Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Andrey

Padawan Learner
Well, first thing to note is that saturated fats may in some increase some fraction of cholesterol, the thing is - who cares!

Cholesterol is not the bogeyman you may have been led to believe it is. There is for instance no correlation between patients admitted to ED with acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) and their level of cholesterol - if the hypothesis were true that cholesterol causes heart disease, the result would be skewed towards high cholesterol. Cholesterol is (mostly - with the exception of some genetic variants) a sign of inflammation, the attempt of the body to fix things.

The main issue with PUFA is oxydation - or in another term, they turn ‘rancid’. That is why a lot of those PUFA need to be chemically treated/ processed to be palatable, and to remain so over the (prolonged) shelf life of the product.

Most dieticians are still wed to the old Keysian ‘Lipid Heart Disease Theory’ - this theory has been shown to be incorrect at least 30 years ago, if not longer.

Well my dad has high cholesterol problems and high blood pressure, not to mention an excised gall bladder, and I've been looking to see if a keto diet and consuming saturated fats would be beneficial for him, but I'm sure his doctor would disagree. Would keto work for him or people like him?

Andrey

Padawan Learner
Also are there potential negative side effects from being in ketosis long term? Or do the pros outweigh the cons in this case? From what I've gathered so far, this forum promotes being on keto long term and indefinitely if possible... but people I've spoken to say that isn't a good idea.

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Also are there potential negative side effects from being in ketosis long term? Or do the pros outweigh the cons in this case? From what I've gathered so far, this forum promotes being on keto long term and indefinitely if possible... but people I've spoken to say that isn't a good idea.
I recommend that you take your time to read all 287 pages of this thread. You will learn a lot. Keto is not for everyone.

nicklebleu

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Keto is not for everyone

I totally agree with hlat - read the whole thread if you want to know more about this topic. It’s a long thread and you’ll see that the stance on keto diet has shifted somewhat over time.

As hlat mentioned, keto is not for everyone, and to be in keto all the time, even if you tolerate it well, is questionable. I used to be hard-core keto for about three years and have upped my carbs somewhat over time. I also do intermittent fasting, which may convey similar benefits.

So, yes, read the thread and you’ll know a whole lot more about the keto diet.

As to your dad - everyone can benefit from keto, problem is, you won’t know unless you try. And then, the benefits maybe are not due to the keto diet per se, but by the avoidance of stuff you would eat if not on a keto diet.

It’s complicated, and most importantly, it’s an individual thing. You might have to experiment - and experiment for a prolonged period of time - to know whether keto is for you, and to what degree.

Top Bottom