Jeff Volek - The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation Video

Excellent book on Keto-adaptation though a couple of caveats I'll add below:

Keto-Adapted: Your guide to accelerated weight loss and healthy healing by maria emmerich.

http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Adapted-Maria-Emmerich-ebook/dp/B00GTU9AJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397303333&sr=1-1&keywords=keto+adapted

Now, the caveats: She allows nightshades and some dairy things later on that we would not consider healthy. However, overall, it is an excellent book. She has recipes, too.

It's available in kindle so you can get some excellent info like right away!
[/quote]

Fluffy said:
Thanks Arwenn, I am doing all of the above that you suggest, coconut oil is my best friend right now, I eat it from the jar with a big spoon.
Interesting that you say you're beginning to distrust white powders of all kinds because I am too thinking that replacing sugar with something that has been heavily processed (xylitol, stevia, erythritol etc) is just moving from one evil to another.... I spent way too many hours when I should have been sleeping sitting up googling the topic of replacement sugars the other night.... Again, lots of conflicting info and opinions, but I feel like may be these things should be avoided or at least used sparingly. And I think my body's response to them is telltale, something just doesn't feel right when I consume it.... it's all just a bit off I think and my Nan's insulin still spikes when she eats sugar fee lollies, not sure if she's eating the whole bag- she could be :huh:

Good on you Fluffy, it sounds like you're onto it. I'm just on 1 teaspoon of coconut oil a day and I just about gag :( I do manage to get it down somehow. The xylitol I've only just started using (mainly for the shakes and other recipes on the keto recipes thread). Stevia is my sweetener of choice for my cuppa. And as for Nan's sugar free lollies, the main suspect there would be artificial sweetener like aspartame, which is just about deadly. Most things here that are labelled 'diet blah blah' or 'sugar-free whatever' and laden with more toxic crap than sugar itself.

Quote from: happyliza on April 10, 2014, 02:23:50 PM

I am sure I am having at least 200gms of fat/butter in cooking and mixed in the potato powder.

Laura:
But the potato powder is carbs.

Reconstituted potato powder was recommended by you for me quite a while ago - to help soak up all the fat. I usually just have that for my carbs and no veggies (though sometimes I have green ones or onions). I am happy to say that I have finally put on 4 1bs (now 8.11 - but 9st would be better) so my face doesn't look so scrawny now - more healthy looking.

Though I still have to build up the muscle wastage that happened.

My aim is purely maintenance so I will up the fat further with these recipe recommendations.

Today I had a small piece of liver cooked in 2 tblspns of goose fat, 1 tablespn of bacon fat, paprika and tumeric (1 tspn of each), garlic - 3 cloves, and onion (1/2 an onion). Added to that was one mug of bonebroth with 1/2 inch fat on top. I had this with 1 cup of reconstituted potato with 50 - 70 grammes of kerrygold mixed in. Both also had plenty of himalyan salt and ground black pepper. Also put some oregano in with the liver.

It was delicious and filling

Fluffy said:
Fluffy said:
Laura said:
I'm a bit confused on this calculator thing suggesting that you reduce your fat to lose weight. You need to reduce CARBS to lose weight, and that includes the glucose that protein gets converted into when you eat more than your body requires.

In other words, calories really don't count when it comes to fat. You will be sated when you get enough and your body won't want anymore.
Is it because if there is lowered fat consumption the body will use fat stores? Protein is the least preferred energy system of the body because its the most complex molecule and hardest to metabalize so if there is a calorie deficit from not enough carbs, protein or fat in the diet the stored fat on the body would be used before muscles. So having low carb, low protein and high fat intake that's still under the daily required calorie intake for you means your body will use stored fat to fuel itself..
I would assume that eating more fat than your body's daily calorie expenditure would be how someone would put on weight - according to the calculator

The calculator is going off the calories in/calories out hypothesis that never holds up to scrutiny. Using this hypothesis, someone calculated that America's obesity epidemic stems from eating something like an extra 10 kcal a day. Which is absurd.

So long as you keep your carbs low, one can consume quite a bit more calories than their daily requirements without weight gain. Though if weight gain is your goal, which it is for me, then some carbs after a keto workout, as per Laura's suggestion, with a steady over-indulgence of fat should do the trick. OSIT.

happyliza said:
Quote from: happyliza on April 10, 2014, 02:23:50 PM

I am sure I am having at least 200gms of fat/butter in cooking and mixed in the potato powder.

Laura:
But the potato powder is carbs.

Reconstituted potato powder was recommended by you for me quite a while ago - to help soak up all the fat. I usually just have that for my carbs and no veggies (though sometimes I have green ones or onions). I am happy to say that I have finally put on 4 1bs (now 8.11 - but 9st would be better) so my face doesn't look so scrawny now - more healthy looking.

Though I still have to build up the muscle wastage that happened.

My aim is purely maintenance so I will up the fat further with these recipe recommendations.

Good job. Yes, instant potatoes are useful under some circumstances. However, you might want to get the book "Keto Adapted" by Maria Emmerich. We've cut out the potatoes entirely and the coconut oil/butter/egg yolk custard perfectly does the job. See Keto recipes thread.

happyliza said:
Today I had a small piece of liver cooked in 2 tblspns of goose fat, 1 tablespn of bacon fat, paprika and tumeric (1 tspn of each), garlic - 3 cloves, and onion (1/2 an onion). Added to that was one mug of bonebroth with 1/2 inch fat on top. I had this with 1 cup of reconstituted potato with 50 - 70 grammes of kerrygold mixed in. Both also had plenty of himalyan salt and ground black pepper. Also put some oregano in with the liver.

It was delicious and filling

Not bad at all. Check out the mentioned book. Read it completely before you do anything, though. She gives some excellent advice that pretty much encapsulates all the learning we've been doing, and then some.

And don't forget to read "When the Body Says No".

I have been looking forward to getting my paws on both those books. Unfortunately they will have to be on my wish list for a while. I will follow the related threads in the meantime though.

It is good news that more people are seriously researching and writing about keto - giving us all more background and recipes as well. I checked inside on Amazon and she actually makes the food look so appetizing! Though I know we cannot have the cheese etc.

I am so glad we have the new recipes now as I was considering that the potato powder could develop into a 'comfort' habit which I certainly don't want to happen. Also I feel it is time to wean off because both Knorr and Maggi versions are definitely on the GMO list and so I was also wondering about the Smash version from Premier Foods for the same reason.

Thanks for the advice Laura :)

Could someone tell me if this calculator is any good? If yes, it would be helpful, but I don't know if I trust the site. It distinguishes between being "new to the diet" and "keto-adapted", too, it seems you need more protein in the beginning (well, according to this site).

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

Thanks, M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
Could someone tell me if this calculator is any good? If yes, it would be helpful, but I don't know if I trust the site. It distinguishes between being "new to the diet" and "keto-adapted", too, it seems you need more protein in the beginning (well, according to this site).

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

Thanks, M.T.

I entered my data with a "lightly active" level and it seems it calculates my protein intake with around 1.2 grams of protein per kilo. I like the graphics and how it is organized, I think it is more user friendly!

Thanks Gaby.

It gave me 88gr -168gr fat with "lightly active" and I was a bit confused since it doesn't seem so much, if you take something between these two numbers.

I mean 125gr is only half a pound of butter .. And I am not that small with 61kg and 1.63cm ...
Does that seem right?

Her recipes are more a mix of Paleo and Keto, so not much stress on fat at all.

Thanks very much for all your help!

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
Thanks Gaby.

It gave me 88gr -168gr fat with "lightly active" and I was a bit confused since it doesn't seem so much, if you take something between these two numbers.

Yeah, it seems these calculators don't like fat. In the first one: _http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It gives me 140 grams for weight maintenance and the second one 160 grams: _http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

I noticed that this last calculator reduces the protein intake once keto-adaptation is achieved to 0.7 per kilo for lightly active and 0.8 for moderately active, 1 per kilo maximum for extremely active. Those are definitely restricted. Gedgaudas was recommending 0.8 for example.

As for the fat, once you restrict carbs and moderately restrict protein, then there is no other option than fats. All the fat you need in order to not lose weight. I haven't measured the amount of fat I've taken. I think it is a lot, sometimes up to 2 cups of fat bombs per day. But I haven't lost any weight although my body does seem to be changing. Less retention on my waist and the muscles are more firm despite being only lightly active, mainly walking a lot.

I like this last calculator because it pays attention to protein, giving its maximum permissible while keto-adapting and then restricting it once keto-adaptation is theoretically achieved. That is much easier on beginners. I'm not sure about the fat though, since it seems these calculators are done mostly for weight loss. And then, restricting fat on a ketogenic diet doesn't make much sense to me.

I think some keto strips testing is overdue, but I don't like pricking my finger :/ I'll organize some experimenting menus, some with more carbs but still pretty restrictive and others with tons of fat. The keto levels should be better in the later, but we'll see.

Laura said:

Keto-Adapted: Your guide to accelerated weight loss and healthy healing by maria emmerich.

_http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Adapted-Maria-Emmerich-ebook/dp/B00GTU9AJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397303333&sr=1-1&keywords=keto+adapted

Funny, I was reading it today and found entire quotes, word by word, from the article:

The Ketogenic Diet - An Overview
http://www.sott.net/article/265069-The-Ketogenic-Diet-An-Overview

Gaby said:
Laura said:

_http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Adapted-Maria-Emmerich-ebook/dp/B00GTU9AJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397303333&sr=1-1&keywords=keto+adapted

Funny, I was reading it today and found entire quotes, word by word, from the article:

Can you give us examples and page numbers???

Laura said:
Gaby said:
Laura said:

Can you give us examples and page numbers???

One example:

Ketones are non-glycating, which is to say, they don't have a caramelizing, aging effect on your body.

That page and the previous one were way too familiar. It is also the nature of the material which could make it familiar. But that sentence was hey! I remember saying that before!

Location 685 of 4408 (16% kindle book):

Ketones are non-glycating, which is to say that they don’t have a caramelizing aging effect on your body.

Emmerich, Maria (2013-11-17). Keto-Adapted (Kindle Locations 686-691). Self. Kindle Edition.

She did a nice re-work though, adding her extended experience. I'm still reading, but I'm planing to upload two summaries of the cassiopaea health forum research for newbies these days in view of the ebola outbreak.

Newbies find it overwhelming to catch up with the various must read health threads, so those google documents will help them get up to speed quicker. The summary can be read in a couple of days or so, so they'll be able to navigate the various threads (which still are a must read!) much more faster and painlessly.

After stumbling upon that quoted material in emmerich's book, I realized that I already pretty much synthesized the cassiopaea forum research from dozens of the recommended health books, hundreds (if not thousands!) of scientific journals and articles, explanations and experiences from forum members, and the threads "Life Without Bread", "Ketogenic Diet - Path to Transformation", "Vegetarian Myth" and a few others too.

The science background is done. Just need a final reading to make sure it doesn't have fatal mistakes. I'm working on the update and re-work of the practical aspects (from Emmerich's book :D) and voilà. Newbies will have the resources they need for the plague! I think a guide will help enormously before they can finally read the various threads and recommended books.

Hopefully the health gurus in the forum will go through the document for further edits.

A rough index of the science background:

FATS
The Key for Optimal Health
A Healing Energetic Source
You Are What You Eat
Good, Bad and Ugly
Essential Fatty Acids
Plastic Fat
Good Old Fat
Cholesterol Myth and Demonization of Fats
Conclusion: Don’t be Afraid of Animal Fat!

CARBOHYDRATES
Here Comes the Insulin Shock
Evolutionary History
The Role of Big Agra
Dangerous Grains
GMOs
The Obesity Epidemic and the Low Fat Scam
Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank
What about Fiber?
Tsunami of Chronic Diseases
AGEs is Bad for You
The Anti-Elixir of Life

PROTEIN
The Animal Kingdom

THE VEGETARIAN MYTH
Anti-Nutrients
Lectins
A Cereal Killer
WGA- Bread’s Evil Lectin
Gluten Intolerance
Wheat Belly
Cheaper than Heroine- The Opiate of the Masses
Casein Intolerance
Soy
Excitotoxins

INFLAMMATION
Inflammation as the Common Factor in All Disease
Food Sensitivities
Mitochondrial Dysfunction
Ketosis Revisited

The next document will include:

Keto-adaptation
Carb and protein counters, keto calculator
Recipes
Favorite supplements and protocols
Recommended resources

For now, this is done:

KETOADAPTATION
[still needs emmerich's update]

RECIPES
Fat Bomb Custard
Bone broth
Liver paté
Breakfast sausage
Pork Rinds
Lamb Stew
Cassoulet

FAVORITE SUPPLEMENTS and PROTOCOLS
Basic Detox Cocktail
Vitamin C
Magnesium
Omega 3s
N-Acetyl-Cysteine
Constipation or Diarrhea Protocol
Easier Digestion and Sluggish Liver Protocol
Gut Healing Protocol for Leaky Gut
Keto-adaptation Troubleshooting Protocol
Useful Supplements
Vitamin K2
Vitamin D3
Boswellia (Frankincense)
Zinc
Mitochondrial Energizers
DMSO
Adrenal Fatigue Protocol
Anti-Estrogen Dominance Protocol
Mood Enhancing Protocols
Mercury Detox Protocol

My 2 cents!

[quote author=Gaby]
She did a nice re-work though, adding her extended experience. I'm still reading, but I'm planing to upload two summaries of the cassiopaea health forum research for newbies these days in view of the ebola outbreak.

Newbies find it overwhelming to catch up with the various must read health threads, so those google documents will help them get up to speed quicker. The summary can be read in a couple of days or so, so they'll be able to navigate the various threads (which still are a must read!) much more faster and painlessly.

After stumbling upon that quoted material in emmerich's book, I realized that I already pretty much synthesized the cassiopaea forum research from dozens of the recommended health books, hundreds (if not thousands!) of scientific journals and articles, explanations and experiences from forum members, and the threads "Life Without Bread", "Ketogenic Diet - Path to Transformation", "Vegetarian Myth" and a few others too.

The science background is done. Just need a final reading to make sure it doesn't have fatal mistakes. I'm working on the update and re-work of the practical aspects (from Emmerich's book ) and voilà. Newbies will have the resources they need for the plague! I think a guide will help enormously before they can finally read the various threads and recommended books.
[/quote]

Gaby, what a great idea to have a synthesis of all of the keto and Diet threads into a document! :flowers: And thank you so very much for distilling all that information-I think it'll be handy not just for Newbies, but for everyone here. The amount of information we have on some threads here is overwhelming. Is the any way that you can copyright it though? It's distressing to have your work plagiarized, and you were spot on with your example above (it is literally copied word for word). :/

Arwenn said:
Gaby, what a great idea to have a synthesis of all of the keto and Diet threads into a document! :flowers: And thank you so very much for distilling all that information-I think it'll be handy not just for Newbies, but for everyone here. The amount of information we have on some threads here is overwhelming. Is the any way that you can copyright it though? It's distressing to have your work plagiarized, and you were spot on with your example above (it is literally copied word for word). :/

One idea: I upload the documents (hopefully this week) and health lovers and gurus of the forum can read it. After feedback, we could put it on kindle as QFG research and compilation of several sources. If anything, as a guide for newbies or if members want to pass around the word based on this forum's research. The docs can be shared publicly, but further edits and polishing could be available through kindle. :huh:

It synthesizes a TON of stuff. And it is all derived from this forum in one way or another.

Well, I don't know. I just want to get it out there because I think it is pretty good and extremely helpful for newbies. And that Ebola outbreak has me a little bit worried...

Just imagine arriving into this forum, having to catch up with hundreds of must read pages in various threads, plus dozens of recommended health books. Not to mention hundreds of articles in the sott database. I don't know, some might understandably faint :P At least with a guide they can start something as they get up to date. Keto-adaptation takes a few weeks up to months, still, better than nothing.

My 2 cents!

Back
Top Bottom