Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Dear boys and girls of the C's; I seek your wisdom :-).

I often function as an online shopper for my stepmother and one of her current requests is for a Keto diet recipe book. She is trying to lose weight as she is in her 70s, is overweight, has various health issues and recently had a second stroke. She hopes that if she loses weight then that might disincline a third stroke which may be the nasty one. She is frustrated by online keto sites as the recipes tend to be stuck behind a paywall. This has not been my experience when looking for keto recipes but there you are. Of course, if you have any recommendations for non-paywalled keto recipe sites that would work too! There are a gazillion keto diet recipe books out there as you might expect but without any personal experience of them, I hesitate to recommend any so I hope that you good people may be able to help. I have checked the forum recommended reading list but nothing jumps out at me as obviously fitting her needs.

I have strongly recommended she try the Paleo diet as delineated in 'Life is Religion'. I said I would transcribe that small section and send it to her so she can consider doing that initially or instead. If you feel that this is an abuse of your copyright then please do say. I would just buy her the book and send it to her but she is fully bought into the Lockdown and I don't want to freak her out with anything that is too way out for her :-/.

Much love to you all :love:.
Maybe try looking on _abebooks.com for a used copy of an Atkins type cookbook? Here is the page, with a couple for <$4, and free shipping.
_Atkins Cookbook - AbeBooks
Most libraries have books like this. Also, University of Youtube is full of (free!) recipes and demonstrations for making Keto friendly recipes.
Sites like all recipes dot com have a lot of free stuff that can be clipped, pasted and printed into a customized booklet for her, based on her style, flavor and ingredient preferences.
Is she computer literate? Sites like my fitness pal and fit day make it easy to track intake and macro dietary goals, especially with custom recipes.
If not, there are probably some old calorie and carb counter paperbacks around (check abebooks) for doing the math by hand.
Good luck!

if, when we start getting back to fat burning, paleo eating, ...

Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ is the most effective tool for the treatment of the diseases of civilization.

all diseases... ? treatment...

The reproduction of the Stone Age diet as the basic idea behind Paleolithic nutrition appeared first in gastroenterologist Walter L. Voegtlin’s book (Voegtlin, 1975). In his ambitious work of theoretical and practical bases, Voegtlin states that an animal meat-fat diet is considered to be the only diet that is a perfect fit for the physiological functioning of people. Voegtlin also states that raw vegetables should be completely excluded, and fermented vegetables can be eaten in moderation, while eating fruits is only acceptable if eaten in small amounts and not regularly. Nora Gedgaudas’s book, which integrates the latest scientific advances, also argues in favor of the animal fat-based Paleolithic diet (Gedgaudas, 2011).

Therapeutic protocol of Paleomedicina Hungary

Therapeutic protocol of Paleomedicina Hungary
We have developed the PKD in 2010-2011. Previously we have been using the paleolithic diet which proved to be ineffective in the vast majority of chronic conditions. We believe that the PKD is the only evolutionary adapted diet for humans. Rehabilitation of chronic diseases is most effective when the diet is limited to our real physiological needs. Eating fruits and vegetables does not form part of our physiological need but are associated with risks. Plant foods can only be regarded as ”relatively” safe and only when certain plant food items are consumed and only in limited amounts. The diet was derived from clinical evidence and was not primarily influenced by archeological or ethnographic evidence, given that the application of the diet is clinical too. Altogether clinical experience was derived from about 4000 patients.
Csaba Tóth, Andrea Dabóczi, Mária Schimmer, Zsófia Clemens

For more information
and all carnivore world groups...

More information from the medical literature is found within online carnivorous community posts.
I believe i saw..

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

There are a few interesting facts in a book called The Ketogenic Diet: A Treatment for Children and Others with Epilepsy, by John Freeman et al. The authors promote the ketogenic diet as an alternative to anticonvulsant medications in treating epilepsy, and there seems to be a fairly high success rate in stopping seizures indefinitely, even after children leave the diet after a couple years (and despite the fact that they still include dairy products like cheese and heavy cream in the diet). One of the things they do to jump-start ketosis is to begin with a 36-hour fast, which "often leads to a dramatic improvement in seizures more quickly than starting the diet without fasting."

Once juvenile epileptics are successfully on the diet and their seizures have stopped, many of them are apparently extremely susceptible to carbs -- there have been some cases reported of seizures reoccurring when they are accidentally exposed to lipstick, soap, or suntan lotion containing sorbitol, which is absorbed through the skin. Once they discontinue use of these products, their seizures subside again.

Besides epilepsy and a short discussion of brain tumors and other kinds of cancer, they also speculate about the efficacy of the ketogenic diet in treating migraines, diabetes, and hyperactivity, ADHD, and other behavior disorders. This is based on secondhand evidence that they've observed during their treatment of patients with epilepsy, but they suggest that follow-up studies should be done in these areas.
I plan on ordering this book. I developed epilepsy in 2014, haven't had any seizures since 2016, but I have been on a ketogenic diet since then. I do use cream, butter, a occasionally cheese.

Just want to report that I’ve finally started Keto in earnest four days ago and doing great so far. I’ve been trying out different things over the years but would always just revert back to the standard diet. I tried carnivore for a week or so a year or so ago and that didn’t work out for me. I just couldn’t eat enough and my digestion was terrible.
Before starting this Keto journey, I was eating a pretty regular diet including grains and dairy, but not too much sweets. Also, my wife and I try to source our food and don’t eat junk, usually.
So I went from that to full Keto, probably no more than 10g carbs per day. I’m having no issues so far and I think I’ve been in ketosis for 2 days now. Is there a way to know without taking a test? I’m having that sort of metallic taste in my mouth plus I definitely feel different, but can’t quite put my finger on it. I’ve read about this metallic taste, but I don’t know if that’s actually good or it means that something is not going right.
Anyway, just wanted to put it out there and I’ll be reporting back here with my experience and some detail about what I’m actually eating.

Just want to report that I’ve finally started Keto in earnest four days ago and doing great so far. I’ve been trying out different things over the years but would always just revert back to the standard diet. I tried carnivore for a week or so a year or so ago and that didn’t work out for me. I just couldn’t eat enough and my digestion was terrible.
Before starting this Keto journey, I was eating a pretty regular diet including grains and dairy, but not too much sweets. Also, my wife and I try to source our food and don’t eat junk, usually.
So I went from that to full Keto, probably no more than 10g carbs per day. I’m having no issues so far and I think I’ve been in ketosis for 2 days now. Is there a way to know without taking a test? I’m having that sort of metallic taste in my mouth plus I definitely feel different, but can’t quite put my finger on it. I’ve read about this metallic taste, but I don’t know if that’s actually good or it means that something is not going right.
Anyway, just wanted to put it out there and I’ll be reporting back here with my experience and some detail about what I’m actually eating.
The taste in your mouth I have heard can from Iodine, and perhaps detoxing as well. I have heard that when you begin ketosis, that you can be breathing out acetone, a byproduct of ketosis, as your body is unable to use all the ketones that are being produced in your body, and that this can be experienced as 'bad breath'. Once your body upregulates its capacity to utilize ketones, then the acetone overflow into the breath goes away. This is my understanding, and I don't know if the metallic taste is due to ketones or not, as I have not experienced it myself.

The taste in your mouth I have heard can from Iodine, and perhaps detoxing as well. I have heard that when you begin ketosis, that you can be breathing out acetone, a byproduct of ketosis, as your body is unable to use all the ketones that are being produced in your body, and that this can be experienced as 'bad breath'. Once your body upregulates its capacity to utilize ketones, then the acetone overflow into the breath goes away. This is my understanding, and I don't know if the metallic taste is due to ketones or not, as I have not experienced it myself.
Makes sense. Interestingly, the taste is much less pronounced today upon waking up. Haven’t eaten anything yet so will monitor things.

As anartist wrote, the taste could come from the ketones or the diet change itself since you fully changed the fuel of your (body) engine so to speak. Though I must say, normally you don't smell the acetone that comes from the diet and your body only another person could tell you.

Last night I wrote I had no issues so far. Well, I woke up to pee around 5 am ( this has been happening since I started, I guess I’m drinking more water since going keto) and then I felt like diarrhea coming on. Sure enough, there it was. Not too watery, but fatty instead. The problem is there’s blood. A good deal too. I sometimes get this, but not in this amount. Pooped just now again and more blood.
Some 15 years ago when I was 17, my best friend committed suicide. I developed constant diarrhea and some blood in the stool during the next month and lost around 12 kilos in the process. I went to all the doctors, did all the invasive checkups and they found no reason for this. I then figured out myself that it’s the milk that I was drinking in large amounts back then. I stopped drinking milk and the diarrhea stopped. I had sudden onset lactose intolerance due to stress, apparently. That was the last time I went to see a doctor other than a dentist. During the colonoscopy, the doctor found a polyp near the end of my colon and said it was nothing to worry about and that that was what was causing the blood in the stool. I’m guessing this is the same thing now, but I never had this amount. It’s not like a full on hemorrhage, but there’s triple of what I usually get on a rare occasion.
I’ve been drinking milk again for the last couple of years when I realized that I can handle raw milk. It helped me get my weight back up to what it was all those years ago. Recently, I started getting diarrhea again and that’s one of the things that prompted me to go keto and stick with it.
Anyway, I’m running to the toilet every five minutes or anything, but this blood is a bit worrying. I hope it’s just a sign that the body is starting to fix things. I know that candida can make things a lot worse for you while it’s dying, so maybe it’s something like that. I’ll be monitoring the situation, but any input is very welcome.
Thanks

I
As anartist wrote, the taste could come from the ketones or the diet change itself since you fully changed the fuel of your (body) engine so to speak. Though I must say, normally you don't smell the acetone that comes from the diet and your body only another person could tell you.
I don’t smell anything, there’s just a metallic taste, but it’s a lot less noticeable today, already.

I'm not sure about the bloody stool issue, but maybe it's a hemorrhoid or anal fissure that's been irritated from the diarrhea. I'm sure it's concerning for you and I think you're right to monitor it for now. I hope it resolves quickly.

To help with the diarrhea, a lipase supplement works for me. That one specifically helps you digest fats. You have to take it with each meal. For me, I had about a two week adaption period where I took it with every meal. Now I only take it when I eat something I know will set me off like a fatty bone broth.

Having to pee in the night is quite common, especially when your body is newly in ketosis. I don't think the mechanism is really known there other than the kidneys are working harder than usual to flush something out. (some sort of detox?)

The blood is concerning. You might want to see a doctor if it persist much longer.

I'm not sure about the bloody stool issue, but maybe it's a hemorrhoid or anal fissure that's been irritated from the diarrhea. I'm sure it's concerning for you and I think you're right to monitor it for now. I hope it resolves quickly.

To help with the diarrhea, a lipase supplement works for me. That one specifically helps you digest fats. You have to take it with each meal. For me, I had about a two week adaption period where I took it with every meal. Now I only take it when I eat something I know will set me off like a fatty bone broth.
I’ll look into where I can get some lipase, but hopefully, by the time I get it, it won’t be necessary anymore. The blood is almost certainly from that polyp in my colon that occasionally gets bruised and lets out some blood. What’s concerning is that it’s a good deal more than what I used to see before.
Having to pee in the night is quite common, especially when your body is newly in ketosis. I don't think the mechanism is really known there other than the kidneys are working harder than usual to flush something out. (some sort of detox?)

The blood is concerning. You might want to see a doctor if it persist much longer.
I thought it might be something like that and definitely feel like I need more water now, but it’s not a thirst like you get from ingesting too much salt. I just tank up all day without feeling that thirst in my mouth.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on the blood. Haven’t had a bowel movement since this morning. We’ll see what this night has in store. Certainly more dreams of needing to pee and rude awakenings in the middle of the night.

hey @Revolucionar
water flushes out whenever you deplete glycogen like before entering ketosis

each gram of glycogen holds 3 grams of water so you'll pee 3-4kg of water the first days...

what you want to do is not drinking more water cause that will make you excrete more water while depleting your body of electrolytes, only drink if you're thirsty
and up your electrolyte intake instead

, I’m running to the toilet every five minutes or anything, but this blood is a bit worrying. I hope it’s just a sign that the body is starting to fix things. I know that candida can make things a lot worse for you while it’s dying, so maybe it’s something like that. I’ll be monitoring the situation, but any input is very welcome.
You should find out more about this story of blood in the stools, especially if it's not new, and eventually get medical help.
My dad had blood on his stools too, it was hard to deal with when he didn't have time to go to the bathroom.
He turned out to have hyperpermeability in his intestines, or leaky gut syndrome.
I put you here some links:
Leaky gut syndrome - Wikipedia
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Insurance & Gut Issues.

Update: things seem to have stabilised. My poop is back to normal mostly, actually better than normal and no more blood after that first night. I’m going to the toilet a lot less than I had been before the diet and I’m not even urinating a lot anymore. So far so good. Only thing is, I’m losing weight which is not desirable, but I hope to start gaining once I get the hang of my recipes and daily intake.

Back
Top Bottom