Keto recipes

That would be very much appreciated, as I wouldn't have a clue.

I also wanted to mention that I am having some problems with digesting the coconut shake-I was going fine with it, but over this last week or so, it sits like a rock in my stomach, and my gut feels inflamed. So maybe I'm allergic to the coconut milk-I can tolerate it a bit here and there but perhaps not on a daily basis regularly :-[

Take some HCl or vinegar to get rid of the rock in the stomach. If not properly acidified and sterilized by stomach acid, this can lead to a gut infection. Do you know whether you are stomach acid deficient or not, and do you have HCl on hand?

Yes I do have digestive enzymes handy, as well as herbs like slippery elm. So I'll start back on the enzymes, probiotics & the slippery elm. My gut definitely needs some healing I think. Prior to this, I was digesting fats quite well with no feeling of needing the enzymes like I did the first time I tried going keto.

Thanks for the suggestion monotonic :)

Arwenn, you may be trying to digest to much fat at once. I don't remember if you've recently gone keto (I thought you were still transitioning prior to this thread) but it could be part of the reason. Also slippery elm requires a fair amount of water which might add to an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach. That said, the recommendations on the packs may vary (mine says 500ml of boiling water to 5grams -1 teaspoon - three times a day) too. Personally, I'm waiting for my digestion to get much better before trying these recipes due to the quantity of fat.

As monotonic suggests HCL &/or vinegar (in broth preferably) should help. In case you haven't seen it already, this may help http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33548.0.html

H-kqge said:
Arwenn, you may be trying to digest to much fat at once. I don't remember if you've recently gone keto (I thought you were still transitioning prior to this thread) but it could be part of the reason. Also slippery elm requires a fair amount of water which might add to an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach. That said, the recommendations on the packs may vary (mine says 500ml of boiling water to 5grams -1 teaspoon - three times a day) too. Personally, I'm waiting for my digestion to get much better before trying these recipes due to the quantity of fat.

As monotonic suggests HCL &/or vinegar (in broth preferably) should help. In case you haven't seen it already, this may help http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33548.0.html

Yeah, I'm still in transition, so keto though not keto-adapted yet. And these recipes sure are fat intense & I definitely need to tweak my digestion by healing the gut first. Thanks for your suggestions H-kqge.

Laura said:
I just checked the videos for mayo on youtube. All of them are lousy. We'll make one.

Here is a good one. :)
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv4y_spy6-g

I like to use walnut oil in my mayo.

Laura said:
I just checked the videos for mayo on youtube. All of them are lousy. We'll make one.

Great! I like the Cass videos on YouTube to accompany the written material. I just re-watched the old "healing with food" video(s). :cool:

Thanks for mentioning coffee as a possible reason for skin rashes. I developed some quite peculiar looking eczema on my hands that disappeared completely after stopping drinking coffee and using pepper. I just had one cup of coffee a week! and use pepper sparingly, but it was already enough it seemed.

H-kqge said:
Arwenn, you may be trying to digest to much fat at once.

That sounds right, it's better to have it spread out during the day (even though Maria Emmrich says it is not good to eat too often). I also could only stomach a small amount of the coconut bomb, but what I can always have is tea with butter.

However, the moment you really go down with your carbs (under 30 or 20gr) you really wanna have a good fat supply ready to go. The funny thing is that at that point you don't mind eating it continuously, you are even craving it, whereas with a high carb count you have that revulsion (which is probably a natural reaction of the body that doesn't wanna die of a heart attack the next day).

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
Thanks for mentioning coffee as a possible reason for skin rashes. I developed some quite peculiar looking eczema on my hands that disappeared completely after stopping drinking coffee and using pepper. I just had one cup of coffee a week! and use pepper sparingly, but it was already enough it seemed.

Yeah, and I am also in some sort of detox phase as my sweat is unusually stinky! The rashes are calming down though. I think the coconut oil and cream has helped a lot too.

All those fungal problems in the ketogenic diet that a few people have had should be diminished with coconut oil's anti-fungal properties. But I also think that Maria Emmerich's has a good point in underlying the importance of fermented foods (i.e. sauerkraut) and taking probiotics to keep a good gut flora and health. It should speed up the gut healing process for those who are just starting the diet. Osit!

3D Student said:
Is there some secret to using an immersion blender when making it? I've seen videos where people just put the egg yolk, vinegar, and oil all in at the same time, and just turn it on and it mixes perfectly. I tried that and it didn't emulsify. I got frustrated and just tossed in another yolk and got out the hand whisk. Is it better to add it drop by drop, just like when hand whisking?

I had a hard time at first using the immersion blender. The trick is, for me anyway, is to have everything at room temperature before blending. I just put it all in at once and it blends up nicely.

Gaby said:
Minas Tirith said:

Yeah, and I am also in some sort of detox phase as my sweat is unusually stinky! The rashes are calming down though. I think the coconut oil and cream has helped a lot too.

I'm having the same "problem" with body odor, and also urine... I linked it to a probable liver stuff going on... if it is because it is detoxing, then it's fine... but it could also mean that my liver isn't working properly, right? Anyway, I started taking milk thistle capsules again, just in case.

Gaby said:
All those fungal problems in the ketogenic diet that a few people have had should be diminished with coconut oil's anti-fungal properties. But I also think that Maria Emmerich's has a good point in underlying the importance of fermented foods (i.e. sauerkraut) and taking probiotics to keep a good gut flora and health. It should speed up the gut healing process for those who are just starting the diet. Osit!

This is something I've been disregarding... I will find time to start making my sauerkraut again. :)

100g Butter (room temp.)
5 Egg yolks
1tsp Xylitol
1tsp Cinnamon
0,5tsp Grounded nutmeg

Mix yolks with xylitol, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter and mix it well again.

Total: 120g fat, 10 carbs, 12 protein

Darek said:
100g Butter (room temp.)
5 Egg yolks
1tsp Xylitol
1tsp Cinnamon
0,5tsp Grounded nutmeg

Any cooking going on there?

I gotta tell ya, the Fat Bomb is THE BOMB! It needs to be handled with care; eaten in small portions, and never late in the day. Even I've been having to take extra Betaine Hcl with it! But, for those of us who have been really not able to get the required fat in a day, it's a blessing. In one dish, I can get it all and the only other things I eat in the day are my small portion of protein and maybe a bit of veggie. Best part is, I'm not hungry - ever.

Laura said:
Darek said:
100g Butter (room temp.)
5 Egg yolks
1tsp Xylitol
1tsp Cinnamon
0,5tsp Grounded nutmeg

Any cooking going on there?

No cooking, just mixing.

Back
Top Bottom