Keto recipes

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
OK, so following on from this thread here , I thought it might be an idea to share our keto recipes, as most of the other threads on this topic are pre-keto. I'll start with Laura's great recipes:

DEVILLED EGGS
Laura said:
I invented a new way to get more fat last night:

Make deviled eggs and use homemade mayo PLUS a big chunk of softened butter to whip with the yolks to make the egg filling. And when I say big chunk, that's what I used! They were yummy and buttery tasting!

COCONUT/VANILLA SHAKE
Laura said:
Another: if you tolerate coconut, use coconut cream, several egg yolks, big chunk of melted butter, vanilla, a small bit of xylitol, to make a FAT milkshake!

Just put the butter, xylitol (tsp) and coconut cream in a saucepan, bring ALMOST to a boil, take off the heat, beat in several egg yolks thoroughly, chill in fridge for a bit, and then maybe put in the blender before drinking or stir well.

You could also use it as a hot drink, like a warm vanilla milkshake.

Using cocoa is okay, but when you do that, you have to increase the xylitol to counter the bitterness of the chocolate and that sort of cancels out the super low carb state. With coconut cream and butter, you hardly need any xylitol.

Anyway, if you need to get a couple hundred grams of fat into you, this is one way.

I can attest to the absolute yumminess of the shake, as I made it this evening. Maintaining a high fat intake while keeping the protein and carbs in check, AND keeping it tasty can be challenging. It would be great to build a Ketogenic recipe-book. Looking forward to hearing from you all :)

Okay, another I just made for lunch (I chilled it in the freezer while preparing a slice of ham for the meal). I've given approximations of different measuring systems which are close enough. I gotta tell ya, this is divine and boy, does your body ever feel full, sated, and happy with this one!

Coconut Cream Custard

9 tablespoons – 130 grams – 4.5 ounces butter (121 grams fat)

1 cup – 200 ml – 8 ounces coconut cream (48 grams fat, 8 carbs)

4 or 5 egg yolks (8 grams fat each , 1 carb each)

2.5 tsp xylitol (10 carbs)

Dash of vanilla – liquid and/or powder (maybe 1 or 2 carbs)

Place coconut cream and butter cut in pieces, and xylitol in small saucepan or top of double-boiler. Bring to small bubble stage stirring constantly or very frequently. Take off heat. While beating the cream/butter mixture, drizzle in already beaten egg yolks until completely mixed. Place back on heat and stir constantly until it thickens and just begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat. Add vanilla to taste. Place pan in cold water and stir to cool faster, about five minutes. Pour into dessert dishes and refrigerate until cold.

Divided in two, each serving has about 100 grams of fat and 11 carbs.

Be careful with these things because there ARE carbs in there. You could add a couple more egg yolks and a bit more butter and thus get more of your fat allowance along with the already present carbs. I'll do that next time.

Laura said:
Okay, another I just made for lunch (I chilled it in the freezer while preparing a slice of ham for the meal). I've given approximations of different measuring systems which are close enough. I gotta tell ya, this is divine and boy, does your body ever feel full, sated, and happy with this one!

Coconut Cream Custard

1 cup – 200 ml – 8 ounces coconut cream (24 grams fat, 4 carbs)

Place coconut cream and butter cut in pieces, and xylitol in small saucepan or top of double-boiler. Bring to small bubble stage stirring constantly or very frequently. Take off heat. While beating the cream/butter mixture, drizzle in already beaten egg yolks until completely mixed. Place back on heat and stir constantly until it thickens and just begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat. Add vanilla to taste. Place pan in cold water and stir to cool faster, about five minutes. Pour into dessert dishes and refrigerate until cold.

Divided in two, each serving has about 85 grams of fat and 9 carbs.

Be careful with these things because there ARE carbs in there. You could add a couple more egg yolks and a bit more butter to make it 100 grams of fat and thus get more of your fat allowance along with the carbs. I'll do that next time.

Sounds divine! I`m going to try your recipe. I`m in love with cc. There`s so much that can be done with it. :D

Ren made a coconut cream pie with pecan crust and one without crust. Both were yummy! ;D

I think I'm going to add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil to the next batch, too.

Another I have used, along the lines of the milkshake idea:

Capputeano

Ingredients:
  • ~100g butter/coconut oil (a mix tends to work best)
  • ~1 Tsp Xylitol or whatever sweetner
  • Teabags and roughly a large mug of water - Regular tea works fine. My favourite for this is Strawberry & Vanilla Roobois.

[list type=decimal]
[*][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Brew the Tea.[/font]
[*][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Add butter / coconut oil - Allow to melt.[/font]
[*][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Pour it all into a blender (immersion blender works fine) and blend like crazy.[/font]
[*][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sweeten to taste.[/font]
[/list]
The result should be a creamy, cappuccino-like beverage with lots of froth sitting on the top. It's super simple for loading up on fat, and can also be used with coffee if tolerated.
___

Another easy one, Gravy:

If you render your own lard, take the rendered pieces and put them in a frying pan. Add some broth to the pan, along with some butter/lard, and mash them up on a medium heat (mash for a long time until it gets to a thick, viscous consistency).
Then add whatever herbs and spices you like. This makes a great kind of "gravy" that can be eaten with a meal or even as a standalone snack.
(Thanks to prodigal son for this one)

___

You can also make a super-fatty and delicious Korma using loads of butter, lard, and coconut cream, along with the traditional spices such as tumeric, coriander, ginger etc.. I use this to cover the taste of liver, but haven't perfected it into a recipe.

___

And of course, Liver Pate!

One I came up with after refining the "butter coffee" idea is BUTTER HOT CHOCOLATE. It is absolutely divine and gets the fat count up. It has somehow taken on the name "chococcino" here in the house (pronounce chok-o-keeno, for some reason :lol:).

80-100g of butter, cubed
2 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
15-20g cocoa butter (this is the secret ingredient! Adds fat and deliciousity)
2 Tbsp xylitol
3 drops stevia extract
1 tsp lecithin (optional)
A healthy pinch of salt (don't be shy here)
750mL water

Heat the water in a pot on the stove. Once boiled, take off the heat and whisk in cocoa, xylitol and stevia. Add cold butter, cocoa butter and lecithin to a blender. Pour in the chocolatey liquid and blend well until it's frothy and delicious. Serves 3 or 4, but everyone will probably want seconds!

All these recipes sound divine...I will be trying them soon! Thanks everyone for sharing them :)

Thanks dugdeep for the chococcino recipe, I'm going to buy some cocoa powder and try it! Sounds yummy!!

Laura said:

Coconut Cream Custard

Be careful with these things because there ARE carbs in there. You could add a couple more egg yolks and a bit more butter to make it 100 grams of fat and thus get more of your fat allowance along with the carbs. I'll do that next time.

I make a similar custard but add some key lime juice and pour over a layer of crust made from crushed cashews and butter (3 grams carbs and 8 grams fat). The creaminess of the custard, the tartness of the key lime, and the saltiness of the cashews is delectable!

dugdeep said:
One I came up with after refining the "butter coffee" idea is BUTTER HOT CHOCOLATE. It is absolutely divine and gets the fat count up. It has somehow taken on the name "chococcino" here in the house (pronounce chok-o-keeno, for some reason :lol:).

80-100g of butter, cubed
2 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
15-20g cocoa butter (this is the secret ingredient! Adds fat and deliciousity)
2 Tbsp xylitol
3 drops stevia extract
1 tsp lecithin (optional)
A healthy pinch of salt (don't be shy here)
750mL water

Heat the water in a pot on the stove. Once boiled, take off the heat and whisk in cocoa, xylitol and stevia. Add cold butter, cocoa butter and lecithin to a blender. Pour in the chocolatey liquid and blend well until it's frothy and delicious. Serves 3 or 4, but everyone will probably want seconds!

Can you do a fat vs carb count on that? Per serving?

Laura said:

Coconut Cream Custard

Can the coconut cream be substituted with canned coconut milk? The one i have gets very thick, and cream like.

I was also making pumpkin pie filling with real pmpkins in October. This is one of my favorite treats. Lately i found 796 ml tins of 100% pure pumpkin. I put the tin in a bowl. Added three, or four eggs, and butter. I had the actual pumpin spice they sell, as it seems to be cheaper. Otherwise i have the individual ingredients as well (which basically consists of nugtmeg, clove oil, cinnamon,ginger, and allspice). I then add stevia, and/or xylitol to taste. I add a can of coconut milk, and blend it all together. Put it in a casserole dish, and bake at about 350 until it seems done to you.
I just kind of throw it together, but if i had to guess at measurements; I wouldn't really know what to say atm.

I missed the edit to my last post, cause my internet connection took that long.

I was gonna say the the last time i put some homemade chocolate in it. (Laura's recipe).
The time before that i added an avocado. Both were delicious. I think the trick is blending it well befor cooking.

Back
Top Bottom