"Life Without Bread"

Jefferson said:
I don't think I will try it out for myself what you did Enaid, although I am all for experimenting, and just keep eating my animal protein and animal/saturated fat that keeps me satisfied (I don't feel like I am missing out on anything and I have no longing or desire for the other stuff anymore, at least not yet).

By all means I'm with you on this Jefferson - do not experiment with it, the meat/fat diet is apparently the best of all!

Just to clarify, I didn't suddenly decide to experiment what would happen if I increase carbs again. It's just an old 'habit' of mine, which I have to struggle against (using food as buffer). The thing is, there's no way to use food as buffer when one eats the exact right fuel for the body - because the body tells you when to stop. Fruit sugar however simply elicits a constant call for more (hungry candida). When looking back, what I've eaten the most in my life has been fruit and veggies, and this although diabetes runs in my family; but I'd always considered it healthy.

I've had negative reactions to eating fruit sugar already, but never as strongly felt as this time. So, body has tasted the real thing and protests strongly now, which is really good actually, because eating the wrong stuff isn't any fun anymore.

Thor said:
I also want to share an interesting experience I had the other day. I had a full breakfast consisting of 250 g organic bacon, two large eggs, two onions caramelized in the bacon fat and a BW roll to sop up the yolk. I was feeling energized and relaxed at the same time. Then I had my morning shake as described above, with banana, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and an orange. About halfway through it (the entire shake is one liter) I started to feel tired. I finished the shake and for the rest of the day I was extremely tired. It was as if all the positive energy that had been mobilized by the fat was being neutralized by the carbs in the shake. At the time I hadn’t read this thread so I just thought I had eaten too much by filling one liter of shake into my stomach but now, my hypothesis is that the carbs are to blame.
I'm wondering if it's not only the amount of buckwheat, but the fruit? Perhaps you may want to try a small quantity of the buckwheat milk without fruit or any sweetener - that includes dates - and see how you feel. Or just do without the milk and fruit altogether?

After 2 weeks with about 0-20 gr. of carbs per day (and all in all roughly 3-5 weeks low-carb) I felt so weak that I barely could get up in the morning. My metabolism seemed to slow down, so I went to bed debilitated and was even weaker the next morning. I added up to 50-70 gr. of carbs per day and I feel fine again.

truth seeker said:
Thor said:
I also want to share an interesting experience I had the other day. I had a full breakfast consisting of 250 g organic bacon, two large eggs, two onions caramelized in the bacon fat and a BW roll to sop up the yolk. I was feeling energized and relaxed at the same time. Then I had my morning shake as described above, with banana, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and an orange. About halfway through it (the entire shake is one liter) I started to feel tired. I finished the shake and for the rest of the day I was extremely tired. It was as if all the positive energy that had been mobilized by the fat was being neutralized by the carbs in the shake. At the time I hadn’t read this thread so I just thought I had eaten too much by filling one liter of shake into my stomach but now, my hypothesis is that the carbs are to blame.
I'm wondering if it's not only the amount of buckwheat, but the fruit? Perhaps you may want to try a small quantity of the buckwheat milk without fruit or any sweetener - that includes dates - and see how you feel. Or just do without the milk and fruit altogether?

I didn't originally think that reaction was due to the dates as have had two chopped up dates in my morning buckwheat porridge for about half a year which makes for a higher sugar content than the buckwheat milk. But in order to be sure it makes sense to isolate the influences to see what is the actual cause. I'll report back when I've tried it :)

Thor said:
truth seeker said:
I didn't originally think that reaction was due to the dates as have had two chopped up dates in my morning buckwheat porridge for about half a year which makes for a higher sugar content than the buckwheat milk. But in order to be sure it makes sense to isolate the influences to see what is the actual cause. I'll report back when I've tried it :)
Yes, it's best to not only isolate the cause but also keep in mind that sometimes, there's a tipping point that occurs. The body basically says this much, but no more. So you could be reacting to both when there's an overload.

Reported on the "Vegetarian Myth" thread:

Just a little update: After several years of having no dairy at all, (except Ghee), and finding that I can now eat eggs (which means my leaky gut has healed significantly), I decided to give cream a try. It would be useful to have a more pleasant way to introduce more fat into the diet. Well, it was a very bad idea. Within a couple hours my entire digestive system reacted as if I had been poisoned. It felt like I was on fire all the way through. A couple more hours and I had the trots and it actually burned "in passing." Next morning, same thing. I did not have serious cramps, just one, giant, prolonged tightening of everything as though my digestive tract was trying to get away from this stuff. I did have a few burps and gas later on.

Today is the second day after this consumption of 5 teaspoons of Cornish clotted cream and I'm still feeling like my insides are raw.

Additionally, for the past two days, following my experiment, we've cut our carbs down to 25 or less. The object is to get the body to switch from carb metabolism to fat metabolism Obviously, getting sufficient fat is an ongoing issue because otherwise, protein is converted to carbs.

We've gotten a couple kilos of pork fat from the butcher and I think I'm going to put it through the meat grinder and freeze it in portions to fry up with any other meats we eat. It could also be put into soups where fat is pretty easily consumed in a nice meaty broth. Broths made from meat on the bone have the advantage of containing a lot of minerals also. In the end, this will probably end up being the most efficient way to eat: meat on the bone turned into soup with plenty of added fat. Of course, we could get some longbones from the butcher and break them open for the marrow which is very fatty. Think I'll try that next.

Laura said:
We've gotten a couple kilos of pork fat from the butcher and I think I'm going to put it through the meat grinder and freeze it in portions to fry up with any other meats we eat. It could also be put into soups where fat is pretty easily consumed in a nice meaty broth. Broths made from meat on the bone have the advantage of containing a lot of minerals also. In the end, this will probably end up being the most efficient way to eat: meat on the bone turned into soup with plenty of added fat. Of course, we could get some longbones from the butcher and break them open for the marrow which is very fatty. Think I'll try that next.

Just to report how I've been getting most of my fat, I cook organic beef ribs (with bones) on top of thick slices of bacon-like pork meat (it is not actually bacon because it is fresh, but it is cut just like bacon - I use this because it does not have added preservatives) with at least half a liter of water in a large pressure cooker. This gives me very tender meat and also a nice amount of liquefied fat (with probably a lot of minerals because of the ribs). When eating, I put a lot of this liquefied fat on my plate and use it to dip the pieces of meat before every bite. I keep what is left of the liquefied fat for later use.

Courageous Inmate Sort said:
Laura said:

Just to report how I've been getting most of my fat, I cook organic beef ribs (with bones) on top of thick slices of bacon-like pork meat (it is not actually bacon because it is fresh, but it is cut just like bacon - I use this because it does not have added preservatives) with at least half a liter of water in a large pressure cooker. This gives me very tender meat and also a nice amount of liquefied fat (with probably a lot of minerals because of the ribs). When eating, I put a lot of this liquefied fat on my plate and use it to dip the pieces of meat before every bite. I keep what is left of the liquefied fat for later use.

You can also get good grass-fed beef tallow and add it to stocks/soups and roasts for extra fat in the drippings - very yummy.

I posted this in another thread but it belongs here as well:

I'm reading this book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." He explains some things in there that suggest that people who are "carb sensitive" have all kinds of problems, including emotional, in reaction to carbs... not just wheat, dairy, lectins, the rest.

He also brings forward some information that actually makes me wonder if we did evolve from a fruit/root eating anthropoid. Maybe it was the other way around? Some sort of predatory monkey type creature evolved rapidly and those who were stuck in situations where only fruits/veggies/roots were available due to some catastrophe or whatever, branched off and became apes, not the other way around.

As he points out, there is NO ONE who cannot function better in a state of ketosis, but there is a subset of people (minority) that can thrive on carbs. Everyone else is heir to all kinds of ills for eating them. This suggests that eating meat was at the beginning and only later was there adaptation to carbs. Who knows? Maybe those who eat carbs and veggies will start a devolution to apes in a few dozen generations?

Anyway, he says you need to up the salt intake significantly while going through the transition phase - like 5 grams a day - plus some potassium. Also, that you do get a lot of fat in what is called even lean meat so maybe we don't need to get so angsty about piling on the fat?

It can take several days to go into ketosis and everybody has their own "level of carbs" that gets them there most efficiently. Usually 50 grams or below. You have to find the level where you stay in nutritional ketosis and he offers some suggestions how to do that. I'm just going to get the urine test sticks.

Once you are in this state of nutritional ketosis (he's got a lot of science that is well worth the read and explains it pretty well without jargon), you have to be in the state for at least a week or more before you start getting the real benefits. These benefits include completely rebuilding your body at the cellular level, DNA changes, and so on. It seems that Lutz is absolutely correct, a whole bunch of conditions can be cured not JUST on low carbs, but in a state of ketosis.

I would say that this is the next essential book to read on the topic. It is very important to have the details in order to monitor what you are doing.

Based on what he says, some of the folks who are having trouble with too much plain fat can back off a bit if it makes them sick because there is more fat in what we are eating than we have suspected thus far. But they definitely need to get in ketosis and stay there and increase their salt and potassium intake during the transition.

Again: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Volek and Phinney.

Note: he allows dairy and doesn't seem to be clued in about artificial sweeteners or MSG, but that's a minor problem compared to what he does "bring to the table"!!

Laura said:
Based on what he says, some of the folks who are having trouble with too much plain fat can back off a bit if it makes them sick because there is more fat in what we are eating than we have suspected thus far. But they definitely need to get in ketosis and stay there and increase their salt and potassium intake during the transition.

On that note, I've been following Dr. Eades' recommendation to add a little bit of salt to remineralize my drinking water (distilled). I find I like the taste better this way (just enough so that you can barely taste it). I just add a couple pinches of Mediterranean sea salt to my jar and I'm set to go.

Laura said:
I'm just going to get the urine test sticks.

Good idea! For anyone wondering, the test can be found at both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com

Approaching Infinity said:
On that note, I've been following Dr. Eades' recommendation to add a little bit of salt to remineralize my drinking water (distilled). I find I like the taste better this way (just enough so that you can barely taste it). I just add a couple pinches of Mediterranean sea salt to my jar and I'm set to go.

I've started Dr. Eades' recommendation and I add a little bit of sea salt to my water as well. After increasing the fat and cutting down on the carbs my feet and ankles have been swollen up, but they're gradually going down again now.

Also, I've started on the diet changes before getting some lipoic acid and digestive enzymes, and I think that is why my stools have been a very light colour the last few days? So I'm straight down to the health shop tomorrow.

I had 3 rashers of bacon done in lard with some chopped sautéed onions to soak up the fat for breakfast. Then for dinner I had belly pork, carrots, Brussels sprouts and green beans, wetted with some warmed up fat mixed with some of that brown stuff that you get in the bottom of the pan after cooking a chicken (which I cooked the other day.) That's all I've had today.

As for the digestive enzymes, could anyone please have a look at his link and suggest which to choose?

link

Thanks

Peam said:
As for the digestive enzymes, could anyone please have a look at his link and suggest which to choose?

link

Thanks

If you find you're having upper digestive problems, like things sitting in your gut, not digesting, heartburn, indigestion or gas (burping) an hour or two after eating, then you might need HCl with your enzymes. You can always test by taking a little apple cider vinegar (diluted) with your meal - if it helps (or you don't notice anything) you probably need HCl. If it makes the problem worse, your problem might be that you're producing too much acid and don't need to supplement HCl, (and you may want to take a little bicarbonate to end the discomfort from the vinegar). Note though that the ACV will burn on the way down since it's quite acidic. The test is if it burns or helps awhile after your meal, not right away.

You may actually need to take an additional HCl supplement since there's usually not much included in enzyme formulas (for reference, I take an HCl supplement with 650mg Betaine Hydrochloride, but enzyme formulas often only have around 50mg).

Other than that, try to find one that includes ox bile to help with the digestion of fats - that's pretty essential given the high fat diet. The rest of the enzymes will be pretty standard. You don't need any lactase, since that's specifically for dairy digestion, but it won't hurt anything if it's in there.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the updates here, also in this topic Laura, cause right now I don't have the time to follow the other topic. :flowers:

Laura said:
It can take several days to go into ketosis and everybody has their own "level of carbs" that gets them there most efficiently. Usually 50 grams or below. You have to find the level where you stay in nutritional ketosis and he offers some suggestions how to do that. I'm just going to get the urine test sticks.

Once you are in this state of nutritional ketosis (he's got a lot of science that is well worth the read and explains it pretty well without jargon), you have to be in the state for at least a week or more before you start getting the real benefits. These benefits include completely rebuilding your body at the cellular level, DNA changes, and so on. It seems that Lutz is absolutely correct, a whole bunch of conditions can be cured not JUST on low carbs, but in a state of ketosis.

That's interesting, cause sometimes I have the sour mouth feeling, which is actually a sign for me that I have high blood sugar, but then I checked it and it was all right (the blood sugar: no ketoacidosis). But is it normal to have this "acid" mouth feeling nonetheless? How much ketones are recommend so far, exists there a number? Cause I have a blood measuring ketone device, which I like to use now more often. The urine ketone test sticks shouldn't be too expensive in my experience but have a limited life time and don't last for ages and "just" show you appr. numbers (through colors) if you are in a ketosis.

I strongly urge everyone who wishes to try the ketogenic method of restoring health, to read this book: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." By Volek and Phinney.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309769535&sr=1-1

It's 30 bux in the U.S.

Product Description

Carbohydrate restricted diets are commonly practiced but seldom taught. As a result, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, and nurses may have strong opinions about low carbohydrate dieting, but in many if not most cases, these views are not grounded in science.

Now, whether you are a curious healthcare professional or just a connoisseur of diet information, two New York Times best-selling authors provide you with the definitive resource for low carbohydrate living.

Doctors Volek and Phinney share over 50 years of clinical experience using low carbohydrate diets, and together they have published more than 200 research papers and chapters on the topic. Particularly in the last decade, much has been learned about the risks associated with insulin resistance (including but not limited to metabolic syndrome, hypertension, and type-2 diabetes), and how this condition is far better controlled by carbohydrate restriction than with drugs.

In this book, you will learn why:

* Carbohydrate restriction is the proverbial 'silver bullet' for managing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes.
* Restricting carbohydrate improves blood glucose and lipids while reducing inflammation, all without drugs.
* Dietary saturated fat is not a demon when you are low carb adapted.
* Dietary sugars and refined starches are not needed to feed your brain or fuel exercise.
* Long-term success involves much more than simply cutting out carbs.
* Electrolyte and mineral management are key to avoiding side effects and ensuring success.
* Trading up from sugars and starches to a cornucopia of nutrient-rich, satisfying, and healthy foods is empowering.
* Studying hunter-gathers' diets provides clues to how best formulate a low carbohydrate diet.

This is a great book for health-minded individuals.

It is an excellent book for healthcare professionals.

Best of all, it is the perfect gift for health-minded individuals to share with their doctors, dietitians, and nutritionists.

About the Author

Jeff Volek is a dietitian-scientist who has spent 15 years studying diet and exercise effects on health and performance. He has held an academic position at Ball State University and is currently an associate professor at the University of Connecticut. Dr. Volek has contributed to 3 books, 2 patents, and over 200 papers. He received his dietetic training at Michigan State University and Penrose St Francis Hospital and his PhD in Exercise Physiology from Penn State University.

Steve Phinney is a physician-scientist who has spent 35 years studying diet, exercise, fatty acids, and inflammation. He has held academic positions at the Universities of Vermont, Minnesota, and California at Davis, as well as leadership positions at Monsanto, Galileo Laboratories, and Efficas. Dr. Phinney has published over 70 papers and several patents. He received his MD from Stanford University, his PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from MIT, and post-doctoral training at the University of Vermont and Harvard.

Back
Top Bottom