"Life Without Bread"

Psyche said:
beetlemaniac said:
A question about cholesterol tests. Is it better to do the test on a fast (before breakfast) or after having a meal? I understand that dietary cholesterol has little effect on LDL levels so maybe the fasting before blood sampling is really not necessary.

If you are having a total lipid profile, you need to fast at least 12 hours before you do this kind of analysis, specially if you are measuring LDL. Next time you have your levels checked, don't eat anything for the previous 12 hours.
Thank you for the advice, I did the blood sampling before breakfast this morning.

Psyche said:
Have you read the posts about cholesterol levels on sott and here? This is a good synthesis:

https://www.sott.net/articles/show/223978-The-most-important-thing-you-probably-don-t-know-about-cholesterol

If the next test (done while fasting) is similar to the one above, it will be best to find out what your LDL is made of. The article above says where can you get those specific tests. The tests are for measuring LDL particle number or apoprotein B with methods such as lipoprotein analysis.
I read pretty much all the cholesterol articles as soon as I got the results :-[. I may have missed that one though. I think those LDL particle tests are not available in my country... my dad said he wanted me to do a coronary calcification test if my levels don't change. Maybe that's a workable compromise? I didn't like the fact that it was a procedure involving some kind of radiation though.

beetlemaniac said:
Thank you for the advice, I did the blood sampling before breakfast this morning.

Let's see how the tests come back then.

There should be some kind of test to measure LDL particle number in all countries, but know that your levels of triglycerides are an indirect indication of your levels of bad LDL as suggested by research. In your case, the triglycerides are ridiculously low.

This is all very typical of the fear of cholesterol that we've been exposed and I'm not sure your father will be able to get over it.

I don't know how old are you, but if your father is unable to understand the importance of the diet and cholesterol levels, and if it puts him to rest, you might have to do the coronary calcification test. But if you are very young, it doesn't make sense to do the test. Even if you are old enough, it is still more reasonable to see if the doctor advises it instead of doing it based on fear.

Scientific study that concludes:

In conclusion, we would urge medical practitioners to encourage individuals exhibiting MetS to strongly limit the consumption of dietary fructose and other high-glycemic-index carbohydrates, and to stop discouraging them from consuming foods rich in cholesterol.

Is the metabolic syndrome caused by a high fructose, and relatively low fat, low cholesterol diet?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3258689/?tool=pubmed

And from HERE:
http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/03/05/is-the-metabolic-syndrome-caused-by-a-high-fructose-and-relatively-low-fat-low-cholesterol-diet/

We have been trained by our physicians to worry about elevated serum levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL), with respect to heart disease. LDL is not a type of cholesterol, but rather can be viewed as a container that transports fats, cholesterol, vitamin D, and fat-soluble anti-oxidants to all the tissues of the body. Because they are not water-soluble, these nutrients must be packaged up and transported inside LDL particles in the blood stream. If you interfere with the production of LDL, you will reduce the bioavailability of all these nutrients to your body’s cells.

The outer shell of an LDL particle is made up mainly of lipoproteins and cholesterol. The lipoproteins contain proteins on the outside of the shell and lipids (fats) in the interior layer. If the outer shell is deficient in cholesterol, the fats in the lipoproteins become more vulnerable to attack by oxygen, ever-present in the blood stream. LDL particles also contain a special protein called “apoB” which enables LDL to deliver its goods to cells in need. ApoB is vulnerable to attack by glucose and other blood sugars, especially fructose. Diabetes results in an increased concentration of sugar in the blood, which further compromises the LDL particles, by gumming up apoB. Oxidized and glycated LDL particles become less efficient in delivering their contents to the cells. Thus, they stick around longer in the bloodstream, and the measured serum LDL level goes up.

Worse than that, once LDL particles have finally delivered their contents, they become “small dense LDL particles,” remnants that would ordinarily be returned to the liver to be broken down and recycled. But the attached sugars interfere with this process as well, so the task of breaking them down is assumed instead by macrophages in the artery wall and elsewhere in the body, through a unique scavenger operation. The macrophages are especially skilled to extract cholesterol from damaged LDL particles and insert it into HDL particles. Small dense LDL particles become trapped in the artery wall so that the macrophages can salvage and recycle their contents, and this is the basic source of atherosclerosis. HDL particles are the so-called “good cholesterol,” and the amount of cholesterol in HDL particles is the lipid metric with the strongest correlation with heart disease, where less cholesterol is associated with increased risk. So the macrophages in the plaque are actually performing a very useful role in increasing the amount of HDL cholesterol and reducing the amount of small dense LDL.

The LDL particles are produced by the liver, which synthesizes cholesterol to insert into their shells, as well as into their contents. The liver is also responsible for breaking down fructose and converting it into fat (Collison et al., 2009). Fructose is ten times more active than glucose at glycating proteins, and is therefore very dangerous in the blood serum (Seneff1 et al., 2011).

When you eat a lot of fructose (such as the high fructose corn syrup present in lots of processed foods and carbonated beverages), the liver is burdened with getting the fructose out of the blood and converting it to fat, and it therefore can not keep up with cholesterol supply. As I said before, the fats can not be safely transported if there is not enough cholesterol. The liver has to ship out all that fat produced from the fructose, so it produces low quality LDL particles, containing insufficient protective cholesterol. So you end up with a really bad situation where the LDL particles are especially vulnerable to attack, and attacking sugars are readily available to do their damage.

And:
How is it possible that we can suffer cholesterol deficiency? Isn’t this something we can readily make from fat and typically have too much rather than not enough?

It is commonly believed that the body can synthesize all the cholesterol and fats that it needs, but this may not be true, because the liver becomes overburdened with its many tasks when the diet is so skewed. Furthermore, cholesterol synthesis in the liver, a complex 25- to 30-step process, may be relatively suppressed when insulin is present. The liver has to take up excess fructose as quickly as possible to prevent it from damaging serum proteins. After a meal, the liver rapidly processes the fructose to basic building blocks that can later be converted to fat, but it can neither safely store the fat nor release it within newly synthesized lipoproteins. This is the key factor that leads to both fatty liver and liver insulin resistance, early indicators of the metabolic syndrome.

I have noticed some very interesting reaction from my body after i corrected my diet . I cut carbs intake to minimum , and increased good fats. Before i drink about 2-3 cups of coffee in one day. Now i cant drink even one little sip. After just one very small sip i start to shake, my hole body shakes from caffeine . But just a month ago i have no problem with caffeine. I guess my body is not tolerating caffeine anymore. Now i just dont drink coffee and i still feel ok. I just happen suddenly.One morning i just tried coffee and i cant drink it. Even the taste is not good anymore. And its the same coffee that i was drinking for years

I just purchased some milk thistle supplements and I noticed they contain licorice and fennel in addition to the milk thistle.

I recall reading that licorice actually contains a substance that will actually damage the liver...so am I sabotaging myself by taking these?

Why would a supplement contain something which is undoing everything it is designed to do (protect / heal the liver) Perhaps it doesn't contain enough of the licorice to be of significance-but then why put it in there? Are there benefits to this mix of which I am unaware?

I am eating largely pork, beef and chicken-some fish (salmon) and a few veggies-and have completely cut out alchohol so I am working on getting the system back on track.

Any advice would be welcome!

About my diet so far:
For almost three weeks i ate almost zero carbs (turmeric and some
selected herbs only; will add some grean leafy stuff from our garden on spring maybe) and i can say that all that animal fat made me pretty strong, although it was very hard with fruit temptation at the beginning. :evil:
Anyway, i switched pretty well, which is not uncommon for someone at my age with generally fine health.
Being vegan would kill me on long terms, for sure, if i would terrorize my body with poor nutrition any longer than i did( for about 3 years). As i got my blood tests it is confirmed that i am a real meat eater actually( B+). :D
About my weight, i didn't actually loose much, only about 2 pounds; 5'8'', 138 pounds at the moment), so maybe that fat on my waist will dissapear with some more exercise in future, but whatever...
Also, i hope my chronic dry skin and all sort of sensitivities will decrease at least for 70%.

A few days ago i got some organic goat tallow as a gift - one of the most delicious form of fat one to prepare my meal on, yum!

It's a pity to suffer more only because of lack of discipline!
Thank you for all your work! :)

tschai said:
Why would a supplement contain something which is undoing everything it is designed to do (protect / heal the liver) Perhaps it doesn't contain enough of the licorice to be of significance-but then why put it in there? Are there benefits to this mix of which I am unaware?

I don't know about licorice, but fwiw, I use crushed milkthistle seeds for my tea.

So, I'm back on track and already in fat-burning mode. The transition came about pretty quickly, there was only one day, about a week ago, where I felt so weak that I had to remain in bed and rest.

Another thing: I think I overdosed in sodium (might've been the sodium/potassium ratio, though; and/or too much salt in relation to water intake), because on Saturday I woke up with swollen lids and a strong feeling of dehydration. On Sunday it was even worse: I was so thirsty, it seemed that no matter how much I drank it wouldn't be enough - very unpleasant! So I left out all salt for the entire weekend and as of today the symptoms have disappeared.

Enaid said:
tschai said:

I don't know about licorice, but fwiw, I use crushed milkthistle seeds for my tea.

So, I'm back on track and already in fat-burning mode. The transition came about pretty quickly, there was only one day, about a week ago, where I felt so weak that I had to remain in bed and rest.

Another thing: I think I overdosed in sodium (might've been the sodium/potassium ratio, though; and/or too much salt in relation to water intake), because on Saturday I woke up with swollen lids and a strong feeling of dehydration. On Sunday it was even worse: I was so thirsty, it seemed that no matter how much I drank it wouldn't be enough - very unpleasant! So I left out all salt for the entire weekend and as of today the symptoms have disappeared.

I don't know how milk thistle as a tea would taste-I drink lots of green tea now. Perhaps the licorice and fennel were added as aromatics-the caps have a lovely fennel / anise scent-some herbals are quite unpleasant (valerian comes to mind-although I really don't mind too much it's earthy pungent aroma) Fennel is supposed to be an aid to digestion so perhaps not too bad. Maybe someone else will weigh in with other information.

Too much salt can certainly have a dehydrating effect-and can also cause diarrahea which will aggrevate the situation, so you have to be careful with salty stuff- but salt is essential (good salt like sea salt) to our health. I am going to try Himalayan salt-it is supposed to be real good, and so is Celtic sea salt. I priced some on line and it is quite reasonable.

Thanks for your reply!

tschai said:
I don't know how milk thistle as a tea would taste-I drink lots of green tea now. Perhaps the licorice and fennel were added as aromatics-the caps have a lovely fennel / anise scent-some herbals are quite unpleasant (valerian comes to mind-although I really don't mind too much it's earthy pungent aroma) Fennel is supposed to be an aid to digestion so perhaps not too bad. Maybe someone else will weigh in with other information.

Found something on the dangers of licorice, and most outstanding is that it seems to lower potassium levels by mimicing aldosterone - not good, considering that we need to take care of potassium levels.

Lowered Potassium Levels

One of the dangers of black licorice is the potential for lowering the body's potassium levels, the Linus Pauling Institute warns. Black licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which mimics the natural hormone aldosterone. Aldosterone signals the kidney to excrete potassium. The Institute notes that by introducing the mimicking power of black licorice, your body will increase the amount of potassium it pushes out of the body. Potassium is essential for normal bodily function at the cellular level, and it's considered to be one of the most critical nutrients for good health.
Raw Adrenal - 60 Caps UK Stocks - From £13.25 per Tub Despatched within 24 Hours BigVits.co.uk
Sponsored Links

High Blood Pressure

One of the more serious dangers of black licorice is high blood pressure. The presence of glycyrrhizin in the licorice and its ability to mimic aldosterone can lead to a condition known as hypoaldosteronism, which can lead to high blood pressure. Nevertheless, not all strains of licorice root contain glycyrrhizin. In addition, the University of Maryland Medical Center notes that hypoaldosteronism only occurs when high doses of the root are consumed. However, individuals with a history of heart- or blood pressure problems will want to be cautious about using black licorice due to the potential negative effects on their cardiovascular health.

Allergic Reaction

Some people are allergic to black licorice. According to eMedTV, the signs of an allergic reaction to black licorice include skin irritations such as rash, itching or hives, swelling of the mouth or throat, and wheezing or other difficulties breathing. This dangerous side effect of black licorice can be reversed if it is caught promptly. However, eMedTV notes that those who are allergic to licorice will want to avoid using it in the future or switch to a licorice product made from deglycyrrhizinated licorice, as this is less likely to cause an allergic response.

References
EMedTV: Licorice Side Effects
Linus Pauling Institute: Micronutrient Information Center: Potassium
University of Maryland Medical Center: Licorice

_http://www.livestrong.com/article/307695-dangers-of-black-licorice/#ixzz1oHF5WV00

As for the taste of milkthistle seeds, well, there isn't much taste to it. I also mostly mix it with ginger, and sometimes turmeric. Apart from that, I must admit, I'm not so much concerned with the taste of these things, as their function in helping to heal cancels out all taste issues - for me at least. :D

tschai said:
Too much salt can certainly have a dehydrating effect-and can also cause diarrahea which will aggrevate the situation, so you have to be careful with salty stuff- but salt is essential (good salt like sea salt) to our health. I am going to try Himalayan salt-it is supposed to be real good, and so is Celtic sea salt. I priced some on line and it is quite reasonable.

Yep, I'm also using Himalaya salt. A few years back I started doing an Himalaya salt regimen after I'd read about its beneficial effects somewhere. I didn't inform myself properly and ended up overdosing, and the symptoms were extremely bad, much worse than this time.

tschai said:
Hey tschai,

I was mainly taking it in tea form until I got some pills yesterday. I agree with Enaid that it doesn't taste much alike anything in particular. I find it to be effective but the pills are as well and I keep both on hand so I don't run out.

truth seeker said:
tschai said:
Hey tschai,

I was mainly taking it in tea form until I got some pills yesterday. I agree with Enaid that it doesn't taste much alike anything in particular. I find it to be effective but the pills are as well and I keep both on hand so I don't run out.

O.K. I may end up taking the darn things back-it was a two fer sale-buy one get one free type deal- I already opened one, hopefully they will take the un-opened one back. I will get some without the other "junk" in it. Gotta read bottles more closely!

Thanks!

tschai said:
truth seeker said:
tschai said:
Hey tschai,

O.K. I may end up taking the darn things back-it was a two fer sale-buy one get one free type deal- I already opened one, hopefully they will take the un-opened one back. I will get some without the other "junk" in it. Gotta read bottles more closely!

Thanks!
Well I wasn't suggesting you return them but rather just relaying my own experiences so perhaps hold off a bit (a day or so) and see if anyone else has more to add before making a decision? :)

Laura said:
Check out fludan.com

If this was meant for me, I looked at all their products but couldn't find anything I could relate to the low dose hydrocortisone discussion.

gaman said:
Laura said:
Check out fludan.com

If this was meant for me, I looked at all their products but couldn't find anything I could relate to the low dose hydrocortisone discussion.
If you put hydrocortisone into the search bar on the left, you will find results.

What We Learned From The Accelerated Aging of Astronauts
https://www.sott.net/articles/show/242551-What-We-Learned-From-The-Accelerated-Aging-of-Astronauts

Take-home message: don't forget magnesium supplementation ...

Back
Top Bottom