"Life Without Bread"

I know someone who is interested in the diet, but just for losing weight. I was wondering what books would be best to suggest? I know that doing the reading is important, so I was thinking of this.

And I went through the diet for a period of slow transition over 2+ years. So I find it hard to say where to start. I was thinking that Life Without Bread and Primal Body Primal Mind would give all the info needed to start a low carb diet. Any thoughts on that?

3D Student said:
I know someone who is interested in the diet, but just for losing weight. I was wondering what books would be best to suggest? I know that doing the reading is important, so I was thinking of this.

And I went through the diet for a period of slow transition over 2+ years. So I find it hard to say where to start. I was thinking that Life Without Bread and Primal Body Primal Mind would give all the info needed to start a low carb diet. Any thoughts on that?

Hi 3DS,

I think with the two books you mentioned one would have a pretty good theoretical knowledge about th e low-carb lifestyle. As a guide as to how to transition into the new diet I suggest Laura's reply #2137 of the same thread ...
And of course you can always refer them to thijs thread as well, although by now it would probably take a very dedicated person to wade through the entire thread.
And maybe you could "coach" the person as he or she goes through the different problems while transiting from the old to the new ...

Hope this helps!

Psalehesost said:
but have just finally, once again, got a lot of pig fat - probably also grain fed - so for the time I can again cut back and use lard instead, which the body agrees fully with, grain fed or not)

Hi Psalehesost,

Sorry the butter doesn't work out for you yet, as you said you got the pig fat which is really great! All the fat I consume also comes from grain-fed cattle, but I think that taking in enough omega 3s or consuming oily wild-caught fish like mackerel might atleast help out with the deficiency in omega 3s regarding grain-fed foods. Just like you I'm also pretty much working on getting my gut healed up, since I'm still getting bloated, oh well, a small step at a time! Good luck with continuing the diet.

Until I arrive here on the forum, I had no idea how complex were food for a lot of people and I feel united for those who cannot use this specific food in their quest of health.

I am discovering many many things here and I thank you all for sharing your own experiences. Because I ever had problems with any food, the only thing I have to get about this thread is about what I need to eat and what I do not need to eat. Needs are essential, the envy are superfluous. So I work hard to eliminate all superfluous (I already made a good part of this way) and I have to work harder to perfectly understand all the physiologic interactions.
And ALL our own experiences are powerful by understanding how our body works to make of it the best vehicle for our work on connections...

I reintroduced the pig fat in my food from three weeks and for the moment, no specific problem, but I do not forget to also use the virgin Coco oil, this last one looks be a very good alternative to the vegetables oils, at least, for me and family. So... I continue. ;)

forge said:
Butter

I'm on the second day of butter testing. Food cravings stopped completely. My brain works excellent on this super-food. No more eye-sores from over-straining. I went out and bought the most expensive Irish butter for 2.2 Euro (200grams). Tastes like heaven. Mild discomfort in stomach and a lot of gurgling. Must mention that i'm also eating the butter with xylitol, remainder of cocoa, Vit.C, calcium-lactium mix. Also eating the remainder of my buckwheat with eggs (crepes-like) since running out of saved money. Hope being able to continue paleo in near future.

Craving for excessive carbs also subsided with eating butter. I was bingeing on 'Mercy' (2-3 piece from the 250gram package) and other chocolate pieces on every night during Christmas, because had to do translations and writing CV's, doing graphics/info AD's for selling our house, all this required heavy brain-work.

With butter since two days brain-work is a breeze, just have to watch my stomach and guts sensitivity signals.

These are very interesting observations Forge. Also, to add to what has been subsequently said by others about butter, there is a video on Vimeo that intrigued me when I first watched a few moths ago. The author has tested 3 of what he calls superfoods, with incredible results. His chosen foods are flaxseed oil (I'm not too sure about this one, as many members reported sensitivity to it), pork fat, and butter.

It is well worth the watch: http://vimeo.com/28385995

nicklebleu said:
Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. Sorry for noise, as I could have found it myself. I'm thinking giving coaching tips would be better than having to read this whole thread, on top of the necessary reading of the books.

Laura said:
Gawan said:
Has someone an idea what to do?

At the moment I only take from time to time Magnesium oil as supplement and daily vitamin C with added salt in my drink. And every 3 days I use a fir-sauna a 25' with 50°C.

I think we've covered this in the thread here, but the short version is: if you are having enough fat, you shouldn't be having this problem.
I went through a similar spell that resolved after a bit. I just increased my magnesium and vitamin C AND fat!

FWIW, sometimes the symptoms still keep on. Today is the first day where I'm free of them.

At the moment I'm eating at least 125gr butter per day, sometimes a whole block of 250gr with 82% of fat. So I did test some things how to further increase the fat and butter intake:

• Nuts: There it is possible to eat teaspoon-wise butter, but going then nuts on nuts
  • Cocoa: with heated butter, doesn't taste too well, the butter flavor is then too much
  • Butter alone: not possible if something in missing
  • buttered tea: the best solution so far, to add to every tea about 20 gr. of butter and doesn't add up in carbs or proteins. The best tea sorts are spiced teas and black tea, fruit teas are okay, but the acid level of some fruits make the taste sour.

What I posted about in the dinner thread some time ago might be relevant for those seeking to increase dietary fat and having access to ground (or grindable) animal fats. As noted, I make patties with about 50% ground meat and 50% ground fat - the specific meats and fats are not so important. In my case, the meat varies between lamb and beef, and the fat is pork. Mixed up by hand in the frying pan with a bit of water (and sea salt, etc.) added, they turn out great when done with the lid on for about 45 minutes, on low heat.

It leaves - in the case of ground pork fat - plenty of lard when you make a lot of it. And the patties are fatty and great, with the additional lard going well along with them, and/or with some eggs.

Continuing my experiments to find a way of eating liver without getting a reaction, I managed to get some organic lamb’s liver recently. Calves liver was unavailable. Anything other than pig’s liver seems to be problematic in this area.

Using Laura’s suggestion of having it with bacon and slices of onion, this was my mode of operation. Taking the liver as presented, after skinning it, I sliced it thinly and fried it; this was the control version of the test. The result was that it still produced a reaction. Next test was to soak the skinned liver overnight in coconut milk – I recalled from somewhere that this was beneficial. This method was a great improvement, only one heartbeat over being free of reaction. This was a considerable improvement over the last time that I tested eating lamb’s liver. The next test was to repeat the soaking and then, this time to mince the liver before frying it, expecting a better result – it was as bad as the control case. The next test was to slice the liver first before soaking it overnight, again the result as similar to the control.

I guess it is a case of waiting a little longer for my body to adjust before testing again, this time going for the overnight soak in coconut milk; it seems to make a difference. At least some progress has been made. :)

I am having difficulty times getting bacon with out celery or sugar here . I tried to eat bacon with honey once in a while. Not much help. Tried occasional lectin removed soaked macademia, still no use. I tried to eat some coconut snacks with coconut oil. Limited quantity seems to be fine. Need to find some more snacks. Currently food is limited to pork patty and pork chops in beef tallow.

seek10 said:
I am having difficulty times getting bacon with out celery or sugar here . I tried to eat bacon with honey once in a while. Not much help.
How about just the fresh (uncured) pork belly? You can either salt it afterwards or put it in a baggie/container with salt water to add some flavor.

seek10 said:
Tried occasional lectin removed soaked macademia, still no use. I tried to eat some coconut snacks with coconut oil. Limited quantity seems to be fine. Need to find some more snacks. Currently food is limited to pork patty and pork chops in beef tallow.
Have you tried bone broth? This can be a great way to fill in the between meal times.

seek10 said:
I am having difficulty times getting bacon with out celery or sugar here . I tried to eat bacon with honey once in a while. Not much help. Tried occasional lectin removed soaked macademia, still no use. I tried to eat some coconut snacks with coconut oil. Limited quantity seems to be fine. Need to find some more snacks. Currently food is limited to pork patty and pork chops in beef tallow.

Yeah, I know. The range is really limited for me, too. We did get a dehydrator and put thin slices of beef in it to dry and eat them kinda like crackers. But nuts are only a once in awhile thing, same with anything with coconut in it. A small sald now and then and a sweet potato every other day or so is about the limit of what is truly tolerable for me and still stay comfortable. Pork rinds are a good snack, but we have to make our own here.

Yeah, you can make bone broth even from the bones of the pork chops, for example. Just save the bones, boil in a pot of water for about 24 hours, adding vinegar and/or lemon juice and then some fat. Add salt all the way at the end. And you have a satisfying and nutritional fatty broth. I do the same with the occasional whole chicken -- save the bones and make broth.

If you can get pork fat to render your own lard, the cracklings are also great.

seek10 said:

If you would like seek10, I can order some bacon from the farm here in Pennsylvania and bring it to NYC with me. We'll just have to set up some way to meet each other. Maybe on a Saturday or something? If your interested they offer Regular Bacon (raw and unsalted) $8.50lb - Country Bacon (raw and unsalted) $7.50lb or Canadian Bacon (raw and unsalted) $8.50lb. They ship it frozen via Fed Ex next day so you might like to just order it yourself but if it's easier for you I would be happy to help. Besides it would be good to see you again. ;)

seek10 said:
Need to find some more snacks.

If you can tollerate it butter makes for a good snack. Unsalted melted butter (with some xylotol disolved in it) frozen in an icecube tray can be pretty good too - if the taste isn't too odd.
I tend to have cold meat with butter on (or cold lamb fat and extra salt) for snacks.

Back
Top Bottom