"Life Without Bread"

Gertrudes said:
dugdeep said:
On a different note, flaxseed oil (and possibly hemp) are probably the best oils for seasoning a cast iron pan :D

Quick question dugdeep: wouldn't this turn them into toxic oils since they can't stand the heat?

That's what I used to think too, but it turns out that when you're seasoning cast iron, you WANT the oils to break down. The ideal oils are ones with a low smoke point and you season them by exposing them to a lot of heat. I think, although I'm not sure about this, that it's actually the glycerol from the fats (triglycerides) that coats the pan and makes it kind of non-stick, not the fatty acids themselves. So by taking the fats past their smoke point, they break down, releasing the glycerol and coating the pan.

When it comes to seasoning cast iron, it seems the rules of fats that you want to eat don't apply :)

Check out this link for more - http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

dugdeep said:
Gertrudes said:
dugdeep said:
On a different note, flaxseed oil (and possibly hemp) are probably the best oils for seasoning a cast iron pan :D

Quick question dugdeep: wouldn't this turn them into toxic oils since they can't stand the heat?

That's what I used to think too, but it turns out that when you're seasoning cast iron, you WANT the oils to break down. The ideal oils are ones with a low smoke point and you season them by exposing them to a lot of heat. I think, although I'm not sure about this, that it's actually the glycerol from the fats (triglycerides) that coats the pan and makes it kind of non-stick, not the fatty acids themselves. So by taking the fats past their smoke point, they break down, releasing the glycerol and coating the pan.

When it comes to seasoning cast iron, it seems the rules of fats that you want to eat don't apply :)

Check out this link for more - http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Thanks for this info dugdeep. I seasoned my pan with tallow and it never quite acheived that non-stick finish. Back to the drawing board to do it right this time.

Odyssey said:
Thanks for this info dugdeep. I seasoned my pan with tallow and it never quite acheived that non-stick finish. Back to the drawing board to do it right this time.

Same here. Thanks dugdeep, I would have never guessed it.

I have one more thing to ask and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

It was kinda warm upstairs while I was cleaning that bathroom this morning and usually when I work in a warm place I`ll break a sweat, sometimes actually be real wet from perspiration.

What happened today was sort of strange, I did have sweat on my brow but instead of any body perspiration, I seemed to radiated intense heat.

It felt as though I was throwing off heat in every direction, but there was no sweat and my body didn`t really feel hot, though I could feel the heat just radiating off of me!

This was something new, I have never experienced anything like that before and I couldn`t help but wonder what would happen if someone was working "really hard", like digging ditches or something, how much more heat they might create!

I couldn`t help but think of those ancient soldiers, and how they couldn`t cool down after a battle!

So I took a break for awhile and did cool down very quickly, but I still felt really wired and raring to go anyway.

Is this dangerous, or is this just something I should have expected to happen?

I`m at about 3 carbs a day now, consistently, maybe I should add more?

anart said:
Mr. Premise said:
meager said:
So for us, these changes have been nothing but miraculous, with little or no problems at all and I can`t help but wonder why, though I`m not complaining, because feeling this good finally, is just incredible!

Me too. I haven't had any negative effects. No carb cravings, no tiredness or headaches.

I have had headaches, fatigue, grumpiness, anger and depression. Then, this morning, I felt super energetic and clear headed. I've gone the last four straight days with less than fifteen carbs of any kind (one day zero carbs). It seems to have really kick-started something (knock on wood).

I too have had monstrous chocolate cravings for the past six months and they've significantly lessened. I'm probably going to have 20 carbs tomorrow for some variety, but, right now, this is interesting. We'll see how it goes.

I'm in the no neg effects camp so far, but no massive increase in energy that I can tell. Been sweating a lot lately so I upped the salt to 2 tsp. Cut back on the Xylitol and sweet potato. Found that a TBL spn of almond butter (3gm carb) mixed with ghee and bacon is a great snack.

RedFox said:
Jefferson said:
I assume this means I am without doubt burning keytones?

My understanding is this means you are producing keytones, but have yet to start fully utilising them (your cells are in transition to burning keytones).
Once you go fully into keytosis, your score on the urine test will drop to almost nothing as all the keytones are being used up before they can be excreted.

I dropped carbs mid April (with gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine dropped already last year) and have still not gone into ketosis according to the test which showing levels of more than 4mmol/l but not as high any higher than 6-8mmol/l according to the color.
I haven't really had any adverse reaction to changing to low carb, high fat eating, but I feel good.

I wonder if I am still getting too many carbs after all, and maybe that is why the transition to burning ketosis is taking so long - can the test produce a higher result of one temporarily eats too many carbs? I will do several tests over the next while and see what happens.

Does anybody know what is the 'record time' it has taken the transition to ketosis? Soon it will be 3 months for me and I still haven't transitioned according to the 1 urine test I did.

Jefferson

EDIT - typos

Jefferson said:
RedFox said:
Jefferson said:
I assume this means I am without doubt burning keytones?

My understanding is this means you are producing keytones, but have yet to start fully utilising them (your cells are in transition to burning keytones).
Once you go fully into keytosis, your score on the urine test will drop to almost nothing as all the keytones are being used up before they can be excreted.

I dropped carbs mid April (with gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine dropped already last year) and have still not gone into ketosis according to the test which showing levels of more than 4mmol/l but not as high any higher than 6-8mmol/l according to the color.
I haven't really had any adverse reaction to changing to low carb, high fat eating, but I feel good.

I wonder if I am still getting too many carbs after all, and maybe that is why the transition to burning ketosis is taking so long - can the test produce a higher result of one temporarily eats too many carbs? I will do several tests over the next while and see what happens.

Does anybody low what is the 'record time' it has taken the transition to ketosis? Soon it will be 3 months for me and I still haven't transitioned according to the 1 urine test I did.

Jefferson

How much carbs are you getting in average per day? Are you getting enough protein and fat?

Jefferson said:

Jefferson, I don't know whether I understood you correctly, but do you mean to say that your test is showing 4mmol/L? If so, that, according to my bottle, is already a state of ketosis.

Laura said:
...One thing I do notice, though, is a persistent "fear of fat" in some people that is almost worse than fear of flying or fear of smoking! What's more, by eating low fat for so many years - whether by choice or just because that's how food is done nowadays - the liver goes quiet and getting it cranked back up and online WHILE also detoxing all the build-up in the body from years of the liver being sluggish, can be quite uncomfortable!

If our bodies were clean and non-toxic and all other things were equal, we could probably listen to them but since they aren't, we often have to suffer discomfort to get to that clean state.

There is also the possibility of stored toxins in body fat that are released when the fat is released and used. I remember this from when I lost 85 pounds in 9 months by calorie restriction, 7-8 years ago. They produce their own symptoms, and they must certainly affect the liver. The effects should, however, be reduced when losing weight slowly.

I have not been able to keep up with this thread, let alone all the new reading, because of work. My approach is a little different anyway, though, in that I am trying to quiet down a gut that has caused me problems for as long as I can remember. I don't have any specific material to guide me in dealing with "mild" autistic spectrum issues. What I have read has focused on gluten and dairy, which I gave up long ago, and on supplements. I haven't tried every suggested supplement but since most of the ones I have tried have either had no effect or a negative effect, I don't see much point in continuing down that path.

I succeeded in stopping the fermentation symtoms by eliminating most veggies, and I dropped my carbs to 15-20 grams/day in the process. I eliminated sweet potatoes, reduced onions, and increased eggs and meat to compensate. I drink green tea with no sweetener. Now I see I need to reduce garlic a bit too. I am also backing off on fat a little because I can see (when I have a bowel movement) that I am not digesting it all, even with the added bile salts, and that can lead to another kind of fermentation.

I am a little puzzled by all the interest in the keto sticks. I guess I have just read too much about conventional medicine's use of "measures" to measure things that don't really tell you what you need to know. I can tell much just by how I feel in the morning, and I don't mean feeling well or sick. I take in everything I can sense. The two measurements I do follow are my hunger level (generally no hunger) and weight (dropping slowly).

There obviously were issues with some of the advice offered in the "tips" articles. I have a bit of an issue with "don't listen to your body." I do listen closely, but with "tuning" that I have refined over time. Actually, it is our minds that do most of the "talking," not our bodies, looking for excuses to quit and go be like everybody else again, and go back to being good "food" as well.

I am feeling a bit under the weather today with head ache, slight nausea and mild flu-like symptoms. I believe they are a detox reaction to the DMSA protocal that I am doing at the moment as I got flu-like symptoms on the 10th day of the first two-week cycle of DMSA that I did. This is now the 9th day of the second DMSA cycle so it would fit a pattern - albeit a small pattern. It could also be due to the fact that I had dinner with my mom at a restaurant last night where I had rib-eye steak and sauce bearnaise. I asked the waiter who confirmed that the bearnaise was made by clarified butter, egg yolk, scallions, herbs and white wine vinegar. Unfortunately, none of it was organic. It was absolutely delicious, but after finishing the meal I did feel a little bit off. I remember wondering whether it was due to the non-organic origins of the ingredients or what?

Regardless of cause, in order to aid the body I thought I would give it as little to work on as possible tonight and until I feel better. I have had plenty of protein and fat for breakfast. I was thinking to make a vegetable broth to ensure that I get some nutrients. However, I am unsure whether the carbs get carried over into the broth if I filter out the vegetables. Apologies if this is an ignorant question, but I have tried looking into it on the net and as far as I can see, it should be OK. I don't want to go above the 20 g mark if I can avoid it so rather be safe than sorry :)

Edit: added text

Thor said:
I was thinking to make a vegetable broth to ensure that I get some nutrients.

You might want to consider a bone and/or organ meat broth instead (add some salt). No carbs and as many nutrients as the vegetable one (plus lots of fat from the bone marrow).

RedFox said:
Thor said:
I was thinking to make a vegetable broth to ensure that I get some nutrients.

You might want to consider a bone and/or organ meat broth instead (add some salt). No carbs and as many nutrients as the vegetable one (plus lots of fat from the bone marrow).

Thanks, RedFox - that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get organic bones today from the organic butcher but if this persists I will get some tomorrow.

Life Without Bread and The Vegetarian Myth are arriving for me at my local library tomorrow. :)
My carbs are about 20g/day. Meanwhile, I've been catching up with the food threads and the book excerpts that I have not read yet. Thank you again for posting those.
I switched from sweet potatoes to foundation veggies: green beans w/ghee and/or a little lettuce (daily.) Upped Vit C to 3-5g a day. 1/2 teasp salt in water daily, magnesium citrate/malate 1-2g day. Still have to find good potassium. A little Xylitol in tea at times, but my craving for sweets (especially chocolate) has all but disappeared except for wanting a cappucino or espresso when I smell it. What a program. Boo Hoo.
Another thing is that if I don't get enough fat I know it because i will want some applesauce or some other sweet thing which at least I am not giving into, instead I eat more of something fatty. My time between meals has lengthened considerably.
I feel more energetic, but I have felt this for the last 3 weeks off and on (mostly on.) There are some days of low energy, but they seem fewer and farther between. Moods are more positive, but anger, depression or anxiety can still hit me--I can have a bad day, then I come out of that for several days. About 3 weeks ago I had debililtating depression and no energy for days on end.
Diarrhea once or twice a day, and occasional intestinal cramps are still with me due to upping Vit C and Mag probably, but at least this mostly keeps the constipation away. Once the colon problems are remedied, I probably will weigh at least 10 lbs less when all the gunk comes out. I have noticed all my clothes are looser.
It smells like bad/old stuff is coming out in the bowels, but not all at once. I might have to do this enema thing. I am guessing that back in May when I was stressed out with preparations to move, I was lowering carbs and having a lot of protein, but not enough fat, and this may have been the start of the constipation problem along with still eating a goodly amount of veggies. (Now I realize I should not have started a dietary change when stressed out, reading this recently in the New Atkins.)

SolarMother said:
Life Without Bread and The Vegetarian Myth are arriving for me at my local library tomorrow. :)
My carbs are about 20g/day. Meanwhile, I've been catching up with the food threads and the book excerpts that I have not read yet. Thank you again for posting those.
I switched from sweet potatoes to foundation veggies: green beans w/ghee and/or a little lettuce (daily.) Upped Vit C to 3-5g a day. 1/2 teasp salt in water daily, magnesium citrate/malate 1-2g day. Still have to find good potassium. A little Xylitol in tea at times,

Sounds good, but remember that foundation veggies and xylitol both have carbs as well - quite a bit actually, so you may be getting more carbs than you think. Laura discusses the xylitol issue either earlier in this thread or the vegetarian myth thread - not sure which, but those carbs add up quickly. fwiw.

Redfox said:

Very much in agreement with Redfox. I quit making broth with veggies a while ago and now(today even) have been making it with 'leftovers' from the butcher shop(organic, grass-fed too). At about $1/pound, I can make LOTS of broth and after eating, feel very satisfied, unlike the veggie broth.

About 40% bone, 40% fat and 20% beef.

Back
Top Bottom