"Life Without Bread"

D Rusak said:
One thing I have done was start coffee again. I never had a strong reaction to it (or caffeine in general) in any way, and with starting school and new jobs, it sort of happened that I put it back in my diet (have not noticed any deleterious effects with one cup a day). But one thing I think helps is I throw in a tablespoon of coconut oil, it's a great way to get it in. I also put in cinnamon and it's good since the oil helps the cinnamon stay suspended, and not all clump up at the bottom. The cinnamon is good for many things including blunting the effect of any sugars throughout the day.

I think dugdeep mentioned his feeling that coffee is an irritant to the digestive lining and can give you probs with foodstuff getting into the blood (where it shouldn't be). And I don't think its necessarily the caffeine (I think Laura mentioned that too). I've been experimenting with a little coffee, and I think he is right - I'm getting some reactions from some things that were no prob without coffee. Tea doesn't seem to be a prob for me. I brew the tea in a coffee maker with cinnamon and coconut oil - the result is pretty good and no bad effects from food (like coffee does).

D Rusak said:
I think I need to get in more fat. I usually fry my meat in butter or marinate in oil but don't know what else to do. I really loathe eating the fatty parts as of yet. I still am not a fan of pork for whatever reason, I don't dig traditional bacon. I usually seem to have chicken sausage or beef or turkey bacon for breakfast meat. Maybe one day but I'm not quite there.

I think so too! But you may need to take it slow after so many years low-animal fat. When you chow down on a big hunk of fat and go YUMMM ..., then you know you're there! Seriously, you might try some beef tallow for cooking or put a little extra ghee on your food.

Sounds like you are on your way. When you are more stable you could consider investing in an FIR sauna bag (about 380 US at promolife.com). It will help get the cellulite moving. I don't know if we can ever really get rid of all of it, but having been eating hard core paleo for two plus years now, most of mine is gone, and that's with going through menopause too.

Even though you aren't a fan of pork, you could still cook with lard. We get 10 lbs of "naturally raised" pork fat for only a dollar a pound, which renders out to nearly four quarts. One of my housemates mother is not big fan of beef or chicken, but he's been able to pursuade her to do her frying with lard. So she does her salmon and veggies and eggs in lard. It's a start.

Also, I hate to say it, but you might want to consider giving up the caffiene ( I know, booooooooo :cry:). It's one of the substances implicated in every item I've ever read about cellulite. You might be surprised at how sensitive you may become to it. I even have to be careful not to indulge in organic dark chocolate to late in the day because it keeps me awake.

No problem to give up the caffeine, like I said, I've never noticed any reaction to it on or off (other than on nights with hardly any sleep, which happens to me sometimes unfortunately as of late, it's a little extra boost). I didn't have it for a year or two until lately, I really don't need it. Out it goes again.

The question about the cellulite was that I never had ANY until I started eating meat again. Always was in great shape and thin. I'm still thin (though have gained maybe a few pounds, clothes are definitely tighter, and lots of flab where previously things were firm). I know not exercising as much has a lot to do with it, and probably the fat ratio is off, but I wanted to throw my observation out there as it seemed a little different from others' experience, it seemed like most people were either losing needed weight or gaining added weight. I was at a good ratio but now am gaining, and it's definitely not muscle.

Thanks for the reminder about the lard. I was cooking with some in my old city, time to track some down again.

D Rusak said:
No problem to give up the caffeine, like I said, I've never noticed any reaction to it on or off (other than on nights with hardly any sleep, which happens to me sometimes unfortunately as of late, it's a little extra boost). I didn't have it for a year or two until lately, I really don't need it. Out it goes again.

The question about the cellulite was that I never had ANY until I started eating meat again. Always was in great shape and thin. I'm still thin (though have gained maybe a few pounds, clothes are definitely tighter, and lots of flab where previously things were firm). I know not exercising as much has a lot to do with it, and probably the fat ratio is off, but I wanted to throw my observation out there as it seemed a little different from others' experience, it seemed like most people were either losing needed weight or gaining added weight. I was at a good ratio but now am gaining, and it's definitely not muscle.

Thanks for the reminder about the lard. I was cooking with some in my old city, time to track some down again.

Caffeine stimulates the pancreas and messes with blood sugar levels and can cause fat deposition in lumpy bumps. That's the hidden effect of coffee that you get even if you don't get a "reaction" to it. If you haven't read "Life Without Bread" and "The Vegetarian Myth", do so as soon as possible as you (and everyone else) really need to understand the science of how the body works in order to know how what you put in your mouth is actually affecting you.

I will get to both books as soon as exams are over in a few days and hope to find some answers. Did not know this about the pancreas + coffee, thanks, I will look into this as well! Though I will mention I started gaining weight/fat as soon as I started eating the meat, and a ways before the coffee. Now that you mention it though probably more of it has been during the phase I had both. All these things, it's so crazy! The littlest thing can set your body off a totally different road.

D Rusak said:
I will get to both books as soon as exams are over in a few days and hope to find some answers. Did not know this about the pancreas + coffee, thanks, I will look into this as well! Though I will mention I started gaining weight/fat as soon as I started eating the meat, and a ways before the coffee. Now that you mention it though probably more of it has been during the phase I had both. All these things, it's so crazy! The littlest thing can set your body off a totally different road.

D Rusak, read the following carefully:

The Vegetarian Myth said:
And carbohydrates? There is no such thing as a necessary carbohydrate. Read that again. Write the Drs. Eades, "the actual amount of carbohydrates required by humans for health is zero."33

Every cell in your body can make all the sugar it needs. That includes the cells in your hungry brain. The detractors of low-carb diets have created and endlessly repeated the myth that our brains need glucose and hence we need to eat carbohydrates. Yes, our brains do need glucose—which is precisely why our bodies can make glucose. What the brain actually needs is a very steady supply of glucose: too much or too little will create a biological emergency that can result in coma and death, as any diabetic will tell you. And a constant cycle of too much/too little is exactly what a carbohydrate-based diet will provide, leaving a wreckage of deteriorating organs and arteries behind. A partial list of diseases caused by high insulin levels includes "heart disease, elevated cholesterol, elevated triglycerides, high blood pres¬sure, blood clotting problems, colon cancer (and a number of other cancers), type II diabetes, gout, sleep apnea, obesity, iron-overload disease, gastroesophageal reflux (severe heartburn), peptic ulcer dis¬ease, [and] polycystic ovary disease."34

These are serious diseases and they are endemic to civilized cultures. We accept them as normal because they are ubiquitous. We eat the foods our culture provides; we get sick. But then everyone is sick—who doesn't know someone with diabetes, cancer, heart disease, arthritis?—so no one questions it. And it's a lot to question, from the USDA food pyramid, to the righteous aura with which the Left has infused plant-based foods, to civilization itself. These are powerful forces to which our own native intelligence—both personal and cultural—has long been subordinated.

What we are left with are cravings, both vague and unbearable, that we have taught ourselves to fight. "When I eat, I feel full," a friend of mine said. "But when I eat at your house, I feel nourished." Believe me, it's not my skill as a chef she's acknowledging. It's the quality of the ingredients: real food. Real protein and real fats from animals who in turn ate their real food.
{...}

These are daunting obstacles, and if you can't find your way clear to the true hunger beneath, maybe the damage of a plant-based diet can lead you there. Maybe you don't find the molecular mimicry of autoimmune disorders strong enough evidence. Then listen to this instead: "The diseases that insulin affects directly ... are the cause of the vast majority of death and disability in the US today. They are the grim reapers of Western civilization."36 Heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes are all caused by the insulin surges that grain and sugar demand.

What's the difference between complex carbohydrates and sugar? Despite the intense propaganda to declare the former "good" and the latter "bad," not much. "Many people are of the opinion that there are good and bad carbohydrates, when in actuality there are barely tolerable and awful sugars," write the Drs. Eades.37 Whether "complex" or "simple," all carbohydrates are sugars. The only difference is whether they are individual sugar molecules or a string of sugar molecules. Glucose is the simplest sugar, made of a single molecule. Sucrose, regular table sugar, is made of two molecules and is, hence, a disaccharide. There are three-molecule trisaccharides. Sugars with more molecules are called polysaccharides. These include grains, beans, and potatoes.

Why don't these differences matter? Because our digestive system can't digest the long chains. They're too big to be absorbed through the intestinal wall. So our bodies break them down into simple sugars. And every last molecule eventually hits the bloodstream:

So whether it began life as a fat-free bagel, a quarter cup of sugar from the sugar bowl, a canned soft drink, a bowl of fettuccine, a baked potato, or a handful of jelly beans, by the time your intestinal tract gets finished snipping the links of those starch and sugar chains, it's all been reduced to ... sugar. Specifically, to glucose. And in the end there's very little metabolic difference between your eating a medium baked potato or drinking a 12-ounce can of soda pop. Each contains about fifty grams of easily digestible and rapidly available glucose. It may surprise you to know that the potato might even be slightly worse in terms of the rise in blood sugar that follows it.38

According to the USDA, we should be eating a diet that is 60 percent carbohydrate. Your body will turn that carbohydrate into almost two cups of glucose, and each and every molecule has to be reckoned with.

That amount of sugar in the bloodstream would lead to coma and death if humans didn't have a way to process sugar, and fast. So the body comes equipped with a mechanism to clear sugar from the blood, but it's a mechanism that agriculturalists wear out. Elevated sugar levels stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone responsible for nutrient storage. Its primary purpose is to get excess sugar, amino acids, and fats out of the blood and into the cells.

Sugar is the most dangerous of those three, as too much sugar can cause serious consequences very quickly. So insulin's most important job is to keep blood sugar levels out of the red zone. It does this by binding with insulin receptors, which are proteins on a cell's surface that remove sugar from the blood. Insulin is the switch that turns on the insulin receptors, which then do the work of moving glucose into the cell.

Patients with juvenile diabetes have pancreases that produce very little insulin. Their insulin receptors are in working order, but without the stimulating presence of insulin, their receptors are never triggered to act. That's why these patients take insulin.

Type II diabetes has a different etiology. Eating any carbohydrate or sugar results in a glucose surge in the bloodstream. The pancreas responds with insulin, insulin triggers the insulin receptors, and the insulin receptors pump sugar into the cells for immediate use or for storage. So far, so good.

The problem comes with overuse. When blood sugar levels are constantly spiking from a diet high in carbohydrates, the amount of insulin required to deal with that will, over time, damage the insulin receptors, blunting their ability to work. Yet the high levels of sugar still need to be lowered, and lowered quickly. So the pancreas pumps out even more insulin, which temporarily forces the insulin receptors into action but ultimately creates still more damage. Now there is so much insulin in the blood that by the time it's all absorbed by the insulin receptors, blood sugar levels will be too low. This cycle, of high blood sugar — too much insulin — low blood sugar, is called hypo- glycemia, and it ends when the sufferer, biologically desperate to raise her blood sugar levels, puts another dose of sugar into her mouth with a sweaty, shaking hand. That will help, for an hour or two—until her blood sugar crashes again and the whole process starts over.

Where it really ends is in type II diabetes. The resistant insulin receptors demand too much insulin, more than the pancreas could ever make. The chronic excess sugar destroys the nerves, the arteries, the retinas, the heart. Despite every advance in medical science, a diabetic's life can be shortened by one third.39 Such are the wages of civilization's dietary sins.

Because insulin also controls a number of other basic life functions, high levels of insulin will cause damage throughout the body. Insulin triggers cholesterol synthesis, activating the enzymes that spur cholesterol production. About 80 percent of your cholesterol is made in your body: only 20 percent is dietary, which is one reason why low-fat diets have proven basically useless. Though every one of your cells both makes and needs cholesterol, most of it is produced in the liver. Elevated insulin means elevated cholesterol. The Drs. Eades explain why.

Excess food energy increases blood sugar, which increases insulin, which triggers the storage cycle leading to fat accumulation. To store fat and build muscle, the body must make new cells, and insulin acts as a growth hormone for this process. Cholesterol plays a vital role in this building and stor¬ing process; cholesterol provides the structural framework for
all cells.40

And high blood pressure, heart disease, and arteriosclerosis? Too much insulin triggers the growth of smooth muscle cells that line the arteries, thickening the walls and reducing elasticity. Blood volume of the arteries shrinks, which means the heart has to pump harder, which is another way of saying "high blood pressure." Insulin also triggers the kidneys to retain fluid, which again increases blood pressure. Arteries with less elasticity are more insulin also encourages fibrous connective tissue to grow inside the arteries, providing a scaffold for the first layer of plaque.

Insulin increases oxidation of LDL particles. These hard-working substances have been declared guilty for no good reason and dubbed "bad cholesterol." Like the rest of us, they're only bad when they're damaged. And what damages them? Too much blood sugar and insulin. Sugars are able to attach to proteins all over the body and start a reaction that creates permanent damage to the cells. This process is called glycation and fructation, for glucose and fructose, respectively. It's similar to how "dairy protein and fat with sugar and heat ... make caramel."41 The Drs. Eades explain:

Year in and year out, from the time we're born, this damage wrought by the carmelization process accumulates in our bodies; over a lifetime it wreaks the most havoc in long-lived proteins, including elastin, the protein that gives youthful elasticity to the skin; crystallin, the special protein that forms the lens of the eye; DNA, the genetic blueprint present in all cells; and collagen, the structural protein that accounts for over 30 percent of the body's protein mass, occurring in tis¬sues all over the body, including the hair, skin, and nails, the walls of all arteries and veins, and the framework of bones and organs. Damage to these critical protein structures results not only in such cosmetic maladies as wrinkles and age spots, but in serious health problems ranging from cataracts to failure of major organs, such as the kidneys and the heart.42

That's just from ingesting sugar. The excess insulin required by that ingestion makes it even worse: insulin raises the rate of oxidation of the LDL particles. So on a carbohydrate-based diet, there's lots of sugar to do damage, and that sugar requires insulin that adds even more damage. Once impaired, the LDL heads for the arterial walls. There, it sets off an immune reaction. The body's defenders, the macrophages, will attack and dismember the LDL, creating inflammation and vanquished bits of deranged cholesterol. Those bits are now bio- available and will be used by the body in the formation of plaque.

Insulin triggers the production of fibrinogen, which is the sub¬stance used in the first stage of clot formation. Insulin also stimulates the kidneys to dump both magnesium and potassium, which can lead to heart arrhythmias and life-threatening fibrillation. Is there any stage of coronary heart disease missing from this indictment?

The counterbalancing hormone to insulin is glucagon. When your blood sugar levels are in free fall and headed for the crash, glucagon's job is to get those levels back up. It does this by stimulating the body to burn its reserves of energy, and it has some help: both adrenaline and cortisol are part of the process. Remember that a blood sugar level out of a narrow range—either too low or too high—is a life- threatening emergency, and it requires emergency measures. Adrenaline prepares you for fight or flight. It forces energy out of storage and cranks up the metabolism in your muscles, getting you ready for action. One of the ways it frees up more energy for your muscles is by shutting down your digestive systems: the presence of adrenaline suppresses the stomach's production of hydrochloric acid.

That's fine for the occasional sabertooth tiger attack, but eating a high-carbohydrate diet is a tiger attack three times a day, every day.

SolarMother said:
I am glad I found your posting today Gertrudes. I must be somewhere close to a breakthrough since the leg cramps have lessened. I have a tad more energy today, but was exactly as you described your energy level being for the last 4-5 weeks--very low, walking slow, lethargic, etc. Then these last 4 weeks I increased the fats and decreased carbs. I am still constipated, so I need to go back to the probiotics it appears(along with continuing the magnesium.) Thanks for explaining that so clearly (bowel functioning) as its been worrisome.

I'm glad it's helped. Do persevere because it's worth it. I understand where you are, for me walking up and down the stairs in my house was already enough of an adventure, and my job is physical exercise! I kept asking my partner to go to the 1st floor for me whenever I wanted something from there as my legs seemed not to want to respond, it was a very strange feeling. But the fatigue went, and I think it will go with you too.

Stranger said:
If there are others here who also have concentration difficulties during the adaption I wonder if my cognitive problems during the last weeks are possibly related to the diet. I have difficulties to formulate complex sentences and thoughts and to speak fluently and fast which really disturbs me.

I think that's a good possibility. I surely had it, at one point it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to concentrate at work, it often happened that I couldn't remember nor memorize well what I had planed. That's gone, and my mind is very sharp now.

nicklebleu said:
One thing I found that makes a big difference is chewing...

This makes sense to me. Also, Kniall posted:

Kniall said:
Well now, after saying that I went and had an awful time of it today after eating spareribs last night. I was sick in the morning and had a really painful bout of diarrhea. All day I've had the taste of fat repeating on me and I've hardly been able to eat anything.
(...)
and wolfed it down because I was so hungry

I had mild nausea and difficulty digesting my meal the other day. One thing I did notice was that besides the amount of fat, I was also very hungry and ate very, very fast, the food was likely not well chewed when it went down. I took 2 digestive enzymes and 2 slippery elm capsules and within half an hour I was fine again.

As is mentioned in Life without Bread, the transition to a low carb diet can lead to low potassium levels over the first couple of weeks. Here is a list with some symptoms from low levels of potassium taken from _http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_potassium/page3_em.htm

Low Potassium Symptoms

Usually symptoms of low potassium are mild. At times the effects of low potassium can be vague. There may be more than one symptom involving the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, kidneys, muscles, heart, and nerves.

Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)

Tingling or numbness

Nausea or vomiting

Abdominal cramping, bloating

Constipation

Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)

Passing large amounts of urine or feeling very thirsty most of the time

Fainting due to low blood pressure

Abnormal psychological behavior: depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

The sentences in bold describe some of the symptoms suffered by several of us, it might be a good idea to supplement with potassium for those of us are having problems.

I've been trying to eat more meat and fat for the past few weeks now. I'm still eating too much carbs, but slowly getting there. One thing I've noticed is that I have far fewer cravings than before. I usually work in the evening and I used to be starving when I got home around 9:30 p.m. and had to eat a big meal. Now, when I eat properly during the day, for example some eggs and bacon for breakfast and some pork stew for lunch, I don't even feel the need to eat when I come home at night. And I used to love eating vegetables but now I don't even seem to want to eat them anymore.

I also don't feel as tired as I used to and it's easier to concentrate.

One thing I still have trouble letting go of is coffee. I absolutely LOVE coffee :love:, and I've tried several times to quit without success. Why does it have to taste so good! I've seriously reduced the amount I drink, though, and hope to give it up for good this time. Especially now that I know how evil this stuff is.

Caffeine stimulates the pancreas and messes with blood sugar levels and can cause fat deposition in lumpy bumps. That's the hidden effect of coffee that you get even if you don't get a "reaction" to it. If you haven't read "Life Without Bread" and "The Vegetarian Myth", do so as soon as possible as you (and everyone else) really need to understand the science of how the body works in order to know how what you put in your mouth is actually affecting you

Thanks for all the valuable information! :flowers: Will try to get the books as soon as I can.

Hmmmmmmmmm. There is a local vendor that moves through the area once or twice a week, and delivers bread form a local partisan bakers. I believe she is an independent contractor, as her van is always full of baguettes, and round loafs of fresh bread. I don't think she makes a great living from it, but perhaps enough to keep food on her table, or i don't think she would other wise do so.

You can hear her roll through the area, as she makes her rounds, she will honk the horn to hawk her wares.

So i will buy one loaf, and place it on the counter. Just kind of keep it around, as reminder of the things that have come gone and for the better. Once in while i will pick it up and smell it, for old times sake. But that was then, and now it is just a conversation piece, as too a food source.

Say la vie!

Attachments

• Life Without Bread 002 (400x225).jpg
    Life Without Bread 002 (400x225).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 24
c.a., are you saying that you bought a baguette (or two, by the looks of that photo) just so you could test your ability to withstand temptation?!

Thanks to all who shared info about coming through nausea related to the transition to low-carb. I still think I went overboard in the amount of saturated fat I ate in one sitting on that particularly nauseous day. It took a while to recover any appetite but now that it has returned, it seems much less than it was before. Taking L-Carnitine at mealtimes has helped. I don't need to wolf anything down anymore, which is great because when I was eating carbs I wouldn't know when to stop. I just opened the hatch and shovelled it in!

c.a. said:
So i will buy one loaf, and place it on the counter. Just kind of keep it around, as reminder of the things that have come gone and for the better. Once in while i will pick it up and smell it, for old times sake. But that was then, and now it is just a conversation piece, as too a food source.

After a few weeks on the counter, they may serve as pretty good weapons. :D

Kniall said:
c.a., are you saying that you bought a baguette (or two, by the looks of that photo) just so you could test your ability to withstand temptation?!

Hi Kniall, no, in reality to just help in the support of her with her efforts to make living. What would be neat if she had buckwheat baguettes, but that is something i have never found from any bakery, has ever offered.

So like many on the forum, i enjoy me buckwheat pancakes, and have them offten as a replacement for the bread. ;)

Attachments

• buckwheat_pancakes.jpg
    buckwheat_pancakes.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 17
LQB said:
c.a. said:

After a few weeks on the counter, they may serve as pretty good weapons. :D

Oh yeah, definitly a litheal weapon, brick hard.

Back
Top Bottom