. My first efforts in diet, in fact, were performed without proper knowledge and resulted in a health crisis that I've been living with for over a year now - this partly due to my psychological programs which caused me to "split" and think I needed to rush.

Anyway, to change the focus, I could not have made these changes without the efforts of health-oriented individuals like Dr. Lutz, Mark Hyman (even if he's no longer fully in line with our understanding here), Nora Gedgaudas, Dr. Segura, etc.; but also, psychology oriented individuals such as Martha Stout, Timothy d. Wilson, Aleta Edwards, etc.

It seemed like each time I worked to improve one, I would always slingshot backward after a while, and after a long time of this it appears that a certain synergy/balance is required, at least in my case.

So, if Keyhole is drawn to psychology, what's the problem? I read a while back (on SOTT?) about a financial advisor who always recommends that people invest in their health as a top priority, because health is so vital to success and happiness in life. Why couldn't a psychologist or therapist do the same?

Anyway, this is an interesting thread that is relevant to me as well. Thanks to everyone for the discussion!

[Added:]
The following quote from the C's came to mind as I was reading this thread. Maybe not 100% relevant, but the bold section was the phrase that popped into my head:

Q: (L) ... I have been seeing things so completely differently lately. I even see that you have given all sorts of clues about this that just went over my head...

A: Laura, please learn just to trust your expanding insights. They will bring you to ever increasing knowledge and
ability. But, you want us to lead you by the hand. All this can do is ultimately lead this channel and conduit
into an STS vehicle!

Q: (L) That is not what I am trying to do here! I am trying to expand on a learning experience to help other people.

A: You have the ability to do that all on your own!! Cannot you see this yet?

Q: (L) I am still in the process of making major changes in my life based on such insights...

A: And, how do you feel when you make a decision to make one of these changes?

Q: (L) It hurts to make some decisions, even if I feel that it is the right thing to do. It can be painful and scary.

A: Relief?

Q: (L) Definitely relief!

Q: (L) This recent 'awakening' or period of seeing things with such clarity, as they really were, and the whole
picture of the interactions between people and how truly ugly it can be. I plunged into a terrible depression. I
needed to get my balance from seeing so much all at once. Can you explain to me what was going on?

A: Growth.

Q: (L) I tried to share this perception with other people, and almost without exception, when I said to people that I
was finally seeing things in their true state and it was NOT a pretty picture, they all said "well, you are
obviously seeing this through the eyes of some major spirit possession!" Why would they say this?

A: First of all, it is not correct to perceive "everything in such darkness and gloom, etc." That is merely the result
of a cocoon of falsehood being removed. Celebrate the balance. Don't mourn the death of an illusion of an
imbalance.

Q: (L) Where do I go from here? Where do we all go?

A: Everywhere.

It is never too late to start anything. My father is 45 now and after he is still studying; now he applied and is a student in an University of Sciences(Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, Engineering). When I was having bad grades in high school and he was the first student in his class(a few years ago) he used to motivate me by just seeing how much he was into what he was doing.

I think you should do it, if you really feel like. Life is full of surprises. Who knows what you will get with. And when you have a real enjoynment of what you are doing you will also be inclined to discover and even invent more for the ones who need real help.

wetroof said:
if you did go to a 4 year college, you might be able to get your living expenses covered by a loan from the SLC. Or if you have good credit /cosigner, to get a student loan from a private bank which I think has better terms than a standard loan. Not sure how it works in the UK, but I'm pretty sure the school facilitates the loan, pays off themselves and reimburses you the rest of the amount for "living / school expense".

So that would allow you to quit the job you are doing, but maybe look for part time at the university.

If you aren't able to do that, then online programs is good, because it takes less of your time... and doesn't cost.

on a side note, you reminded me of a study/psychology I came across a while back called "dramaturgy".
[
this might be an interesting book : Dramaturgical analysis of social interaction

Dramaturgical analysis describes social behavior from the standpoint of the language of the theater: individuals are defined as actors and social interactions viewed as dramatic productions. . . . Although individual perspectives of dramaturgical analysis are available, no single current text providing a summary and examples of generally accepted views exist. "Dramaturgical Analysis of Social Interaction" fulfills this role, providing an outstanding review of this approach—making it crucial reading for researchers of collective behavior and students of group dynamics.

This volume begins with an introduction to and definition of the key concepts of the dramaturgical perspective. The classic categories of drama and thirty dramatic situations are discussed and applied to the analysis of social interaction. Part II examines the idea of dramatic production, reviewing such concepts as: the shared or common definition of a situation, or "actable idea"; the goal of any social interaction, or "some new meaning" or redefinition of the situation; the change in meaning of self concept necessary for actors in the process of "self-reconstruction." The final section demonstrates how the dramaturgical perspective applies to areas of social interaction such as victory celebration, ceremonies of departure and arrival, and funerals. A comprehensive bibliography of contributions to the dramaturgical approach rounds out this useful resource book. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

This book sounds very interesting and I will look forward to reading it, thank you for the suggestion Wetroof. I think this side of therapy holds many possibilities for the future and can be developed. Something like this is individual to every person so different methods will be more effective than others, the traditional setting of therapy may be difficult for some to adjust to. And it seems that Drama therapy may have the potential for a more interactive, flexible form of therapy that could be effective for the people who would be reluctant to go for therapy in a traditional setting.

I would think there are many more types of therapy that can be created with incorporating the Gurdjieff Work. If what the C's say is correct about more people choosing the polarize then this 'therapy' may not be directed at overt trauma survivors. But may actually be developed for people "waking up" and in the Work, attempting to highlight narcissistic traits and other false personality traits. These are just ideas, who knows what is possible?

HowToBe said:
l apprenti de forgeron said:
Thank you, Chu. That was very enriching.
I have wondered this myself in several times. Why do something in these times?. For what? Know or believe that there is little time to big changes (which is likely that they bring death) reflects how miserable it can be the personality, in this case mine. Maybe, leaving a small legacy, if only to spread the truth among people interested, it helps to go beyond this personality that is identified with a physical body and a very short time of existence. So I think, Keyhole, that you must study psychology. And I say this for all here and for me: say yes to any project you undertake now that allows you to grow, learn, develop. It can be a career, or change jobs, or why not, a new love. Perhaps the intensity of these times make that saying yes to commit with a loving person (not saying complementary because that is very difficult) can become a huge adventure, simultaneously to the major changes we are experiencing. And a great love can break narcissism for love to the partner, and also break the obsession with the little time that remains. Also that romance to a lady can be expanded. The love for others in general, and love for all who ask. Perhaps Gurdjieff would say love to all who make the work. We living amazing times, and it is this generation that will see the end / beginning of the great cycle. It is a great joy from that perspective.
Thanks for all the answers, and to you Keyhole, for starting the thread.

Prometeo said:

It's not black and white here folks, OSIT. For instance, I just recently came over a major hurdle in my personal growth, and my diet has improved in tandem, BUT, I'm not sure I ever would have been able to improve my diet without having read some of the psychology books and participated on the forum here. It has taken a while (a few years?) to change my outlook on life through repeated efforts (which never felt like enough, I must say) as well as not-exactly-continual knowledge input - I would be "in the groove" for a while then fall out into depression, binging on sweets and video games, etc. Finally, with some help here, I emerged from a personal crisis of conscience (connected with yet another fall into games and sweets) with confidence I didn't have before, and I have given up video games and have hardly had any depression since.

It appears to me that I couldn't have improved my diet without psychological knowledge with which to fight addiction and change my unconscious narratives, yet I could not have made psychological progress if I hadn't also made efforts on diet. My first efforts in diet, in fact, were performed without proper knowledge and resulted in a health crisis that I've been living with for over a year now - this partly due to my psychological programs which caused me to "split" and think I needed to rush.

Anyway, to change the focus, I could not have made these changes without the efforts of health-oriented individuals like Dr. Lutz, Mark Hyman (even if he's no longer fully in line with our understanding here), Nora Gedgaudas, Dr. Segura, etc.; but also, psychology oriented individuals such as Martha Stout, Timothy d. Wilson, Aleta Edwards, etc.

It seemed like each time I worked to improve one, I would always slingshot backward after a while, and after a long time of this it appears that a certain synergy/balance is required, at least in my case.

So, if Keyhole is drawn to psychology, what's the problem? I read a while back (on SOTT?) about a financial advisor who always recommends that people invest in their health as a top priority, because health is so vital to success and happiness in life. Why couldn't a psychologist or therapist do the same?

Anyway, this is an interesting thread that is relevant to me as well. Thanks to everyone for the discussion!

[Added:]
The following quote from the C's came to mind as I was reading this thread. Maybe not 100% relevant, but the bold section was the phrase that popped into my head:

Q: (L) ... I have been seeing things so completely differently lately. I even see that you have given all sorts of clues about this that just went over my head...

A: Laura, please learn just to trust your expanding insights. They will bring you to ever increasing knowledge and
ability. But, you want us to lead you by the hand. All this can do is ultimately lead this channel and conduit
into an STS vehicle!

Q: (L) That is not what I am trying to do here! I am trying to expand on a learning experience to help other people.

A: You have the ability to do that all on your own!! Cannot you see this yet?

Q: (L) I am still in the process of making major changes in my life based on such insights...

A: And, how do you feel when you make a decision to make one of these changes?

Q: (L) It hurts to make some decisions, even if I feel that it is the right thing to do. It can be painful and scary.

A: Relief?

Q: (L) Definitely relief!

Q: (L) This recent 'awakening' or period of seeing things with such clarity, as they really were, and the whole
picture of the interactions between people and how truly ugly it can be. I plunged into a terrible depression. I
needed to get my balance from seeing so much all at once. Can you explain to me what was going on?

A: Growth.

Q: (L) I tried to share this perception with other people, and almost without exception, when I said to people that I
was finally seeing things in their true state and it was NOT a pretty picture, they all said "well, you are
obviously seeing this through the eyes of some major spirit possession!" Why would they say this?

A: First of all, it is not correct to perceive "everything in such darkness and gloom, etc." That is merely the result
of a cocoon of falsehood being removed. Celebrate the balance. Don't mourn the death of an illusion of an
imbalance.

Q: (L) Where do I go from here? Where do we all go?

A: Everywhere.

With my current studies I am starting to see how important nutrition is as well and how it impacts psychology. Although nutrition is important, it is not something that I would like to study at degree level. And I don't see any reason ( as HowToBe highlighted ) why I would not be able to give "offhand" advice in conjunction with the therapy as well. I have been doing some research on courses, and have decided against the Open university. There is a course called Neuropsychology and Psychology, which is more of a science based degree which includes quite a lot more than just the standard psychology one offered at some other universities. I remember listening to the Primal body Primal mind interview on SOTTtalk radio with Nora where she spoke of neural feedback and what wondering if perhaps I would learn anything about these types of things while doing neuropsychology.

Unfortunately I messed around at college and did not get any of the grades I would have liked to, so I am considering doing an Access to Higher Education course in science/psychology which is one year long and if I work hard then can apply for a good university course starting next year. All possibilities are open, and I am feeling quite excited :D!

Brenda86 said:
The original post and several of the responses really resonate with me. I had spent an awful lot of time just worrying about everything, and it kept me completely immobile and not really participating in life, although I was blind to it for a long time.

My opinion, after going through a lot of upheaval and eventually starting a brand new course in several aspects of my own life, is that we absolutely cannot wait around for whatever is going to happen. In certain contexts, even this wonderful work here can be used as the wrong kind of escape, one that leads to inaction rather than action. I won't dwell on myself here as this is your thread Keyhole, but I believe that if you feel a drive, have a passion, and there is a possibility of some good, then it is worth doing. Do not worry about the "time" factor. Acknowledging potential (or even highly probable) catastrophe should not deter one from truly contributing to life.

This is not to say you are not participating/contributing now, of course. I am simply saying that I have found that using those kinds of things as reasons NOT to DO actually end up being more entropic than merely practical because they are based too much in fear and anticipation of specific outcomes. Just do what you love and try to enjoy the journey maybe without worrying so much where you will end up. Easier said than done, but those are my 2 cents, for what it's worth. :)

I am going to try to take all of this advice on board, as it is very easy to fall back into the depressive state and worry about what may/or may not happen - which can stop one from doing anything at all. I would agree with you Brenda86 - NOT contributing to life is actually more entropic, NOT following ones passions and interests and trying to develop and learn along the way. As long as it does not hinder the Work then it can only build upon it. There is so much than I can GIVE to the universe, and have not been doing so. University life will include debt etc, but in the big scheme of things - what does it really matter?

Hi Keyhole,

Since drama therapy is a master's, it'll take some years of undergrad study (plus a year's relevant work experience according to the University of Derby website) before you actually get to it. But the BA in Creative Expressive Therapies offered by the University of Derby appears to be in a similar vein, so you could start with that, or something like it.

This full time course is made up of three phases - PG Cert, PG Dip and MA. You will need to come in to the University one day each week, and spend up to two days each week in your clinical placement.

"As a mature student, I've found the course rejuvenating and energising."

Jim Cameron, one of our current students

"I travel up from Bristol, and it's totally worth it. It's a great opportunity to find out more about yourself and others."

Nicola Phibben, one of our current students

"I managed to fit this course around a busy schedule of work and commitments outside. It was exhausting as it challenges everything you take for granted about yourself. It was worth every second!"

Beth Pinches
, one of our current students

"As a mum of a young child, I have found the course accessible with my placements being in my local area and only needing to attend university one day a week."

Amy Woodfield, one of our current students

You can read more on the University of Derby site.

The C's said: macro-collapses take some "time." Suspicious0bservers has recently said, in his I wish I knew this when I 'Woke Up' video: "... I think indeed that earth is in for a rough future, but it will not come in a day. And it will be a slow, steady decline that we cannot stop or avoid, and which we will just helplessly watch unfold. This will take years if not decades to unfold, but our path begins now." I recommend you watch the video, because I too was gripped by end-of-the-world fear, and to a certain extent I used that to justify disengaging from the real world. I tried to deny ordinary life. After all, I was reading about aliens and conspiracies and the world going to blazes. Yet ordinary life went on. And I know now that what was asked of me was simply the expansion of my mental horizons, not the throwing out of all my common sense. I had to ground myself back in reality and that was a process.

Not the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. (As if things aren't royally screwed up even right now!)

Your choice of drama therapy reminds me of this:

[quote author=http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/books.html]Golomb notes in passing that, whenever the child of a narcissist emerges relatively unscathed, to look for art as the route of psychic self-rescue.[/quote]

And Barbara Hort, author of Unholy Hungers, runs these "Theater of the Soul" workshops.

So there might be something in combining Science with the Arts, eh? ;)

Reactions: KJS
Keyhole said:
I am pleased to say that, because of the wonderful comments I have received here... - It gave me the motivation to see if there were any way I could incorporate my 'born talent' into what deeply interests me (psychology). While researching some of the routes I may be able to take after completing a degree I stumbled across something called 'Drama Therapy'. This is a therapy in which the therapist works with people who are psychologically traumatized etc and develops creative ways to deal with whatever the issue is THROUGH drama, movement and sound. As soon as I read this, it felt as if something clicked inside of me, and I truly think that THIS is how I can use my natural talents, along with the knowledge I have gained and am yet to gain.

Muxel said:
So there might be something in combining Science with the Arts, eh? ;)

Let me add a little bit from my experience since you mentioned drama therapy. I am an art therapist, and a big fan of all Creative Arts Therapies (drama/movement/music/art therapy) because I have seen people who would not engage in any other form of therapy, to actively participate and express through these modalities, even if reserved at first. I have worked with drama therapists in various settings, and what comes out of these sessions is amazing. People who did not want to/couldn't interact with others, would be animated and play like children. But also a lot of content comes out through postures and make believe play, that the therapist and patient can address together in a non-threatening way. And it works with all populations equally well.

And if you have the theatrical talent already, and you are not concerned about "looking like a fool" ;) when working with people, it will help them also relax and let go a bit. And unlike verbal therapies, where we tell to our therapists the stories we make up in our mind about ourselves and our situation and it takes a lot of sessions for the therapist to see us beyond our narrative, in CATs it is harder to hide under such narratives. It is easier thought for our unconscious to find a form of expression, and for us to bring it into consciousness.

Who was it that said, give a man a mask and you will see his real face? :pirate: :wizard:

If you want more info to make an informed decision, here's the link to the British association of drama-therapists:

https://badth.org.uk/

Thank you, Keyhole, for starting this thread! And thank you to all who have posted responses. Like some of the others, I too have been dealing with that feeling - of not being sure what I can or should plan for myself going forward because we have some good ideas that say things will get rough here on Earth soon. With all that we hear and see on SOTT about the state of the world, it can be too easy to want to dismiss practical everyday life. Too easy to dwell on what may or may not happen and end up doing less or not much at all. I found this thread to be very helpful generally and meaningful for me. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Keyhole, it seems that you're making progress with your thoughts and feelings through this thread and that's good to see! All the best in continuing to sort this out for yourself and planning your future!

Alana said:
Let me add a little bit from my experience since you mentioned drama therapy. I am an art therapist, and a big fan of all Creative Arts Therapies (drama/movement/music/art therapy) because I have seen people who would not engage in any other form of therapy, to actively participate and express through these modalities, even if reserved at first. I have worked with drama therapists in various settings, and what comes out of these sessions is amazing. People who did not want to/couldn't interact with others, would be animated and play like children. But also a lot of content comes out through postures and make believe play, that the therapist and patient can address together in a non-threatening way. And it works with all populations equally well.

And if you have the theatrical talent already, and you are not concerned about "looking like a fool" ;) when working with people, it will help them also relax and let go a bit. And unlike verbal therapies, where we tell to our therapists the stories we make up in our mind about ourselves and our situation and it takes a lot of sessions for the therapist to see us beyond our narrative, in CATs it is harder to hide under such narratives. It is easier thought for our unconscious to find a form of expression, and for us to bring it into consciousness.

Who was it that said, give a man a mask and you will see his real face? :pirate: :wizard:

I had tentatively suspected that the Panksepp PLAY system was a great medium for working through one's issues (almost "effortlessly," even?).

From the thread:

[quote author=Dr Panksepp]
Playfulness is probably an experience-expectant process that brings young animals to the perimeter of their social knowledge, to psychic places where they must learn about what they can or cannot do to each other. Play allows animals to be woven into their social structures in effective but friendly ways. ...... Young animals readily communicate how much they enjoy these activities, partly by play vocalizations (eg 50KHz chirp in rats) that can also be induced by tickling them. ......
I would suggest that any therapist who can capture the therapeutic moment in mutually shared play episodes will have brought the client to the gateway of happy living. To the extent that the client can be held there, in both body and mind, the therapist will have offered one of the greatest emotional gifts that psychotherapy, especially child therapy, can ever provide.
[/quote]

I wasn't thinking of therapy at the time though, but the value of networks and communities where collective play - or should I say, PLAY :lol: - was an important element, or even the element that brought them together in the first place.

Alana said:

Hi, I wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this post, I too have found it insightful and inspiring, giving me the kick up the bum I needed to evaluate my job and prospects. Alana I am considering to go down the route of Art therapy, I was wondering did you do an art and design degree and then the art therapy masters?

Thorn said:
Hi, I wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this post, I too have found it insightful and inspiring, giving me the kick up the bum I needed to evaluate my job and prospects. Alana I am considering to go down the route of Art therapy, I was wondering did you do an art and design degree and then the art therapy masters?

I had already started a psychology degree before I found out what I wanted to do for a Master's, and when I knew, I checked the Master program's requirements and started adding art courses in my curriculum as well through electives, to fulfill the criteria. But that is something that is easily done in American universities, I think the curriculum is not as flexible in European universities. Some of my classmates with arts/design degrees had to take some undergraduate psychology courses before enrolling in the Masters. If I were you, I would contact the chair of the AT department you are interested in, and ask what are the Bachelor's pre-requisites for entering their program.

Back
Top Bottom