Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

Muxel said:
I had tentatively suspected that the Panksepp PLAY system was a great medium for working through one's issues (almost "effortlessly," even?).

From the thread:

[quote author=Dr Panksepp]
Playfulness is probably an experience-expectant process that brings young animals to the perimeter of their social knowledge, to psychic places where they must learn about what they can or cannot do to each other. Play allows animals to be woven into their social structures in effective but friendly ways. ...... Young animals readily communicate how much they enjoy these activities, partly by play vocalizations (eg 50KHz chirp in rats) that can also be induced by tickling them. ......
I would suggest that any therapist who can capture the therapeutic moment in mutually shared play episodes will have brought the client to the gateway of happy living. To the extent that the client can be held there, in both body and mind, the therapist will have offered one of the greatest emotional gifts that psychotherapy, especially child therapy, can ever provide.
[/quote]

Yes, the above quote is true for all CATs (creative arts therapies) especially in group settings. The playing together part, brings people closer and allows to experiment with each other, learning to express themselves and their feelings, their thoughts about each other, in a safe setting, which helps them later take it with them and apply it to their real life interactions.

davey72 said:
I would second what Arwenn said, and add to try to find grads of the courses you want to take to see how they fared. If going to a college really take a look at their track record. Call prospective employers to see if they will hire you once graduated. I went to college for IT in 2000, and because the college i went to was not recognized at the time, or this new course at least wasn't , i had to have work experience with my degree in order to get a job. Catch 22. It also doesn't take very long to become outdated in this field.

Indeed. The IT field is constantly changing and updating (and expensive). It was interesting to see how that evolved over time.

I'm currently in an IT field (specifically working with data networking and IP telephony), where I personally didn't want to be. I spent years trying to find jobs working in a library, where I really want to work to be, but that failed. So, I ended up getting a temp job in a telecommunications/data networking where I had grown to enjoy the work and learned a lot. Then, I was pressured into studying for an IT exam, which was hardest that I ever studied for, especially doing something I don't like to do. I learnt recently of changing my approaches to studying and finding out what works best, and adding more depth to my breadth of knowledge. As a result, I passed the exam and became certified.

Now, after talking to a co-worker in HR a few days ago; since I achieved a permanent status from temporary a few months ago, I'm eligible to take free courses at my university, where I can plan out a path to go for a Master's in Library Science as long as I work there. That alone was exciting. Unexpected but very exciting. Learning the tools and knowledge in one field are useful to be applied to any aspect of one's life and for other field(s).

Alana said:
I had already started a psychology degree before I found out what I wanted to do for a Master's, and when I knew, I checked the Master program's requirements and started adding art courses in my curriculum as well through electives, to fulfill the criteria. But that is something that is easily done in American universities, I think the curriculum is not as flexible in European universities. Some of my classmates with arts/design degrees had to take some undergraduate psychology courses before enrolling in the Masters. If I were you, I would contact the chair of the AT department you are interested in, and ask what are the Bachelor's pre-requisites for entering their program.

I agree with the above. Actually, that's what I did when I was in college(s) and it's helpful to plan out what you would need to take and learn.

Muxel said:
Hi Keyhole,

Since drama therapy is a master's, it'll take some years of undergrad study (plus a year's relevant work experience according to the University of Derby website) before you actually get to it. But the BA in Creative Expressive Therapies offered by the University of Derby appears to be in a similar vein, so you could start with that, or something like it.

This full time course is made up of three phases - PG Cert, PG Dip and MA. You will need to come in to the University one day each week, and spend up to two days each week in your clinical placement.

"As a mature student, I've found the course rejuvenating and energising."

Jim Cameron, one of our current students

"I travel up from Bristol, and it's totally worth it. It's a great opportunity to find out more about yourself and others."

Nicola Phibben, one of our current students

"I managed to fit this course around a busy schedule of work and commitments outside. It was exhausting as it challenges everything you take for granted about yourself. It was worth every second!"

Beth Pinches
, one of our current students

"As a mum of a young child, I have found the course accessible with my placements being in my local area and only needing to attend university one day a week."

Amy Woodfield, one of our current students

You can read more on the University of Derby site.

The C's said: macro-collapses take some "time." Suspicious0bservers has recently said, in his I wish I knew this when I 'Woke Up' video: "... I think indeed that earth is in for a rough future, but it will not come in a day. And it will be a slow, steady decline that we cannot stop or avoid, and which we will just helplessly watch unfold. This will take years if not decades to unfold, but our path begins now." I recommend you watch the video, because I too was gripped by end-of-the-world fear, and to a certain extent I used that to justify disengaging from the real world. I tried to deny ordinary life. After all, I was reading about aliens and conspiracies and the world going to blazes. Yet ordinary life went on. And I know now that what was asked of me was simply the expansion of my mental horizons, not the throwing out of all my common sense. I had to ground myself back in reality and that was a process.

Not the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. (As if things aren't royally screwed up even right now!)

Your choice of drama therapy reminds me of this:

Keyhole said:
I am pleased to say that, because of the wonderful comments I have received here... - It gave me the motivation to see if there were any way I could incorporate my 'born talent' into what deeply interests me (psychology). While researching some of the routes I may be able to take after completing a degree I stumbled across something called 'Drama Therapy'. This is a therapy in which the therapist works with people who are psychologically traumatized etc and develops creative ways to deal with whatever the issue is THROUGH drama, movement and sound. As soon as I read this, it felt as if something clicked inside of me, and I truly think that THIS is how I can use my natural talents, along with the knowledge I have gained and am yet to gain.

Muxel said:
So there might be something in combining Science with the Arts, eh? ;)

Let me add a little bit from my experience since you mentioned drama therapy. I am an art therapist, and a big fan of all Creative Arts Therapies (drama/movement/music/art therapy) because I have seen people who would not engage in any other form of therapy, to actively participate and express through these modalities, even if reserved at first. I have worked with drama therapists in various settings, and what comes out of these sessions is amazing. People who did not want to/couldn't interact with others, would be animated and play like children. But also a lot of content comes out through postures and make believe play, that the therapist and patient can address together in a non-threatening way. And it works with all populations equally well.

And if you have the theatrical talent already, and you are not concerned about "looking like a fool" ;) when working with people, it will help them also relax and let go a bit. And unlike verbal therapies, where we tell to our therapists the stories we make up in our mind about ourselves and our situation and it takes a lot of sessions for the therapist to see us beyond our narrative, in CATs it is harder to hide under such narratives. It is easier thought for our unconscious to find a form of expression, and for us to bring it into consciousness.

Who was it that said, give a man a mask and you will see his real face? :pirate: :wizard:

If you want more info to make an informed decision, here's the link to the British association of drama-therapists:

https://badth.org.uk/
This is brilliant news Alana, I wasn't aware that art therapists and drama therapists worked together - but I guess it makes alot of sense why they do... thank you for your professional input - I have actually been on to this website already and have also watched a few videos. There is much that can be read online about this but no one I have actually spoken to personally who is/knows a drama therapist and the CAT's are completely new to me :).

Its fascinating how we actually express ourselves through body language and posture - without being aware of it, and through therapy someone who is trained would be able to see this. I was reading an article (maybe on this forum or SOTT) about micro expressions, and the subtle ways the face changes which most of us are completely oblivious.

As for 'looking like a fool' - this is something my teachers definitely knew me for :lol:

Alana said:
Muxel said:
I had tentatively suspected that the Panksepp PLAY system was a great medium for working through one's issues (almost "effortlessly," even?).

From the thread:

[quote author=Dr Panksepp]
Playfulness is probably an experience-expectant process that brings young animals to the perimeter of their social knowledge, to psychic places where they must learn about what they can or cannot do to each other. Play allows animals to be woven into their social structures in effective but friendly ways. ...... Young animals readily communicate how much they enjoy these activities, partly by play vocalizations (eg 50KHz chirp in rats) that can also be induced by tickling them. ......
I would suggest that any therapist who can capture the therapeutic moment in mutually shared play episodes will have brought the client to the gateway of happy living. To the extent that the client can be held there, in both body and mind, the therapist will have offered one of the greatest emotional gifts that psychotherapy, especially child therapy, can ever provide.

Yes, the above quote is true for all CATs (creative arts therapies) especially in group settings. The playing together part, brings people closer and allows to experiment with each other, learning to express themselves and their feelings, their thoughts about each other, in a safe setting, which helps them later take it with them and apply it to their real life interactions.
[/quote]

I was watching a science show the other night, and it spoke of the importance of play when it came to those who had made great discoveries. They were speaking about serendipitous, and pseudo-serendipitous discoveries, and that it does not come by luck, but is a personality trait. These are people who have a wide variety of interests, and often go on tangents. They are also very playful, in that they are very curious, and explore everything they are curious about. It spoke of how this is stifled by modern science that works on grants. If you need to justify your expenditures, then you will be less likely to follow a whim.

Just an update - I chose to apply at Manchester to study an undergraduate in Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology. That is what I would like to do with my time left on this BBM :cheer: :headbanger:

How are you paying for school? If student loans, how do they work in your country? Are there forgiveness programs? Will student loans go away in the event of bankruptcy in your country?

Keyhole said:
Just an update - I chose to apply at Manchester to study an undergraduate in Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology. That is what I would like to do with my time left on this BBM :cheer: :headbanger:

Well, it's not the worst place in the world :P. Good luck.

hlat said:
How are you paying for school? If student loans, how do they work in your country? Are there forgiveness programs? Will student loans go away in the event of bankruptcy in your country?

The loans are payed off once you begin to earn above a certain threshold. They are written off if, after a certain long period of time, you don't meet this income threshold. Pretty handy actually, if you end up as a "pauper on paper".

hlat said:

Unfortunately, I'm left alone in the dark on this one :scared: My parents don't have the money to pay for me to go to university, so I am going to solely rely on student loans. What do you mean by forgiveness programs? I have to pay it back slowly if I am earning more than £21000 annually.

I dread to think what I will do if UK goes bankrupt, but I don't think I am in a much better situation at the moment anyway. All I can do is to try prep the best I can - prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Keyhole said:
What do you mean by forgiveness programs?
In the US, federal student loans can be forgiven after a certain amount of time, and monthly payments can be $0 if income is low enough. Forgiven means the loans would be zeroed out.

Carl said:
Well, it's not the worst place in the world :P. Good luck.
Well it was either Manchester or Brighton, which is right on the south coast. Somewhere I definitely don't want to be if a tsunami hits! ;D

hlat said:
Keyhole said:
What do you mean by forgiveness programs?
In the US, federal student loans can be forgiven after a certain amount of time, and monthly payments can be $0 if income is low enough. Forgiven means the loans would be zeroed out.
Ah I understand, its a similar process here. Some people leave university without being able to get a job, and do not have to pay any of the fees back. I think its roughly 30 years then the debt gets cleared.

To be honest I am actually trying not to have any set ideas about what is going to happen, with how bad things are getting now... I wouldn't be surprised if there is no UK left by next year :P

You should make 100% sure that any particular loan that you get can be forgiven or bankrupted if necessary. The last thing you want is a debt that stays with you for life.

Keyhole, I wouldn't be the MusicMan if I didn't recommend that you select music as one of your courses. In cognitive sciences music can assist with right brain versus left brain definition.
Another area you might consider is kinesiology, once again using the brain to communicate with your subconscious (Higher) self. Shucks, the world is your oyster, and all there is is lessons.

I phrase comes to mind that I read recently. * The world needs people who love what you do * and you can be the case, in my opinion. I suggest you do, we are certainly many in a possible future uncertainty. but in truth I find quite rewarding launch your dream ready to help others, but also of psychological way. I you would. Really was always my dream to study Psychologist and do not rule, I like to study human behavior and provide assistance. haslo! help prepare for giving it other tools to enhance your life. and if you do it with great love c'mon. and to him that if you do not even late for that. there is always time for everything and it's never too late to learn and even more if it is to bring good to this planet. lucky man ;D

sorry for my English ;D

Reading this thread has been very helpful for me, again I am in the same boat. I decided this year to start a PG Certicate in Rehabilitation with a pathway to a Masters degree. The funny thing is I don't have an undergrad degree I was accepted due to having two Diplomas one in Massage therapy and years of experience. I was stoked! I always wanted to pursue higher tertiary education but because I was so depressed and ill I dropped out of University early on. Completed my massage training later and always had a chip on my shoulder about people treating me as just a massage therapist.
I am loving my studies, it is challenging working and studying from home but I have grown so much through it and have been able to slay some of my demons from my past as well as develop my critical thinking ability. Thanks for this thread I so often have thought so is there any point in doing any of this study at all. It just confirmed to me to value the process and the learning. As a side note even though we hear so many reports about impending economic collapse it feels good to have nearly paid off my student loan from all the years study I didn't complete and be paying for my current course up front. I feel I have taken care of my own business and responsibilities and that has been worth it.

Back
Top Bottom