Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I think that we understood from the beginning that the KD/IF would suppress reproduction and induce the body to go into repair for longer survival mode which is what is advocated to repair damaged and mutated DNA. There could be more to it than that, but that's what I understood about it.

I am up to page 30 on the Ketogenic Diet Thread. My goal was to finish it before beginning any major changes in my diet or adding my 2 cents to the thread. I searched for any comments with regard to the Bioenergetics of human glycolysis, beta-oxidation and protein synthesis. It seems as if my whole academic world, in many areas, has been turned upside down. I have a Ph.D. From one of the highest regarded University Departments in the world, the student of one of a few highly regarded scholars in the filed and personally taught as a professor in this area with regard to this thread as it pertains to human physiology at rest and during exertion. I am not using this as a “bully pulpit” but since the thread is mixing diet with exercise, however, I believe all would benefit from a thorough review of George A. Brook's Ph.D. text books, publications, current research and those of all his graduate students who span the world in many professions with regard to this area.

lara4unow said:
I am up to page 30 on the Ketogenic Diet Thread. fMy goal was to finish it before beginning any major changes in my diet or adding my 2 cents to the thread. I searched for any comments with regard to the Bioenergetics of human glycolysis, beta-oxidation and protein synthesis. It seems as i my whole academic world, in many areas, has been turned upside down. I have a Ph.D. From one of the highest regarded University Departments in the world, the student of one of a few highly regarded scholars in the filed and personally taught as a professor in this area with regard to this thread as it pertains to human physiology at rest and during exertion. I am not using this as a “bully pulpit” but since the thread is mixing diet with exercise, however, I believe all would benefit from a thorough review of George A. Brook's Ph.D. text books, publications, current research and those of all his graduate students who span the world in many professions with regard to this area.

It would be great if you could finish reading the thread and the related papers that have been linked so you understand the science behind the discussion.

Laura said:
I think that we understood from the beginning that the KD/IF would suppress reproduction and induce the body to go into repair for longer survival mode which is what is advocated to repair damaged and mutated DNA. There could be more to it than that, but that's what I understood about it.

True, what also caught my eye was its possible effects on women's insulin and overall metabolism, in contrast to that of men's.
If, however, it is having such a striking effect on female reproductive functions, I admit I feel uneasy about it.

Gertrudes said:
Laura said:

True, what also caught my eye was its possible effects on women's insulin and overall metabolism, in contrast to that of men's.
If, however, it is having such a striking effect on female reproductive functions, I admit I feel uneasy about it.

Why do you feel uneasy about it?

ADDED: The reason I ask is because, to me, maybe this is the way things are supposed to be? Perhaps women should naturally have some "fertile" periods thoughout the year, but not have menstruation that often, and certainly not have baby all year round? How do we know that having our period once a month is NORMAL? It would be logical to assume that during the longer survival mode, children aren't recommended, and when summer or better times come, it's ok to reproduce. OSIT.

Ailén said:
Perhaps women should naturally have some "fertile" periods thoughout the year, but not have menstruation that often, and certainly not have baby all year round? How do we know that having our period once a month is NORMAL? It would be logical to assume that during the longer survival mode, children aren't recommended, and when summer or better times come, it's ok to reproduce. OSIT.

I think it is also part of the key to how the paleolithic populations remained so stable. They reproduced only when the earth told them it was a good time to do so. Now, things are so artificial that our bodies are constantly stressed to be ready to reproduce and provide cannon fodder for psychopaths. And that, of course, is a consequence of agriculture which put that artificial stress on women to begin with.

Wiley, who writes about the female reproductive cycles points out that once you finish your reproductive years, you begin to die. But she was writing without a full field of information, specifically the ketogenic diet (and her assumption that eating carbs in summer was natural).

I think it is on PBPM (or an other recommended book) that the author talk about hens. He/She says that when hens are feed with there natural diet they have less eggs and live longuer.

Laura said:
Ailén said:
Perhaps women should naturally have some "fertile" periods thoughout the year, but not have menstruation that often, and certainly not have baby all year round? How do we know that having our period once a month is NORMAL? It would be logical to assume that during the longer survival mode, children aren't recommended, and when summer or better times come, it's ok to reproduce. OSIT.

I think it is also part of the key to how the paleolithic populations remained so stable. They reproduced only when the earth told them it was a good time to do so. Now, things are so artificial that our bodies are constantly stressed to be ready to reproduce and provide cannon fodder for psychopaths. And that, of course, is a consequence of agriculture which put that artificial stress on women to begin with.

Wiley, who writes about the female reproductive cycles points out that once you finish your reproductive years, you begin to die. But she was writing without a full field of information, specifically the ketogenic diet (and her assumption that eating carbs in summer was natural).

These are good points Ailén and Laura, and I think it also goes hand in hand with the discussion held on the Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation thread. Considering the sheer number of us populating planet Earth right now, naturally restricting reproductive functions could have well regulated our number, if we hadn't created total havoc with our bodies and the planet at large.

Due to my own problems with amenorrhea reported elsewhere, I have been reading and listening to several podcasts on female health, and often the shutting down of reproductive functions comes up as an issue. However, I think that what I have been listening to may refer to a different context more applicable to very thin and even under weight women who often exercise, in which case the body seems to shut down instead of entering reproductive "standby" and overall regeneration mode, in contrast to women with regular weight whose reproductive functions may simply come to a natural temporary stall when restricting calories through IF. Well, obviously the mainstream view will still be completely biased towards considering a monthly cycle as normal, so I suppose I have to know how to filter what I hear/read.

I'm still interested on reading more on how IF may affect men and women differently, and if so, why. Hopefully with more time I'll manage to dig up those articles.

I've read in several places that too much physical exercise will shut down a woman's reproductive system and trigger the generation of male hormones or something like that.

Posted earlier today: Ketosis 101 Part I, by Peter Attia, M.D.
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

Interesting reading; great review. I can't wait for part II!

Megan said:
Posted earlier today: Ketosis 101 Part I, by Peter Attia, M.D.
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

Interesting reading; great review. I can't wait for part II!

Me too!

Thanks, Megan! What a good and clear article with references. I like Attia's writing style, easy to comprehend. I'm eager, too, to read part II.

CHECK THIS OUT

Compare this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

With this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosis

Who came from this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_experience

Which came from this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

And that leads to "Amalgamation", the transition that is coming.

You have no idea from where i got this, please investigate the links, this is the point of this ketogenic diet.
Or maybe I got wrong somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom