"Life Without Bread"

herondancer said:
Hi Serg,

If you read this thread all the way through from the beginning you will find most of your questions answered. It's long, yes, but well worth the adventure. Remember too, the search engine is your friend. Many members have been at this for years now, so the chances that something you are curious about has already been discussed is high. The knowledge you gather for yourself is the most valuable.

Happy exploring! :)

Hi herondancer, I understand. I'll try not to ask questions that have been already answered. Thanks.

Serg said:
But nearly 20mg per 100g, I think, can’t be marked as gluten-free.

True that. It's actually insane that this is being done, a further line of misleading people, and those not well-informed are being harmed by consuming the officially declarated 'gluten-free' products. There's also a lot on this in Primal Body, Primal Mind, where Gedgaudas also gets into cross-contamination as well as gluten in cosmetic products like shampoo. The rabbit hole theme applies here as well.

As herondancer said, happy exploring. :boat:

A few days after Gertrudes posted about her experience during the night, waking up nauseous and needing to cool off, I had that same experience. I would wake up in the middle of the night, my body would feel quite hot, and I felt nauseous as well, and so what I did was drink water and cool off by taking the sheets off of me. I had this two nights in a row, and then it didn't happen anymore. Though, the next couple of nights, I had experienced some discomfort during the night, waking up on/off. I was thinking that my room wasn't dark enough (and it isn't and I will be doing something about it), but usually that doesn't bother me much, so this was strange.

Then I remembered my observations during the nights I woke up nauseous etc.; I noticed that something in my stomach was digesting, and recalled that before bedtime I would have a meal around 8 PM with protein and fats. I think that somehow, digesting during the night was one of the reasons I heated up. I don't know. Also, regarding the nights of waking up on/off, I had a meal as well around 8 PM before bedtime (10 PM), though they were of a smaller size.

Yesterday however I decided to have a small meal at 6 PM and didn't eat anything after that, just drinking water. I slept very well the night that followed and didn't wake up at all during the night. Also didn't heat up.

So, I'm starting to get the idea of not eating too much in the evening, and I won't do that anymore and will keep an eye as things continue. Not sure if the same applies to you though Gertrudes!

I have something similar Oxajil. It happened few times, and it was before I start changing my diet. I didn't remember if I feel nauseous, but I woke and my body felt really hot. Maybe it could be because of some dreams, but I almost don't remember dreams at all. I really need my room t be dark enough, and I need to sleep 9, better 10-11 hours to get up without the lack of energy for all day long. I would like to sleep more less. Also tobacco in the morning helps me to wake up.
But I used to have supper late. Usually at 10-11p.m., sometimes even at 12p.m. I'll try to change it little by little and see how it works

Eating late could certainly be causing these nauseous and heating up situations some of you are experiencing while asleep.

It's been stated that your last meal should be 4 - 5 hours before you go to bed. That way you can be sure that you meal will be digested before you go to bed.

Oxajil said:
So, I'm starting to get the idea of not eating too much in the evening, and I won't do that anymore and will keep an eye as things continue. Not sure if the same applies to you though Gertrudes!

Yes, thanks for mentioning that Oxajil, and I'm glad you found a possible solution to prevent you from experiencing further episodes of nausea, as they're definitely not pleasant.
I have also been eating earlier and earlier precisely for that reason. Whilst before I could eat right before going to bed, that's not viable now (as well as far from ideal from a health enhancing perspective), and I think that is because protein and fat simply take longer to digest.
It's a bit tricky for me to change my meal times due to my working schedule though, which doesn't always enable me to eat several hours before going to bed.

On a different note, after years of abstinence and the odd exception here and there, I have started eating butter again with no visible reactions (hooray!). Boy, am I loving it! It is sooo tasty :D

Also, just came from my GP who was shocked to see my cholesterol levels (they're pretty high). I was expecting that and politely declined when he suggested statins.
I have, however, been reading a lot on cholesterol, and considering that all my family on my mothers' side has high cholesterol, I'm putting the hypothesis of having familial hypercholesterolemia, a condition where cholesterol is chronically high. So far, the explanation for the condition seems to be that a defect on the LDL receptor makes cells unable to absorb LDL from the bloodstream causing a "traffic jam", and leaving LDL particles much more prone to oxidation - oxidation being the real problem with cholesterol.

NHS seems unwilling to do a test on patients' arteries conditions or the state of LDL particles, so I can't tell wether my LDL is fine or not. Out of precaution, however, I will decrease my fish oil consumption since it is highly susceptible to oxidation. I may also take curcumin, which apparently helps sensitizing LDL receptors. I'll do it for a few months and then check my cholesterol again.

Oxajil said:
A few days after Gertrudes posted about her experience during the night, waking up nauseous and needing to cool off, I had that same experience. I would wake up in the middle of the night, my body would feel quite hot, and I felt nauseous as well, and so what I did was drink water and cool off by taking the sheets off of me. I had this two nights in a row, and then it didn't happen anymore. Though, the next couple of nights, I had experienced some discomfort during the night, waking up on/off. I was thinking that my room wasn't dark enough (and it isn't and I will be doing something about it), but usually that doesn't bother me much, so this was strange.

Then I remembered my observations during the nights I woke up nauseous etc.; I noticed that something in my stomach was digesting, and recalled that before bedtime I would have a meal around 8 PM with protein and fats. I think that somehow, digesting during the night was one of the reasons I heated up. I don't know. Also, regarding the nights of waking up on/off, I had a meal as well around 8 PM before bedtime (10 PM), though they were of a smaller size.

Yesterday however I decided to have a small meal at 6 PM and didn't eat anything after that, just drinking water. I slept very well the night that followed and didn't wake up at all during the night. Also didn't heat up.

I read that becoming nauseous can be a symptom of blood sugar fluctuation, it hapens to me some times when I haven't eaten in a while. I also get hot during the night (and day) after I eat pork and red meat. I do think it's from my body working "overtime" to try and digest it. :(

Gertrudes said:
Also, just came from my GP who was shocked to see my cholesterol levels (they're pretty high). I was expecting that and politely declined when he suggested statins.
I have, however, been reading a lot on cholesterol, and considering that all my family on my mothers' side has high cholesterol, I'm putting the hypothesis of having familial hypercholesterolemia, a condition where cholesterol is chronically high. So far, the explanation for the condition seems to be that a defect on the LDL receptor makes cells unable to absorb LDL from the bloodstream causing a "traffic jam", and leaving LDL particles much more prone to oxidation - oxidation being the real problem with cholesterol.

NHS seems unwilling to do a test on patients' arteries conditions or the state of LDL particles, so I can't tell wether my LDL is fine or not. Out of precaution, however, I will decrease my fish oil consumption since it is highly susceptible to oxidation. I may also take curcumin, which apparently helps sensitizing LDL receptors. I'll do it for a few months and then check my cholesterol again.

To avoid LDL oxidation, you might want to load up on some fat-soluble antioxidants. Since vitamin E all seems to be derived from soy, I've been taking astaxanthin regularly for a couple of months as a means of protecting high omega-3 doses from oxidation. It's a fat soluble antioxidant carotonoid (related to betacarotene).

From this page - http://parrynaturalastaxanthin.in/role.html
"Astaxanthin has been shown in both in vitro experiments and in a study with human subjects to be effective for the prevention of the oxidation of low-densit lipoprotein (Miki et al. 1998)."

and

"Astaxanthin reduced measurements of LDL oxidation in humans in contrast to other antioxidants, such as vitamin E and lutein, compared with controls.
In a separate study conducted by mason and colleagues, Astaxanthin eliminated the lipid peroxidation caused by rofecoxib in cellular membrane models.
The ability of Astaxanthin to protect LDL from oxidation was further supported by ex vivo analysis of LDL particles from humans fed Astaxanthin.
In this study, Astaxanthin conferred increased resistance to copper-induced oxidation seen as increased LDL oxidation."

Mrs. Peel said:
I read that becoming nauseous can be a symptom of blood sugar fluctuation, it hapens to me some times when I haven't eaten in a while. I also get hot during the night (and day) after I eat pork and red meat. I do think it's from my body working "overtime" to try and digest it. :(

Yeah, I think it's less hard on the digestion to eat light for dinner - ham or fish, maybe an egg, a bit of salad, that sort of things.

Adaryn said:
Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, I think it's less hard on the digestion to eat light for dinner - ham or fish, maybe an egg, a bit of salad, that sort of things.

I was just thinking about it. :) Today I had my dinner nearly at 9.30 pm and soon I will go to sleep. It is already more than 3 hours passed.
I had 5 fried eggs for a dinner. I'll try to allways have a dinner 4 hours before I go to sleep.

dugdeep said:
To avoid LDL oxidation, you might want to load up on some fat-soluble antioxidants. Since vitamin E all seems to be derived from soy, I've been taking astaxanthin regularly for a couple of months as a means of protecting high omega-3 doses from oxidation. It's a fat soluble antioxidant carotonoid (related to betacarotene).

Very handy piece of information, thanks dugdeep. I had actually been toying around with the idea of taking vitamin E, so your post comes at the right time.

Any thoughts on co-enzyme Q10 as another means to prevent oxidation?

Gertrudes said:
dugdeep said:

Very handy piece of information, thanks dugdeep. I had actually been toying around with the idea of taking vitamin E, so your post comes at the right time.

Any thoughts on co-enzyme Q10 as another means to prevent oxidation?

Yup, CoQ10 is another good one! Try to find the superior "ubiquinol" form rather than the "ubiquinone" form, though. Ubiquinol is the antioxidant form (reduced), whereas ubiquinone is oxidized, and needs to have the body convert it to ubiquinol before it can act as an antioxidant. Ubiquinol is more expensive, but it's apparently about 6 times more effective!

dugdeep said:
Yup, CoQ10 is another good one! Try to find the superior "ubiquinol" form rather than the "ubiquinone" form, though. Ubiquinol is the antioxidant form (reduced), whereas ubiquinone is oxidized, and needs to have the body convert it to ubiquinol before it can act as an antioxidant. Ubiquinol is more expensive, but it's apparently about 6 times more effective!

Thanks!

dugdeep said:

A cheaper alternative is eating organic outdoor bread animal heart (liver and kidneys are good too). The heart also contains l-carnatine in large quantities, so not only will it provide antioxidants it will help you metabolise fat. Not to mention being full of omega-3's and other vitamins.
I have sliced mutton heart fried with bacon for breakfast :) Going to get a meat grinder and make heart burgers by combining it with organic beef fat :D

RedFox said:
dugdeep said:

A cheaper alternative is eating organic outdoor bread animal heart (liver and kidneys are good too). The heart also contains l-carnatine in large quantities, so not only will it provide antioxidants it will help you metabolise fat. Not to mention being full of omega-3's and other vitamins.
I have sliced mutton heart fried with bacon for breakfast :) Going to get a meat grinder and make heart burgers by combining it with organic beef fat :D

Thanks RedFox. I've had beef heart sitting in my freezer for a couple of months now and haven't really known what to do with it. I've been working up the nerve to use it for something. Maybe sliced beef heart with bacon is the way to go :)

Back
Top Bottom