Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

An update on my experiment:

My three day water fast was a bit of a breeze. I felt hungry the first day but not terribly so. I wasn't bursting with energy but I was still able to go about my day and did my first full kettlebell routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE&feature=related

It was rough. I only did two rounds instead of three. I went into ketosis on about the second day with a white coated tongue, bad breath and purple ketostix. (If you're gonna be testing often and want to make your keto stix stretch cut them in half longways so you get two tests out of one strip.)

So since I was able to do all that without keeling over, I waited a couple of days and decided to try a 36 hour fast. In hindsight, I'm guessing it was too much too soon. The first full day of not eating (yesterday) I felt great. I was kinda hyped and got a lot of errands done and things around the house. I was a little hungry but not too bad. Around 8 o'clock last night I became unbearably hungry and was about to just grab something to eat.

***TMI alert****

I made a pit stop in the bathroom and passed some mucous-like stool. Then I became very nauseous so I couldn't eat anyway. I decided to lay down. Then I felt a strong urge to :barf: ...which I did seven different times. Eventually, I just put a bucket by the bed. It was small amounts of yellow to brown gastric contents. I felt better when it was all done but my sleep stunk the rest of the night. When I ate this morning, I was only able to take in half my usual amount. My dinner was very small too. Just doing random searches over the net I read that some people can be nauseous, vomit and have poor sleep when first starting intermittent fasting.

Despite all the retching, I couldn't help but think it was a good sign that I'm clearing junk from these stubborn fat cells. (Maybe one day I'll finally reach the debris from all that gub'ment cheese I used to eat as a child. ) I just need to slow down and remember Vit C and clay to help bind and mobilize some of these toxins. Better out than in, I always say.

White coating on the tongue is yeast OSIT. It sounds like you have a yeast gut infection.

If you are purging yeast from the gut, it may be helpful to fill the void with probiotics such as from homemade organic sauerkraut. When I started the Keto diet something similar happened and then my stools became tough and hard to pass. I found homemade sauerkraut was one of the only things that helped (I took up to 16G of vitamin C per day but that didn't help).

monotonic said:
White coating on the tongue is yeast OSIT. It sounds like you have a yeast gut infection.

If you are purging yeast from the gut, it may be helpful to fill the void with probiotics such as from homemade organic sauerkraut. When I started the Keto diet something similar happened and then my stools became tough and hard to pass. I found homemade sauerkraut was one of the only things that helped (I took up to 16G of vitamin C per day but that didn't help).

Thanks monotonic. I'll look further into this. I have eaten some sauerkraut recently and I really like it. Making homemade sauerkraut is on my to-do list.

Hildegarda said:
IMO there's no contradiction. What is your resting body temperature? What do other people say about how hot or cool you feel when they are cuddling next to you? My temperature is always on a higher side, and I am known as "the furnace" in the family, yet my feet and hands also get cold easily, and I am skinny. It's consistent: I produce a lot of body heat and lose it quickly. FWIW.

"The furnace"- nice! I needed a laugh after reading what I did about gluten today in the early pages of this thread. On a serious note though, it would seem skinny people for some reason burn off everything, including muscle mass if they do not intake enough. I wonder if this is like the "fight" in a "flight or fight" metabolism. Due to mitochondrial dysfunction, the body either burns everything off as an overreaction to the out of balance elements in the body, or it stores and encapsulates everything (as fat loaded with toxins) in an attempt to isolate the imbalance, osit.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts, so back to page 70 for me.

What you say about muscle mass sounds right to me. I was at a children's home where my diet was mostly carbs, prepared pastas and lasagnas, spicy offal dogs and crisco. I was in weightlifting and would get stronger during the week, but I would lose all my strength during the weekends. I would come t the gym and my mates would wonder where all my strength went.

monotonic said:

That's not necessarily the case.

A white tongue will happen in anyone fasting and is most of the time a sign of the little tongue buds (papillae) on the tongue growing uninhibited. When you eat, you tend to wear them down, when you fast, you don't, hence the whitish tongue. Of course you can still have yeast, but I would not take this as a reliable sign, but take in all the other signs to make a decision if it is yeast or not.

I've been on the intermittent fasting for the last few days and noticed, that on the fasting days I feel a lot colder: cold hands and generally a sense of clamminess.
I just wonder how Jack Kruse's cold thermogenesis ties into that - maybe this feeling of cold/ shivering when intermittently fasting would vanish if my body was cold-adapted.
Still waiting for this guy to publish his book (was supposed to be out in May ...).

It's surprisingly easy to do (when in ketosis), the inconvenience is more of a practical nature, when everybody around you is eating "normally" and you sit around sipping tea. But also noticed higher energy levels and in one week lost 2 kg of weight!

The only thing now missing for me is resistance training - haven't had the guts to get into it yet. Working on it!

Just wanted to mention (as I did in another thread) that I got Inositol Hexaniacinate -- a flush-free niacin -- for my mother from Swanson's. Each capsule is 500 mg and gives absolutely no flush. So those of you who want to have higher doses of niacin without the flush, might want to look into that. FWIW.

Flush free niacin is nasty, generally. You want to take enough to be just UNDER the uncomfortable flush level, but you do want the flush, very slight.

Odyssey, I guess you aren't really understanding that this is not supposed to be full bore fasting, but just maybe 48 hours at most to get the ketosis going and keep it going WHILE EATING but restricting protein so that it won't be converted to glucose. Full fasting only turns your body's "conserve" thing on, it doesn't necessrily do that much good to persist.

And the Intermittent Fasting can be as simple as just cutting way back on your consumption on those days, not fasting entirely!

Ya'll please read stuff carefully before experimenting. No reason to be more uncomfortable than need be! Try the slow and easy way first, it usually works. Most people here in the house have gone into ketosis (from the paleo diet) after just 18 hours of fasting or so. That's like, not eating after 5 pm on one day, going through the night and then being able to start with fatty bone broth at noon the next day. That's not so hard! And it seems that getting something fatty in there when you are on the edge of ketosis helps it along!

Meanwhile, I did my third work-out yesterday and it was pretty good. I'm still a wimp but I'm not in pain afterward today like I was after the first one. I also feel somewhat better.

Atriedes pointed out to me that part of the problem of getting so miserable for a bit in the initial stages could be because, as a couple of the papers we have read point out, when the "wild mtDNA" (stem cell mtDNA) gets activated by the resistance exercise and ketosis, it begins producing proteins that make the damaged mtDNA that have been "making do" for so long realize that they are damaged and they begin committing suicide en masse. That is, apoptosis.

Also, we found a whole bunch more papers on the benefits of ketogenic diets, and one of them actually had a fairly decent feed for the rats involved. Surprise, surprise! Some fascinating and very enlightening observations in some of these including the fact that the ketogenic diet raises the stress coping capacity by about 60%!!!! We'll get them listed with links as soon as the canning of more liver pate is done for the day. I tell ya, that stuff is pure gold! Mix it with some lard, roll it up in a lettuce leaf, and it's heaven!

As of today, everyone in the house (including guests) is on the ketogenic diet and we are experimenting a bit to see what the parameters are individually and overall. While the ketostix are not the ideal way to measure anything, they do give a general idea and, I think can help identify if one goes way off track, eating too much protein at one sitting.

We have a birthday coming up in the house and we expect that we will all halt the ketosis on that day, so we are interested in seeing how fast it resumes afterward and if a small break such as that is direly detrimental. My thought is that if you only do it once in a month or so, it might be tolerable. But of course, the best thing is to be strict throughout a test period.

Great post on the web; well worth reading:

http://sempro.hubpages.com/hub/OVERCOMING-LUPUS-and-other-diseases-doctors-call-INCURABLE

Laura said:
We'll get them listed with links as soon as the canning of more liver pate is done for the day. I tell ya, that stuff is pure gold! Mix it with some lard, roll it up in a lettuce leaf, and it's heaven!

do you cann the already processed/cooked pate or do you put it (the grunded meat mix with the lard ) raw into the jars and let it be cooked by the canner?

monotonic said:
Oxajil, can you explain what happens to your ears in more detail? What triggers your ear issues and what helps?

Hi monotonic, I'm not sure what happens. I think it may have something to do with pressure being built up somewhere. The clogging of the ear or buzzing sound goes away after some time by itself. When it's persistent I take NAC and soon enough it goes away. Maybe some NAC will help you with your ear issues?

nicklebleu said:
monotonic said:

That's not necessarily the case.

A white tongue will happen in anyone fasting and is most of the time a sign of the little tongue buds (papillae) on the tongue growing uninhibited. When you eat, you tend to wear them down, when you fast, you don't, hence the whitish tongue. Of course you can still have yeast, but I would not take this as a reliable sign, but take in all the other signs to make a decision if it is yeast or not.

After thinking on this further, this is not the white coated tongue of thrush and I don't have any other symptoms. I think it's more a general fasting side effect.

Laura said:
Odyssey, I guess you aren't really understanding that this is not supposed to be full bore fasting, but just maybe 48 hours at most to get the ketosis going and keep it going WHILE EATING but restricting protein so that it won't be converted to glucose. Full fasting only turns your body's "conserve" thing on, it doesn't necessrily do that much good to persist.

And the Intermittent Fasting can be as simple as just cutting way back on your consumption on those days, not fasting entirely!

Yes, I definitely need to slow it down and do it the easier way with broth on fasting days.

Hildegarda said:
Psalehesost said:
Ailén said:
Omitting the technical details, what it comes down to, I think, is that "skinny people" with a "high metabolism [..] burn whatever they eat very fast, as heat.
Wonder how I fit in - while one of the skinnies (and have thus far been unable to gain any significant weight), rather than having high body heat it's the opposite - at any rate when it comes to the extremities.

IMO there's no contradiction. What is your resting body temperature? What do other people say about how hot or cool you feel when they are cuddling next to you? My temperature is always on a higher side, and I am known as "the furnace" in the family, yet my feet and hands also get cold easily, and I am skinny. It's consistent: I produce a lot of body heat and lose it quickly. FWIW.

True. Checking right now with a thermometer, my right hand (holding it) is 24.6 C, my left hand 28.3 C (the right hand has held the computer mouse, which is colder, which might explain the difference), my mouth (under my tongue) 36.5 C. (Note: With two early mornings to catch the bus for exams, I haven't slept enough the last two nights - don't know if this makes a difference, but can check tomorrow if it reads differently, and if so post an update.)

I don't have experience cuddling with people, so can relay no such feedback. Cold hands and feet are the only things with regard to body temperature that have been commented upon.

Oxajil said:
monotonic said:
Oxajil, can you explain what happens to your ears in more detail? What triggers your ear issues and what helps?

Hi monotonic, I'm not sure what happens. I think it may have something to do with pressure being built up somewhere. The clogging of the ear or buzzing sound goes away after some time by itself. When it's persistent I take NAC and soon enough it goes away. Maybe some NAC will help you with your ear issues?

I have this too occasionally - hearing drops off usually in the right ear but it has happened to both. Also much hum/buzz. I usually sense it in the morn and it goes away shortly after. I'll try the NAC next time - thanks Oxajil.

On IF, I've been doing on-off days of very low intake with broth, lots of fat, and a very tiny amount of meat. Seems to work very well - no hunger at all and all systems seem to be running smooth. Energy and concentration levels are great. Its such a pleasure to be free of any food cravings.

Back
Top Bottom