Keto recipes

Carlisle said:
Basically anything that spreads the heat evenly around the bottom of the pan (known more commonly as a heat diffuser)

You can get a similar effect by placing the pot containing the mixture inside another, larger pot, full of boiling water.

Thanks for that Carlise- I'll look for one locally; till then I'll try the pot within the pot. :)

Gandalf said:
I have done it yesterday and it is just amazingly delicious.

Thanks so much Laura for that recipe. It is going to be a lot easier to eat more fat. :dance:

Well done Gandalf!

I'm not sure if I'm game yet but is anyone here eating organ meats? I know there are recipes for liver pâté on the forum, but what about brain, tongue, tripe etc that's actually palatable?

We made a batch here a couple of days ago, some of which I took to work, which that day was a ten-hour shift. Between a good bacon-y, sausage-y breakfast and the shake, I wasn't hungry at all. Plus, how fun is it to have dessert for dinner!? :perfect:

I used the 'smaller quantities' recipe to give it a go, but adding half a cup of coconut oil. I used 10 drops of stevia, 4 drops is the equivalent of 1 tsp of sugar. I didn't used vanilla. The sweetness of the coconut milk masks the bitterness of the stevia.

It tastes absolutely and ungodly delicious :perfect: This experiment wins the price of absolute awesomeness :D Attached my first cup :) It is nearly gone now ;)

Attachments

• keto shake.jpg
    keto shake.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 416
If your teeth are getting "wobbly", then you have a bigger problem than eating fried or braised food. Chewing does not "benefit" the teeth; just the contrary and most dental problems such as you describe are due to autoimmune conditions.

Thanks for this info Laura. This is good news as what we are doing is fighting autoimmune conditions!

I am looking forward to trying the smaller versions of the coconut bomb and shake - especially after disastrous results with my mayo!
Have really upped the fat intake now and am able to tolerate it - even without the Beteine sometimes which is great.

Will have to order xylitol and liquid stevia first as only have the powder stevia. Neither of which can I get here. Will make enquiries. Thanks for making it more palatable to be on the keto regime. I missed my 'puddings'.

I just made and ate my first coconut bomb. Delicious! I added 1T chia seeds for fun. :thup:

Attachments

• 20140414_134148.jpg
    20140414_134148.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 399
Rhiannon said:
I just made and ate my first coconut bomb. Delicious! I added 1T chia seeds for fun. :thup:

Chia seeds, being seeds, could have inflammatory anti-nutrients...

I tried the custard, with canned coconut cream (21% of fat) and organic butter. I had to use a bit of coconut sugar in the absence of xylitol.

It has now a "paste" texture, somehow similar to almond paste. With vanilla it is very good.

But I don't know if it's like the "real" custard.

Attachments

• 20140414_231725.jpg
    20140414_231725.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 343
Today is day 37 of my pure Keto-diet. 6 months ago I would describe myself as a sugar junkie, but since I started my diet I quit sweets cold turkey. I don’t crave sweets anymore. But after reading this topic, I couldn’t resist trying Laura’s wonderful Coconut Cream Custard. I have to say it tasted great! Thank you very much, Laura, for this recipe!
However, I have made a mistake by adding coconut oil to it in my attempt to increase fat intake. Coconut oil hardens when it cools down in a refrigerator and tastes like hard pieces of candle wax. Maybe I over mixed the batter, but most likely it is just not a good idea to add coconut oil to cold food.
I also made Coconut Panna Cotta (or coconut jelly) yesterday. It tasted very good even to people who can eat any sweets they want.
Coconut Panna Cotta:
Yield: 1 cup/128 g/4.5 oz
Ingredients:
90 g 100% pure coconut cream
1.8 g. of unflavored powdered gelatin
1 drop of liquid stevia
1 dash of unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions:
Heat coconut cream until it is warm and runny. Take it off the heat before it boils. Add a drop of liquid stevia, gelatin and unsweetened cocoa powder (if desired). Mix well. Let it sit for 5 minutes until gelatin is fully dissolved. Pour into container and refrigerate for a few hours.
I recommend you to follow cooking suggestions from gelatin boxes so you don’t have to measure ingredients in grams. I did it in order to calculate a precise amount of the nutrition.
Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 cup/128 g/4.5 oz
Calories: 195
Calories from Fat: 170 (89%)
Total Fat: 90g (29%)
Saturated Fat 17g (85%)
Total Carbohydrate: 4g (1%)
Protein: 3g

Laura said:
Rhiannon said:

Chia seeds, being seeds, could have inflammatory anti-nutrients...

Thanks, Laura!

I looked them up on their possible anti-nutrients , and Chia seeds are definitely out for me. Luckily, I have only had chia seeds a handful of times in my life. The part I like the best about them (gel) is the worst anti-nutrient part about them.

http://thepaleodiet.com/seed-fatty-acid-composition/

One of the unusual characteristics of chia seed Pinole or food products comes from a clear mucilaginous gel that surrounds the seeds. This sticky gel forms a barrier which impairs digestion, fat absorption and causes a low protein digestibility. Based upon animal and human studies, it is likely that other antinutrients together with this gel may promote a leaky gut, chronic systemic inflammation and food allergies.

I tried making the custard today and, although it tastes really good, it didn't set properly. It has more of a thin pudding texture than a custard texture. I've put some into the freezer to see if the texture improves when frozen.

I think the reason it didn't work out is that, as I realized after the fact, I forgot to add the gelatin :rolleyes: It could also be that it wasn't hot enough when I whisked in the egg mixture.

They're still a hit, though :)

dugdeep said:
I tried making the custard today and, although it tastes really good, it didn't set properly. It has more of a thin pudding texture than a custard texture. I've put some into the freezer to see if the texture improves when frozen.

I have gelatin leaves and was unsure how much I needed or its equivalent powder conversion. In the end I just used one leave for the "smaller quantity" recipe. When it was warmer, it had a thick consistency and the one on the fridge does look like a custard. But I'm just happy that it tastes super delicious :) It had a diuretic effect too and it is definitely very filling.

Gaby said:
dugdeep said:

I have gelatin leaves and was unsure how much I needed or its equivalent powder conversion. In the end I just used one leave for the "smaller quantity" recipe. When it was warmer, it had a thick consistency and the one on the fridge does look like a custard. But I'm just happy that it tastes super delicious :) It had a diuretic effect too and it is definitely very filling.

I didn't notice a diuretic effect, but it's definitely very filling!

Divine, is the best way I can describe the taste of Laura's coconut custard. I used the the first recipe posted with the basic ingredients. I had a quick taste from the unwashed pan, I wanted to eat it warm there and then, however I put it in the fridge and decided to have an early dinner.

The recipe was for 2 portions, I was sure I would end up eating it all in one go (being the hopeless sweet-tooth that I am), however by the time I'd eaten half of the bowl's contents I was feeling decidedly full, to my joy, knowing that it is not only delicious but also too filling to go overboard. This is definately my favourite food, I'll add some cocoa next time too. :perfect:

Well, we had an interesting time with our custard today, made a boo-boo, then a correction that was rather serendipitous.

I was trying to video the process and because I was concerned about some reports of the texture not being right, I thought I would try to use a meat thermometer to display the temperature of the custard as it was heating so that those who don't have the "feel" for it would have a technical guide.

Well, big mistake. Since I do it by "feel" and "eye", and was NOT keeping my eye and feeling on the custard while watching the thermometer, we ended up with curdled custard. That's what happens when it gets too hot.

There's a trick you use to save chocolate that has separated during cooking: use a couple tablespoons of cold water and beat it in. Since we had this pot full of curdled custard, anything was worth trying - so we did. Just a couple tablespoons of cold water, the immersion blender for a minute or two, and voila! Not only did it work like a charm, it made the texture BETTER.

So, I think that when I make my batch tomorrow, even if it does NOT curdle, I'm going to do the cold-water/blender trick at the end.

I also increased the gelatin to 3 rounded tablespoons.

Back
Top Bottom