"Life Without Bread"

I too have noticed increased sensitivity to fat and having to eat smaller portions in general, with the spring. Bone broth makes sense to me as an alternative, though. I'd like to increase my seafood, but with the radiation in the Pacific and the Gulf Oil and dispersants in the Atlantic, I have a lot of reservations on the seafood front...

I'm still eating large quantities of fat, although it's only butter. I find I'm not interested in lard, tallow or ghee or anything else at present. I have found myself eating more eggs though. In the winter I could barely tolerate eggs, I felt that they clogged up my system, for want of a better description. But now that spring is definitely in the air, I can eat two fried eggs and not notice any odd sensations. I don't have any desire for carbs in any form either at present, although that may change as we move into summer, of course.

I haven't noticed much about fat sensitivity. Although I did have chicken the other day and made bone broth from the bones and drank it over a couple of days -- but I did add a bit of butter to my own cup. Also still eating at least two eggs sunny side up every morning and varying the amount of bacon or left over pork burgers (but still with lots of additional butter). Also still have the occasional additional eggs soft boiled later in the day. Red caviar somewhat consistently. Occasional snack of cashews, and small salad like sides like lettuce and/or arugula with dinner. I AM having less buttered tea, though.

I might experiment with the suggestions here. I don't eat anything that is imported (except things like macadamia nuts in the past), so being land locked, any "sea food" is from the really large lake, other lakes, or the rivers (try to avoid farmed fish). I haven't eaten any of my favorite sea food like shrimp, salmon, etc. in years. And like anart mentioned, it's getting dicier all the time with sea food which I can buy frozen imports at most of the supermarkets here. But as I said, I try to avoid that and frozen shrimp is INSANELY expensive.

One question: can you clarify what you meant by the following, Laura?

...In fact, our ancestors would probably be respecting the Spring cycle of birth and only selectively eating leaner meats and fish and possibly some green things like tender shoots of certain plants or roots?...

Oh, I forgot! The last batch of cracklings from rendering lard hasn't finished yet and is sitting in the fridge, so that's something somewhat different....

What I meant was that one would hope that they wouldn't be killing off animals that were either babies or mothers caring for babies.

SeekinTruth said:
I haven't noticed much about fat sensitivity. Although I did have chicken the other day and made bone broth from the bones and drank it over a couple of days -- but I did add a bit of butter to my own cup. Also still eating at least two eggs sunny side up every morning and varying the amount of bacon or left over pork burgers (but still with lots of additional butter). Also still have the occasional additional eggs soft boiled later in the day. Red caviar somewhat consistently. Occasional snack of cashews, and small salad like sides like lettuce and/or arugula with dinner. I AM having less buttered tea, though.

I might experiment with the suggestions here. I don't eat anything that is imported (except things like macadamia nuts in the past), so being land locked, any "sea food" is from the really large lake, other lakes, or the rivers (try to avoid farmed fish). I haven't eaten any of my favorite sea food like shrimp, salmon, etc. in years. And like anart mentioned, it's getting dicier all the time with sea food which I can buy frozen imports at most of the supermarkets here. But as I said, I try to avoid that and frozen shrimp is INSANELY expensive.

Not sure about fat sensitivity myself but I have noticed that when I do eat chicken with butter lately, I did not crave for the rest of the day like previously (I had to eat chicken since my mother cooked it, but I added only butter instead of any seasonings that she was suggesting - she and my stepfather would have other foods with it: veggies and breads while I just had only the chicken - whenever she doesn't cook meat, I cooked my own - beef or pork, dinner-wise).

No eggs since December. I had salmon a week ago, I think, which was fine but I do know that I had a reaction to veal (although I do not know where it was imported from). I can eat salmon and shrimp okay (but not those kind of shrimp with spices on them).

Laura said:
What I meant was that one would hope that they wouldn't be killing off animals that were either babies or mothers caring for babies.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, I know what you mean now. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

I've still been eating sardines most days of the week for a light dinner. They come from either Canada or Poland.

But the recent mentions of the toxic Atlantic have me thinking of some lobster I had a few weeks ago. It was three meals of about three tails each. I had a little inflammatory sensitivity on the second and third. I thought it could have been the lots of butter I used as well.

But these look like Maine lobster, with the mostly brown color and the patches of orange. There is also spiny lobster, which comes from the Florida and Gulf of Mexico region! Though perhaps at this point, it doesn't matter where in the Atlantic it comes from.

Gertrudes said:
I thought I had this heat issue controlled until last night. I woke up at 4am feeling very nauseous again, and the only thing that brought relief was to lie down on the floor almost naked until my body cooled down enough for me to start shivering. Once cold, the nausea was gone.

As a kid I'd regularly have this happen each year at the height of summer at school. I also couldn't sleep if I was too hot (I'd start to hallucinate too). Had forgotton about all that.

A quick google suggests that lack of any of the following could cause heat sensitivity - testosterone, vitamin D, B-12, iodine, potassium.

I remember you posted some time ago that hot fat also made you nauseous, and you had to eat it cold. So it's likely the same mechanism/problem.

Do you notice any localised sensation/heat before or during the nausea? It was always my face/back of the neck that seems to be 'hottest' before nausea. A cold/wet flannel on my forhead or back of the neck always helped a lot.

One last thought, could there be a relation to past emotional issues? That is a Pavlovian/emotional connection to 'nausea' and (localised) 'heat'? Bit of a long shot the last one.

My tolerance to fat hasn't decreased, although I don't think that it's hot enough yet for me to feel it. Since being a child I have always needed less meat in the Summer, often even just choosing to eat fruit or vegetables. I have only experienced one Summer since being on the paleo diet, and also noticed a greatly decreased need for fat, with a favoring for raw vegetables such as cucumbers and lettuce.
I expect it to be similar this year but only as we approach summertime.

Prodigal Son said:
From a recent reading of some of Kruge's work, he seems to be an advocate of seafood - from our ancestral background (aquatic ape?).

I've come across that as well, also in Marks' daily apple blog (I think that it was there) and since having read on the aquatic ape theory I have been seriously pondering increasing my fish and seafood intake. I haven't yet done it because my freezer is completely full of meat right now.
I do love seafood although I have reacted to some of it in the past, so am curious to see what happens now.
Another big concern was raised by anart in what concerns pollution....

RedFox said:
As a kid I'd regularly have this happen each year at the height of summer at school. I also couldn't sleep if I was too hot (I'd start to hallucinate too). Had forgotton about all that.

Interesting RedFox.
Also, I don't know how you did it with your google searches though, seriously, I've already spent some time searching for heat sensitivity related data and found nothing of relevance. I guess it is the terminology I use for searches, I definitely need to become a bit more proficient.

Redfox said:
I remember you posted some time ago that hot fat also made you nauseous, and you had to eat it cold. So it's likely the same mechanism/problem.

True. Fortunately I seem to be digesting hot fat better lately.

RedFox said:
Do you notice any localised sensation/heat before or during the nausea? It was always my face/back of the neck that seems to be 'hottest' before nausea. A cold/wet flannel on my forhead or back of the neck always helped a lot.

It is my whole torso and also face, but torso mainly.

RedFox said:
One last thought, could there be a relation to past emotional issues? That is a Pavlovian/emotional connection to 'nausea' and (localised) 'heat'? Bit of a long shot the last one.

I don't think that it is a long shot at all RedFox. In fact, I am convinced that a great deal of my digestive issues are emotionally related, and my partner seems to share the same thoughts from what he has observed and discussed with me.
Whenever I am upset I get this persistent image of myself vomiting my "upsetness". Mentally and emotionally a lot of what I have discussed in other threads has suffered a tremendous positive change. With the diet my body is in the best state I ever recall feeling it in, however, it does give me some issues here and there, and I don't find it coincidental, at all, that all my issues seem to be digestion related. A bit more then a year ago within a period of great emotional distress I even managed to accidentally burn my esophagus, which is the organ at the beginning of one's digestive process. Added: The burn left me with a permanent, slight constriction, and although I tend to think there is a meaning to this, I'm not yet sure of which.

A kinesiologist I recently saw also had a similar opinion, in that my digestive and hormonal issues were emotionally related.

Sorry for this diverson, sometimes I'm unsure of whether to post my digestive stuff, at least in this thread, because I really feel that it isn't just purely a physical thing and I don't want to waste people's time looking for solutions in the wrong place. What really keeps me posting about this in this thread is that as I change what I do physically through the advice I get, I notice progression. So in the end, I still think that it is much worth posting.

Edit: edited sentences for clarity and added a few words.

Gertrudes said:
I don't know how you did it with your google searches though

I searched for 'deficiency heat intolerance' :)

Gertrudes said:
It is my whole torso and also face, but torso mainly.

I know you've mentioned feeling the cold, but do you suffer from extremely cold hands/feet and legs/arms in winter?? I'm wondering if your body is keeping the blood circulating at the core (torso) and not out to the limbs?
Are your hands/feet hot or cold when you experience nausea? There may be a deficiency/imbalance that causes this (thyroid?)

Gertrudes said:
I am convinced that a great deal of my digestive issues are emotionally related, and my partner seems to share the same thoughts from what he has observed and discussed with me.

I once nearly passed out (went white as a sheet) on a fair ground ride due to strongly (emotionally/intellectually) not wanting to be there. As soon as I changed my point of view (because of a particular song starting to play), I felt better (and my blood started circulating again). So its possible that the emotional aspect is keeping your blood circulation in the core perhaps? Fight or flight mode perhaps.

If it fits, perhaps try pipe breathing when feeling nauseous? Or next time doing POTS focus on your hands and feet and allowing them to get hot (relax into them, you may even feel them pulse with blood flow). fwiw

RedFox said:
I searched for 'deficiency heat intolerance' :)

Doh :rolleyes:

RedFox said:
I know you've mentioned feeling the cold, but do you suffer from extremely cold hands/feet and legs/arms in winter?? I'm wondering if your body is keeping the blood circulating at the core (torso) and not out to the limbs?
Are your hands/feet hot or cold when you experience nausea? There may be a deficiency/imbalance that causes this (thyroid?)

Very much so. My hands and feet are always cold in the Winter because all resources seem to be used to keep the core warm. I have tested for thyroid via blood tests and nothing was accused. However, these tests can be only an indicator and won't necessarily accuse a dysfunction. I don't think that the GP will want to look any further then the numbers already given though.
Having read some of Doctor Kruses' writtings lately, I have also considered investing in a cortisol saliva test and try to find out whether I am leptin resistant, something that given my past history could be a possibility. There is also the omega 3 to 6 ratio test, apparently an abnormality can lead to inability to stand cold, which is my case.

RedFox said:
I once nearly passed out (went white as a sheet) on a fair ground ride due to strongly (emotionally/intellectually) not wanting to be there. As soon as I changed my point of view (because of a particular song starting to play), I felt better (and my blood started circulating again). So its possible that the emotional aspect is keeping your blood circulation in the core perhaps? Fight or flight mode perhaps.

If it fits, perhaps try pipe breathing when feeling nauseous? Or next time doing POTS focus on your hands and feet and allowing them to get hot (relax into them, you may even feel them pulse with blood flow). fwiw

Very interesting points. Regarding a change in perspective, I have been realizing lately how I have been stuck in quite obvious, I have to say, thought loops for a long, long time. It is really like chewing the same perspective many times without digesting it, so that may be a cause.
I am also still building up my resources when dealing with difficult situations. Whilst in the past I used to engage in addictive behavior, now I don't, and usually tend to act externally in a way that is acceptable, at least in how I perceive it, but sometimes my body seems to do its own thing and reflect my past behavior. It's like my body hasn't yet caught up with my conscious decisions (system one being oblivious/disconnected from system 2?).
I think that that is in a way, expectable, but also a sign that I have to keep working on it.

Changing my perspective seems to me spot on. I'll work on that, and use breathing and/or POTS to help the transition.

Very good insights being discussed, RedFox and Gertrudes. I just wanted to add that very often (if not almost always) emotional and physical issues are intertwined in ways that can't be completely separated. But if you keep working on them, whatever has beneficial effects / progress / healing in one will tend to open more possibilities for healing in the other, or so I think.

Prodigal Son said:
Laura said:
I was thinking about this last night and trying to imagine myself in the ancestral past when Spring is gersprungin'... what would I be eating? What would all our ancestors be eating in the Spring?

Obviously not meats with a lot of fat on them because all the critters had used up their fat over the winter. In fact, our ancestors would probably be respecting the Spring cycle of birth and only selectively eating leaner meats and fish and possibly some green things like tender shoots of certain plants or roots?

So maybe we evolved to eat that way when the light begins to lengthen?

I don't know exactly what we have available to us today that would fill that purpose, (except for seafood) but maybe veal is one item?
From a recent reading of some of Kruse's work, he seems to be an advocate of seafood - from our ancestral background (aquatic ape?).

Yeah, his research indicates that cold temperatures trigger certain receptors that makes us crave fat through the vagus nerve. With warmer temperatures, our craving of fat goes down, but sea food is still a good option. It is very unfortunately that it is heavily polluted with mercury, petrochemicals, etc.

FWIW, here is a post that synthesizes Dr. Kruse's research on fat craving related to cold temperatures:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg329995.html#msg329995

Perhaps IF our ancestors lived for the most part on an Ice Age, they still craved meats and fats from animals but respected their reproductive cycles by eating more seafood during certain parts of the year?

For summer I think I would crave butter, fish, salads and lean meats, but much less fatty pork chops. The other option, is to get thermoadapted to cold temperatures and then the fat craving will continue...

Thanks for the refresher course, Psyche. :) These issues are really interesting as we're learning more and more about them and all the connections.

Back
Top Bottom