July 2016 Military Coup in Turkey

VI- ‘Abi’s, or Elders: the parallel hierarchy of the putschist officers within the army

Gülen had asked those who had listened to his confidential sermon to discard the contents into a bin. And when he listed the official institutions where ‘our friends are present’ he named the judiciary, the civil service, and a ‘crucial institution’ that he did not name.

The ‘crucial institution’ which he did not name, due to security concerns, was the Turkish Armed Forces.

In his interviews Fethullah Gülen always denied that his organization was creating its own parallel structure within the army:

“ This is a shocking lie. I have no idea what these projects are. I never had such a project. Because infiltration happens in enemy territory. My feelings for the army are known by all and what I have written and said about the army is out in the public.”

Gülen group’s organization within the army was carried out for 40 years, and was referred to in the most coded terms even in the most confidential of meetings.

In an army that was over sensitive about the issue of secularism, the officers were expected to have a secular life style, and they could easily be fired when they prayed or when their wives wore the headscarf.

Fethullah Gülen, developed tactics he called ‘tadbir’, or ‘precaution’ in order to surmount these sensitivities. These tactics are commonly known as ‘takiyya,’ applied in the Shia branch of Islam: fatwas are given for committing certain sins in order to advance the cause of Islam. Performing the prayer with the movement of the eyes, drinking alcohol a certain amount as to not get drunk, not wearing the headscarf- these were the fatwas given so that the Gülenists could hide their identity in the army and be known as secularpeople.

Security analyst and former soldier Metin Gürcan, who was himself forced to resign due to some footage that was leaked to the internet, described lieutenant-colonel Levent Türkkan who took the General Chief of Staff prisoner on the night of the coup in the following terms: “He drank alcohol and did not fast during the holy month of Ramadan, to show he was not religious.”

This was how lieutenant-colonel Türkkan was known to his friends. In his deposition at the prosecutor’s office Türkkan described his 27 years with Gülen’s Organization which had facilitated his entry to the military academy: “In those days I was a student at the Bursa Cumhuriyet Middle School. I was a good student with a bright future. In middle school I met the elders of Gülen’s organization. At the time there were elders who were university students with codes names such as Serdar and Musa. I was staying at the official accommodation of the high school. These elders used to come to student accommodation. They would lead me and those like me in prayer. Then they started to take me to the flat of their own group. In 1989 I entered the examination for Işıklar Military High School… midnight before the exam they came and brought me the questions to the exam. Elder Serdar had brought the questions. He had a computer print out of the questions. The multiple choices had already been marked. They were things I already knew. I read, and memorized… When I was at the Military High School I kept in touch with elders Serdar and Musa. I used to see them once a month. Usually we would go once a month, pray and have conversations, do lessons in which we would read Fetullah Gülen’s books. My elders had taught me how to take ablutions in the toilet and how to perform prayers with the movements of the eye in order not to out myself as an observant Muslim. We were able to perform prayers everywhere with this method. I used to visualize myself praying and recite sections of the Quran inwardly… During my time at the military high school my elders gave me no mission. I did not engage in any activity in the name of the organization. They said that our only mission was not exposing ourselves.”

The following section of his deposition is the best illustration of the hierarchical relationship between these officers in the army whose sole job was to keep themselves unexposed and the ‘civilian imam’s outside:

“When I finished the military high school in 1993 I enrolled straight away, without an examination, in the Military Academy. To be honest at the time I also questioned myself. I used to have girlfriends at the time and back then the elders of the organization would frown upon it”

Lieutenant-colonel Türkkan then talks about the kind of orders the officers in the army would receive from the civil imams: “The elders I answered to were not from the military, they were all university graduates and used code names… I used to listen in on the conversations of General Chief of Staff Necdet Özel Pasha with a bug. The appliance was as small as two tips of a finger, and I used to put it somewhere in the pasha’s room every day and take it back with me every evening as I left. It had a memory capacity of 10–15 hours of recording. An elder before Elder Murat whose name I can’t remember and who worked at Turkish Telecom gave it to me. He had given it to me in his house. His house was in Incek, direction Alacaatlı. I could still find the place if I were to go. He gave me the recording device and told me to record the conversations of the pasha. ‘We’ll listen only to gain information, nothing will happen’ he said to me. I didn’t question it, I took the device. I recorded the pasha’s voice every day. There were two, three devices. Once a week I would take the device with the filled memory to my elder and pick the empty ones.”

These followings statements, on the other hand, give us an idea about the structure created by the Gülen organization within the army. In this structure an officer knows only the elder who is outside the army, and may not know the other Gülenists who are in the army:

“When the General Chief of Staff changed and I became aide of the new Chief Hulusi Akar, my mission to record ended. When I became the aide, Elder Murat said ‘You will not be leaving the recording machine anymore’ I learnt a few months later that this same job was now carried out by Sergeant Majors Serhat and Şener whose surname I did not know. Both sergeant majors were junior officer aides to Hulusi Akar Pasha.”

“They had carried out the job of second command during the period of Necdet Özel Pasha for two years, two years during the term of Hulusi Akar Pasha, and another two during time of Yaşar Güler Pasha. Their aide was my friend major Mehmet Akkurt. Mehmet Akkurt is also a member of Fetullah Gülen’s organization. We took the sound recordings with him. He would place the devices in the general chief of staff second command’s rooms. I did not know who his elder was.”

The Lieutenant-Colonel did not know the real name and the day job of the elder who had been his contact with the organization: “The people I was in touch with in the organization were the men with the codenames Murat, Selahattin, and Adil. I know the house of Murat among them. It is near the road to Konya, I can show it to you. I do not know the jobs, or the real names or the addresses of the others.”

The gendarmerie major Haydar Hacıpaşalıoğlu who is now imprisoned for participating in the coup attempt reveals the extent of this secrecy: “I never told my wife that I was a member of Gülen’s organization. If I had, being left-leaning, she would have denounced me. My wife comes from a Republican Party family and has social democrat values. In fact she would often say that she did not like Fethullah Gülen’s organization, that she even hated them. I have two children. The members of Gülen’s organization had some suggestions as to what name we should give my daughter. They suggested Nihal. I suggested to my wife that we call our daughter Nihal and she said that she knew someone called Nihal that she didn’t like and so refused.”

The Lieutenant-Colonel who was in charge of the security systems at the General Chief of Staff Head Quarters, Gökhan Eski, was also arrested for plotting the coup. In his testimony he too admitted that he was a member of Gülen’s organization and explained how he was introduced to the group, and his relationship with the civil elders of the organization for 30 years: “I got introduced to the Gülen Organization in 1986, first year of my middle school. When at middle school they had appointed an elder for me with the code name B., he told me he was a student in the medical faculty. Our contact continued during high school as well. He took an interest in all that I did and took care of me. In 1989 I passed the exam for İzmir Maltepe Military High School. Elder B continued to visit until the day of my graduation. When I finished the military school I enrolled in the Land Military Academy. In his last visit he said ‘From now on A will come, not I’ and transferred me to him. During my Military Academy years I was attached to Elder A. That Elder transferred me to Elder Adil. My code name in the organization was Salih. This code name was given me in middle school by Elder B.”

Thus the lieutenant-colonel had changed elders three times in 30 years. And yet one thing remained the same: his code name. The following section of the testimony reveals that Gülenist members of the military did not know one another and at most, two officers were attached to the same elder:

“When I came to Ankara in 2012 Elder F introduced me to Elder R in the house of Elder Murat (Muhammed Uslu). Elder Murat is also the elder of Levent Türkkan. Elder R lived in Çayyolu. He worked at Turk Telecom. Six months after I came to Ankara. I met lieutenant-colonel Levent Türkkan in the house of Elder R. We learnt we were part of a same Gülen organization in Elder R’s house.”

Each officer has a civil imam to whom he is attached, and the connection to the Gülen organization is built not through the hierarchy within the army but through the civil imams outside the army. It is not difficult to guess that the order for the coup also came from outside. The depositions of the officers arrested for the coup verify this:

Lieutenant-colonel Levent Türkkan explains how he received the order for the coup: “I learnt that there was going to be a coup on 14th July 2016, Thursday, around 10–11 am. General Chief of Staff Colonel Orhan Yıkılkan called me outside for a smoke. He gave me this information when we were alone there. He also told me that on the day of the coup my mission was to neutralize Hulusi Akar Pasha to facilitate things. He said that once I neutralized Hulusi Akar Pasha, the special forces would come and take him. I accepted the mission Orhan Yıkılkan gave to me without question. That night I went to the house of Elder Murat to whom I was attached, on the Konya road, behind the Opet gas station. I went because I was curious about what was happening. We didn’t have a routine appointment that day. In ordinary times we go to the elder’s house after informing him, that is how it is supposed to be done but because this was an extraordinary situation I went without calling him. Elders Adil and Selahattin, whom I knew from before, were present in the house. Although the house belonged to Elder Murat he was not there. Elder Selahattin is superior to Elder Murat by one degree. They asked me why I had come. They did not give me any information about the coup. I asked them ‘There will be activity tomorrow night, do you have any information about it?’ They were angry when I asked. ‘How do you know? Who did you speak to this about? Who told you?’ I told them that it was Colonel Orhan Yıkılkan who had told me. They knew Orhan Yıkılkan. I don’t know through what connection. ‘You will not say anything about this issue to anyone, anywhere, the plan will continue very secretly and not be exposed.’ They did not say anything about the mission I had been given. I left the house. When I learnt from the news that bombs had exploded and that the civil population had been harmed I started to regret it. What was being done was like a massacre. These things were done by the organization which I thought was meant to serve God’s will. The corridor was filled with officers who had participated in the coup up to 9 o’clock in the morning. Everyone kept saying ‘We have failed, we are surrendering’ I truly regret what I have done. Not only participating in the coup but of having been a member of the Fetullah Gülen organization. What I have said to you is in all sincerity.”

Junior Officer Bekir Kurt who was with the Special Forces and who has been arrested for the coup attempt says the following: “I used to go to a house in the, Keçiören Şefkat neighbourhood for the book reading and sermon meetings. I do not know the exact address of the place, but I can take you there. I knew the owner of the house as ‘Adem’. There would also be another man with alias ‘Nesimi’, we would be three people. 3 days before the coup the man named Nesimi said that there would be trouble in the near future and said ‘you must help if an officer from your regiment comes to you tells you he needs help’ When I asked him who would come, he said: ‘He knows you.’’

During the coup, the task of the 26 year-old SAS Commando Avşar Zırh, who was Junior Officer on duty at the İstanbul Büyükçekmece SAS underwater and rescue group command, was to take the Commander of the Marine Corps into custody. He spoke of similar chain of command: “On 14th July my organization elder whom I knew as Ulvi called me on the phone and wanted to meet. There was another person I did not know at the meeting. This person said to me ‘Beautiful and important things will happen tomorrow.’ The evening of 15th July I went to Junior Officer C S’s house at 23:00. There were three more members of the military there…”

Ankara Gendermarie Command Intelligence Branch Director Major Erdal Karlıdağ had heard about the coup from the elders in the organization: “Because confidentiality was of the utmost importance in the organization I did not even know the officers, junior officers and rank officers who were members of Gülen’s organization within the army. On Wednesday two people came to my house. The man named Halil told me that he had made a list of three thousand active members of the organization within the gendarmerie, that I was on this list, and that we were all going to be dismissed from our positions in the August Council. We went to a park in Anıttepe together. In the park we came upon Lieutenant-Colonel Süleyman Karaca (Gendermaries Personnel Division Branch Director). Altındağ Gendarmerie Commander Murat was there too. He said that there would be activity on Friday, and when it starts, we should go to TÜRKSAT in Gölbaşı.”

In his deposition Gendermarie Lieutenant-Colonel F.E. explained how the order of the coup was relayed and the civilian institutions these civil elders were in conversation with: “In 2011 I was appointed to the Ankara Gendermarie General Command Personnel Division Junior Officer Assignment Branch. I met up every two or three weeks with a mathematics teacher with the code name Osman who I believed to be the general imam of Gülen’s organization in the military- I do not know his address.

When the posting period was near, he would bring a list of 30–40 people concerning the posting of the personnel. I played more of a role in the postings after 2013. After the 17–25 December events I started to see less of Osman. In July 2015 I was appointed to the Ankara Gendermarie Commando
Special Public Security Command. I continued to see Osman. When they asked, I made as hefty a donation as I could. Starting from 1994 I used the code names Fatih and Halit in the organization. One did not use telephone for the meetings; at each meeting the date and hour of the next meeting would be determined.

“I learned about the plans for a coup on 12th July 2016, Tuesday. In evening I met with Osman who was the imam of the military and his superior, a man with code name Hakan at an office in a building that was near a medical centre in Tandoğan. Hakan said that there would be a big operation soon against members of Gülen’s organization within the military and that to prevent it the military would seize power on the night of 15th July 2016 at around 3:00. He explained that the order came from Fethullah Gülen Hodja, and that a few brigades would come from the western cities for support. He said that the operation would start with the capture of the General Chief of Staff Headquarters, and then all the other headquarters would be captured. Then martial law headquarters would be established in the cities.”

And who were these ‘elders’ that these officers were attached to?

One of the people arrested for the coup was General Chief of Staff Hulusi Akar’s aide Lieutenant-Colonel Levent Türkkan’s elder in the organisation, Muhammed Uslu. Uslu, who worked as a civil officer at the Prime Minister’s Office Executive Assistants Directorate, had the code name Murat. Uslu gave the name of the civil imam that he himself was attached to and the officers who answered to him. It is interesting that he didn’t even know the real names of some of his ‘subordinates’ within the hierarchy of the organisation: “Lieutenant-Colonel Levent Türkkan had the code name Ahmet, Mehmet Akkurt had the code name Ramazan, Major Fatih whose surname I did not know had the code name was Adem, the captain whose real name I did not know was code named ‘Yusuf, ‘ a junior officer working at the General Chief of Staff HQ, whose name I did not know had the code name ‘Rauf’…” “Elder Selahattin lives in Çukurambar. Elder Selahattin Abi is attached to Elder A. The highest ranking elder I know is Elder A…”

“Elder” Uslu’s testimony confirms that the organization of the coup was handled by this network of civilian imams. “One day before 15th July, on the Thursday Elder Selahattin came to my house without giving notice and spoke with some people in my living room. My wife told me when I came home that evening, and was angry at me. She said that Elder Selahattin first came on his own and asked my wife ‘Can I use your living room? I need to have a meeting’. Then my sister in law and my wife went into the kitchen, closed the door. So I do not know who Elder Selahattin spoke to. My wife said that after Selahattin came to the house the doorbell rang a few more times. Normally they do not come to the house when I am not there. This meant that there must have been an emergency situation- such that they had to hold a meeting in my house one day before the coup attempt. I do not know who came to the house.”

In Izmir a high ranking officer who testified to the Republic Prosecutor Berkant Karakaya under the name Kuzgun reveals that one of the elders that he met at a meeting he attended concerning the coup in a civilian house was an elder higher ranking than the others. It was Adil Öksüz.

“In this house in Ankara the people I knew were a friend from my year, Sinan Sürer and Ömer Faruk Harmancık. There were also Adil ÖKSÜZ whose name I learnt later, Hakan BIYIK whose name I similarly learned later. Apart from them there was a civilian man with long hair who had a ponytail, around 25–30 years old. In another meeting I went to in Ankara, I was given the mission to take the Marine Corps Admiral Command Director Serdar DÜLGER into custody. I objected and asked whether there would be armed conflict. I was told that the man would be in Izmir, Özdere, at the Air Forces Camp, that I would easily enter, knock on the door, invite Serdar Dülger out and face no problems”

Çetin Acar, who had come to the Ankara Combatting Terrorism Unit Headquarters to give information as part of the 9th December 2015 investigation into the Gülen Organization had said who Adil Öksüz was: ‘He is an Ankara University Theology graduate. After graduating he worked as mullah to Fetullah Gülen for many years in Istanbul. He is an assistant professor at Sakarya University Theology Faculty. After Fetullah Gülen went to the US, Mustafa Özcan became the imam of Turkey and so the position of the imam for the Air Force was transferred to him. I have heard that now he is the imam of the Marine Corps.”

However, Turkey would hear of the name of Adil Öksüz, either the Air Force or Marine Corps imam, only after 15th July 2016.

VII- The Epicentre of the Coup: 1857 Mount Eaton Rd. 18353 Saylorsburg Pennysylvania.

Since July 15th, 20088 military officials from the Turkish Armed Forces have been dismissed on the grounds that they participated in the coup and that they were members of the Gülen cult. The number of people dismissed from the Gendarmerie and the Police Forces is 12985. Close to 77000 civil servants who were identified as members of the Gülen cult based on various criteria including the use of the application Bylock have been dismissed, too.

3665 of the dismissed members of the military, most of whom were arrested, once occupied critically important positions in the army.

About half of the serving generals of the Turkish Armed Forces are under arrest over charges relating to the coup. Among them are heads of departments of Intelligence, Personnel and Planning at the office of the Chief of General Staff as well as air base and naval base commanders. The aides of the seven of the last eight chiefs of general staff were also arrested over charges relating to the coup. The regarding former chiefs of general staff include those who held office before AKP came to power and are known for their identification with secularism.

Among those arrested, there are not only generals who were in Turkey at the time of the coup, but also those stationed abroad in high ranking positions, some of whom are fugitives.

149 of the Turkish military officials who served in NATO in Europe and the USA were called back home. Some of these officials did not come back and are currently on the run.

Admiral Mustafa Zeki Uğurlu, who served at the NATO command in Norfolk, USA sought asylum in the USA after the coup. A warrant for his arrest had already been issued for the investigation of his misconduct in a military espionage case in Izmir. That case resulted in the arrests of Gülenist prosecutors and police officers who had instigated the wrongful arrests of 300 military officers who were framed as members of a prostitution and espionage gang.

Brigadier Şener Topuç, who was the Commander of the Turkish International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, and Cahit Bakır, the Commander of Turkish Task Force in Afghanistan, were called back to Turkey, but they fled to Dubai, where they were arrested at the airport and extradited to Turkey.

It also emerged later that Colonel Muhammed Tanju Poshor, who during past and present presidential offices of Abdullah Gül and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was the Commander of the Regiment of the Presidential Guard, came to Ankara on July 15th from Kosovo, where he served in the International Security Assistance Force and directed the putschists that occupied the headquarters of TRT that night.

What is most striking of all is the fact that the Commander of the Regiment of the Presidential Guard, as well as the President’s military aides who began their duties in 2015, were all arrested over charges relating to the coup when for the past three years the President himself has been in a staunch battle against the parallel state structure of the Gülen cult.

The Gülenist military aides managed to conceal their true loyalties and were able to work their way into offices closest to President Erdoğan.

The kind of clandestine organization activity that we piece together from all the evidence available and the testimonies made looks like something straight out of a Dan Brown novel.

Soldiers, who already had allegiance to the Gülen cult at the age of 14 when they entered military school, remained subordinate to civilian ‘elders’ throughout their professional lives as military officers. The form of this kind of organizing, the essential principle of which is secrecy, can be compared to a bunch of grapes. Two or three soldiers at most are subordinates to a civilian elder outside the army and not to the soldiers who are superiors and members of the cult, as a result of which, no one knows anyone else beyond their immediate circle.

Who then is at the top of this parallel army of ‘elders’?

General Hulusi Akar, the Chief of General Staff, who was taken into custody during the coup attempt and taken to the airbase at Akıncı, from where the coup was masterminded, answered this question in his testimony at the prosecutor’s office: “I shouted at them, I said “Who do you think you are? Who really are you? Where are those commanders of forces and that second head that you claim you have assembled? Where are the ministers? Bring forth whomever you say you have. Who is your head and who is your tail?” In reply to this, Hakan Evrim said something like “If you’d like, we can put you in contact with Fethullah Gülen, our opinion leader.” I scolded him and said, “I will not speak to anyone.

Turkey has a society that is divided on many issues and yet there is one thing on which everyone agrees: that the Gülen movement was behind the 15th July coup attempt.

The spokespersons of the four big political parties who came together in the damaged Parliament the day after the coup attemptand the leaders of the ruling party AKP and the opposition parties CHP and MHP (which altogether represent %87 of the electorate) who came together at the Istanbul Yenikapı meeting attended by 5 million people, had no hesitations about saying that Gülen’s organization was behind the coup. The name of the committee set up after the joint proposal of the four political parties (AKP, CHP, HDP, MHP) to investigate the coup was ‘The Commission to Investigate Fethullah Terror Organization’s 15th July 2016 Coup Attempt”

According to several polls that have been conducted in Turkey since July 2016 concerning who is thought to be behind the coup, the percentage of those who believed it was the Gülen Group was as follows: A&G (%88.1), Pollmark ( %88.2), Sonar ( %94), ORC ( %95), Genar (%71)

Still, despite the consensus in Turkey that the Gülen’s Organisation was behind the coup, Western media and decision makers have been hesitant to believe, from the very first day, that the coup was carried out by the Gülenist officers in the army.

More than the coup itself, they have concerned themselves with the civil and army officers who were dismissed; rather than show any interest for the loss of lives of those who resisted the coup, they concerned themselves with the human rights abuses against the army officers in custody. When the Turkish state asked for the extradition of Fethullah Gülen, US officials who have been hosting him since 1999 asked for “concrete evidence, ” and the US media often said that the evidence was not conclusive.

Obama, who condemned the coup two hours after the putsch began later said: “You know, this coup was serious”, Joe Biden visited US’s NATO ally Turkey 40 days after the coup and admitted that they first thought that the coup was “some concoction made up on the Internet and the Web.”

Fethullah Gülen, on the other hand, hosted all the major international networks and newspapers in his Pennsylvania ranch, gave interviews claiming that his organization, which members started to call ‘Hizmet’ later in their development, had nothing to do with the coup, saying the coup looked like a “Hollywood movie’” suggesting that the coup was a false flag operation carried out by the Turkish government.

The fact remains, however, that the traces that the Gülenists left after the coup, and the clear evidence one can see in open access sources, are enough to convince one that it was the Gülenists who were behind the coup.

Adil Öksüz and Kemal Batmaz who were arrested on July 15th, during the night of the coup at the Akıncı air base, had flew from Istanbul to New York on July 11th and come back on the 13rd after staying for only two days in the USA.

Now we can only guess which address they visited in the USA only a few days before the coup: 1857 Mount Eaton Rd. 18353 Saylorsburg Pennsylvania..

This is the real epicentre of the coup, the plotters of which bombed the Turkish parliament and killed 248 people. Turkey’s ally of 65 years hosts its supreme leader.

•© All Rights Reserved.
•Prepared By:
•Yıldıray Oğur, an Istanbul based journalist with the Turkish daily, Turkiye
•Ceren Kenar, an Istanbul based journalist with the Turkish daily Turkiye
•Thanks Tuba Ayaz, Nagihan Haliloğlu and Adam Mcconnel for the contributions to the report.

The ongoing row between Germany and Turkey has escalated, harsh diplomatic words transforming into decisive action with tangible economic, military and political consequences. The German government is seeking to relocate its military base in Incirlik, and authorities are to investigate allegations of Turkish spying on its soil.

German-Turkish Rift Spirals: Incirlik Base Under Review, Spy Claims Investigated
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201703291052090129-germany-turkey-relations-crisis/

The Ankara-Berlin rumpus had hitherto been purely verbal, and largely one-sided — Chancellor Angela Merkel had been careful to avoid engaging in the incendiary invective employed by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan et al, not wanting to compromise the European Union's refugee deal with Turkey.

However, the German government has evidently had enough — officials are scoping alternative locations for Bundeswehr troops currently stationed at a military base in Incirlik, Turkey, with potential options including three sites each in Kuwait and Jordan, and two in Cyprus, Akrotiri and Paphos. The alternative locations have already been visited in-the-flesh by German representatives, to review their "fundamental suitability," although the government stressed "no conversations with respect to possible stationing" had yet been undertaken.

The review was exposed following parliamentary enquiries by the Left Party, as well as four politicians from the parliamentary group representing Merkel's Christian Democratic Union and its Bavarian sister, the Christian Social Union. Left politicians reacted strongly, criticizing Merkel's government for not doing more to move troops amid souring ties between Germany and Turkey, and suggesting the review was token and purely symbolic.

"The government obviously has no interest in relocating German armed forces from Incirlik if they have not even had a conversation with the other countries where stationing is possible," said Jan van Aken, Left Party Foreign Affairs spokesperson.

The stationing of German troops in Incirlik has been a contentious issue since June 2016, when German MPs voted on a resolution recognizing the Armenian massacre in the Ottoman Empire as genocide. In response, Ankara barred German representatives from visiting the military base, with Erdogan accusing Germany of hypocrisy. In a foreshadowing of his subsequent "Nazi" jibes, he said the needed to atone for the Holocaust first before stating their opinion on the issue.

Even though Incirlik, near the town of Adana, is not a NATO facility it is of extreme importance to the alliance, serving as a base for airstrikes on Daesh positions in Iraq and Syria, and playing an important role in coalition actions in Afghanistan.

The US Air Force maintains a large airbase there, with around 2,000 troops and around 250 German soldiers with Tornado reconnaissance planes and a refueling aircraft are also temporarily stationed there. German troops are also stationed at another base in Konya, some 350 kilometers west of Incirlik.

Simultaneously, it was announced the Staatsanwaltschaft (German Prosecutor's Office) had launched an investigation into claims Turkish opposition supporters in Germany are being monitored by authorities in Ankara.

In January, the German Office for the Protection of the Constitution in North Rhine-Westphalia announced it had found imams at the Turkish-Islamic Union for Religious Affairs (DITIB) had passed on the names of some 28 alleged supporters of exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen to Turkish officials at their consulates in Cologne, Düsseldorf and Munich. These included a group of teachers in German state schools, which provide Islamic religious education.

In February, Turkish officials handed a list with names, addresses, telephone numbers and photographs of over 300 supporters of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen — whom Ankara blames for the failed Summer 2016 coup attempt — to Berlin. Merkel said Germany was willing to cooperate, but only if the country had issues of its own with the groups' activities. Germany was quickly established as a popular escape destination for fleeing Turkish officers implicated in the coup, with 149 believed to still be at large in the country.

Now, prosecutors will examine how Turkey managed to compile such detailed information, and whether it maintains surveillance of its own in light of Merkel's reticence.

"Espionage activities on German soil are punishable and not tolerated by us. In this country, German law applies, and citizens living here are not being spied on by foreign states," Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said.

It's not merely Germany where Turkey is believed to be spying on critical elements — Swedish Security Police SAPO has claimed Ankara is monitoring Turkish nationals residing there too. Sweden, a nation of 10 million, is home to 75,000 Turkish diaspora, of which 45,000 were born in Turkey.

Turkey will use unmanned aerial assault vehicles in military operations against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), expanding their military's current practice of utilizing surveillance drones to locate militants on the ground, Osman Kaymak, the governor of the eastern Turkish province of Tunceli, said Wednesday.

Turkey to Use Assault Drones in Operations Against Kurdistan Workers’ Party
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703291052085927-turkey-drones-assault-kurds/

Tensions between Ankara and Turkish Kurds escalated in July 2015, when a ceasefire between Turkey and the PKK collapsed over a series of terrorist attacks, allegedly committed by PKK members. PKK is considered by Turkey to be a terrorist organization.

“Last year about 70 – 80 terrorists were neutralized during one operation. The surveillance drones gave information about gathering of terrorists and after that the Air Forces carried out an operation. But it took about an hour. In order not to lose time, this year assault drones will be used during anti-terror operations,” Kaymak told the Anadolu news agency.

He added that surveillance drone operations proved highly efficient as their use resulted in the elimination of 150 PKK fighters in the province during 2016-2017.

A Syrian citizen was arrested on Wednesday in Turkey for recruiting European individuals as members of Daesh terror group, local media reported.

Syrian Citizen Arrested in Turkey Over Recruiting Daesh Terrorists From Europe
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201703291052081803-syrian-istanbul-daesh-recruiting/

Turkish intelligence started to keep surveillance on Sahwan Qahwati after he entered Turkey on March 15, detaining him en route to Istanbul with his wife, the Daily Sabah media outlet reported. During the questioning he said that he was going to leave Turkey for Europe.

Police found several photos proving Qahwati’s links to Daesh, including a photo with him holding a knife to the throat of an unidentified man.

Investigators also revealed Qahwati’s relations to two senior Daesh members – Mahamad Laban of Denmark and Mohammed Tefik Saleh of Sweden.

After 14 days of questioning, Qahwati was brought to a court in Turkey’s southern province of Adana, while his wife was deported to Syria.

With high hopes in place ahead of Rex Tillerson's visit to Turkey, the reality proved less optimistic because the US Secretary of State failed to reach a consensus with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on all pressing bilateral issues, according to Russian political analyst Gevorg Mirzayan.

Cold Turkey: US Secretary of State Fails to See Eye to Eye With Erdogan
https://sputniknews.com/world/201704011052195607-turkey-united-states-tillerson-visit/

In an opinion piece for RIA Novosti, political analyst Gevorg Mirzayan of the Russian Government's Finance Institute specifically focused on US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's visit to Turkey late last month, which he said failed to meet US expectations.

During the March 30 visit, Tillerson had to get acquainted with the Turkish leadership and attempt to defuse bilateral tensions which Mirzayan said could end in a severance of US-Turkish relations.

"After all, Turkey, which independently resolves issues of cooperation with Russia and Iran, creates problems for Americans. Especially given that it is still a NATO member and any problems pertaining to Turkey immediately become NATO problems," Mirzayan said.

Although Tillerson was able to meet with Turkey's leader, he was unable to meet his key objective of dispelling key tensions between the countries, Mirzayan added, referring to Tillerson's unwillingness to reach a compromise with Ankara on Gulen's alleged role in Turkey's coup and the Kurdish problem.

The Gulen Issue

Gulen, an Islamic cleric who lives in Pennsylvania, remains one of the most serious opponents of Erdogan and remains a thorn in his side despite his exile.

The cleric allegedly controls a whole network of supporters in Turkey and is working to prevent Erdogan from building the sultanate. Mirzayan recalled that Gulen's extradition could prompt Erdogan to make considerable concessions to Washington.

"However, Tillerson and Erdogan failed to agree on the extradition because actually, President Trump cannot extradite Gulen, who allegedly cooperates with US intelligence. According to some sources, US intelligence often uses Gulen's network structures to realize their goals," Mirzayan said.

Considering the already-complicated relations between Trump and the CIA, the US President is unlikely to spoil them even further, he added, not ruling out that Gulen could become a lever for the White House to put pressure on the CIA.

The Kurdish Problem

Mirzayan recalled that President Erdogan demands that the US stop supporting the Syrian Kurds.

He quoted Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu as saying that "the United States recognizes the Kurdish People's Self-Defense Forces and the Democratic Union Party as terrorist organizations but despite this, America continues to help them, and this affects our bilateral relations."

"For Washington, the choice is, in fact, obvious. They are not going to abandon the Kurds, because it is the Kurdish forces who are advancing on Raqqa, Daesh's self-proclaimed capital in Syria. Also, it is the Kurds who do not set any specific conditions for the Americans, who need the Kurds much more than Erdogan," Mirzayan said.

In addition, he added, the Turks themselves say that they will not participate in the liberation of Raqqa, with Erdogan insisting that to fight terrorism, the US should rely on "legitimate" partners.

What's more, Turkey currently urges both the White House an Tillerson to make a choice between "Turkish allies" and "Kurdish terrorists."

Meanwhile, Tillerson has pledged that US President Donald Trump's administration will continue to build ties with its long-standing NATO partner Turkey in the years to come.

"In the US, the people of Turkey have a trusted ally and a partner who is committed to its safety and security and advancing economic opportunity. … The Trump administration will continue to build ties with the long-standing ally and our friend," Tillerson said at a press briefing in Ankara.

Turkey and the United States will stay together as part of the US-led coalition seeking to defeat Daesh, he added.

Moscow Confirms 'New Information' About Murder of Russian Ambassador

http://russia-insider.com/en/moscow-confirms-new-information-about-murder-russian-ambassador/ri19388

The Russian Foreign Ministry says new information about the assassination of Russian Ambassador Andrei Karlov will be released soon.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said that new information about the murder of Andrei Karlov, Russia's ambassador to Turkey, has been confirmed and that an update about the investigation will be released soon.

During a press briefing in Moscow, Zakharova responded to the following question:

Question: "How far has the investigation into the murder of the Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov got? There were reports about a Russian girl who was allegedly involved, but they have not been confirmed."

Maria Zakharova: "Russian experts from several agencies are involved in the investigation. This is serious interdepartmental work. Contacts with our Turkish partners are maintained primarily via our embassy in Ankara. As you said, new information has come to light, just as in any other investigation. Some pieces of information are confirmed and others are not. I expect to be able to provide you with the latest information very soon."

Reports emerged last month that a Russian national — described as an escort — was arrested in Turkey in connection to Karlov's murder. At the time, Turkish sources confirmed the arrest, but Moscow declined to comment.
Karlov was shot in an Ankara art gallery by a Turkish policeman on December 19, 2016. The Kremlin denounced the murder as “a provocation” designed to derail the peace process in Syria and harm relations between Russia and Turkey.

The Turkish Prosecutor's Office has launched a probe into 17 individuals, including several prominent US officials and academics, suspected of having links to dissident Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, accused by Ankara of organizing a coup attempt in 2016, local media reported Saturday.

Turkish Investigators Launch Probe Into 17 Individuals on Having Links to Gulen
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201704151052676602-turkey-gulen-probe/

According to Anadolu news agency the investigators launched probe in particular on Former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director John Brennan, New York Senator Chuck Schumer, US attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) President David Cohen and Director of the Middle East Program at Wilson Center Henri Barkey.

The prosecutor's office would check visits of those individuals to Turkey, their meeting or any other contacts with the Gulenist Terror Group (FETO), as well as speeches and social media posts related to the FETO.

A military coup attempt took place in Turkey in July 2016. It was suppressed by government forces, with over 240 people killed and an estimated 2,000 wounded. Ankara has accused Gulen, who has lived in the US state of Pennsylvania since 1999, and his followers, of playing a key role in the coup. Following the attempted coup, the Turkish forces arrested thousands of people, including journalists, servicemen and activists on suspicion of having ties to Gulen.

Over 4,000 public officials, including justice ministry workers and military servicemen, were sacked in a follow up to a series of dismissals related to the failed July 2016 coup attempt, media reported, citing officials.

Over 4,000 Officials Fired in Turkey in Crackdown Over Failed Coup Attempt
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201704301053150081-officials-turkey-crackdown-coup/

The Saturday's purge involves over 2,000 justice ministry employees and army staff, as well as over 100 air force pilots, the BBC broadcaster reported.

The same day, the country's authorities imposed a ban in a separate decree on TV dating shows, explaining that they undermined Turkish customs and traditions, according to the broadcaster.

The measures came after Turkey blocked access to the online encyclopedia Wikipedia over articled alleging Ankara's cooperation with various terror groups on Saturday.

Norway granted asylum to four Turkish officers and a military attache, who previously served in NATO headquarters in Brussels, after the applicants requested protection in fear of being persecuted and jailed by Ankara following a failed coup attempt in Turkey in 2016, local media reported Wednesday, citing a group’s lawyer.

Norway Grants Asylum to 5 Turkish Ex-NATO Officials Accused of 2016 Coup Attempt
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201703221051844646-norway-nato-asylum-coup/

In January, 89 Turkish citizens, among them military officers and diplomats, applied for asylum in Norway in 2016 to escape persecution by Ankara.

The former military representatives will now have the right to reside and work in Norway, according to their lawyer Kjell M. Brygfjeld, according to the media outlet Turkish Minute.

On January 28, German media reported that 40 Turkish soldiers, who used to serve in NATO bases before the coup attempt, had requested asylum in Germany. Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik urged Berlin to reject their applications, warning that the asylum grant process could strain relations between the two countries.

The Turkish permanent representative to the UN announced that Turkey will not follow the ruling of the UN MICT to liberate its judge Aydin Sefa Akay arrested on the charges of coup attempt.

Turkey to Not Liberate UN Judge Arrested for Coup Attempt – Representative to UN
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703211051800928-turkey-un-judge-coup/

Turkey will not follow the ruling of the UN Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) to liberate its judge Aydin Sefa Akay, arrested in Turkey on the charges of participating in the July 2016 coup attempt, due to the ruling's invalidity, Feridun Sinirlioglu, the permanent representative of Turkey to the United Nations, said Tuesday.

Turkey considers this ruling invalid, as it has no legal force, Sinirlioglu wrote in a letter to the UN Security Council.

The Turkish official stressed that the MICT had exceeded its authority, calling its ruling to liberate Akay unlawful. According to Sinirlioglu, Akay was a Turkish citizen who had been arrested on charges of involvement in the Gulen movement (FETO), which is seen by Ankara as the organizer of the failed coup attempt of July 2016. The judge did not have immunity in the case as was arrested for activities which lay beyond his scope of responsibility for the United Nations.

Akay, who had worked as part of the MICT on the investigation into war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia, was arrested in Turkey last September. The arrest became the first case of UN judge’s immunity violation.

In January, the MICT said that Turkish authorities should liberate Akay. According to the court’s ruling, Akay's detention violated his diplomatic immunity and judicial independence, and therefore he should have been liberated by February 14.

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag will meet with US Attorney General Jeff Sessions in Washington on May 8 to discuss the extradition of US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, accused by Ankara of masterminding the last year coup attempt in Turkey, media reported Saturday.

Turkish Justice Minister, US Attorney General to Discuss Gulen’s Extradition
https://sputniknews.com/world/201705061053337654-turkey-us-gulen-extradition/

During the visit, Bozdag will provide Sessions with new evidence about Gulen's activities, the Anadolu Agency said, citing a ministry source.

The minister’s visit will take place ahead of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to the United States, scheduled for mid-March (? - May).

Gulen and his followers were accused by Ankara of organizing the July 2016 coup attempt in Turkey that claimed the lives of over 240 people and left some 2,000 more injured. Following the attempted coup, Turkish security forces have arrested thousands of people on suspicion of having ties to Gulen, who has denied allegations of masterminding the government takeover.

Malaysia’s police chief confirmed the arrest of a former vice chair of a Turkish university who Ankara accuses of links to the last year’s coup attempt.

Malaysia Detains Turkish Academic Linked by Ankara to Failed Turkey Coup
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201705061053330016-malaysia-detains-turkey-coup-linked/

Malaysia’s police chief confirmed Friday the arrest of a former vice chair of a Turkish university who Ankara accuses of links to a group blamed for last year’s coup attempt, Turkish media reported.

"He was not involved in terror activities throughout his 12-year stay here before this. But when he began to get involved, we acted," Inspector-General Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters, as quoted by the Anadolu news agency.

Bakar said the suspect, Ismet Ozcelik, was detained Thursday for posing a threat to national security. He denied that police had acted at Ankara’s request. Earlier this week, Malaysian authorities captured two other Turkish men suspected by Turkey of being part of the banned FETO movement.

Tens of thousands of academics, civil servants, police and military personnel have been detained or laid off on suspicion of being associated with FETO’s alleged leader Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric accused of masterminding the July 15 failed coup.

German media reported that Turkish intelligence had been spying on ethnic Turks they suspect of supporting Gulen and gave Berlin a list of hundreds of targets they wanted to be handed over to Turkey. Germany reportedly refused.

Turkey dismissed a total of 107 judges and prosecutors over their suspected links to US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Turkey Dismisses 107 Judges, Prosecutors Over Suspected Links to Coup
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201705051053326914-turkey-dismisses-judges-coup-links/

Turkey dismissed on Friday a total of 107 judges and prosecutors over their suspected links to US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, who stands accused by Ankara of masterminding last year’s failed coup, local media reported.

The authorities have also issued arrest warrants for all those who had just been removed from their positions, the Daily Sabah media outlet reported.

One of the ousted judges had ruled to release Adil Oksuz, who is considered one of the key figures in the failed government takeover, shortly after the latter's detention. As a result, Oksuz fled the country.

A Turkish court refused to restore access to the website of Wikipedia, blocked by the country's authorities in late April.

Court Rejects Appeal on Restoring Access to Wikipedia
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201705051053311211-turkey-wikipedia-access-not-restored/

According to Yeni Safak newspaper, an appeal of the non-profit and charitable organization Wikimedia was rejected by an Ankara court.

On April 29, Turkey’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority said that access to the Wikipedia website was blocked in the country after an analysis and consideration based on the country's legislation regarding internet regulation. According to the ministry, several articles published on Wikipedia portrayed Turkey as a country coordinating its efforts with various terrorist groups.

The Turkish authorities vowed to restore access to Wikipedia if the website removed the controversial content.

Turkey's crackdown on journalists and restrictions on freedom of speech has been condemned by the international community, including the United Nations, the United States, the European Union, Russia and the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) organization. Turkey ranks 151th out of 180 countries in the RSF 2017 press freedom index.

ANGELA Merkel is considering withdrawing all German soldiers from Turkey in a major diplomatic snub.

Angela Merkel 'to withdraw all German soldiers from Turkey' in MAJOR diplomatic row (Video)
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/804789/angela-merkel-turkey-erdogan-soldiers-army

It comes after Turkey refused to allow German politicians to visit soldiers at Incirlik air base.

The German Chancellor said today: "This is unfortunate, and we have made this clear through various channels. "We will continue to talk with Turkey, but in parallel we will have to explore other ways of fulfilling our mandate."

More than 250 German soldiers are stationed at the base, contributing to NATO's mission targeting Islamist State militants in neighbouring Syria.
The military personnel fly Tornado surveillance missions over the wartorn country, and refuel flights for partner nations battling ISIS extremists.

Turkish foreign ministry sources told Reuters that a visit by German parliamentarians "would not be appropriate at this time". Turkey similarly refused access to German authorities late last year, although that visit eventually went ahead.

Speaking to reporters, Angela Merkel said: "We will continue to talk with Turkey, but in parallel we will have to explore other ways of fulfilling our mandate.
"That means looking at alternatives to Incirlik, and one alternative among others is Jordan." For historic reasons and as part of efforts to prevent abuse of power, the Bundeswehr army is controlled by the German parliament - not the government - meaning lawmakers have the right to inspect its activities, with the country and abroad.

A spokesman for the German foreign minister said it was "completely unacceptable" for Turkey to keep members of the parliamentary defence committee from visiting their own soldiers.

Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel is expected to raise the issue with colleagues from other NATO governments in Washington on Tuesday.

Relations between Ankara and Berlin deteriorated sharply in the run-up to an April 16 referendum in Turkey - which saw President Tayyip Erdogan's powers dramatically increase.

Citing public safety concerns, Germany banned Turkish politicians from addressing rallies of expatriate Turks, prompting Erdogan to accuse Berlin of "Nazi-like" tactics. Only a narrow majority of Turks had backed changing the constitution which grant Mr Erdogan sweeping executive powers.

Germany and other Western allies have voiced concern about what they fear is a drift towards authoritarian rule in Turkey.

More recently, Berlin angered Ankara by granting asylum to some Turkish holders of diplomatic passports.

According to reports in German media, more than 400 Turkish military personnel, diplomats, judges and other officials - along with their relatives - had sought political asylum in Germany.

They fear being caught up in Turkey's crackdown against those Mr Erdogan blames for last year's failed coup attempt - namely supporters of Fethullah Gulen, a reclusive US-based Islamic preacher who has denied the charges against him.

Turkish authorities have detained tens of thousands of officials on suspicion of involvement. The vast crackdown heightened tensions between Turkey and Germany, which is home to a three-million-strong ethnic Turkish population, the legacy of a massive "guest worker" program in the 1960s and 1970s.

Last year Turkey banned German lawmakers from visiting the base for months in response to a resolution in the German parliament declaring the 1915 massacre of Armenians by Ottoman forces a genocide - a term Ankara rejects.

In response, a furious Mr Erdogan accused German lawmakers of Turkish origin of having "tainted blood".

Armenians claim more than 1.5 million people were killed between 1915 and 1917 as the Ottoman Empire was falling apart. However, Turkey rejects these numbers - arguing that the figure lies between 300,000 to 500,000 Armenian death, adding that just as many Turks lost their life too.

In January 2017, the Minister of Economic Cooperation of Germany Gerd Muller offered to launch a new “Marshall Plan” for Africa. The minister’s rhetoric appealed to help African countries to develop their own economics with the support of the EU, and both sides would benefit from it. However, historical connotations with the original Marshall Plan have same frightening points. What if Africa would be lead into a new economical bondage, this time depending not on IMF and the World Bank (the debts to this structures will continue to grow), but in addition on the European Union? What if the bondage would be deeper, just like it happened with Germany and France in post-war years? These countries had to sign package agreements, buying imposed goods and services, including cultural.

German "Marshall Plan" for Africa
https://www.geopolitica.ru/en/article/german-marshall-plan-africa

The German plan was revealed now not by chance. Firstly, the development of it is connected to the Club of Rome - organization, establishing global strategies that do not consider interests of countries these strategies are aimed on. Secondly, in 2017 the African Union was planning to launch a Continental Zone of free trade, despite the fact the project was only on a stage of discussion. Since Africa does not have any large agreements with the West, for example the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, where USA gets the most preferences, it is obvious this fact forces Germany to be the first to establish its own influence on the continent through the EU.

Even though there are several regional agreements with the EU, there has been no pan-African strategy until now, but a close interest in Africa has been growing.

It is explained by the fact that economics of several African countries including Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda have been growing by 5 % per year in the last few years. Some countries possess large amounts of natural resources, including energy raw materials. It is expected that with the significant growth of the population, which would be doubled to 2.5 billion people until 2050, African countries will need to create tens of millions of new working places.

It is significant that currently about 60% of all working places in Africa are created with the help of Chinese investments. Since China always attracts its own workforce on a temporary basis, Germany wants to use it as a platform for its entry into the African market.

The German Institute for international and security affairs points out that it is necessary to “discuss the role of the private sector in the African development and closely consider the German’s participation in it. Because of the main role medium-sized businesses played, the German private sector particularly relies on a safe environment for its investments… If steps to encourage German business circles in Africa are already being taken, it is important to avoind different harmful side effects, such as the “release” effect of movements of private investments with the governmental support. However, the discussion should not be focus only on the needs of the private sector. While the latter will have to provide the bulk of the investments and create the work places Africa needs, it can only be successful if the African government creates an industrial environment with their policies and investments, in the areas of education, health and infrastructure for example.

Since Germany and the EU in general would unlikely supply their workforce to Africa (the population of Western Europe rapidly ages and rather they need an external influx of migrants), then the German business will come to the infrastructure partly prepared by the Chinese, but at the same time will discredit China by justifying the need to crate work places for local residents.

It is important to point out that German interest in Africa in not something new. It is enough to recall the colonial policy of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Some areas of Western, Central and Eastern Africa were the colonial possessions of Germany, but in the current format the German “Marshall Plan” mostly reminds of the ambitious plan of the second half of the 20th century.

Back in 1951, Anton Zischka quite definitely called Africa an appendage of Europe and proposed the project of Eurafrica. Back then Western capitalism had several goals. Firstly, the road to the East was closed (both politically and economically). Germany recently lost the war and part of Europe was under the Soviet weapons. Release was clear only to the south - to Africa. In addition, at that time most of the African countries were still colonies of European powers. Zischka relied on the Franco-German alliance, which could strengthen in Africa and expand its influence through activity of many concerns. However, understanding the possible resistance from the African national liberation movements, the Eurafrica project was submitted as a gradual decolonization and convergence of the new African states into the Western European political system.

These plans were not destined to happen, as the process of decolonization went another way. Mostly because of the direct or indirect support of the Soviet Union, which outplayed the European Social Democrats.

At that time, it was only possible to sign a convention about the inclusion of all colonies in the European Economic Community in 1957 (together with the Rome Statute). Although new agreements were prepared after the former colonies received independence (the two Yaound conventions in 1963 and 1969 respectively), in fact they limited the sovereignty of African countries in foreign trade and domestic economic policies.

It seems that now the EU and Germany in particular are ready to embark on an ambitious plan for a new colonization of Africa.

Nevertheless, the main role will now be assigned to financial instruments and the bet will be placed on the private sector. With multibillion-dollar injections, which EU President Antonio Tajani mentioned in the context of this plan, the statehood itself in many African countries can undergo significant changes. Where are the guarantees that the financial flows will not affect the traditionally established models and the balance of power in Africa, because the Arab Spring showed excellent opportunities for disorganization of entire regions?

A political umbrella for this can be presented at the upcoming G-20 summit, where Germany will preside. However, on the other hand, there are restrictions related to the upcoming parliamentary elections, as the relevant decisions are unlikely to be made before the reorganization of the political balance in the Bundestag.

The initiative was met mostly cautiously in Africa. So, the son of former Ugandan President Hussein Lumumba Amin noted that this plan is linked to the strategy of political exclusion and is a pre-election stunt, since Germany has serious problems with migrants. In addition, 80% of all current Western aid is spent on administrative costs, and contractors are usually the same Western organizations.

Other African researchers recalled that Germany has not yet paid reparations for the genocide in Africa, and the claims are already being examined by the relevant authorities.

In addition, the name itself in Africa is clearly perceived as humiliating. After World War II, Europe lay in ruins. Therefore, the German initiative is perceived as an attempt to reconstruct Africa from the outside, without the consent of the Africans.

More than 200 Turkish military officials, including 27 generals, have been put on trial for their part in the July 2016 coup attempt. They, along with 12 others not in the military, face life in prison -- and possibly the gallows -- if found guilty of the charges.

Trial Begins for 200+ Ringleaders of Turkey Coup, Who Face Life in Prison
https://sputniknews.com/politics/201705231053875443-turkey-coup-leaders-trial-begins/

Former commander of the Turkish Air Force Akın Öztürk, who has been accused of masterminding the coup, will stand trial. Other high-profile defendants include Ali Yazici, Erdogan's former personal military aide, and Levent Turkkan, the former military aide to Turkish Armed Forces commander Hulusi Akar.

Out of the 209 total, one four-star general (Öztürk), three three-star lieutenant generals, four two-star major generals, 16 one-star brigadier generals, and three rear admirals will stand trial.

The suspects were paraded through the streets of Ankara as pro-government demonstrators barraged them with jeers. Some of them threw nooses at the accused as a symbolic call for the reinstatement of the death penalty.

Capital punishment was outlawed in Turkey in 2004 as part of a push to join the European Union, but Erdogan claimed that he would renew the death penalty after the coup if parliament or a public referendum wills it.

"We want the death penalty, we don't want them to be fed and housed here. We want these traitors to be buried without any flag," protester Cengiz Ozturk told Al Jazeera.

"I am here to settle the score with terrorists, I am here to show that I stand by my people, my flag, and my religion," said another protester, Mehmet Yaman, to Reuters. "I am here to show the terrorists that we will stand firm. I want them sentenced to death in a fair trial, I want the traitors of this country to be punished."

Öztürk led the procession of prisoners, who have been accused of "violating the constitution," "using coercion and violence in an attempt to overthrow" the Turkish government, "martyring 250 citizens" and "attempting to kill 2,735 citizens," according to Turkish newspaper Hurriyet.

Anadolu, the Turkish government's news agency, reported that approximately 1,500 personnel would be providing security during the trial, which is expected to last through June. Armored vehicles, rooftop snipers, and overhead drones were all part of the procession.

Twelve of the 221 being charged will be tried in absentia, most notably Fethullah Gulen, preacher and Erdogan's former right-hand-man who became one of his most bitter enemies following their 2013 falling-out. Gulen, who lives in exile in the United States, has been accused of masterminding the uprising. He denies the charges.

More than 47,000 people have been arrested in Turkey for having suspected ties to either Gulen or the "Peace at Home Council," which attempted to overthrow Erdogan's government in July 2016.

"Fundamental rights and freedoms, as well as the secular democratic legal structure based on the separation of powers, have been abolished by the heedless, misguided and even treacherous president and government officials," the Council said in a statement during the failed coup.

Another 100,000 individuals have lost their jobs as a result of their alleged involvement in the coup, more than half of them in law enforcement or education.

Former Turkish Air Force Commander Gen. Akin Ozturk on Tuesday pleaded not guilty to the charge of involvement in last year's thwarted military coup attempt.

Ex-Turkish Air Force Chief Denies Involvement in 2016 Coup Attempt
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201705231053910446-turkey-air-force-coup/

Turkish authorities detained Ozturk on July 16, 2016, a day after the failed coup attempt. Shortly thereafter, Turkish media reported that the coup's organizers had planned to appoint Ozturk as the next Turkish president and that the former serviceman had confessed to plotting the coup.

Ozturk added that the media reports claiming that he had admitted guilt in plotting the failed military coup were false, as such reports emerged before he had begun to testify.

The 62 members of the military personnel, who participated in the July coup attempt, face life imprisonment, as Prosecutor’s Office in Istanbul has brought first indictments against them, local media reported Monday.

Turkish Prosecutors Demand Life Sentence for 62 Coup Attempt Participants
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201611281047921763-life-imprisonments-coup/

According to the NTV broadcaster, the prosecutors demanded triple life sentences for 62 servicemen, including 28 officers, who tried to seize Sabiha Gokcen airport in Istanbul.

Turkey's Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants for 144 people in the Turkish Armed Forces on suspicion of ties to the movement of US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, local media reported on Tuesday.

Turkish Prosecutors Issue Hundreds of Arrest Warrants for Alleged Gulen Backers
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201705231053889093-turkey-arrest-gulen-backers/

In turn, the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants for 124 people in six provinces because they were using a smartphone application called ByLock, which the authorities believe to be the messenger of choice for Gulen followers, Athe Anadolu news agency reported.

Arrest warrants were also issued for 33 employees of the Turkish Telecommunications Authority (BTK) and 36 employees of the Capital Markets Board (SPK), which is Turkish financial regulatory authority.

Albania to launch an investigation into those suspect of having ties to the July 2016 coup attempt in Turkey, Albanian Chief Prosecutor Adriatik Llala said Tuesday.

Albania to Probe Suspected Turkish Coup Hiding Participants – Prosecutor
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201705231053912031-albania-probe-turkey-prosecutor/

"Albanian authorities will launch a probe in this regard [against people linked to the coup]," Llala told reporters as quoted by the Daily Sabah newspaper, adding that Ankara demanded Tirana’s cooperation in searching for individuals linked to the Fethullahist Terror Organization (FETO), the movement which Ankara blames for the attempted takeover.

Llala suggested that those who allegedly took part in the failed government takeover could be concealing their identities by "posing as businesspeople," according to the Daily Sabah.

According to the newspaper, the Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals prosecutor delivered the state’s request to Llala.

Tirana is currently hosting the International Association of Prosecutor’s (IAP) Conference, which is devoted to the topic of "New Investigative Approaches to Tackle Criminal Organizations using Internet." The event began on Monday and is scheduled to run until Wednesday. Prosecutors from various regional and European states, including Turkey, have arrived to attend the conference.

Germany, France, the Netherlands and Denmark have said they "vehemently" oppose the annual NATO summit being held in Turkey after a downturn in relations between the EU and Istanbul since the Turkey Government's crackdown on the media and opposition following the failed coup July 2016.

Divisions Within NATO Grow Over Turkish Crackdown Following Coup
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201705311054167425-turkey-nato-germany-summit/

Turkey was slated to hold the next summit, due 2018, in Istanbul, but — according to German newspaper Die Welt — Germany, France, the Netherlands and Denmark have all put pressure on other members to hold the summit elsewhere because of increasing tensions between Europe and Ankara.

"We do not want to enhance Turkey's international credentials and we want to avoid the impression that NATO supports the Turkish government's internal policy," high-ranking NATO diplomats said, according to Die Welt.

Germany will decide on the redeployment of its military forces from the Turkish Incirlik base to another country by mid-June. The move is a response to Ankara's decision to ban a group of German lawmakers from visiting Incirlik.

Incirlik Crisis 'Reflects Existing Serious Problems Within NATO'
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201705311054167046-incirlik-problems-within-nato/

According to Haldun Solmaztürk, former head of the Office for International Security of the General Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces, Turkey and Germany no longer regard each other as allies.

Alliances of states are created in order to provide mutual support to each other. The fact that a crisis has developed between the two NATO member countries around the Incirlik base actually reflects the existing serious problems not only in Turkish-German relations, but also within NATO," the expert told Sputnik Turkey.

At the same time, Solmaztürk noted the the Turkish-German crisis over the Incirlik military base is a superficial reflection of deep disagreements between the two countries.

This crisis and the unwillingness of the parties to resolve it prove that Turkey and Germany no longer treat each other as member states of the common alliance that are obliged to protect and support each other. Today the relations between Ankara and Berlin are openly hostile. It is hard to say whether the German troops will eventually be relocated from Incirlik. But the very fact that such question has arisen makes us think about the causes of this crisis," the expert noted.

Ankara will not allow German lawmakers to visit the Incirlik air base as long as Germany takes steps against Turkey, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Tuesday.

German Lawmakers Not to Visit Incirlik While Germany Acts Against Turkey - FM
https://sputniknews.com/world/201705301054133437-german-lawmakers-incirlik/

Turkey blocked a group of German lawmakers from visiting the air base earlier in May prompting Chancellor Angela Merkel to suggest that Berlin may consider moving some 250 troops stationed at Incirlik to one of the neighboring countries.

Germany negatively looks at Turkey, and now they say: 'We want to come to Incirlik'. Germany must understand that Turkey, which it can force to do what it wants, and to get what it wants from it, exists no longer. This remains in the past. In such conditions it is impossible to allow German parliamentarians to visit Incirlik. On Monday we will discuss this issue with German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel," Cavusoglu told reporters in Ankara.

Germany has decided to give Ankara two weeks to resolve their dispute over the Incirlik air base, where German deputies were refused access to Bundeswehr troops earlier this month.

Two Weeks Or We're Out of Here: Berlin Hands Ankara Ultimatum Over Incirlik
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201705291054083680-germany-turkey-incirlik-visit-bundeswehr/

The German government has given Turkey two weeks to resolve issues regarding Berlin's use of the Incirlik air base, or the Bundeswehr will move its contingent to a different base, German officials said on Friday.

At a meeting for Bundestag deputies on Friday, officials from the foreign affairs and defense ministries said that they planned to hold two weeks of talks with Ankara over the issue, before taking a decision on whether to relocate, Spiegel Online reported.

Incirlik is mainly used by the Turkish and US armed forces, but Germany has around 260 Bundeswehr soldiers, Tornado jets and aircraft tankers at the base, to assist with anti-Daesh operations.

The United States said on Tuesday that its transfers of weapons to the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Unit (YPG) have officially begun, much to the consternation of NATO ally Turkey.

Turkey Likely Enraged Following US Weapons Delivery to Kurds
https://sputniknews.com/military/201705311054157410-us-kurds-weapons-warning/

The Pentagon's spokesman Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway said that the Kurdish fighter have been the recipients of US-provided small arms and military vehicles ready for the push to take the Raqqa from Daesh who have used at as their de-facto capital in the war-torn country.

While there has been no reflexive response from Turkey as of yet, the NATO member state previously delivered a stern warning to the United States, saying that bilateral relations would be ruptured if the arms were delivered to the YPG.

Turkey deems the Syria Kurdish groups as terrorists who work in cahoots with the outlawed Turkish Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which has been intermittently waging guerrilla warfare against the Rakish state since the late 1970s. At the same time, the US military sees the YPG as the most battle-tested and effective fighting force on the ground against Daesh.

Michael Flynn's company reportedly received a $530,000 payment from a former chief of Turkish military intelligence to produce a pro-government documentary.

Turkish Government Gave Flynn’s Company $530,000 to Make Documentary
https://sputniknews.com/us/201705311054142576-flynn-payed-turkey-half-million/

Former US National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's company received a $530,000 payment from a former chief of Turkish military intelligence to produce a pro-government documentary, media reported.

Flynn travelled to Turkey last year in fall to close the agreement related to the film's production with a Turkish businessman, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The report noted that the documentary, that was planned to restore the country's image after the military coup attempt in July 2016, has been neither finished nor distributed. However, it demonstrated the work Flynn Intel Group has done for the government of Turkey, the report stated.

In March, the newspaper said citing former Central Intelligence Agency Director James Woolsey that Flynn had conversations with the Turkish ministers while serving as an adviser to the campaign of President Donald Trump.

Flynn announced his resignation on February 13 after media revealed the fact that he has misled the Trump administration about the extent of his talks with Russian officials.

Turkish military officials have announced that an AS 532 Cougar military helicopter got entangled in high-voltage power lines, leading to a crash that killed thirteen Turkish military personnel.

Thirteen Killed in Turkish Military Helicopter Crash
https://sputniknews.com/military/201705311054175195-turkish-military-helicopter-crash/

The crash occurred at about 7:40 PM local time, just three minutes after take-off.

It took place near the town of Uludere in the Senoba district of Sirnak Province, less than 40 miles from Turkey's border with Iraq.

The military claims that a general was among those killed, along with two colonels and four lower-ranking officers, reported Turkish news agency IHA.

Turkish military forces are embroiled in conflict with Kurdish PKK militants who are based out of Sirnak's mountain ranges.

The German cabinet gave the green light to withdraw the nation’s troops from Incirlik Airbase in Turkey, local media said.

German Government Approves Withdrawal of Troops from Incirlik Base in Turkey
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960317000971

The move comes after Berlin failed to negotiate a resolution to ongoing tensions with Ankara, which was obstructing inspections of the Turkish base by German MPs. The parliament is yet to approve the end of the deployment, RT reported.

Parliamentary oversight over foreign deployment of German troops is strongly endorsed in the country’s law.

“Incirlik is a good airbase for the fight against ISIL, but we cannot accept not being able to visit our soldiers,” German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen said on Monday, as cited by Deutsche Welle.

Some 280 troops and several Tornado fighter jets, which are used for reconnaissance missions in Syria, are currently stationed at Incirlik.

The Turkish deployment was approved by the German parliament in 2016 in response to the terrorist attacks in Paris in December 2015.

The six German fighter jets, a tanker plane serving them and the military personnel are expected to be transferred from Turkey to Jordan. The process may take two or three months after the Bundestag approves the suggested redeployment.

“Above all, we should organize the withdrawal so that there is no megaphone diplomacy where we trade insults,” Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel told Deutschlandfunk radio on Tuesday. “We have no interest in pushing Turkey into a corner.”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticized sanctions imposed on Qatar and called on continuation of cooperation in the region.

Erdogan Slams Qatar Sanctions, Says Ankara Will Keep Developing Ties With Doha
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960317000467

Erdogan said Turkey would continue to develop relations with Qatar, sanctions against this country are not the solution to the problem, Sputnik reported.

"We do not consider sanctions against Qatar effective. At a time when we particularly need solidarity and cooperation, this situation will not benefit anyone in our region," Erdogan said addressing activists of the ruling Justice and Development Party.

"We will continue to develop relations with Qatar," Erdogan stressed.

A source close to the Astana meetings on the crisis in Syria said that so far there’s no guarantee for holding the next Astana meeting on June 12-13 as was planned due to the fact that the outlines of de-escalation zones haven’t been specified yet.

Source: Turkey Hindering Coordination Regarding Upcoming Astana Meeting on Syria
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13960317000603

In a statement to the media in Moscow, the source said that talks on the outlines of these zones are ongoing between guarantor states and they should be concluded by June 12th, but the problem is that Turkey is hindering coordination under various pretexts which shows that it isn’t ready for holding the meeting as scheduled, SANA reported.

The source said that consultations are underway on various levels, and the issue of specifying which side will monitor which de-escalation zone is still being debated and no clear decision was made yet.

The source went on to note that the establishing of de-escalation zones is hindered by conflicting interests, which is why it’s difficult to predict when these zones will be specified clearly.

Mevlut Cavusoglu received on Monday ambassadors from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.

Turkish Foreign Minister Receives Ambassadors From Gulf States Amid Qatar Row
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706121054550399-turkey-ambassadors-gulf-states/

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu received on Monday ambassadors from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain amid the diplomatic scandal between the Arab states and Qatar.

Last Monday, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt broke off diplomatic relations with Qatar over its alleged support of terrorism, with a number of other countries severing or reducing ties with Doha in the following week.

On Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Ankara would continue to develop relations with Doha, with sanctions against Qatar not being the solution to the problem.

The current crisis over Qatar is just the tip of the iceberg of the ongoing struggle for influence in the Sunni world, Lebanon’s ex-parliamentary speaker Ili al Farzali told Sputnik.

'If Qatar Loses Its Clout in the Middle East, So Will Turkey'
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201706111054529639-qatar-conflict-comments/

I see this conflict around Qatar also as a war against Turkey in the Sunni world. Assuming that Qatar is indeed a sponsor of terrorism, namely the Muslim Brotherhood, which is the most influential Sunni party both in and outside the Arab world. If Qatar stops supporting it, this would also have a negative impact on Turkey, which has until now been building up its influence in the Arab world,” Ili al Farzali said.

He added, “If Qatar loses its influence in the Middle East, so will Turkey.”

“The Americans want oil and money and they just don’t care about what is going on there. Trump has made this perfectly clear,” Ili al Farzali noted.

Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to expand his country’s cooperation with Qatar and pledged every effort to seek a diplomatic solution to the conflict.

Commenting on the situation in an interview with Sputnik, Turkish ex-ambassador to the United States Faruk Logoglu said that Ankara should be careful not to take sides in the ongoing crisis.

“Turkey has found itself in a very difficult situation as it maintains close ties with the countries, which have broken off diplomatic relations with Doha. Moreover, we have signed a defense pact with Qatar and are going to open our first overseas military base there. This means that much now depends on the policies Turkey is going to pursue under the circumstances,” Logoglu told Sputnik Turkey.

He said that Ankara should watch its step in this conflict because everything is it says or does could eventually backfire.

“Despite its close ties to Qatar, Turkey should avoid taking sides and do what it needs to do if this crisis continues,” Faruk Logoglu noted.

On June 5, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Libya, the Maldives and Mauritius broke off diplomatic relations with Qatar.

They accused Doha of sponsoring terrorist groups, above all the Muslim Brotherhood, and of meddling in other countries’ internal affairs.

Qatar rejects the accusations, with its Foreign Ministry expressing regret over the Gulf States’ decision to cut off diplomatic relations with the oil-rich kingdom.

Defense Ministry said that Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces are participating in joint military drills in Azerbaijan's western Autonomous Republic of Nakhchivan.

Turkish, Azerbaijani Forces Participate in Joint Drills in Western Azerbaijan
https://sputniknews.com/world/201706121054549466-turkey-azerbaijan-drills/

Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces are participating in joint military drills in Azerbaijan's western Autonomous Republic of Nakhchivan, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said Monday.

"In accordance with the memorandum of understanding signed between the governments of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Turkey, joint tactical exercises involving troops of the armed forces of the two countries began in Nakhchivan on June 12," the ministry's statement read.

According to the ministry, the drills are aimed at developing coordination between the two nations' troops through experience exchange. The drills are scheduled to last until Friday.

Nine people were injured the shelling by the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) of the Turkish district of Cukurca in southeastern Hakkari province, local media reported Sunday.

At Least 9 Injured in PKK Shelling of Turkish Southeastern Hakkari Province
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201706111054535507-pkk-shelling-hakkari/

The shelling by PKK from Iraq's territory wounded six military personnel and three guards from one of the district's villages who were on duty searching for mines, Dogan News Agency reported, adding that all of the injured were hospitalized.

Turkey considers the PKK as terrorist organization. After the ceasefire between the parties broke down in 2015, Ankara started a military operation against the Kurdish militants.

On Sunday, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said that around 1,068 PKK members were killed, 27 wounded and 369 captured alive by the Turkish authorities over the last nine months while 289 PKK members surrendered to Ankara.

A Turkish court on Wednesday sentenced a top judge who adjudicates war crimes trials for the United Nations to seven years and six months in jail on charges of having links to the group Ankara blames for last summer’s failed coup.

Turkey Sentences UN Court Judge to 7 Years in Jail Over Failed Coup Attempt
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201706151054641281-turkey-sentences-un-court-judge/

Aydin Sefa Akay, a top judge attached to the UN's Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals, was arrested in September at his family home and charged with terrorism over alleged membership in the faith-based movement of Fethullah Gulen. Ankara blames Gulen for masterminding the July 2016 military putsch attempt in Turkey, but the cleric, who currently lives in self-imposed exile in the US, has repeatedly denied the accusations.

The court found Akay, one of the highest-profile suspects arrested in the relentless post-coup crackdown against alleged Gulen adherents, guilty of holding conversations via Bylock, a special smartphone application Ankara claims Gulen supporters use to stay in touch.

In his initial testimony, Akay admitted to installing Bylock but claimed that he had not used any password to access the system, local media reported.

In the final hearing of Akay's trial, the court decided to release the retired ambassador under judicial supervision, pending confirmation of the verdict by Turkey's supreme appeals court, the Yargitay. A date for that ruling is yet unknown. If the the sentence is upheld, Akay will be sent back behind bars.

Akay had been working with the UN international court, trying suspects over the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, and his detention has frozen proceedings into an appeal hearing of former Rwandan minister Augustin Ngirabatware.

About one month after the incident, two Turkish men have been arrested by US Marshals, accused of assaulting peaceful protesters during the May Turkish embassy brawl in Washington DC, according to District police and the US State Department.

US Marshals Arrest Turkish Men Suspected of Assault in DC Embassy Brawl
https://sputniknews.com/politics/201706141054640323-turkish-embassy-brawl-two-arrests/

"Now that charges have been filed, the Department will weigh additional actions for the named individuals, as appropriate under relevant laws and regulations. Any further steps will be responsive and proportional to the charges," a State Department official told The DC.

AP later reported that charges are going to be filed against 12 Turkish security agents for their role in the incident, with seven of them to be charged with felonies, citing a US official who insisted on anonymity.

The two suspects arrested were not named by the State Department, but DC police identified the men as 50-year-old Eyup Yildirim and Sinan Narin. Foreign Policy reported that DC police said that both men have been charged with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor assault or threatened assault in a menacing manner. Yilidrim also faces a charge of felony assault with significant bodily injury.

Yilidrim was detained in New Jersey and will go before a Newark judge. The DC previously reported that he is the man in the video who kicks Lucy Usoyan, a protester, while she lies motionless on the ground. Usoyan, a Kurdish rights activist, says that she feared for her life during the fight and that she suffered head trauma that the hospital said would take her six weeks to fully recover from.

Narin, a resident of Virginia, also kicked the prone body of Usoyan. He previously claimed on Facebook that protesters ripped his shirt open and threw bottles at him, and he responded by punching and pushing protesters. He admitted to kicking Usoyan, claiming that he believed that she was a man. "I would never kick a woman," he wrote.

Yildirim, a construction company owner, is a supporter of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He and others showed up at the embassy in a counterprotest against those demonstrating against Erdogan's visit to DC. The protests swiftly devolved into a brawl where pro-Erdogan protesters and Turkish security personnel attacked the demonstrators while Capitol Police unsuccessfully tried to break things up. Eleven people were injured.

The Department would like to thank the Department of Justice and the investigative agencies for their diligence," the State Department said in a statement. The two federal agencies are investigating the incident alongside the Secret Service and DC police. "We are committed to holding those responsible for the violence on May 16 accountable. As we have previously stated, the events surrounding the conduct of Turkish Security personnel during President Erdogan's visit to the United States is troubling."

A few days after the incident, a Voice of America Turkey video surfaced online of Erdogan coolly watching the fight from the front of the embassy, with the footage even suggesting that Erdogan personally ordered his bodyguards to attack.

Although the conversations between Turkish officials can't be heard in the footage, sound editor Salih Ferad conducted an analysis of the tape for the Daily Caller. A presidential guard said "Servet says attack," according to Ferad; Servet Erkan was one of Erdogan's bodyguards who participated in the brawl, according to The DC.

​Earlier in June, the US House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill condemning the Turkish government. Ankara meanwhile has blamed US and DC authorities for failing to control "belligerent" protesters who "provoked" security personnel.

Many of the security officers involved are unlikely to ever be arrested or charged with any crimes, being that they enjoyed diplomatic immunity as part of Erdogan's retinue and were seemingly acting on his direct orders.

But if the Americans can't penalize the Turks by arresting the suspects, they can reply with diplomatic pressure. Some lawmakers have called for the State Department to halt a planned $1.6 million sale of firearms to Turkish security forces as reprisal for the violence.

731 Turkish soldiers hospitalized with food poisoning
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_TURKEY_SOLDIERS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-18-09-13-48

ISTANBUL (AP) -- A Turkish prosecutor says 731 soldiers at a western base were sent to the hospital with food poisoning and 21 people from the company that provided the food have been detained.

Akif Celattin Simsek, the lead prosecutor in Manisa province, said Sunday an investigation was launched with samples taken from the affected soldiers, the food and the water. None of those hospitalized late Saturday was in critical condition.

Defense Minister Fikri Isik, who went to Manisa, said the ministry had cancelled the contract with the food company. The governor's office said 24 soldiers remain hospitalized Sunday afternoon.

There have been several cases of suspected food poisoning at military bases in Manisa, affecting more than 1,000 soldiers and killing one in May.

More than 700 soldiers have fallen sick and required medical help after getting food poisoning at a military barracks in the western Turkish province of Manisa.

Catering Company Executives Arrested as 100s of Turkish Soldiers Hospitalized
https://sputniknews.com/world/201706191054750542-turkey-soldiers-food-poisoning/

According to a statement by the Manisa Prosecutor's Office, 731 soldiers at the Manisa First Infantry Training Brigade Command received medical aid after complaining of symptoms such as stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea.

Defense Minister Fikri Isik, who visited the troopers at the hospital, said that 372 soldiers have been hospitalized while the others are being treated at the military facility.

No one is in intensive care or has their life in danger," he said, as cited by Anadolu news agency.

The soldiers reportedly had eaten a meal of soup, rice, chicken and yogurt for Iftar, a meal with which Muslims break their dawn-to-dusk fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.

The province's chief prosecutor, Akif Celahattain Simsek, said in a statement that early on Sunday police arrested 21 employees, including executives, of the catering company that served the meals to the military compound.

A similar incident occurred in Manisa earlier in May, when more than 1,000 soldiers were struck by a salmonella infection that left one soldier dead.

​"Upon the repeat incident, our chief prosecutor's office has launched a second investigation. Blood and urine sample from the suffering soldiers, as well as samples from the chicken and food items, water, and all other ingredients served at the dinner, have been taken and sent for an expert examination," Simsek said, as quoted by Hurriyet.

Back
Top Bottom