Keto recipes

Me and Thorn have been having a fat bomb daily for about 10 days now and have experimented with a few different ways of making it. One is to replace the coconut milk with a solidified version of coconut cream which turns to a thick liquid when heated. When left to cool it turns into a very thick pudding but can get quite sickly sometimes...

Here is a guacamole recipe we have been using aswell - it is perfect as a dipping sauce to accompany bacon, or to spread on an egg yolk omelette!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of bacon/pork fat (or more :D) 32g fat
1 whole avocado (13.5g carbs, 22.5g fat)
1 clove of garlic crushed (if tolerated) (0.1g carb)
1 handful of fresh parsley (lots of potassium :D) (about 0.5g carb?)
1 teaspoon of ground fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon of crushed celtic sea salt
1/3 of a lemon juiced
1 1/2 table spoons of olive oil - 22.5g fat

First - Mash the avocado in a bowl and mix in the crushed garlic, pepper and salt. Then chop the parsley into small pieces and mix into the avocado well. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and fat and stir unto smooth in texture, like a thick paste :)

All in all - 77g fat and 13.5g carbs. This can make two or three servings, which equals 6.75g carb or 4.5g carb per serving :)

We usually have this for breakfast along with bacon and omelette, we used to have just plain avocado but we have found that the avocado works very well at holding the fat together, so it is more like eating a sauce rather than just eating fat by itself. I would imagine it works well as a spread on other meats aswell. perhaps on some pork chops !

Thankyou everyone for different experiences and recipes - the Fat bomb actually helped me transition into ketosis much easier I think, and with L-glutamine has stopped me craving sweet things and even carbs!

Keyhole

Keyhole said:
Here is a guacamole recipe we have been using aswell - it is perfect as a dipping sauce to accompany bacon, or to spread on an egg yolk omelette!

Where is the picture? ;D

Today we made our fat bombs without any butter at all (the only kind of fat was lard), and they came out really good.

500 ml water
1.5kg lard
3 soup/tablespoons of plain (knox or other) gelatin
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Same instructions as before.

They were choco-coffee flavored. Yum!

Pashalis said:
Pashalis said:
I think the cheapest way to buy those Kelp noodles is from the actual producer here: http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html

They ship to almost every country in the world and the costs (without shipping) for one pack (aka. 12 packs of 340 grams of noodles) which is 4,08 kg of noodles, is only 35 US Dollars...

Since this is a US company, that indeed looks like the by far cheapest way for getting those noodles in the Americas...
But even if you ship it to another far away country, it is probably a lot cheaper then buying it somewhere else...

Here you can find more information on those noodles:

_http://www.kelpnoodles.com/about_us_faq.html

Here is the nutritional information: _http://www.kelpnoodles.com/nutrition2.html

For germany this seems to be the cheapest and fastest way to get those noodles:

_http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261246594976&ssPageName=ADME:X:DERP:DE:1123

I got the noodles a few days ago and made a test run. They come in a plastic back and are already soaked in water, so they are not dried condition as normal noodles.

According to the package you should not freeze them. I don't know the actual reason for that, but for storage purposes that is a minus. In the package they can only be stored for six months the most before expiration date expires. I guess you could try to freeze them anyway and see if it works or not.

You have to (or can) soak them in warm water for a couple of hours before using them. If they are not soaked enough they have a consistency like sprouts. But if you put them in a hot pan with hot lard or butter in it, they will quickly become soaked with the flavour of what is in the pan and the consistency changes to that of chinese glass noodles and the crunchy sprout consistency disappears.

It is really quite astounding, considering that they are completely carbohydrate/gluten free!

Here are some pictures from my batch:

201405051157201ZY6UW.jpg

201405051203301632OA.jpg

I've also tried to cook/soak them in fat without anything else and ate them to see how they effect me, but unfortunately something in those noodles does not seem to be all that good for my body/gut. In don't know what exactly in those noodles causes it but my guess is that it might be the fiber content or the Sodium alginate and/or the iron content. My guess is that it is the fiber. But they really taste delicious!

Further testing is needed to be sure if really something in those noodles is the cause...

So they are definitely something for special occasions as a very good noodles substitute! But it is not something for everyday use for me...

Spaghetti squash can take the place of pasta and is delicious. I place it in a baking dish, sliced in half, in about an inch of water, bake it in the oven on 350 for an hour. Then scoop out the contents. It`s looks like pasta, only better for you. Some butter or lard, salt and pepper or it goes great with a "pasta dish".
1/2 cup cooked spaghetti squash = 4 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber, 21 calories

Attachments

• baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4575.jpg
    baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4575.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 279
There's a problem I'm having with a double boiler setup for the custard. There is a delay in the heat moving from the boiler to the oil, so you can go over the right temperature even if you turn the burner off before it gets there. Then I have to wait for it to cool down. So, a heat diffuser would probably be better.

Gaby said:
Keyhole said:

Where is the picture? ;D
I will upload one tomorrow :D

monotonic said:
There's a problem I'm having with a double boiler setup for the custard. There is a delay in the heat moving from the boiler to the oil, so you can go over the right temperature even if you turn the burner off before it gets there. Then I have to wait for it to cool down. So, a heat diffuser would probably be better.

Using a gas stove, I found it's not really necessary to use either because the heat spreads evenly so long as you have a decent pot, use a low heat and watch carefully. I also stir with a sauce whisk like the one pictured here _http://www.christonium.com/culinaryreview/How_to_make_Bchamel_Sauce_gt_White_Sauce which is great for spreading the heat on the very bottom of the pot.

Chu said:
Today we made our fat bombs without any butter at all (the only kind of fat was lard), and they came out really good.

500 ml water
1.5kg lard
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Splendid! Thanks! Had thought that this one is what I want to make, and here it is.

I use an immersion blender with whisk attachment, candy thermometer clipped to the pot, and heat diffuser over a gas stove. It helps me tremendously with making the custard. I can put most of the ingredients in the pot, turn on the stove, and get to cracking eggs while the pot heats up. Usually the pot gets over 158 F before I'm done cracking eggs, and that doesn't concern me because the temperature drops a lot when the eggs are poured and blended in.

Chu said:

500 ml water
1.5kg lard
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

I'm going to assume y'all used leaf lard, because I don't know that I have enough vanilla and chocolate to cover up the flavor of plain back fat. :lol:

Without butter and coconut, these fat bombs are turning into quite the cheaply delicious little morsels!

I tried to make a butter/tallow version but it was a disaster. Just ended up with a curdled mess at the end :-[ At first I thought maybe we had the temperature too high when pouring the eggs. Tried again today with butter and everything seemed to be working out. When I put it back on the stove after mixing the eggs in, as it got to temperature it didn't seem to be getting thicker. Mind you I was using a hand blender so maybe it wasn't as noticeable? As the temp was rising I check again with the thermometer and it started climbing towards 70c fast! Just as I was about to take it off the pot it curdled and split :(

I was able to somewhat recover and added some water and that seemed to help it come together but it was still kinda split (some seemed to turn to paste). Anyway they don't look pretty but they seem edible. Looking back at both attempts, I realized after I forgot to put water! I'm thinking that one of the key things is substituting the water for the coconut milk since the eggs and oil/fat need something to emulsify with. I guess I was just too excited about an all fat fat bomb and jumped the gun a little.

They say 3rd times the charm!

Anyway, I made a spreadsheet with the various fats and the recipe on another tab. You can enter the amounts that are used (eggs, oil, fats, xylitol etc) and get the carb and fats counts per servings made. I found it handy for figuring how much fat there is when trying different outputs and portions.

Attachments

• Fat Bomb Recipe n Calculator.xls
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
Definitely add the water. I forgot the water the first time I made it. It's not optional! :D

If you do forget though, or it curdles for some reason, you can cool the mixture down until the fat starts to thicken and this will allow you to force the ingredients to mix. Then it will most likely be edible, though the taste of the fats will be stronger.

I bought some grass-fed chuck roasts because they're always cheap and very fatty for grass-fed cuts of beef, and it occurred to me that you can cut them into fillet mignon sized steaks. The following isn't much of a recipe, but it's an interesting take on an old favorite in my house.

I took the roasts, cut them in half, and then filleted them. Then I stabbed the steaks thoroughly with a fork, and pounded them with the handle end of the knife I used to cut them. Next I took a frying pan, added a few tablespoons of leftover bacon grease, and put it on the stove on high heat. After which I rubbed salt, pepper, and garlic on the steaks and waited for the pan to heat up. Once the pan was good and hot I added the steaks, waited a few seconds, turned them over, waited a few more seconds, and they were done. This simple idea turned into something amazing, and I think the key to making them so good was that they were essentially fried steaks.

My sister called them "Bacon Fried Steaks." :lol:

This batch didn't take long to cook because they were more like breakfast steaks than fillets, but that's because I didn't let them sit in the freezer to stiffen up before cutting them so there was a little bit of uneven cutting going on. I would have waited and let them set, but I got hungry. ;D

Anyways, just wanted to share something that was absolutely delicious, very fatty, fairly inexpensive, and quick to prepare and clean up after. Bon appetit!

Attachments

• Photo on 2014-05-13 at 23.31.jpg
    Photo on 2014-05-13 at 23.31.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 223
fabric said:
I tried to make a butter/tallow version but it was a disaster. Just ended up with a curdled mess at the end :-[ At first I thought maybe we had the temperature too high when pouring the eggs. Tried again today with butter and everything seemed to be working out. When I put it back on the stove after mixing the eggs in, as it got to temperature it didn't seem to be getting thicker. Mind you I was using a hand blender so maybe it wasn't as noticeable? As the temp was rising I check again with the thermometer and it started climbing towards 70c fast! Just as I was about to take it off the pot it curdled and split :(

I was able to somewhat recover and added some water and that seemed to help it come together but it was still kinda split (some seemed to turn to paste). Anyway they don't look pretty but they seem edible. Looking back at both attempts, I realized after I forgot to put water! I'm thinking that one of the key things is substituting the water for the coconut milk since the eggs and oil/fat need something to emulsify with. I guess I was just too excited about an all fat fat bomb and jumped the gun a little.

They say 3rd times the charm!

Anyway, I made a spreadsheet with the various fats and the recipe on another tab. You can enter the amounts that are used (eggs, oil, fats, xylitol etc) and get the carb and fats counts per servings made. I found it handy for figuring how much fat there is when trying different outputs and portions.

Hi fabric,

I also made the mistake of using the hand blender too early. When it goes back on the stove, the stirring to spread the heat evenly, not to mix the ingredients, so using the blender then is overkill because they usually generate a fair amount of friction heat themselves. My guess is that that's what caused the sharp temperature rise; it may have even curdled on the bottom already before you noticed it. Even with a sauce whisk or wooden spatula, I find it's easier to judge the timing (I don't have a thermometer) if I stir more gently, though enough to keep it moving. Once it has cooled, you can safely blend away :)

Back
Top Bottom