"Life Without Bread"

Gertrudes said:
SeekinTruth said:
How does the free range lard (or other fat) compare to the free range cuts of meat, especially more popular/expensive cuts per kilogram? Isn't it still much cheaper than meat from the same animal?

It is cheaper, but not as much as I would have expected. It is about 80% cheaper then minced meat. At least for most quotes I got, but Prodigal Son seems to get it for the same price as minced meat.
The last butcher I called told me that pork fat is, at the moment, in high demand from restaurants.

I think you mean 80% of the price as minced meat, right? Yeah, that and the same price as minced meat is pretty expensive these days, when seemingly nobody wants fat. (Although, I was under the impression that in the U.K. more animal fats are consumed.) I guess in addition to the demand by restaurants, it's also that there is less fat on the animals mentioned by Prodigal Son, so the supply is limited as well. And needed for sausages, etc.

SeekinTruth said:
I think you mean 80% of the price as minced meat, right?

Yes, thank you for spotting that. It would be nice to have it 80% cheaper though :D

SeekinTruth said:
I guess in addition to the demand by restaurants, it's also that there is less fat on the animals mentioned by Prodigal Son, so the supply is limited as well. And needed for sausages, etc.

Yes, the supermarket meat for example is scarily lean. The bacon has absolutely no fat. The free range meat we order from farms, however, is much fattier and both the bacon and pork shops have a nice thick fatty layer.

Cutting out Gluten is the hardest thing ive ever done. Stopped dairy over a month ago, but i keep needing a fix of toast. I get a real downer when i dont eat it. As soon as i have a slice of toast, everything is ok.
Just wanted to share this in case anyone else was finding it hard.
Done 3 days now without any, i hope it gets a bit easier as time goes on, which i imagine it will do.

melatonin said:
Cutting out Gluten is the hardest thing ive ever done. Stopped dairy over a month ago, but i keep needing a fix of toast. I get a real downer when i dont eat it. As soon as i have a slice of toast, everything is ok.
Done 3 days now without any, i hope it gets a bit easier as time goes on, which i imagine it will do.

Most of us transitioned with plenty of buckwheat blinis available to ease the passage.

Coconut flour pancakes are also quite handy. One might be discouraged by the high amount of fiber in the flour, but the necessary amount to make them pancakey is really small.

melatonin said:
Hey melatonin, have you checked out the Leptin Reset protocol? It basically recommends a very heavy breakfast 30 mins after waking, at around 50g protein plus a good amount of fat to get one satiated enough to be able to withstand food cravings for the day. And no snacking between meals. I've tried it and it worked quite well for me, although I've reduced the protein since I don't need to eat much any more. I don't know how well it works in counteracting the effects of wheat opiates but it would be worth a try, if you have not yet. I personally was mostly a sugar fiend, wheat didn't have a vice grip on me.

Yeah, buckwheat blinis / pancakes will definitely help the transition. I haven't tried coconut flour, but it might be worth looking into if you're not sensitive to it and it makes the buckwheat stick together better. After a month or two, you can eliminate the buckwheat too.

Having a giant breakfast with a lot of fat and (meat) protein is a great way to get over cravings and not get hungry all day. Plus it has great health benefits and gets you the nutrition you need first thing in the day. Try these and see if it helps, melatonin.

beetlemaniac said:
melatonin said:
Hey melatonin, have you checked out the Leptin Reset protocol? It basically recommends a very heavy breakfast 30 mins after waking, at around 50g protein plus a good amount of fat to get one satiated enough to be able to withstand food cravings for the day. And no snacking between meals. I've tried it and it worked quite well for me, although I've reduced the protein since I don't need to eat much any more. I don't know how well it works in counteracting the effects of wheat opiates but it would be worth a try, if you have not yet. I personally was mostly a sugar fiend, wheat didn't have a vice grip on me.
Note: That would be within 30 minutes, ie. optimally that time at the (very) latest.

As suggested in the protocol, getting hungry before lunch is a sure sign that the breakfast wasn't big enough - so it should be increased in size until there is no trace of hunger before lunchtime. And if there is no hunger at lunch, that's fine, though not necessary.

Thanks for the reminder about Buckwheat. Ive just seen that local supermarket sells the Buckwheat muesli, that should help (With almond milk) to calm down the need for carbs for a month or two. blinis's sound good, but i dont have too much energy for perperation of meals atm.

melatonin said:
Thanks for the reminder about Buckwheat. Ive just seen that local supermarket sells the Buckwheat muesli, that should help (With almond milk) to calm down the need for carbs for a month or two. blinis's sound good, but i dont have too much energy for perperation of meals atm.
\
No, No, NO!

Ditch the almond milk - it is carby and evil. NO GRAINS FOR BREAKFAST.

Best to stick with just eating a big, meaty breakfast, maybe with several eggs. The blinis should only be used if you are dying for a bit of bread.

what still amazes me is that I can eat almost only fatty meat the whole day for months now and there was not one single day where I got tired of it or was not hungry for it !

Pashalis said:
what still amazes me is that I can eat almost only fatty meat the whole day for months now and there was not one single day where I got tired of it or was not hungry for it !

When I think of all the foods I used to inhale and now just eating meats, fats and some veggies I really can't believe it myself. And your absolutely right, not once have I ever been tired of it. I actually can't wait for breakfast sometimes when I'm going to bed! :lol:

:D Same here and that amaze me a lot. I'm now 3 weeks in weekly mansion, and alone :evil: Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!!! hip hip hurray!

Laura said:
melatonin said:
\
No, No, NO!

Ditch the almond milk - it is carby and evil. NO GRAINS FOR BREAKFAST.

Best to stick with just eating a big, meaty breakfast, maybe with several eggs. The blinis should only be used if you are dying for a bit of bread.

Ok, cheerz for the heads-up. Buckwheat is a last resort then.

melatonin said:
Ok, cheerz for the heads-up. Buckwheat is a last resort then.
I think it might be withdrawal symptoms so if you can stick it out cold turkey for a week or 2, just have fatty meats and a little bit of veggies, the cravings should go away. It helps to remove yourself from physically seeing or smelling the "bad stuff" too, to not remind yourself of it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom