Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

RedFox said:
I've been reading a lot about choline recently. It appears to be especially important in helping digest/convert fat into something usable, and is therefore useful in getting your liver user to digesting fat (taurine helps with that too).

If you aren't yet eating or can't tolerate egg yokes/liver, or are craving things with egg yokes in (such as home-made mayo) you probably need more choline. Brain fog, lack of energy, poor nerve/skin healing and headaches with smoking - more choline.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/2-more-common-nutrient-deficiencies-and-what-to-do-about-them
Choline
Choline is the precursor for acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter involved with memory; it’s an integral component of two important phospholipids; and the liver uses it to process fats and package lipids. The real authority on choline is Chris Masterjohn of the Daily Lipid blog. In fact, I’ll refer to his series of choline posts from time to time, because they do a far better job of explaining than abstracts from PubMed.

Deficiency Symptoms

Fatty liver – The research is pretty clear that a choline deficiency is majorly responsible for fatty liver.
Lowered VLDL – Without choline, very low-density lipoprotein synthesis in the liver is disrupted. While reducing VLDL might make your lipid panel happy, it also sets you up for developing fatty liver, since the fat isn’t being packaged into lipoproteins for dispersal.
Elevated ALT levels – Elevated alamine transaminase levels could indicate liver problems, which are often caused by a choline deficiency.
Elevated homocysteine – A choline deficiency results in a reduced capacity to methylate homocysteine (PDF).
Impaired memory – Since choline is the precursor for acetylcholine, a choline deficiency often manifests as a memory impairment. One study even found that choline supplementation improved memory in humans who were deficient.

Why Might Deficiency Occur?

You’re still scared of dietary fat and cholesterol. The best sources of choline come packaged with fat and cholesterol. I imagine this fear explains the “silent epidemic” of fatty liver across America that Chris Masterjohn discusses, but don’t let it get to you.
You’re still scared of offal. Yeah, yeah, it’s icky, it has a very distinct taste, your grandma used to overcook liver and force you to eat it, whatever. Liver and other offal bits are awesome and essential.
You’re not scared of dietary fat and cholesterol. Huh? Doesn’t this contradict number one? Not exactly. Most of you are all about the fat, and that’s awesome, but eating more fat increases the need for choline. This doesn’t mean you have to reduce the fat; you simply have to increase your choline intake (luckily, Primal fat sources are also often choline sources, as you’ll see below).

That's interesting. Choline is considered to be part of the B-complex vitamins, isn't it?

I was recently checking on the ingredients in a vit-B complex and it was there too, and I've found that many other compounds in it where considered to be important in the metabolism of fat. The problem is that I've tried it once and I felt all sorts of side effects, such as iching, heartbeat acceleration, headache, sleepyness and dizziness... I've read that some people are sensitive to B-complex supplements and that they can include this symptoms... hard luck, because I thought I could benefit from some more B vitamins. :(

If you are getting those side effects from the B vitamin complex, the itching/heart racing may be niacin. The headache/sleepiness/dizziness may be folic acid (if it's not in a methyl-folate form), in which case you should avoid vegetables and B complex's with folate in - it's likely you have the MTHFR mutation, as folate makes the symptoms worse.
Egg yokes are probably the best source of choline, next to liver (which I can only eat so much of). I also have a bag of choline bitartrate powder which is helping with eating more fat.

RedFox said:
If you are getting those side effects from the B vitamin complex, the itching/heart racing may be niacin. The headache/sleepiness/dizziness may be folic acid (if it's not in a methyl-folate form), in which case you should avoid vegetables and B complex's with folate in - it's likely you have the MTHFR mutation, as folate makes the symptoms worse.
Egg yokes are probably the best source of choline, next to liver (which I can only eat so much of). I also have a bag of choline bitartrate powder which is helping with eating more fat.

Thanks RedFox, I imagined it was something like that because of what you also mentioned in the Hidradenitis Suppurativa thread about folic acid. Gaby also told me about a better quality B-complex supplement with 5-MTHF (active folate), but I don't know if I want to experiment on that one, wouldn't it trigger the same effects?

I still can't tolerate egg yokes on a daily basis, so I'll check the other options to get more B vitamins. ;)

I was searching for some guides on the autoimmune protocol and I've found that The Paleo Mom website contains very detailed information on it.

I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned it and I missed it, but I thought it can be very useful for those who have autoimmune conditions or noticed having several allergic reactions and food sensitivities: The Autoimmune Protocol

It is the first place where I find an explanation of why Stevia can be "like gluten" for some of us:

Steviol glycosides are synthesized in the same pathway and end up being structurally very similar to the plant hormones gibberellin and kaurene. This means that steviol glycosides have a hormone structure. The majority of toxicological studies establish that stevia is safe, however there are some studies showing that it can act as a mutagen and may increase the risk of cancer (these studies are in the minority and tend to use quite high concentrations, so they are readily discarded in discussions of the overall safety of consuming stevia). Whether or not stevia causes genetic mutations is not the only cause for concern, however (even if safety studies focus on this particular property). For those with autoimmune disease, in which hormones have such a dramatic impact on disease development and progression, the impact of consuming stevia on hormone regulation is relevant.

There is evidence that steviol glycosides have contraceptive effects in both males and females. In particular, one specific steviol glycoside, called stevioside, has been shown to have potent contraceptive properties in female rats, implying that stevia may have an impact on estrogen, progesterone or both. In another study, male rats fed stevia extracts showed a decrease in fertility, reduced testosterone levels and testicular atrophy, potentially attributable binding of steviol glycosides with an androgen receptor. Although no studies have been conducted evaluating the impact of stevia on fertility in humans, the stevia plant was traditionally used to control the fertility of women by the Guarani Indians in southern Brazil. While small and occasional consumption of stevia likely has little to no impact on general health, it should not be consumed on a regular basis especially by those with altered hormone balance and dysfunctional immune systems.

One thing I was wondering (and I'm sorry again if someone has already mentioned) is if avocado can also be added on the list of possible triggers. I've found a mention to its toxicity to animals in the forum, because of the Persin in it, but it's generally stated that it normally doesn't cause reactions on humans, except in very allergic people (which is the case of people with autoimmune disease). There is also the fact that avocados have a lot of omega-6 fatty acids, which would mean that consuming it everyday could increase inflammation and that could be problematic for sensitive people (prone to inflammation). That leads me to think that it should be avoided, am I right? The thing is that, from what I can find on the subject, avocado is included in all autoimmune protocols.

On this diet, we should be getting plenty of B vitamins (if you have a major deficiency for a long time, you may still need to supplement though). If you can't tolerate egg yolks for choline, try to increase the organ meats, particularly liver. I know many don't like it, but if it's good quality (from a very healthy animal) organ meats, they're actually quite tasty. Twice a week, at least, would be a huge benefit. Try eating it with bacon and plenty of butter - it's really delicious. I used to HATE liver when I was a child, but starting when I was a teenager, I actually started liking it if cooked/prepared right. And after a health issue I overcame by, among other things, eating LOTS of liver and other organs, I began to actually LOVE the taste. So it's really possible to get over the repulsion to the taste/texture of organ meat. Plus they're really cheap, at least where I am, compared to muscle meats, especially the good cuts that you can cook many different ways (rather than stew cuts which are too tough to eat any other way). Just make sure you don't overcook liver and other organs, both to keep them tender and keep the highest nutrient density (some of the nutrients are quite vulnerable to high heat/long cooking).

Just saw your new post, Yas.

SeekinTruth said:
On this diet, we should be getting plenty of B vitamins (if you have a major deficiency for a long time, you may still need to supplement though). If you can't tolerate egg yolks for choline, try to increase the organ meats, particularly liver. I know many don't like it, but if it's good quality (from a very healthy animal) organ meats, they're actually quite tasty. Twice a week, at least, would be a huge benefit. Try eating it with bacon and plenty of butter - it's really delicious. I used to HATE liver when I was a child, but starting when I was a teenager, I actually started liking it if cooked/prepared right. And after a health issue I overcame by, among other things, eating LOTS of liver and other organs, I began to actually LOVE the taste. So it's really possible to get over the repulsion to the taste/texture of organ meat. Plus they're really cheap, at least where I am, compared to muscle meats, especially the good cuts that you can cook many different ways (rather than stew cuts which are too tough to eat any other way). Just make sure you don't overcook liver and other organs, both to keep them tender and keep the highest nutrient density (some of the nutrients are quite vulnerable to high heat/long cooking).

Just saw your new post, Yas.

Thanks SeekinTruth, I actually LOVE liver :D and I particularly enjoy eating lots of organ meats, so that's not a problem for me. Just a question though... I know that diet hasn't got much to do with hemochromatosis, yet, I must ask just in case. Wouldn't liver increase the amount of iron excess if one has a tendency to that? I still don't know if my ferritin level is due to Vit C intake in the past or a real tendency (I did my first bloodletting in December so I have to do another one and do some testing in order to see how the ferritin levels behave).

Yeah, liver (and eating so much meat, particularly "red" meat, less so pork, paltry, etc.) can increase iron load in the system if you're inclined to that. That's why, even if this diet is very healthy, those with hemochromatosis have to be careful with the iron overload issue. So you'd have to keep track of your iron panel blood test a couple of times a year and do some recanting to keep the ferritin levels in the safe range.

For vitamin C consumption, keep it as far away from (high iron) meals as possible. But you don't really need vitamin C supplements when tending toward zero carbs - especially eating lots of liver/organ meats - unless needed for a specific health issue.

Lecithin is also a very good source of choline. Just FYI.

I just wish to ask a quick question: I have made a batch of pork belly combined with some sausage, bone broth (first batch off the bones) and some molihere (I think they are basically dried nettles?)

I was wondering if I put some melted lard on top whether I could store this long - term in glass jars without refrigeration?

Perhaps the bone-broth would deteriorate quickly thus making the whole batch useless?

In which case I will just freeze it for future consumption.

happyliza said:
I just wish to ask a quick question: I have made a batch of pork belly combined with some sausage, bone broth (first batch off the bones) and some molihere (I think they are basically dried nettles?)

I was wondering if I put some melted lard on top whether I could store this long - term in glass jars without refrigeration?

Perhaps the bone-broth would deteriorate quickly thus making the whole batch useless?

Yes, bone broth will not last long outside of the fridge.

happyliza said:

Hi happyliza, I think your only option is to get hold of a pressure canner and start jarring them. Otherwise there's no way of storing it "long-term".

If you can get hold of a dehydrator you would be able to dehydrate meat, although I don't think you would be able to dehydrate bone broth.

Keyhole said:
If you can get hold of a dehydrator you would be able to dehydrate meat, although I don't think you would be able to dehydrate bone broth.

Apparently you can, but it's a lot of work. This lady calls it pocket soup : _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2km4vIZZmg. You simmer the broth down to a thick gel, let it cool until it resembles fruit leather, then dehydrate it at 135 F for two days to keep it from melting. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's useful to keep in mind.

zlyja said:
Apparently you can, but it's a lot of work. This lady calls it pocket soup : _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2km4vIZZmg. You simmer the broth down to a thick gel, let it cool until it resembles fruit leather, then dehydrate it at 135 F for two days to keep it from melting. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's useful to keep in mind.
Wow! That sounds like an awesome idea. You could just add hot water to the powdered broth to drink :D I wonder you would lose any of the nutrients when dehydrating it...

Thanks for the link zlyja!!

Just letting my first batch of homemade Pate cool before throwing it into the food processor. I have spent the last few days processing a bag of pork fat/skin into pork rinds, lard and cracklings as well as half the belly into bacon. The bacon turned out awesome, and I just had a few homemade pork rinds from Laura's recipe with my breakfast today. Yum!! Although I overcooked them a little (newbie), they were still delicious. I still have another half of a pork belly to do and another big bag of fat and skin, but that will have to wait until my wrist is feeling better - quite sore after all that chopping and slicing.
I improvised on the recipe as somehow I didn't end up with the liver from my pig after it went to the butcher, so used beef liver instead. I can't stand the taste of liver, so I'm hoping the meat mix turned out all right. I do like pate, so I'm hopeful...

Meechel17 said:
I can't stand the taste of liver, so I'm hoping the meat mix turned out all right. I do like pate, so I'm hopeful...

Hey Meechel17, have you taken a look at the meatloaf recipe video? Its an easy way to eat lots of liver and the taste of the meat and herbs nicely covers up the taste of the liver.

Meatloaf video link :D

Back
Top Bottom