Jeff Volek - The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation Video

Laura said:
Another: if you tolerate coconut, use coconut cream, several egg yolks, big chunk of melted butter, vanilla, a small bit of xylitol, to make a FAT milkshake!

Just put the butter, xylitol (tsp) and coconut cream in a saucepan, bring ALMOST to a boil, take off the heat, beat in several egg yolks thorougly, chill in fridge for a bit, and then maybe put in the blender before drinking or stir well.

You could also use it as a hot drink, like a warm vanilla milkshake.

Using cocoa is okay, but when you do that, you have to increase the xylitol to counter the bitterness of the chocolate and that sort of cancels out the super low carb state. With coconut cream and butter, you hardly need any xylitol.

Anyway, if you need to get a couple hundred grams of fat into you, this is one way.

I bought some xylitol today & I'm just about to go & make this. I will report back and let y'all know how I go :)

As I reported in the keto thread, this is simply scrumptious and something I'd happily have regularly to help with the fat intake. Thanks for a great recipe- I know we have a recipe board but I think that was pre-keto, so maybe we should compile all these great recipes into one thread.

Arwenn said:
As I reported in the keto thread, this is simply scrumptious and something I'd happily have regularly to help with the fat intake. Thanks for a great recipe- I know we have a recipe board but I think that was pre-keto, so maybe we should compile all these great recipes into one thread.

Good idea, can you do it? Thread "Keto Recipes".

Also, you ought not to forget that you can stay in ketosis having a certain amount of carbs per day as in veggies. The experts point out that different people have different levels that are tolerated while staying in ketosis. Get a good carb/protein counter and try to adjust your intake scientifically.

I'm taking about 6 to 8 fish oil gels a day to augment the fat because I find it really hard to make 60% of my caloric intake fat. So I'm looking for every thing I can to help with this. (That's the reason for the butter loaded deviled eggs and the fat/coconut drink. Gotta find ways to get it down palatably since there's no whale blubber around!)

Also, best to have your last, small meal of the day slightly carby (20 to 30 grams) because too much fat late in the day makes your body supercharged!! I was getting overheated and energetic when I was supposed to be sleeping!

Remember: protein that goes above your daily requirement gets turned into sugar. So find out what is right for you and stick there.

For those who want to GAIN weight, you can have a carb tending meal or snack (staying under the limit of what you have established as your tolerance for carbs while staying in ketosis) within 30 minutes AFTER the KETO workout. This is when your body is pumping out anabolic hormones and will use that food to build muscle.

A bit of potassium in the early months is useful because your body may flush a lot out along with the water it is eliminating.

Laura said:
Good idea, can you do it? Thread "Keto Recipes".

Sure thing, I'll do that directly.

Laura said:
Also, you ought not to forget that you can stay in ketosis having a certain amount of carbs per day as in veggies. The experts point out that different people have different levels that are tolerated while staying in ketosis. Get a good carb/protein counter and try to adjust your intake scientifically.

I think my system has been so overloaded with toxic crap that eliminating most things and then re-introducing things slowly is probably what I need to do. I will get a counter to help me gauge what I'm eating.

Laura said:
I'm taking about 6 to 8 fish oil gels a day to augment the fat because I find it really hard to make 60% of my caloric intake fat. So I'm looking for every thing I can to help with this. (That's the reason for the butter loaded deviled eggs and the fat/coconut drink. Gotta find ways to get it down palatably since there's no whale blubber around!)

Palatable is the essence, especially because (the kids don't know this yet) but I'm going to try and wean them off the rubbish they're eating at present. Are you sure about the fish oil? I ask only because it is highly recommended by the Medical Mafia (& anything they happily endorse makes me want to do the exact opposite). I guess you'd also want to be very careful of the source of the fish oil given the pollution and radiation issue (Fukushima).

Laura said:
Also, best to have your last, small meal of the day slightly carny (20 to 30 grams) because too much fat late in the day makes your body supercharged!! I was getting overheated and energetic when I was supposed to be sleeping!

That's exactly what's been happening with me! Carbs at night will help with serotonin release, which will help with sleep. Thanks for that, I really need to sort my sleep out. From the Ketogenic diet resource website:
Some people report that they can't stay asleep when on a ketogenic diet. This may be an indication that insulin and serotonin are low. Try this solution: eat a snack which contains both protein and some carbohydrate right before bed. The carbohydrate will increase insulin, which will allow more tryptophan from the protein to get into the brain. Tryptoplan is the precursor for serotonin which has a calming effect on the brain.

Laura said:
A bit of potassium in the early months is useful because your body may flush a lot out along with the water it is eliminating.

Ain't that the truth! I have a bladder of a two year old and I keep needing to pee even with my Magnesium/potassium complex and salt. I figure my body is letting go of all the all that water retention when I was eating lots of carbs. I'll sure be glad when things normalize though!

Gaby said:
Volek and other paleo bloggers (Mark Sisson comes to mind) recommend much more protein per kilo, like the keto calculator quoted above. Something around 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilo. These researchers have studied and/or reviewed material for athletes and so forth.

We have quoted extensively this research on the Life Without Bread and Ketogenic diet thread. I have yet to watch the videos in this thread and catch up with the document, but I thought I could share here a revision summary I wrote awhile ago in this thread once I catch up. Maybe the diet gurus in this forum can chime in and polish it out and/or add missing stuff. If anything, it is a review of what has been covered in the past few years. Some questions and quoted research come up again and again and again in the diet threads, like a loop... So maybe having a google document available is a good start and reference as people make their way through the diet threads. :)

I think that would be very handy! Regarding the protein recommendations by researchers, I'm wondering how often it occurs that one would read a paper and recommend a slightly higher intake to leave a little bit of headroom to ensure adequate intake and then others read that research and add more headroom and so on. Because getting over 1g/lb/day of protein as recommended by some in the Paleo seems like an excessive amount of work and environmental resources to acquire for a group of hunter gatherers.

fabric said:
I've noticed with my meals that even when I ate lots of fat with my meal, when I restricted my protein to 3oz (or 25g) I would be hungry just a couple of hours later. Then when I started increasing it a bit to 4-5oz per meal, I would feel perfectly full and would be able to go all day without feeling hungry. So I didn't worry too much about Nora's restriction and went more with what Volek and others have stated. One thing I would like to experiment with is varying dosages of protein and taking blood ketone measurements to gauge what my optimum intake would be. Good thing we have lots of test strips! ;) (Thanks 3d Student)

I noticed the same thing. It didn't matter how much fat I ate, 25g of protein was never enough to satisfy me for long. However, ~40g/meal or so with lots of fat tides me over all day. :)

fabric said:
That link with the calculator is pretty handy for figuring things out. Though I wish it would adjust for weight gain, as I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum and need to put on a few pounds :P

You can use it for weight gain, you just have to add in more than your maintenance level of calories in the 'Fat to Your Liking' section. The chart will even show you how much you will gain over time. Pretty cool, imo!

A Jay said:
Gaby said:
We have quoted extensively this research on the Life Without Bread and Ketogenic diet thread. I have yet to watch the videos in this thread and catch up with the document, but I thought I could share here a revision summary I wrote awhile ago in this thread once I catch up. Maybe the diet gurus in this forum can chime in and polish it out and/or add missing stuff. If anything, it is a review of what has been covered in the past few years. Some questions and quoted research come up again and again and again in the diet threads, like a loop... So maybe having a google document available is a good start and reference as people make their way through the diet threads. :)

I think that would be very handy! Regarding the protein recommendations by researchers, I'm wondering how often it occurs that one would read a paper and recommend a slightly higher intake to leave a little bit of headroom to ensure adequate intake and then others read that research and add more headroom and so on. Because getting over 1g/lb/day of protein as recommended by some in the Paleo seems like an excessive amount of work and environmental resources to acquire for a group of hunter gatherers.

I'm nearly caught up and the good news is that I haven't found anything new to add to the document :P Well, considering that we just want to leave basics and let people explore details on the various threads. So I hope to get this together soon. :D People can later decide what is missing from their experiences and knowledge.

Just note that the formula is calculated with kilos and not pounds. The count of protein is reduced by nearly half with that: 0.8 up to 1.5 grams per kilo of ideal weight. ;)

A Jay said:
You can use it for weight gain, you just have to add in more than your maintenance level of calories in the 'Fat to Your Liking' section. The chart will even show you how much you will gain over time. Pretty cool, imo!

That is cool! Thanks, I didn't even realize I could do that :P

Boy do I really have to up the intake though - it's gonna be tough but with all those fatty recipes might just be doable!

Getting the daily fat in IS difficult, we've found.

If you keep the super-fatty deviled eggs on hand all the time for snacks, if you have the Coconut Cream Custard with added coconut oil once a day, you will be getting close to supplying your body's needs. With some added fish oil, the fat in your meats, some extra tablespoons of butter on your meat, the fat in a daily cup of bone broth, and you'll make the amount. It IS doable. And we don't have to eat walrus blubber to do it.

Wow this thread on Fat intake is so timely. I just soooo need this info right now! I hope we can come up with more inspiring recipes like Laura's as I too am finding it so difficult to be able to eat enough fat - let alone digest it even with the digestion tablets!

Today my plate was dripping with fat - on purpose, and it not only goes onto my tray but also my lap! So many clothes I get fat spattered on through carelessness or via the cooking!

Anyway I am still at the stage where I am retching a bit whist FORCING this stuff down. Don't get me wrong I have always loved fat and have preferred to have bread with my butter in the past BUT the amount - or percentage to protein - still seems to me astronomical, and it makes me bulk most of the time.

I do render down my own fats from port and lamb and use loads of butter, coconut oil and some Ghee. To disguise it in any way I can would be better! Even if I just kid myself that I have and extensive meal plan.

To just eat pork chops etc is easier but then on weighing stuff, I was not getting near enough fat. AGAIN.

I haven't checked for Ketosis though shows up positive in a recent test in hospital - but so did the protein 3 x as much! In a way I am too scared to as I still have to beat this fat quota.

Maybe making fat 'pancakes' very thin to roll around whatever we eat may be the answer. Then no plate needed or dripping fat to spill. Picnic time. Great for ready made snacks too. In fact I am thinking multiple snacks may be the way to go, as I am out most of the time and treat skipping meals as 'fasting', so having ready made snacks in the fridge to grab or graze on may be easier and then the fat intake can be spead more lightly throughout the day? Just an idea, though am short on new exciting and appetizing snacks!

Is it advisable to alternate on the different fats or okay to go with one's preference?

Also, not sure if anyone else did this, but I forever am burning ulcers in my mouth from underestimating how hot the fat/broth is - and of course the fat is always floating on the top lol.
Again I would love to change or disguise the taste of broth, though I don't mind the buttery taste, it is still rather bland. I must admit I am not the most inventive cook in the kitchen.

happyliza said:
I hope we can come up with more inspiring recipes like Laura's as I too am finding it so difficult to be able to eat enough fat - let alone digest it even with the digestion tablets!

I've always just added about 55 grams of fat to my food. And I strain the fat off of the meat and consider it about 10% more protein per weight. If you don't want the fat soupy, you can add it cold so you get a bit more to chew on. Adding salt to the fat makes it taste better too. I usually do tallow so there is a lot of consistency, however I'm doing rendered lard and ghee at the moment.

Don't forget to add butter to your tea!

happyliza said:
Is it advisable to alternate on the different fats or okay to go with one's preference?

Variety can help if you're bored and want to change up. Whatever works best for your body is probably best.

happyliza said:
Also, not sure if anyone else did this, but I forever am burning ulcers in my mouth from underestimating how hot the fat/broth is - and of course the fat is always floating on the top lol.

I've done that too. The fat tends to be a lot hotter. A good thing to do is to stir it so the broth gets in your spoon too. A good blow is always a good idea too.

happyliza said:
Again I would love to change or disguise the taste of broth, though I don't mind the buttery taste, it is still rather bland. I must admit I am not the most inventive cook in the kitchen.

When I cook my meat I usually put vinegar, olive oil, and some spices in it. When it's done I drain that off along with the fat. When I eat my broth I put that congealed "gravy" from the meat into it. No more bland broth. :)

I've tried making homemade mayo, but never have success with the blender or immersion stick blender. I always do it better with a hand whisk. Which means my arm will be burning afterwards. :lol: :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing what recipes we can come up with for innovative ways of consuming fat. The other thing I forgot to mention in my post about my keto experience thus far, is that apart from tiredness, I am also hungry even though I'm swallowing globules of much lard, fat & butter! The keto calculator Laura mentioned looks awesome, so I'll be using that to tweak my diet. It's hard to quantify what I'm actually eating otherwise. I so hope the hunger, tiredness and peeing settles down soon!

I am so thankful for this thread. I had done the keto diet awhile back, but slipped back into the paleo diet. I have been wanting to get back to keto, and this thread has given me the confidence to do it. The videos were very helpful along with the calculator. The recipes are going to be a huge help with getting all the fat in! Tomorrow I start back on the keto diet, and I will be posting my progress in the keto thread. Thanks everyone!

Angela said:
I am so thankful for this thread. I had done the keto diet awhile back, but slipped back into the paleo diet. I have been wanting to get back to keto, and this thread has given me the confidence to do it. The videos were very helpful along with the calculator. The recipes are going to be a huge help with getting all the fat in! Tomorrow I start back on the keto diet, and I will be posting my progress in the keto thread. Thanks everyone!

Put my signature on this, for sure ! ..the videos are great, thank you all ;)
Now let's get back to track

Savitri C said:
Angela said:

Put my signature on this, for sure ! ..the videos are great, thank you all ;)
Now let's get back to track

Ditto! I slipped to paleo with a relatively low/average count on carbs, but definitely more carby and less fatty. I've been meaning to go "strict" for awhile but this thread and everybody's motivation is simply contagious and now I'm back on track and already feeling better. Perhaps my body had all the "chemical pathways" in the background and it was only a matter of putting them to use again. :)

This is great! And today, I'm definitely going to buy a lot more of butter since I ran out :P

It's good to see the network fired up about the diet :) I'm still getting a handle on that keto calculator, but my meal plan today was as follows:

Laura's amazing coconut vanilla shake (I added 150gm butter to the coconut cream)- I made this and took it with me to sip at work through the day
2 eggs scrambled and a rasher of fatty bacon cooked in butter
A few cups of Earl grey tea with stevia (& with milk for the moment, but that's on my to-ditch-list)
Beef ribs baked in the oven (lots of blubber and not much meat)
A small salad (1 carrot, 1 cucumber, a small handful of lettuce greens), with salad dressing of Celtic sea salt, olive oil and 1/2 a lemon.

Supplements wise - salt dissolved in water, gut flora (probiotics capsule), & magnesium powder. So quantifying my meals will help me know exactly what I'm consuming, there's definitely a science behind it. The art of it is the innovative recipes. Maybe posting sample meal plans which people can adjust to suit their individual requirements) might be an idea in the Keto receipes thread.

Back
Top Bottom