"Life Without Bread"

Oxajil said:
Good to hear melatonin! It's interesting that you mentioned 'zombie', a few days ago I came across this site _http://www.13.waisays.com/zombie.htm:
<snip>

Great article, Oxajil! Condensed and clear, I shared it on FB. Thanks for sharing!

[quote author=Foxx]
Great article, Oxajil! Condensed and clear, I shared it on FB. Thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

Much agreed Oxajil, will share too.

I am writing to say that I am beginning the diet again after having stopped due to total exhaustion. I learned last week when I got the results of the blood tests that the cause is low thyroid and adrenal functions. I was given some medication and supplements which are working quite well. I feel better than I have for a long, long, time.

I also really want to say how much I appreciate what I'm learning on this thread. I knew, but my doctor did not know, that cruciferous vegetables interfere with thyroid function. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and juiced and drank a glass of liquified cauliflower and broccoli. What a mistake! I had the worst case of brain fog ever. I couldn't remember anything, and I could barely walk hermy legs felt like lead.

In his defense, he is treating me for cancer in a roundabout way by strengthening the thyroid. There seems to be a lot of literature about the benefits of eating cruciferous vegetables to prevent cancer. This may be so, but they're hell on the thyroid.

If I hadn't already known about the effects this class of vegetables have on the thyroid, I probably would have continued juicing thinking that it would get better over time.

I hope I can do better on the diet this time around. The thyroid extract is really, really helping.

What are goitrogens and in which foods are they found?

Introduction

Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens get their name from the term "goiter," which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If the thyroid gland is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. "Goitrogens," like circumstances that cause goiter, cause difficulty for the thyroid in making its hormone.

Foods that contain goitrogens
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

There are two general categories of foods that have been associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production in humans: soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables. In addition, there are a few other foods not included in these categories - such as peaches, strawberries and millet - that also contain goitrogens. The table below shows a list of some foods that contain goitrogens.

Soybean-related foods

Included in the category of soybean-related foods are soybeans themselves as well as soy extracts, and foods made from soy, including tofu and tempeh. While soy foods share many common ingredients, it is the isoflavones in soy that have been associated with decreased thyroid hormone output. Isoflavones are naturally-occurring substances that belong to the flavonoid family of nutrients. Flavonoids, found in virtually all plants, are pigments that give plants their amazing array of colors. Most research studies in the health sciences have focused on the beneficial properties of flavonoids, and these naturally-occurring phytonutrients have repeatedly been shown to be highly health-supportive.

The link between isoflavones and decreased thyroid function is, in fact, one of the few areas in which flavonoid intake has called into question as problematic. Isoflavones like genistein appear to reduce thyroid hormone output by blocking activity of an enzyme called thyroid peroxidase. This enzyme is responsible for adding iodine onto the thyroid hormones. (Thyroid hormones must typically have three or four iodine atoms added on to their structure in order to function properly.)

Cruciferous vegetables

A second category of foods associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production is the cruciferous food family. Foods belonging to this family are called "crucifers," and include broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, mustard, rutabagas, kohlrabi, and turnips. Isothiocyanates are the category of substances in crucifers that have been associated with decreased thyroid function. Like the isoflavones, isothiocyanates appear to reduce thyroid function by blocking thyroid peroxidase, and also by disrupting messages that are sent across the membranes of thyroid cells.

Examples of foods that contain goitrogens
Cruciferous vegetables including:
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Kale
Kohlrabi
Mustard
Rutabaga
Turnips
Millet

Peaches

Peanuts

Radishes

Soybean and soy products, including tofu

Spinach

Strawberries

Thanks, Webglider, for the quick education on the goitrogens. Unfortunately it appears that the greens (kale, spinach, etc) are high.

And good luck on giving the diet another run! :)

LQB said:
Thanks, Webglider, for the quick education on the goitrogens. Unfortunately it appears that the greens (kale, spinach, etc) are high.

And good luck on giving the diet another run! :)

I agree in both regards--thanks for sharing that information and good luck on getting your diet in order :)

Thought I'd fill you all in on how life without bread has been for me these nine months.
I was already losing quite a bit of weight without dairy and gluten but it accelerated when I started eating meat in earnest and it continues. I had a recent physical and the results were mixed. I am feeling better than ever, no major illnesses outside of foot pain I was having (morton's neuroma). It's a benign tumor that can be caused by injury or pressure on the feet from wearing pointy high heals with little support. I don't wear pointy high heels. I thought it was from some sort of inflammation but the doctor kept saying it wasn't. After a consult with an orthopedic surgeon it seems connected to long ago injuries I had when I used to run track and it returned when I started jogging and walking long distances again. He suggested I get different shoes to relive the pressure. With new shoes and increased vitamin C intake the pain went way as suddenly as it came. Anemia is still an issue but I seem to have this genetic condition called beta thalessemia minor. So all this time that I kept worrying about low iron as the reason for my anemia it was that. Iron supplements are actually not recommended. My blood sugar was pretty good according to the doc. She didn't send the numbers for that but will get it at my follow up visit. I have a follow up because for the first time in my life I have "high" cholesterol. However, the breakdown of the numbers suggest to me that it isn't so bad at all. My triglycerides are 44 and good is below 150. My HDL is 101 and should be higher than 40. My LDL is 111 and it should be lower than 130. With all of that, I am eating a LOT of meat and fats and feel pretty good so I'm quite happy with life without bread. I do not have super low carbs between 50 and 70 seems is average for me. My big carb food which puts me closer to 70 than 50 is when I have a half boiled green banana or a few pieces from a fried plantain. I do keep a mental note to not have it go above 70. The best part of life without bread for me is being able to think faster and work more with less pain.

Arghhh

I did finally make it!

Two hundred & twelve pages of different sizes :headbanger: from 'regular to huge and all that in English - someone once said: practice make perfect :dance:

And it is just fantastic - comments, experiences, excerpts, instructions, advices and quotes (and I am seriously considering to go through whole LWB thread once again as I am sooooo amazed) like this of Oxajil:

Oxajil said:
Zombies

Look around you; don't you see many zombies ?

Why do so many people act like zombies nowadays ?

Snip-snip... :knitting:

The roman rulers already new that the people wouldn't rise against them as long as they were entertained and fed bread.

Well Thank You Oyajil and ESPECIALLY Mrs Laura (:love:) and Anart and Pschye and ...and ... all of you wonderful C's ('WE ARE YOU IN FUTURE!') - I am so sorry that I cannot remember wright now all of you , great undertakers of this super-fantastic Cassiopaea Experiment but I am am SO gratefull and SO amazed with your accomplishments :hug: :rockon:

I was SO lost, SO miserable, SO desperate, SO angry, SO furious, SO apathetic, SO depressed and SO&SO on - why all other people don't see what politics, military, banks, education, science, medicine, religion even sports and family are doing to them. I was trying to fight all that involving myself in meaningless windmill knight's - little and big (lost in advance) battles - trying to point out and to motivate people around me to really think for themselves and deal with real facts, but even if some of them were 'brought to consciousness' for a while they went back on 'dead end tracks' in no time... I almost gave up and - know now - was fading... I watched fellow Croatians being assimilated, becoming empty shells without true happiness, without true love, without true joy and with no real prosperity - being just another insignificant sheep in Evil Magician's pen... I wished if I was born in France, Italy, Canada as people there are wealthier, happier - totally opposite to poor Croatians unaware of real deal... I was fading and immersing in entropy and - know now - I bankrupted materially and emotionally ... and asked desperately for help an mercy - remember this so vividly... Oh Folks sorry for this long post, which I will shorten cause don't want to blog here (like Mr Pashalis warned me in one occasion :flowers:) hehe hehe:

Now I am aware that situation here is not separate bad example in 'developed world' but just a part of wider Matrix and that people all over BBM are suffering being oppressed by Evildoers on all levels.

But (a BIG one!) I found here a SUBSTANCE (like someone posted here somewhere) - a wider perspective to attack windmills over and over again but now with Cassiopaea Experimet Boost! Yeah

Once Again: THANK YOU ALL C's over there!!!
I love you all :-[ :-[ :-[

brainwave said:
Thought I'd fill you all in on how life without bread has been for me these nine months.
<snip>
The best part of life without bread for me is being able to think faster and work more with less pain.

Great to hear things are going well, brainwave!

brainwave said:
Anemia is still an issue but I seem to have this genetic condition called beta thalessemia minor. So all this time that I kept worrying about low iron as the reason for my anemia it was that. Iron supplements are actually not recommended.

Have you been eating liver at all? I don't know the specifics of how beta thalessemia minor functions so I'm not sure if it's iron would be problematic (or if the other nutrients would be helpful), but it has other nutrients necessary for hemoglobin synthesis.

webglider said:
I am writing to say that I am beginning the diet again after having stopped due to total exhaustion. I learned last week when I got the results of the blood tests that the cause is low thyroid and adrenal functions. I was given some medication and supplements which are working quite well. I feel better than I have for a long, long, time.

I also really want to say how much I appreciate what I'm learning on this thread. I knew, but my doctor did not know, that cruciferous vegetables interfere with thyroid function. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and juiced and drank a glass of liquified cauliflower and broccoli. What a mistake! I had the worst case of brain fog ever. I couldn't remember anything, and I could barely walk hermy legs felt like lead.
<snip>

webglider, you might also want to look into the Iodine thread, if you haven't already. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13371.0.html I remember some good information was included there. If you don't have any thyroid autoimmune issues (Hashimoto's, etc.) iodine supplementation might be just what you need. There's also historical clinical benefits with very high dose iodine supplementation (usually a combination of elemental iodine and potassium iodide) as a very effective cancer treatment. There's some info in that thread and you can search Hoxsey Clinic for successful treatment with 500 to 700 mg of potassium iodide, if I remember correctly. You need to also supplement organic selenium with the iodine. Just something else to look into.

Foxx said:
brainwave said:
<snip>
The best part of life without bread for me is being able to think faster and work more with less pain.

Great to hear things are going well, brainwave!

Yeah, great to here your adventures in Paleo are reaping benefits, brainwave. Also your blood lipids are looking pretty good. "High Cholesterol" is just a marketing ploy for statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs in the vast majority of cases, as you may know.

You may want to look into high dose Vitamin D3 (and Vitamin K -- K1 and K2 combo) which can include getting lots of sun for the foot problems if it comes back.

brainwave said:
I was already losing quite a bit of weight without dairy and gluten but it accelerated when I started eating meat in earnest and it continues. I had a recent physical and the results were mixed. I am feeling better than ever, no major illnesses outside of foot pain I was having (morton's neuroma). It's a benign tumor that can be caused by injury or pressure on the feet from wearing pointy high heals with little support. I don't wear pointy high heels. I thought it was from some sort of inflammation but the doctor kept saying it wasn't. After a consult with an orthopedic surgeon it seems connected to long ago injuries I had when I used to run track and it returned when I started jogging and walking long distances again. He suggested I get different shoes to relive the pressure. With new shoes and increased vitamin C intake the pain went way as suddenly as it came. Anemia is still an issue but I seem to have this genetic condition called beta thalessemia minor. So all this time that I kept worrying about low iron as the reason for my anemia it was that. Iron supplements are actually not recommended. My blood sugar was pretty good according to the doc. She didn't send the numbers for that but will get it at my follow up visit. I have a follow up because for the first time in my life I have "high" cholesterol. However, the breakdown of the numbers suggest to me that it isn't so bad at all. My triglycerides are 44 and good is below 150. My HDL is 101 and should be higher than 40. My LDL is 111 and it should be lower than 130. With all of that, I am eating a LOT of meat and fats and feel pretty good so I'm quite happy with life without bread. I do not have super low carbs between 50 and 70 seems is average for me. My big carb food which puts me closer to 70 than 50 is when I have a half boiled green banana or a few pieces from a fried plantain. I do keep a mental note to not have it go above 70. The best part of life without bread for me is being able to think faster and work more with less pain.

Thanks for the update/status brainwave.

About 2 1/2 years ago I suffered chronic pain in my right foot (bigger by a half-size than the left) that seemed best explained by Morton's Neuroma. Changing to wider shoes coupled with evolving diet/supp recommendations as described here (and earlier threads) seems to have eliminated the problem. :)

quote from SeekinTruth
webglider, you might also want to look into the Iodine thread, if you haven't already. http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13371.0.html I remember some good information was included there. If you don't have any thyroid autoimmune issues (Hashimoto's, etc.) iodine supplementation might be just what you need. There's also historical clinical benefits with very high dose iodine supplementation (usually a combination of elemental iodine and potassium iodide) as a very effective cancer treatment. There's some info in that thread and you can search Hoxsey Clinic for successful treatment with 500 to 700 mg of potassium iodide, if I remember correctly. You need to also supplement organic selenium with the iodine. Just something else to look into.

Thank you so much for this information, SeekinTruth. Your comments, indeed this entire thread, remind me of a recurring dream that I used to have. In the dream I would walk through room after room of amazing treasure - rooms that I had had no idea existed even though they were all in my house waiting to be discovered.

When I first received the cancer diagnosis all the first doctor could offer me were threats of death if I didn't do what he said: surgery, radiation, chemo. The second doctor is better although his recommendation about juicing cruciferous vegetables took a day of my life to recover from. But here, there is so much wisdom and hope. I took a cursory look at the idodine thread, I'm going right back to it.

I just wanted to thank you SeekinTruth for bringing it to my attention.

edit: fixed a grammatical error.

Sugar removal is quite hard.
I was wondering, how is Salmon? If i eat it a few times a week. Maybe i dont have to worry about Mercury, becoz im on a constant supplement of Spiruluna and Chlorella.
A couple of cans a week would be ok to add?
(Tight budget, cant buy Fresh)

It seems like the closer i get to 'optimum diet' the harder my body seems to be holding onto these little crutches.

You're welcome, webglider. Happy searching/learning and hope you find something beneficial from your readings.

melatonin, a couple of things to be aware of about canned salmon, besides mercury, is that it could be in evil oils (vegetable oils) and the can can have a PBA lining which leaches into the fish. So be careful what you buy. I think radiation and oil spill toxicity is another thing lately to be concerned about.

As far as sugar removal, it really does get easier after a few weeks of elimination. That was the first thing I eliminated (along with refined grains/flours) after a lifetime of being a sugar junkie, about six years ago, although I was still eating lots of fruits in season. After a while your cravings will subside, especially if you're reducing ALL carbs (which break down into sugars) slowly and you've eliminated casein and gluten. Just increase you're good fat intake as you lower carbs and whenever you get hungry, eat something fatty. In most cases that will keep you satiated. Good luck.

I just want to tell a few words about my diet. I can't totally switch to low carbs - high fat diet right now, because my family is not eating in such a way. But I'm trying to decrease my carbs intake to the lowest level that I can. Soon when I'll live only with my wife I'll try to make it fully. I totally eliminate diary and gluten products and almost eliminate sugar. If my stomach is full of meat I don't want almost nothing(I've got only thirst to black tea and hunger to smoke ) But I can't buy a lot of meat right now. I remember how 2 times I eat 1 banana and after it I've got pain in my stomach. And now I can eat fruits in very small amount and very rarely, because I'll have pain in my stomach. Something similar with veggies. It is because of my body is switching to another diet?

Edit: I forget to add. I prefer the most pork meat.
And after I change my diet I lost few kg, however I'm already thin, but I feel much better. I also eat 4-5 hours before I go to sleep, but still I want to sleep a lot. I need really dark room and no noise in order to sleep well. I go to bad and minimum after half an hour I fall asleep, and I find hard to get up quick. The opposite thing with my wife.

Back
Top Bottom